PDA

View Full Version : A Weak Moment....Reversed

BlastFurnace
07-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Ok...the gas prices, rising grocery costs, and every other way people are getting my money caused me to do something about a month ago that I regretted....I cancelled my NFL Sunday Ticket. I was trying to save money I thought....trying to show my family that Dad could make the hard decisions too...but I was miserable at the thought of not being able to watch my Steelers every week.

Two days ago, after hearing a commercial about the NFL Ticket, I picked up the phone and righted the ship. I confessed to my wife that I couldn't live without the Steelers on TV. My wife...the Saint she is...told me she knew that I would not be able to do it, but that I had lasted longer than she thought I would before I called Direct TV and told them I had changed my mind.

That being said...and its been this way since I first starting viewing the NFL Ticket 7 years ago...other than the money I give to God on Sunday....it's the best $250.00 I spend all year long!

Here's to a winning season! :tt:

Atlanta Dan
07-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Glad to hear you came to your senses:drink:

Helpful hint to anyone who is faced with paying the additional $100 Superfan toll to get The Ticket games in HD - tell the customer service rep you have heard other DirecTV Ticket customers are getting Superfan at no additional charge (which is true) and say you want the same deal - that worked for me

Hammer Of The GODS
07-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Glad to hear you came to your senses:drink:

Helpful hint to anyone who is faced with paying the additional $100 Superfan toll to get The Ticket games in HD - tell the customer service rep you have heard other DirecTV Ticket customers are getting Superfan at no additional charge (which is true) and say you want the same deal - that worked for me

Are you serious?!? I "upgraded" to the new HDdvr and it took a shit on me. They sent me another one and it went south. Long story short I am on my 4th one and it's not workin right. So I suggested they give me the superfan pack for free for putting up with all the BS and they would not do it! I even talked to a so called supervisor and they wouldn't budge!

I have about 3-4 years before I can move back to my beloved Burgh. I dream of the day I can tell DTV to stick thier service in thier ass and die! I love sunday ticket but I hate DTV! Worst customer service ever! I hate that they have the NFL package monopolized!

Atlanta Dan
07-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Are you serious?!? I "upgraded" to the new HDdvr and it took a shit on me. They sent me another one and it went south. Long story short I am on my 4th one and it's not workin right. So I suggested they give me the superfan pack for free for putting up with all the BS and they would not do it! I even talked to a so called supervisor and they wouldn't budge!

I have about 3-4 years before I can move back to my beloved Burgh. I dream of the day I can tell DTV to stick thier service in thier ass and die! I love sunday ticket but I hate DTV! Worst customer service ever! I hate that they have the NFL package monopolized!

Call again and threaten to cancel The Ticket (or threaten to cancel your DVR service or something else because you need to "save" for Superfan) - DirecTV hates to report churn in its customer base and constantly gives discounts - when they screwed around on getting my HD dish installed on my roof 2 years ago I received all sorts of freebies

MACH1
07-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Call again and threaten to cancel The Ticket (or threaten to cancel your DVR service or something else because you need to "save" for Superfan) - DirecTV hates to report churn in its customer base and constantly gives discounts - when they screwed around on getting my HD dish installed on my roof 2 years ago I received all sorts of freebies

Their not to loose with the freebies anymore. Be careful if you tell that you want to cancel they just might take you up on it with a smile. Their doing what verizon (or whoever) did a few years ago by weeding out customers.

What you might try is playing customer service roulette. Call back every so often till you find one that wants to play ball. Other than that you just might be sh*t outa luck. :noidea:
Might try looking at DBSTalk forums, theres quite a few threads on the subject of ST, SF and trying to get freebies out of dtv.

http://www.dbstalk.com/index.php

Hammer Of The GODS
07-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Their not to loose with the freebies anymore. Be careful if you tell that you want to cancel they just might take you up on it with a smile. Their doing what verizon (or whoever) did a few years ago by weeding out customers.

What you might try is playing customer service roulette. Call back every so often till you find one that wants to play ball. Other than that you just might be sh*t outa luck. :noidea:
Might try looking at DBSTalk forums, theres quite a few threads on the subject of ST, SF and trying to get freebies out of dtv.

Thanks MACH. You're right about the freebies. They aren't given them out like they used to. Even if they are dropping the ball on service!

Preacher
07-18-2008, 01:31 AM
Hey..

Demand a NEW BLACK BOX.. not the silver ones. Tell them that the boards all over the net are saying those are the ones that are working... (they are).

You will ONLY accept one fo those, and will NOT accept anything else. Then, you will ALSO accept a discount for SuperFan... or a rebate on something else you have that is amenable to it.

Atlanta Dan
07-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Their not to loose with the freebies anymore.

I guess i got lucky - I got my free Superfan this week

MACH1
07-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey..

Demand a NEW BLACK BOX.. not the silver ones. Tell them that the boards all over the net are saying those are the ones that are working... (they are).

You will ONLY accept one fo those, and will NOT accept anything else. Then, you will ALSO accept a discount for SuperFan... or a rebate on something else you have that is amenable to it.

I think if you get the "black" box which is a HR21 model. They don't have a built in Over The Air tuner. So if you need to get channels OTA with antenna you need to get DTV's AM21 Tuner to go with it. If you do I would demand getting that free too.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-18-2008, 02:24 PM
I have the new "black" one. HR21-700. It is what I've had from the git go. It's a friggin bugs nest! Thing is forever freezing, not recording, or is just peanut butter shit slow! I am just hoping it works better after this new software update.

On a happier note..... it took a few calls to get the right CS putz, but I got my free superfan pack! Ironically, this "freebie" is something I should already get for the extra money I pay for HD service!

Now I'm primed for my Steelers in HD baby!

Thanks fellas!

MACH1
07-18-2008, 02:57 PM
I have the new "black" one. HR21-700. It is what I've had from the git go. It's a friggin bugs nest! Thing is forever freezing, not recording, or is just peanut butter shit slow! I am just hoping it works better after this new software update.

On a happier note..... it took a few calls to get the right CS putz, but I got my free superfan pack! Ironically, this "freebie" is something I should already get for the extra money I pay for HD service!

Now I'm primed for my Steelers in HD baby!

Thanks fellas!

If your interested there is a firmware Beta testing deal on DBStalk. Its called CE Testing (Cutting Edge). What it is, is you can force your unit to download the new firmware at a certain time when the beta will be in the stream. Usually its on friday and saturday nights between the hours of 11 pm - 2:30 am EST. Here lately its been almost every weekend. Don't think there is any this weekend, I haven't been notified yet for one.
They might solve some of your problems.

More info on them here......http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=90847

Don't let the warnings scare you. I've been doing these for over a year now and have had absolutely no problems with them yet. Knock on wood. :sofunny: All you need to do to get started is to join the site and subscribe to to this page and everytime theres an update it will automatically e-mail you.......http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=131949

Besides there is a big need for more Steelers fans over there. :helmet:

Hammer Of The GODS
07-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Thanks MACH. I have been reading about the CEs since you turn me onto the site. I am forcing a download 2nite but for the normal version. Because my version is old and I have seen posts over there from people who's stuff is working that have a newer version than mine. If that doesn't work I'm on board with the Beta.

Thanks a ton for your help! :hatsoff:

TroysBadDawg
07-19-2008, 05:01 AM
I guess I am cheap, I go to a sports bar that has a movie size screen (6 of them and they are all HD. ) I get to watch the Browns and Steelers at the same time if they are playing at the same time. No I don't stay to watch the Steelers if they play after the Browns, I am to tired yelling for my Browns, and sometimes to drunk although I am not supposed to drink anymore, but when people buy them for you it is just impolite not to drink them.

MACH1
07-19-2008, 12:10 PM
I guess I am cheap, I go to a sports bar that has a movie size screen (6 of them and they are all HD. ) I get to watch the Browns and Steelers at the same time if they are playing at the same time. No I don't stay to watch the Steelers if they play after the Browns, I am to tired yelling for my Browns, and sometimes to drunk although I am not supposed to drink anymore, but when people buy them for you it is just impolite not to drink them.

I used to go to the bar. It has something like 35 big screen plasmas. Problem is I spent more at the bar than what ST costs. :chuckle: And there were times the wiff weren't to proud of me by the time I got home. I'd usually stay for the morning, afternoon and night games. :alcohol: Needless to say the wife came around to my way of thinking, stay home and get toasted. :wink02: Now I just have to listen to her nag about watching football all day.

millwalldavey
07-19-2008, 12:15 PM
My friend has his sattelite dish and he was able to pick his channels west coast and east coast when he bought it. We never miss the Black and Gold and dont hafta pay for the ticket!

BlastFurnace
07-19-2008, 12:41 PM
I used to go to the bar. It has something like 35 big screen plasmas. Problem is I spent more at the bar than what ST costs. :chuckle: And there were times the wiff weren't to proud of me by the time I got home. I'd usually stay for the morning, afternoon and night games. :alcohol: Needless to say the wife came around to my way of thinking, stay home and get toasted. :wink02: Now I just have to listen to her nag about watching football all day.

Years ago, I used to go to the Sports Bar. It was fun, except for dudes literally wanting to brawl over the game and the fact that I felt like I aged 10 years when the game was over because of all the second hand smoke I inhaled because I also stayed pretty much all day.

Smoking is a pet peeve of mine and I have never understood getting in a fist fight over 53 guys who could care less about you.

The NFL Ticket works for me. I just hate the cost of it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-19-2008, 03:11 PM
My friend has his sattelite dish and he was able to pick his channels west coast and east coast when he bought it. We never miss the Black and Gold and dont hafta pay for the ticket!

Only the Steeler nation can say that three neighbors with one block of each other in illinois...(10 hours from the burgh)....Get together on Sundays to watch the games!!!!

TroysBadDawg
07-20-2008, 04:33 AM
Smoke is nolonger a problem in Ohio, Smoking is banned in bars, and the wife goes with me she is a Browns fan also. In fact the entire family goes, so I can't stay but for one game, they have other things we have to attend, and she is my non-drinking driver. If I get potted she takes me home I pour myself in bed and she runs the kids around. Until last year the Browns gave me a reason to get potted. Not this year, I hope.