PDA

View Full Version : If both were free agents...

xfl2001fan
07-18-2008, 05:50 PM
And you had to choose one, would you take Hester or Cribbs?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-0-44/Take-your-pick--Hester-or-Cribbs-.html

Naturally, I'd go for Cribbs, He still gets the yards, is a dangerous returner and the former QB is a reckless coverage guy! He's far more the type of player that the AFCN is known for!!!

Still, I'm interested in hearing the opinions of the opposition.

The Duke
07-18-2008, 06:05 PM
definitely cribbs

If I wanted some quick scores 4-6 times a year I'd take hester, but cribbs gives you constant good field position to your offense, and he can play on kick coverage(something our team has been lacking the past few years).

he's a complete athlete and can play a lot of positions. hester's good, a demon of speed and had his moments as a receiver, but I'd take cribbs any day of the week.

my favorite brown and the only one I'm actually afraid of

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-18-2008, 06:24 PM
hester. hands down.............hes commin around as a receiver..(and whos his QB). and he is more dangerous in special teams...

LambertIsGod58
07-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Both are great on returns....but I'd give the edge to Hester.

rbryan
07-18-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm pretty sure the Stillers wouldn't be looking at either one. Rooney's are too cheap remember??

xfl2001fan
07-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Who said that?

Godfather
07-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Cribbs is a former QB? Then we want him for the Slash role and gadget plays.

That's better than the returns because we have more control over when we pull it out.

CantStop85
07-18-2008, 10:01 PM
I would take Hester...he's a better returner and I think he has more upside as an offensive player.

Steelman16
07-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Neither. Moore can kick their butts any day of the week. :chuckle:

While I like Cribbs' all-around athletic ability, the nod goes to Hester. He already has a name for himself, in simple (well, relative term...ask, Willie Reid, Santo, etc...) return duties. When Hester gets back to return, many teams won't even punt to him now. There's something to be said about that.

I'm not really a big Hester fan, but I do find it amazing the niche he's carved himself in the NFL. And he's done it in such a way, that guys like him in FA and the draft are now hot commodities. If Hester turns the corner as a big(ger) time reciever, then he's got a good career ahead of him.

Galax Steeler
07-19-2008, 04:22 AM
I would have to go Hester I know Cribbs is one hell of a player and can get you good field position but I think Hester is just a bit better.

steelreserve
07-19-2008, 04:40 AM
Hester. He instantly evens out special teams no matter how bad everyone else sucks, which is huge for us.

Also, the hell with Cribbs as a triple threat/Slash player. We've already got Dixon for that if we choose to use him that way, and at maybe a third of the price.

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Wow, there is some serious Hester love going on! LOL

Couple of points, Hester hasn't really found his niche on offense or defense yet. He's been a part of a few gadget plays (a role which the Browns intend to use Cribbs in this season) but not much else. The Bears are trying to get him more involved in the offense, but that may impact his return game.

Dixon may or may not be good in a slash role. Right now, the gig is still out on him.

Cribbs just started returning punts last season. While Hester is a bigger flash in the pan, Cribbs is a steadier returner. His numbers would look better if the Browns would quit with the illegal blocks and holding calls on returns. lol

Cribbs has proven how tough he is by leading the Browns in ST tackles the last two seasons.

I don't expect to change anyones minds that have already posted, but it is stuff that you may not have considered.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Cribbs just started returning punts last season. While Hester is a bigger flash in the pan, Cribbs is a steadier returner. His numbers would look better if the Browns would quit with the illegal blocks and holding calls on returns. lol

Hmmmm, maybe that is why he is able to get those great returns!

Hester is the choice, but I would like to have either.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I would take Hester...he's a better returner and I think he has more upside as an offensive player.

Hester has very little upside as an offensive player...It is well known here near Chicago that he is not near smart enough to handle a playbook...The Bears can only play him sparingly as a reciever because he doesnt have the capacity to understand much beyond......"Catch the ball....now run"

That takes nothing away from his return ability...just wanted to clarify why the Bears utilize him the way they do.

stillers4me
07-19-2008, 11:31 AM
I think I'd give Willie Reid another chance.

:cya:

CantStop85
07-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Hester has very little upside as an offensive player...It is well known here near Chicago that he is not near smart enough to handle a playbook...The Bears can only play him sparingly as a reciever because he doesnt have the capacity to understand much beyond......"Catch the ball....now run"

That takes nothing away from his return ability...just wanted to clarify why the Bears utilize him the way they do.

I acknowledge that Hester's never going to be a #1 or #2 receiver, but I still think he has more upside than Josh Cribbs at that position. In his first year since switching from cornerback to wide receiver he had 299 yards and a couple of TD's. Not too shabby for a guy who's primarily a kick returner. He'll probably always be just a situational receiver, but even then, if he just gets a few screens or hitch/streak routes he's going to make some plays. Josh Cribbs, on the other hand, has produced just 135 yards and no TD's in 3 years of play at WR.

The Duke
07-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Couple of points, Hester hasn't really found his niche on offense or defense yet. He's been a part of a few gadget plays (a role which the Browns intend to use Cribbs in this season) but not much else. The Bears are trying to get him more involved in the offense, but that may impact his return game.

Dixon may or may not be good in a slash role. Right now, the gig is still out on him.

Cribbs has proven how tough he is by leading the Browns in ST tackles the last two seasons.

this is exactly why I like cribbs better.

btw, dixon's a QB until stated otherwise

I think I'd give Willie Reid another chance.

:cya:

where's colclough when we need him :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-19-2008, 01:15 PM
I acknowledge that Hester's never going to be a #1 or #2 receiver, but I still think he has more upside than Josh Cribbs at that position. In his first year since switching from cornerback to wide receiver he had 299 yards and a couple of TD's. Not too shabby for a guy who's primarily a kick returner. He'll probably always be just a situational receiver....,

Exactly...perhaps in a few years he can actually develope into more.

9-5
07-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Cribbs. Hester is a long way off from being a real every down receiver on a team with no real good receivers. Plus, he is a corner back who doesn't cover kicks. Cribbs, a college QB, does. And besides, Hester went to DA U, where classwork isn't required for football players

Devin Hester :noidea: Teacher :blah:

RoethlisBURGHer
07-19-2008, 04:52 PM
I'd take Cribbs.

Cribbs plays on all four ST units. He receivs kickoffs and punts, and he covers when the Browns kickoff and punt. He lead the Browsn in special teams tackles last season. He would willingly play any position on the field if asked to. He's listed as a wideout, but is developing. I heard that he'll be used a bit more as a WR this year.

Hester was drafted as a cornerback but can't cover a #5 wideout worth a darn. He isnt on the coverage team when his team kicks off or punts. He's an okay wideout, but will probally be nothing special. He's not very smart either, so I would expect him to have a big role in the offense. Basicly, other than kickoff and punt returns, he's worthless.

The Duke
07-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Cribbs. Hester is a long way off from being a real every down receiver on a team with no real good receivers. Plus, he is a corner back who doesn't cover kicks.

hey, good point. how is it that a cornerback can't even try to play kick coverage?

hester's an athlete, cribbs is a complete football player

X-Terminator
07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Cribbs. Better all-around ST player and DOESN'T FUMBLE. For all of the great returns that Hester provides, he fumbles way, way too much.

Elvis
07-20-2008, 06:20 AM
I would have to say I would choose "Rod Woodson or Louis Lipps":hatsoff:

revefsreleets
07-21-2008, 08:13 AM
Hester. He smokes a lot less pot.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-21-2008, 08:29 AM
hey, good point. how is it that a cornerback can't even try to play kick coverage?

hester's an athlete, cribbs is a complete football player

Right on the money....well put!

stlrtruck
07-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I'd take Cribbs because I believe he offers the team more options where Hester seems to be a ST player. Cribbs, IMHO, has the upswing on potential and could very well pass Hester if he snags the opportunity.

k7brown
07-22-2008, 09:25 AM
I would take Cribbs.