PDA

View Full Version : Farrior wants to re-sign

Aussie_steeler
07-19-2008, 01:00 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_578349.html

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, July 19, 2008

Starting inside linebacker James Farrior, 33, wants to finish his NFL career with the Steelers -- even if it means he has a reduced role in the years to come.
"They're always going to have somebody try and replace you," said Farrior, who has led the team in tackles in four of the previous five seasons. "That's always in the back of your mind."

Farrior, who has missed just eight games in 11 years, has been with the Steelers since 2002, when he was signed away from the Jets as a free agent to replace Earl Holmes.

The team's oldest starter, Farrior is entering the final year of a $16.4 million contract extension he signed in 2004. And while Farrior remains optimistic about a new deal, he is realistic enough to understand that the Steelers' track record for re-signing veterans over 30 isn't good.

"I love the team," Farrior said recently while training with speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. "I love the organization. I feel like this is a good home for me, and I'd love to stay. But we all know how the business goes. We've had a lot of great players come through the system that had to leave. That's part of the game. That's what you've got to realize."
Negotiations have been slow, according to Farrior, who said he probably wouldn't return to the Steelers without an extension before the start of the season.

"I don't think either party has really sat at the table and talked about too much, but we'll get things started," Farrior said. "I just want to get a feel for what they see as the future."

The Steelers do not comment on negotiations, but Farrior's agent, Ralph Cindrich, said there have been some talks.

"There is some communication," he said. "There is an interest in talking. They (Steelers) have not said definitely one way or the other if they will do it."

Shaw said Farrior told him he wants to play another four years.

"I feel like I'm going to let my body determine how long I play," Farrior said. "I still have a passion for the game. I want to be here. I want to sign. Hopefully, they feel the same. Hopefully, I'm playing good enough to where they can keep me around."

Added Cindrich: "His first four or five years, he wasn't utilized with the Jets. He didn't take a beating. It's like a boxer. Not how many years, but how many (punches) you take."

Training with Farrior at Disney's Wide World of Sports, Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor pleaded with management to re-sign his teammate.

"Mr. (Dan) Rooney, you've got to keep Potsie," Taylor said, using Farrior's nickname. "Coach T (Mike Tomlin), you've got to keep Potsie. Coach (Dick) Lebeau, you've got to keep Potsie."

Farrior's situation is different from that of linebacker Joey Porter and guard Alan Faneca, popular stars from the Super Bowl XL championship team whom the Steelers chose not to re-sign.

Unlike Porter and Faneca, who signed a record contract for guards with the Jets, Farrior said he isn't trying to break the bank with his next deal.

A starter with the Steelers since 2002, Farrior said he would share playing time with younger players such as Lawrence Timmons, the Steelers' No. 1 draft pick in 2007.

"The young guys are going to help our defense tremendously," Farrior said. "I look forward to working with them, no matter what capacity."

Farrior not only led the team with 111 tackles last season, but he also had six sacks and six passes defensed.

Asked how he would feel about not being an every-down linebacker, Farrior replied: "I don't really like to come off the field, but you never know. It might be something (where) those guys can give me a spell. If I have to come out, and the coaches want other players in there, that's what we'll do."

Farrior appeared in his only Pro Bowl following the 2004 season, when the Steelers finished 15-1 and missed the Super Bowl by one game. That year, he recorded 119 tackles, three sacks and four interceptions, and he defensed eight passes while finishing second to Baltimore's Ed Reed for NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Farrior could have made a case for more Pro Bowls. He had 154 tackles in 2006, 127 stops in 2003 and a career-high 175 in 2001, when he was with the Jets.

"James Farrior made it to only one Pro Bowl because he's not a big mouth," Shaw said. "It's a shame that in order for him to get attention, he has to draw away from his team to put it on himself. James is never going to do that."

Farrior said the lack of Pro Bowl attention does not bother him.

"I'm used to it by now," he said. "There are a lot of great linebackers, especially in the AFC. Every year you're going to have to do well just to get your name mentioned. The guys I play with, they know the type of player I am. I think I have that respect from those guy. That's what's important."

Lets hope that his desire, passion and commitment to team translates to a reasonable contract for both parties, that will allow him to stay in black & gold.

fansince'76
07-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Starting inside linebacker James Farrior, 33, wants to finish his NFL career with the Steelers -- even if it means he has a reduced role in the years to come....while Farrior remains optimistic about a new deal, he is realistic enough to understand that the Steelers' track record for re-signing veterans over 30 isn't good.

I don't foresee a problem resigning Farrior, if he's willing to sign an extension that actually reflects his more-than-likely reduced role. The reason the Steelers have such a "bad track record" in resigning over-30 veterans is that the vast majority of them want to be overpaid based on past performance, and thankfully that's not the way the Steelers' FO rolls.

The Duke
07-19-2008, 01:21 AM
And while Farrior remains optimistic about a new deal, he is realistic enough to understand that the Steelers' track record for re-signing veterans over 30 isn't good.

"I love the team," Farrior said recently while training with speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. "I love the organization. I feel like this is a good home for me, and I'd love to stay. But we all know how the business goes. We've had a lot of great players come through the system that had to leave. That's part of the game. That's what you've got to realize."

Hopefully it doesn't end like haggans who said almost the same things last year. he is way more valuable, so there should be no problem

"James Farrior made it to only one Pro Bowl because he's not a big mouth," Shaw said. "It's a shame that in order for him to get attention, he has to draw away from his team to put it on himself. James is never going to do that."

so true :helmet:

James teaching the young guys is also a positive. he needs to be back

Aussie_steeler
07-19-2008, 01:22 AM
I don't foresee a problem resigning Farrior, if he's willing to sign an extension that actually reflects his more-than-likely reduced role.

If he signs a big contract somewhere else then that team will want to get blood out of that stone. By accepting a smaller role with the steelers realistically he could play another 3 years with the steelers and ultimately earn more money.

I dont know much about Farrior but his leadership skills and knowledge of LeBeau's defence could also translate into a coaching role down the line (eg Darren Perry).

I also think that by starting with the Jets and then coming to the Steelers Im guessing he can appreciate the differences that occur between organisations. Why change if you like and appreciate where you are. ( Better the devil you know)

WWIIOwheelz
07-19-2008, 01:26 AM
Farrior has been one of my favorite players on the team ever since we got him. I'd so love for the Steelers to sign him for an extension, but like him, I see history as being a pretty good indicator of what will happen. I've liked a lot of defensive players who have been allowed to go once they are past 30. :(

Steelman16
07-19-2008, 02:21 AM
I have a feeling that he'll be back. He sounds like he's not too worried about the big cash deal, and I'm sure those looming Super Bowl rings are in the back of his mind too. I'd have to say if we didn't at least make it to a SB within 4 years, we've got something wrong.

Players make extra money during the playoffs, right? So, if we went to and won a Super Bowl, I think it might even itself out in the end.

But, we'll see. :helmet:

jjpro11
07-19-2008, 02:42 AM
i'd love to see him stay.. he has always been nice to the fans from what i saw when at training camp. he may end up being one of the most underrated steelers players of all time after he is done here. he had 141 tackles in 2003, he came in second for the defensive player of the year in 2004, was a leader on the super bowl winning team in 2005, and has arguably been the most consistent and productive linebacker since then. he just knows how to play linebacker.

paw-n-maul-u
07-19-2008, 03:57 AM
The more the Farrior the merrier ... atleast as far as ILB's go on our team. Boy I sure hope he takes a reduced role contract, he could be the Donnie Edwards of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Donnie played for like four years past his prime in SD, and even did good last year in KC.

Farrior's workout ethic and game smarts can easily make him a very solid starter for another 3-5.

Galax Steeler
07-19-2008, 04:54 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him resign with the team he should be good for another 3 years and could teach the young ones coming in and would add depth at the position.

redst3
07-19-2008, 05:38 AM
He has his head on straight and he knows what he is doing out there. A person like that who is willing to work for less so that he can hang it up as a Steeler is the kind of guy you want to keep. He sounds like future coaching material some where.

SteelersMongol
07-19-2008, 09:35 AM
... Farrior's situation is different from that of linebacker Joey Porter and guard Alan Faneca, popular stars from the Super Bowl XL championship team whom the Steelers chose not to re-sign.

Unlike Porter and Faneca, who signed a record contract for guards with the Jets, Farrior said he isn't trying to break the bank with his next deal...

Which means he's like our man good old Jerome. 1 good enough reason to sign him.

redst3
07-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I was also reminded of Jerome when i read it

Hammer Of The GODS
07-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Farrior is class. I hope that they get something done but if James means what he says about not staying if an extension isn't reached before the season starts, then he might be going elsewhere. It's a pretty good bet the the FO will wait until they see not only how well he plays this year, but also how well Bruce Davis and Mike Humpal look at his position.

steeltheone
07-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Five more years as a starter is really pushing it!

meelanova
07-19-2008, 06:53 PM
Five more years as a starter is really pushing it!

I think so too. Maybe 2 more years, maybe. But the Steelers keep their players young. But Farrior's case may be like Bettis's. I dont think Farrior has the fame Bettis had.

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 07:01 PM
I don't think Farrior believes he'll be a starter for 5 more years. He even mentioned taking a lesser role if need be.

Preacher
07-19-2008, 07:01 PM
I like the idea of farrior, at 35. 36 years of age, coming off the bench in the latter half of the year to spell our LB's in big games. You just know he will keep in shape. He knows the team and the responsibilities.

The Duke
07-19-2008, 09:42 PM
I don't think Farrior believes he'll be a starter for 5 more years.

hey, if junior seau can anybody can :chuckle:

I like the idea of farrior, at 35. 36 years of age, coming off the bench in the latter half of the year to spell our LB's in big games. You just know he will keep in shape. He knows the team and the responsibilities.

that would be nice. again, seau can still do it

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 11:19 PM
hey, if junior seau can anybody can :chuckle:

that would be nice. again, seau can still do it

It's possible, but I think that Pittsburgh has a history of finding good LBs and that he won't likely be a starter. There always seems to be some young talent waiting to make a name for himself over there.

Preacher
07-20-2008, 12:37 AM
It's possible, but I think that Pittsburgh has a history of finding good LBs and that he won't likely be a starter. There always seems to be some young talent waiting to make a name for himself over there.

Though we don't need a starter.. what we need is a solid backup for the back half of the season.

Dawgbone
07-20-2008, 01:09 AM
I think the Steelers should go for it. Who are they going to have to take his spot? They only have James Farrior, Larry Foote, and Lamar Woodley. Lawrence Timmons isn't really anything great.

The Browns can relate we are weak at LB also. The only thing we have going for us, is that they are young. Kamerion Wimbley, D'Qwell Jackson, Leon Williams are going to have a ball this season. Also Andra Davis is in the mix, but really isn't young anymore.

Steeldude
07-20-2008, 01:58 AM
as long as the steelers do not overpay him.

Steeldude
07-20-2008, 02:00 AM
I think the Steelers should go for it. Who are they going to have to take his spot? They only have James Farrior, Larry Foote, and Lamar Woodley. Lawrence Timmons isn't really anything great.

timmons being great, poor, average or good has yet to really be determined. could he be any worse than foote? i doubt it.

Dawgbone
07-20-2008, 02:14 AM
Well apparently if he's not starting over him. I personally think Foote isn't really a bad LB, of course I don't pay attention to your guys football team that well.

MACH1
07-20-2008, 03:15 AM

Not to mention the on the field and sideline guidance (coaching) he can do.

Elvis
07-20-2008, 07:03 AM
I hope that we can get a 2 year deal or so out of him, but with Timmons coming on strong I dont know if the steelers can afford to hold him back much longer..
:tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-20-2008, 11:31 AM
As much as I dont like and think the Steelers will sign a guy that will be 34 next season to a 3 or 4 year deal......I think it would be great.

If Timmons beats out Foote for the start this season, you then have Farrior and Timmons starting inside and really dont have to worry about ILB for a few more seasons. Farrior is a durable pro that stays in shape.

If Timmons is a bust(I doubt he will), then you still have a solid guy like Farrior to build around with or without Foote. IMO, he is a guy like Seau with longevity that WANTS to be a Steeler.

The Duke
07-20-2008, 12:29 PM
if farrior leaves he probably goes to the pats. we don't want that, and neither do you mr rooney :flap:

HometownGal
07-20-2008, 01:32 PM
i'd love to see him stay.. he has always been nice to the fans from what i saw when at training camp. he may end up being one of the most underrated steelers players of all time after he is done here. he had 141 tackles in 2003, he came in second for the defensive player of the year in 2004, was a leader on the super bowl winning team in 2005, and has arguably been the most consistent and productive linebacker since then.

I'm with you jjpro. :thumbsup: Farrior has been an unsung hero on that D since he arrived here and still has a lot of gas left in that tank imho. His love of the game (and the Steelers), never wavering leadership and taking the younger guys under his wing only make him all the more valuable to this team and franchise, in addition to his still very sharp skills, intensity, productivity and work ethic. :thumbsup: Farrior has been my favorite present-day Steelers player since the first game I watched him play donning a Steelers uni. :tt03:

KEEP JAMES FARRIOR IN THE BLACK AND GOLD! :tt02::tt02::tt02:

redst3
07-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Farrior has been an unsung hero on that D since he arrived here and still has a lot of gas left in that tank imho. :

Really, i would even say he was an unsung hero for the Jets before he came to the Burgh.

steelreserve
07-22-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't see a problem with keeping him another 4 years. I don't think there's much risk of signing him to a big contract and then having him not be able to cut it anymore.

Sounds like he's kind of reasonable about what kind of demands to make at this age, and he strikes me as the kind of guy who, if he starts getting too worn out to play well, he'd just retire instead of sit there sucking up money and a roster spot.

revefsreleets
07-22-2008, 08:24 PM
This is just the set-up for him to leave. He'll do it on good terms because he was respectful and said the right things. There is ZERO chance the Steelers sign him to a 4-year deal, but there are plenty of teams who will take the bait and get a quality year or two out of him. And, Hell, why not? He was a great linebacker on a Super Bowl winning team, and he earned his payday, just like Faneca and Kimo did...just not on a bottom-line-savvy team like the Steelers.