PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben Makes Hines Ward Burn

GBMelBlount
07-19-2008, 09:32 AM
Big Benís comments make Hines Ward burn bright

By James Pete | July 18th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

Ben Roethlisberger had an agenda this offseason. The 6′5″ quarterback was looking to sign a contract extension that would make him the highest paid player in Pittsburgh Steelers history. This would come to fruition in the first week of March, when the Steelers signed Roeth to an eight-year, $102 million dollar deal. On top of the contract, Roethlisberger also had visions of Plaxico Burress dancing around in his head. Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post Gazette in January that he wanted a tall receiver.

ďIím always going to ask for a tall receiver,Ē Roethlisberger said in the interview. ďThatís just me. Our receivers are unbelievable, but our tallest guy might be Hines. Or Santonio. Hines is going to say heís 6 foot, but heís 5-11. In the red zone, itís nice to have a guy like that,Ē Roethlisberger went on to say. ďObviously, we have a guy like Nate who can jump out of this world, he can jump so high. Itís nice to have that. But to have a big guy who can create mismatches ó the same thing happened when Plax was here. So much presence went to Plaxís side just because heís a big, good receiver, that Hines was always open or Antwaan. I just think it would open stuff up for us a lot more.Ē

The Steelers then drafted the 6′4″, University of Texas wide receiver, Limas Sweed in the second round of the NFL draft. The athletic Sweed has a knack for the endzone, and was just the player that Roethlisberger was asking for.

Hines Ward was more than fired up, and I think that is a good thing.

Ward spoke out before Roeth signed his contract, and before the draft, and didnít seem all that pleased with Roethís comments.

ďTo me, I have enough problems to worry about than what Ben wants ó I canít give him the contract,Ē Ward said, referring to Roethlisbergerís contract. ďHe wants a tall receiver? Why did we draft Santonio? ďTo me, I like the four guys we have. This is Benís first year with Bruce Arians, and he had a tremendous year, a Pro Bowl year. I think heís coming into his own. We have weapons, letís gel together a couple more years and letís see what happens. If they go and get a tall receiver in the first round, someoneís got to lose a job. Now we had all these weapons around us, now what are we going to do? I was here with me, Plax and Antwaan; we had three deadly weapons. Did that win us a Super Bowl? No, the year we won the Super Bowl we had me, Antwaan and Cedrick Wilson. If thereís a formula for bringing a tall guy in to win, I donít buy that.Ē

Hines Ward, chippy as he already is, probably had good reason to be irritated this offseason. During the 2005 offseason, Ward wanted an extension to his contract. The Steelers didnít initiate a new deal, and Ward decided to hold out. He held out for two weeks, before coming back to camp, and would eventually sign a new four-year deal in September. Roeth had a relatively stress-free negotiation, and the Steelers really didnít concede anything to Ďtheir face of the franchise.í Iím sure the signing made Ward happy, but at the same time, brought up unhappy memories for the wideout about the bumpy road he and the Steelers took towards his own extension. Ward was, at the time, arguably the most popular Steelersí player not named Bettis.

Then Roeth came out and asked for a tall receiver. True or not (I happen to think itís true), the comment had to be a slap in the face to Ward, and his fellow starter Santonio Holmes, who had eight receiving TDís last year, and had a better yards-per-catch average than guys like Randy Moss. The anger probably doesnít stop there either. The Steelers do have 6′5″ Heath Miller, who was drafted to be a red-zone threat, and had 7 TDís last year. The Steelers also drafted 6′7″ Matt Spaeth, to give the Steelers a two tight-end, red zone threat. Spaeth didnít make many splashes in the offense his first year, but itís believe that Bruce Arians plans to use him more this season.

The Steelers also have 6′1″ Nate Washington, who is slowly developing into a servicable wide receiver, and as Roeth said, can jump out of Heinz Field. They also drafted the 6′3″ Dallas Baker, ďthe touchdown makerĒ in 2007, who many think also has the skills to be a serious red zone threat, if given the opportunity.

The key to the drafting of Limas Sweed is wearing the #86 jersey. Since the draft, Hines Ward has been nothing but the best teammate he could be to Sweed. Expect nothing less from the highly professional wide receiver. There is no doubt that he sees Sweed as being a plus to the offense. Sweed does possess several intangibles that I see as being similar to Ward. Sweed isnít afraid to catch balls in traffic, and was known as a solid blocker as a wide receiver. Ward likely notices this, and will do whatever he can to help him improve as a football player.

At the same time, you know that Hines Ward isnít going to soon forget anything that happened this offseason. Thereís no doubt in my mind that Ward decided long before the 2008 draft, that he was going to prove that Ben Roethlisberger was wrong. The only thing stopping Ward in the last two seasons were injuries, and that if he can play a season healthy, heíd be the same dangerous threat that was rolling out 1,300 yard seasons before Roeth even suited up for the Steelers.

Whether Roethlisberger did it on purpose, or not, Hines Ward is fired upÖ

and we all know that a fired up Hines Ward is very, very dangerous.

Look for Ward to come out this season with a chip on his shoulder, and if he stays healthy, will give the Steelersí nation something to smile about.

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/18/big-bens-comments-makes-hines-ward-burn-bright/

Hammer Of The GODS
07-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Excellent read.
Hines is definately in my top ten favorite Steelers players list. ( man that list is getting hard to keep at ten :chuckle:)
The only problem I see this year with our offense is keeping everyone happy. I mean just look at the talent folks. I am tellin ya, if the Oline is just a couple ticks better than last year this could be the most explosive offense that the Burgh has ever seen( that includes the 70s teams )! The oline is the variable though. There MUST be better play from the Oline.

Tankus_Maximus
07-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Sweeeet.

As if Hines didn't need any more motivation, a Hines with a chip on his shoulder is going to be very productive.

Epic.

stillers4me
07-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Nothing not to like in HInes Ward! I love watching him catch, block, hit and most of all .....score!

And I don't blame Ben for wanting "a perfect world". He wants to win, any way he can.

Galax Steeler
07-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Great read I want to see Hines ward get fired up and get him another 1300 yard season and several touchdowns to go with it.

rbryan
07-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Hines pissed?? Ed Reed needs to keep his head up.....lol

Bart Scott too. That guy talks a lot of trash for someone who's not much bigger than Hines.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Nothing not to like in HInes Ward! I love watching him catch, block, hit and most of all .....score!

And I don't blame Ben for wanting "a perfect world". He wants to win, any way he can.

And I don't blame Ben for not throwing the REAL culprits under the bus. In a "perfect world" Ben wouldn't get pummeled within a fraction of a second after the snap.

Just try falling backwards. The last thing you see are the tallest objects in the sky. But Ben. Just because you may see the tallest receiver on the field doesn't mean you'll get the ball to him. Hence the totally ridiculous interceptions at pivotal moments.

In Super Bowl XL the team with the tallest receivers LOST. A rather large fact that Ben might forget. I'll take timing and proper routes over height any day. If we can get both then outstanding. But the focus is on the four or five guys in front of Ben. Not outside of Ben.

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm waiting for the comments to come. If I had mentioned working on the O-line before you guyy, I'd have gotten flamed. In fact, I have mentioned it in other threads and been flamed.

I've seen a lot of people here say that the O-line needs to improve...but in other thread (other "fans") believe the O-line is already improved. You all need to get your heads together and figure out if your O-line is ok or not, at least before you start flaming Browns fans.

Personally, I think it's the weakest link on your offense, which could lend to some serious issues in the upcoming years.

fansince'76
07-19-2008, 04:09 PM
I've seen a lot of people here say that the O-line needs to improve...but in other thread (other "fans") believe the O-line is already improved. You all need to get your heads together and figure out if your O-line is ok or not, at least before you start flaming Browns fans.

Personally, I think it's the weakest link on your offense, which could lend to some serious issues in the upcoming years.

So all Browns fans are in 100% agreement on what their team's strengths and weaknesses are? I think Browns fans should worry a little more about the Browns, personally.

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 04:16 PM
So all Browns fans are in 100% agreement on what their team's strengths and weaknesses are? I think Browns fans should worry a little more about the Browns, personally.

I worry about the Browns on a Browns website. This is a Steelers website. So I'll add my input regarding the Steelers here.

fansince'76
07-19-2008, 04:19 PM
I worry about the Browns on a Browns website. This is a Steelers website. So I'll add my input regarding the Steelers here.

So my input (i.e. constant negative criticism) would be welcome on a Browns board, huh? Somehow I doubt it.

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Actually, there are Steelers fans that are on browns247.com.

We don't mind constructive criticism. For the most part, the guys on that site (the active ones anyways) are pretty aware of what improvements need to be made. We are aware of the weaknesses of our QBs, WRs, TEs, Dline, etc...

RoethlisBURGHer
07-19-2008, 05:09 PM
While I agree that the weakest link of our offense is the line, I also beleive that as long as Hartwig starts at center we'll be upgraded and play better than last season.

It's been said that Kemoeatu was ready to start last season but was behind Faneca and Simmons. With Faneca gone, we have someone in line who is young and hungry.

Faneca is still great at what he does, but he has shown decline in the past two years and is not going to get any better. He wanted to be the highest paid offensive lineman in the league, and the Steelers weren't going to give him that kind of contract.

As for the article, I am glad Hines Ward is pissed. Now he can go out there with that chip on his shoulder and "prove Ben wrong" as the article puts it.

I think we drafted Sweed for two reasons:

1. Make Ben Roethlisberger happy. Here's your tall receiver, now shut up and throw touchdowns.

2. Eventual replacment for Hines Ward. In football years, he's getting old. Especially with the beating he takes and gives out every week. he hasn't play a complete season in a few years. Ward can't play forever, and Sweed will eventually be the guy that steps in when Ward retires.

WWIIOwheelz
07-19-2008, 05:25 PM
1. Make Ben Roethlisberger happy. Here's your tall receiver, now shut up and throw touchdowns.

LOL! True, that.

Hines walking the walk is more appealing than the one who talks the talk, but he does both, and that's just him. That chip on his shoulder about his perception of being looked past or disrespected will never go away, but it doesn't affect how he performs.

I think Ben likes having a tall receiver for the go-to guy when plays get improvisational. Hard to fault him for that, and it will be nice to see if Ben clicks with him.

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Maybe I missed the talk, because he never came across as a guy who talked much. He's like having a small TE out there play WR, because he's freaking vicious in the run game. I think he's given some cheap shots, but most WRs take far more of those than they give, so I won't hold it against him too much. lol

As I've stated elsewhere, I wouldn't count on Sweed being a huge factor for a few seasons. The odds are against him as it (typically) takes a WR three years to really "get it." That's not to say it couldn't happen sooner, but there's no real reason for the Steelers to rush him along at this time.

billybob
07-19-2008, 06:18 PM
Maybe I missed the talk, because he never came across as a guy who talked much. He's like having a small TE out there play WR, because he's freaking vicious in the run game. I think he's given some cheap shots, but most WRs take far more of those than they give, so I won't hold it against him too much. lol

As I've stated elsewhere, I wouldn't count on Sweed being a huge factor for a few seasons. The odds are against him as it (typically) takes a WR three years to really "get it." That's not to say it couldn't happen sooner, but there's no real reason for the Steelers to rush him along at this time.

There really is no reason that a Browns fan should be on our site,and worrying about what kind of offensive line we are going to field this season. Must be pretty boring on the Browns site. Gotta come here to get some kind of football fix i guess.I think its pretty pathetic.And stop worrying about our offensive and defensive lines.You will come to know soon enough how much they have improved,with the change it up play calling that all teams will experience this season!!!!!!!

Preacher
07-19-2008, 06:32 PM

Cheap shots?

Until the whistle blows, if you are ANYWHERE in the vacinity of the football... you are going to get hit.

That isn't cheapshotting, that is playing ball.

I know the Browns whine and cry about Wards hit last year... but they had better get used to it... If they actually play to win games now, the other teams aren't going to take it easy on them anymore.

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 07:08 PM
There really is no reason that a Browns fan should be on our site,and worrying about what kind of offensive line we are going to field this season. Must be pretty boring on the Browns site. Gotta come here to get some kind of football fix i guess.I think its pretty pathetic.And stop worrying about our offensive and defensive lines.You will come to know soon enough how much they have improved,with the change it up play calling that all teams will experience this season!!!!!!!

Maybe I find this site interesting because I get a better perspective on the Steelers team than I would from a Browns fan site.

I also tend to type fast and visit both sites adding input where I feel the need. Asking questions when I'm not sure. ETC...

I type fast and read fast, so it's not like it takes much time for me to read and catch up on what's been said.

Once football season does actually get started, I'll have a little less time here because I'll really be hitting up sites like footballoutsiders and (of course) ESPN/Sportsline/Sports Illustrated. Right now, when the majority of the conversations is about the whole asinine Favre issue and the regurgitated information that comes right after the draft, it's hard to stay on those particular sites.

As for your lines, I'm not actually all that worried about it. As a Browns fan, I like that you did nothing for depth on those lines. I like that you let (an admittedly regressing) Feneca go. I loved seeing two of your quality coaches go to Arizona. When I speak of your lines, I speak as a fan of football. There are basic rules to football that (appear as if they are) being ignored.

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Cheap shots?

Until the whistle blows, if you are ANYWHERE in the vacinity of the football... you are going to get hit.

That isn't cheapshotting, that is playing ball.

I know the Browns whine and cry about Wards hit last year... but they had better get used to it... If they actually play to win games now, the other teams aren't going to take it easy on them anymore.

Actually, I wasn't referring to any shots he took on Browns players. I don't remember him doing anything (in the games I watched) that would have been considered dirty.

I remember there being some issues last season with shots he took on other players. Again, I could care less. I don't recall anyone getting hurt or the whistle blowing the play dead (and that's something that wouldn't generally escape me.)

Hammer Of The GODS
07-19-2008, 07:30 PM
I think he's given some cheap shots, but most WRs take far more of those than they give, so I won't hold it against him too much.

That's a typical remark from the other side. Those are not cheap shots, you are just not used to seeing a WR be so aggresive! Hines is tougher than woodpecker lips and DBs and LBs have been bitching ever since he took the field!

Maybe thats the way it is in cleveland and other places that have no other playmakers. But this guy will make an impact immediately because he really just needs to catch the ball when it comes his way. The OC will not overcomplicate things for him. Basic routes and assignments is what he will see to start. I'm willing to bet that his stats will be close to 50 catches, 600 yards and 6-7 tds. And if he makes plays for Ben he'll have even beter stats!

Back to the Ward thing. I believe this is being blown out of proportion. I think Hines is using it to help motivate himself. I don't think there will be any true animosity between Hines and Ben. Remember how things went down when he first got to the burgh? 1st the guy fell to the 3rd round because teams were scared away because he was missing the ACL in his left knee. Then he kept getting overlooked by the coaching staff which was evident by the team drafting Troy Edwards('99) and Burress('00) both 1st rounders and both eventually overshadowed by Hines and sent packing! Hines is using this "we need a taller WR and Hines is getting old" talk to motivate himself. It will benefit this team all year long!

:tt03:

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Back to the Ward thing. I believe this is being blown out of proportion. I think Hines is using it to help motivate himself. I don't think there will be any true animosity between Hines and Ben. Remember how things went down when he first got to the burgh? 1st the guy fell to the 3rd round because teams were scared away because he was missing the ACL in his left knee. Then he kept getting overlooked by the coaching staff which was evident by the team drafting Troy Edwards('99) and Burress('00) both 1st rounders and both eventually overshadowed by Hines and sent packing! Hines is using this "we need a taller WR and Hines is getting old" talk to motivate himself. It will benefit this team all year long!

:tt03:

Your OC won't complicate things? It's a Steelers fan who was flaming me for getting on Ben and his sack rate saying that the OC calls the long-developing plays and such. You think he'll tone it down for Sweed? I am pretty sure he didn't for Santonio, so I doubt he will for Sweed. The fact that you have Ward, Wilson and Holmes is an added reason why I don't think Sweed will have much of an impact. He's got guys in front of him that already know the offense.

When's the last time that Pittsburgh had a rookie WR make a serious impact?

Santonio Holmes was decent, but not great. Plaxico's rookie season isn't worth braggin about. Same with Hines Ward. I'm struggling to remember your drafted WR's outside of that.

I'm amazed that you think because you have playmakers that this kid will instantly be one too. The playmakers will be getting the looks, not some confused rookie.

I think that there are few players in the NFL that don't get some cheap shots in. Doesn't matter the position. Maybe it's a legal hit, but if it's away from the play, it's not really necessary. That's a general statement. I feel like WR's tend to take more shots than they give, which is why it is refreshing to see a guy like Ward (when he's not playing against the Browns) play the way he does.

Having played WR/TE in HS, I know I've been "hit" far more often than I got to hit, but when the opportunity arose, I did everything I could to lay the wood. My favorite HS memory was trucking a LB on a sweep in my direction and then blasting the SS that was coming up to make the tackle. That neither guy was looking at me (or had discounted me) didn't matter. They were perfectly legal hits that allowed our Wingback to run for a 76 yard touchdown. That's football.

I've also said for years that I'd take Hines Ward in his prime over Randy Moss in his prime any day of th week, because Hines doesn't take plays off. He plays the hard nosed brand of football that Cleveland needs to be getting to.

Do I think he's given some cheap shots. Certainly, but there aren't many who haven't at some point. Would I take him on my team to teach my WR's how to play the position. Absolutely.

Preacher
07-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Your OC won't complicate things? It's a Steelers fan who was flaming me for getting on Ben and his sack rate saying that the OC calls the long-developing plays and such. You think he'll tone it down for Sweed? I am pretty sure he didn't for Santonio, so I doubt he will for Sweed. The fact that you have Ward, Wilson and Holmes is an added reason why I don't think Sweed will have much of an impact. He's got guys in front of him that already know the offense.

Santonio Holmes was decent, but not great. Plaxico's rookie season isn't worth braggin about. Same with Hines Ward. I'm struggling to remember your drafted WR's outside of that.

I'm amazed that you think because you have playmakers that this kid will instantly be one too. The playmakers will be getting the looks, not some confused rookie.

I think that there are few players in the NFL that don't get some cheap shots in. Doesn't matter the position. Maybe it's a legal hit, but if it's away from the play, it's not really necessary. That's a general statement. I feel like WR's tend to take more shots than they give, which is why it is refreshing to see a guy like Ward (when he's not playing against the Browns) play the way he does.

Having played WR/TE in HS, I know I've been "hit" far more often than I got to hit, but when the opportunity arose, I did everything I could to lay the wood. My favorite HS memory was trucking a LB on a sweep in my direction and then blasting the SS that was coming up to make the tackle. That neither guy was looking at me (or had discounted me) didn't matter. They were perfectly legal hits that allowed our Wingback to run for a 76 yard touchdown. That's football.

I've also said for years that I'd take Hines Ward in his prime over Randy Moss in his prime any day of th week, because Hines doesn't take plays off. He plays the hard nosed brand of football that Cleveland needs to be getting to.

Do I think he's given some cheap shots. Certainly, but there aren't many who haven't at some point. Would I take him on my team to teach my WR's how to play the position. Absolutely.

1. Our WR's didn't shine the first year for two reasons 1. We had an unbelievably complicated play book on offense. Every OC over the last 13 years came in and added to it, without taking out things. In the end, there was a hodgepodge of 5 different systems. Now... that has ALL been replaced with 1 single system.

2.. Our WR's came in to a system that was run first, run always, fake the pass and run again. There simply wasn't enough balls THROWN to let a receiver actually HAVE a breakout season.

3. We don't have Wilson anymore. Washington has a case of the dropsies... so Sweed may be a number 3 WR this year. With the number of three WR sets Arians uses, that means Sweed will see the field, quite a bit provided he can beet out Washington and Baker.

Aussie_steeler
07-19-2008, 09:51 PM

My favourite moment was scoring four touchdowns in HS football game.

It was such a legendary moment it has forever been immortalised by EA sports

If Big Ben had me in the backfield he would never need to pass. Then Hines would truly be pissed.

Lets keep swapping High School football stories. This is fun.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/9/0/b/90b811957c169fe10f7d03872f042604.jpg

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-19-2008, 10:27 PM

If Big Ben had me in the backfield he would never need to pass. Then Hines would truly be pissed.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/9/0/b/90b811957c169fe10f7d03872f042604.jpg

annndd...Whats wrong with playing High School Ball? I played all four years in High School and had an awesome time duing it, made some really cool friends in the process and also had a better fundamental understanding of the game.

Thats arrogant smugness to disrespect someones playing days, I'm sorry but without High School Football there would be no Pro Football.

fansince'76
07-19-2008, 10:40 PM
annndd...Whats wrong with playing High School Ball? I played all four years in High School and had an awesome time duing it, made some really cool friends in the process and also had a better fundamental understanding of the game.

Thats arrogant smugness to disrespect someones playing days, I'm sorry but without High School Football there would be no Pro Football.

C6cxNR9ML8k

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
07-19-2008, 10:40 PM
C6cxNR9ML8k

:sofunny:

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 11:15 PM

:coffee:

Ahh, the sarcasm never ends. I had a few good plays blocking for our run game, got lit up a few more times and never had a college scout look at me. I talked about what I felt was my best play in HS ball (which means that there was little else to talk about). I never claimed to be a superb athlete, so your jack-assery really was unnecessary.

It's amazing how I can talk up your WR but I get blasted for doing so. I did point out that other people have mentioned cheap shots, but that I was OK with how he played. I mentioned the only time I didn't like to see him was lining up against my team. And I get your asinine response.

xfl2001fan
07-19-2008, 11:18 PM
1. Our WR's didn't shine the first year for two reasons 1. We had an unbelievably complicated play book on offense. Every OC over the last 13 years came in and added to it, without taking out things. In the end, there was a hodgepodge of 5 different systems. Now... that has ALL been replaced with 1 single system.

2.. Our WR's came in to a system that was run first, run always, fake the pass and run again. There simply wasn't enough balls THROWN to let a receiver actually HAVE a breakout season.

3. We don't have Wilson anymore. Washington has a case of the dropsies... so Sweed may be a number 3 WR this year. With the number of three WR sets Arians uses, that means Sweed will see the field, quite a bit provided he can beet out Washington and Baker.

Even if Arians was to "dummy down" the offense, Sweed is still pretty far behind the power curve when it comes to the complexity of an NFL offense. He's not a "can't-miss-freak-of-nature" prospect, though he is talented.

Barring injuries, he won't likely be your #3 til next year.

Aussie_steeler
07-19-2008, 11:29 PM
:coffee:
Ahh, the sarcasm never ends. .

Steelers Board --> Browns Fan posting--> Sarcasm from steelers fan = everyday occurence

get used to it. We get treated the same way on opponents boards.:wave:

fansince'76
07-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Even if Arians was to "dummy down" the offense, Sweed is still pretty far behind the power curve when it comes to the complexity of an NFL offense. He's not a "can't-miss-freak-of-nature" prospect, though he is talented.

Barring injuries, he won't likely be your #3 til next year.

I'll take our WR coach's word for it that he could step into the #3 spot as a rook....

Randy Fichtner, who coaches the Steelers wide receivers, believes Sweed can be an integral part of the Steelers offense as a rookie.

"I don't think there's any question," Fichtner said. "Obviously there's a learning curve, but that hits everybody. But I know that he's capable of learning."

Fichtner envisioned Sweed claiming the No. 3 job this year. Moments after they drafted him, he said, "It tickles you to death because you're looking at a three group that's really strong and a possibility of Nate Washington being four is really exciting."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08127/879441-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

CantStop85
07-19-2008, 11:40 PM
Steelers Board --> Browns Fan posting--> Sarcasm from steelers fan = everyday occurence

lol yeah, I've been here longer than most of the people who still post here, but I still get it all the time...in fact, I'm sensing a "Bungles suck" comment in my very near future. :chuckle:

moedap
07-19-2008, 11:50 PM
If Sweeds ability to beat the jam transcends to the NFL it will help open up a lot of the 3 step drop and 5 step drop routes: quick slants, 5 to 10 and out or in, comebacks and curls. I dont know if its because Big Ben is so tall or if its because the D lines know how to raise the bottom horizontal of the passing lane but Hines usually has to go up to get those(and he pays the price smiling). Sweed makes that throw easier for Big Ben. The read becomes easier as Sweed makes more plays.

Preacher
07-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Hey... Bungle fan..

http://groomlake.net/images/poesports/bengalssuck.jpg

:chuckle::chuckle:

Steeldude
07-20-2008, 02:08 AM
the same thing happened when Plax was here. So much presence went to Plaxís side just because heís a big, good receiver, that Hines was always open or Antwaan. I just think it would open stuff up for us a lot more

did BR watch burress during games at all? since when was burress a mismatch? he played like he was 5' 0", 100lbs. i don't remember these so-called double-teams on burress. i remember ward receiving double-teams way more often.

tall WR or no tall WR, i do not want to see the frequency of BR's dead, hanging lobs increase.

Elvis
07-20-2008, 07:13 AM
I really like the chances of our team in '08 and I think that our top 2 rookies could/will play a big role in it..
:tt02:

steel striker
07-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Well my thoughts about plax are in big games he was invisible a non factor. Many dropped balls but, he is such a down field threat we did miss him no doubt. Plus we won a super bowl without him so take that fow what it is worth. Maybe it is a good thing that Hines is all fired up and, if he stays healthy he should have a fine year. I really like Hines he is a great player and , love watching him play. He needs to realize that drafting other wr's is not a knock on him but to better the team.
I really think Ben is just going to keep getting better and, just as long as he does not get killed by the sacks this year we could go all the way.

Galax Steeler
07-20-2008, 08:11 AM
I really like the chances of our team in '08 and I think that our top 2 rookies could/will play a big role in it..
:tt02:

I absolutly agree Elvis I think we really do have a good team for 08 and can't wait to see our rookies and for the year to start.:tt02:

xfl2001fan
07-20-2008, 11:02 AM

If he had something insightful to say with the sarcasm, then it's easier to ignore. But being a jackass for the sake of being a jackass is a waste of e-space.

I can promise you this, I don't treat anybody on the Browns forum I'm a part of like that.

xfl2001fan
07-20-2008, 11:06 AM
I'll take our WR coach's word for it that he could step into the #3 spot as a rook....

What's your WR supposed to say after the draft? We took this kid, but I don't think he has a shot in hell at making our team.

Seriously, every coaching staff is excited about their draft after it happens. Let the kid hit the field (in pads) and see what he can do.

Our coaching staff drafted Quinn last year envisioning that he'd be the QB of the future. Doesn't mean he's worth his weight in manure though. Til the newcomers show something on the field, I'll be skeptical. Basically, more rookies (no matter where they're drafted or how successful they were in college) flame out than those that pan out.

fansince'76
07-20-2008, 11:38 AM
What's your WR supposed to say after the draft? We took this kid, but I don't think he has a shot in hell at making our team.

Seriously, every coaching staff is excited about their draft after it happens. Let the kid hit the field (in pads) and see what he can do.

Our coaching staff drafted Quinn last year envisioning that he'd be the QB of the future. Doesn't mean he's worth his weight in manure though. Til the newcomers show something on the field, I'll be skeptical. Basically, more rookies (no matter where they're drafted or how successful they were in college) flame out than those that pan out.

Sweed is probably going to be #3 this year, specifically in red zone packages, where he can use his height and natural athletic ability to outjump defenders for the ball on fade routes in the end zone. I fail to see what is rocket science about that. Playing QB is a completely different matter - that's probably the most complicated position in sports, not just football, to learn.

xfl2001fan
07-20-2008, 12:15 PM
Sweed is probably going to be #3 this year, specifically in red zone packages, where he can use his height and natural athletic ability to outjump defenders for the ball on fade routes in the end zone. I fail to see what is rocket science about that. Playing QB is a completely different matter - that's probably the most complicated position in sports, not just football, to learn.

Because there are a lot more variables to playing WR in the NFL than there are to playing them in college and especially HS. WR's need to read pretty much every player on the field except for the D-line. Knowing where the Safeties and Linebackers are (particularly in zone coverages) is crucial. In the NFL, defense are far better at disguising their coverages. WR's need to be far more precise with their routes, body placement etc...

This is why it typically takes a few years for WRs to be productive in the NFL.

Natural ability will only get you so far in the NFL. Otherwise, there wouldn't be first round busts.

fansince'76
07-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Because there are a lot more variables to playing WR in the NFL than there are to playing them in college and especially HS. WR's need to read pretty much every player on the field except for the D-line. Knowing where the Safeties and Linebackers are (particularly in zone coverages) is crucial. In the NFL, defense are far better at disguising their coverages. WR's need to be far more precise with their routes, body placement etc...

This is why it typically takes a few years for WRs to be productive in the NFL.

Natural ability will only get you so far in the NFL. Otherwise, there wouldn't be first round busts.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that, which is why he's not going any higher than #3 on the depth chart for a while.

xfl2001fan
07-20-2008, 12:48 PM
If he's as good as advertised, he may end up there, but I'd be skeptical of any rookie coming in and making an impact. Your WR corps is in good shape as it is. Having a guy like Hines Ward to mentor him will help, but I still don't see it happening yet.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-20-2008, 02:07 PM

WOW! It gets harder to respond to your posts!
I was the one who flamed you in the earlier post! I'm gonna flame you again!
1st the earlier flame was in regards to the OCs effect on QB play. Now if you are telling me that the WR and QB positions are so alike that the OC can't adjust the play calling to help a 3rd string rookie WR then you are truly retarded. A 3rd string WR doesn't have to read every D he sees to get on the field and be productive!
2nd. You mentioned Holmes's rookie year. Well here are his stats from that year...49 receptions for 824 yards and 2 touchdowns. Now, he was 3rd string most of the year before he took wilsons spot (WHO IS NOT ON THE ROSTER ANYMORE! ) yet he put some solid numbers up. Now I said and I quote: "I'm willing to bet that his stats will be close to 50 catches, 600 yards and 6-7 tds" ! Those numbers are NOT out of reach for Sweed! He should post more TDs than Holmes did his rookie year because he is a legitimate redzone threat! Limas will be the 3rd WR because Washington is inconsistant at best and Sweed has a lot more talent. Enough so to make up any ground Washington has over him in experience!

More ass talk above. NOBODY said he was gonna be Randy Moss! NOBODY said he was gonna take over as the playmaker! The point was that he will be productive in this upcoming season.

Once football season does actually get started, I'll have a little less time here because I'll really be hitting up sites like footballoutsiders and (of course) ESPN/Sportsline/Sports Illustrated. Right now, when the majority of the conversations is about the whole asinine Favre issue and the regurgitated information that comes right after the draft, it's hard to stay on those particular sites.

Now I see a little more clearly! You are reading the diatribe from these and other e-rags and regurgitating it as your own insight! You HAVE to be. Because if you actually watched the Steelers you wouldn't make some of these ridiculous statements!

Ahhhh! Here is the obligatory saving face and credibilty statement. I don't believe for one second that you really believe those statements!

GO STEELRS!

KeiselPower99
07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Hines is the man and I expect a big year from him.

Steelman16
07-21-2008, 04:44 AM
Um, Santonio Holmes anyone? If Sweed has the brain in his head that I think he does, he'll have no problems fitting in and producing just like Santo did as a rookie. Granted, Santo didn't make a splashy impact until late in the season, but what did you expect? Sweed will probably end up much like him, just adding in more goaline packages and such to account for his height advantage.

Sweed and Santo are going to be a fearsome duo after Ward retires.

revefsreleets
07-21-2008, 09:28 AM
All that shite that XFL posted is nonsense. The MAIN thing that differentiates a good WR from Saturdays to Sundays is his ability to seperate. That can be achieved many ways, via speed, or good routes, or USING SIZE TO HIS ADVANTAGE, or any combination of the above.

Also, the fact that there are plenty of other playmakers on the team means that defenses have to focus on many more capable players, which gives role players like Heath Miller and 3rd/4th WR's better opportunities.

Pretty much everything this kid says is backwards or just flat out wrong, but he's so SURE of himself. He's a great offseason comic relief addition to the board, and the apotheosis of all things awful about Browns fans.

rbryan
07-21-2008, 09:57 AM
So XFL isn't really the little moisty in the picture?? Thats just wrong....lol.

I was only nice because I thought it would be kinda cool to know the only hottie in Cleveland......lol

revefsreleets
07-21-2008, 10:25 AM
(S)he lives in Columbus...

missedgehead
07-21-2008, 11:27 AM
I love Ward. Yeah, I thought maybe the whole Ben/Ward thing was blown out of proportion but I think it will light a fire under him and he will have a good season. I think Sweed will do pretty well for a rookie. Looking forward to the season. :)

HometownGal
07-21-2008, 11:39 AM
All that shite that XFL posted is nonsense. The MAIN thing that differentiates a good WR from Saturdays to Sundays is his ability to seperate. That can be achieved many ways, via speed, or good routes, or USING SIZE TO HIS ADVANTAGE, or any combination of the above.

Also, the fact that there are plenty of other playmakers on the team means that defenses have to focus on many more capable players, which gives role players like Heath Miller and 3rd/4th WR's better opportunities.

Pretty much everything this kid says is backwards or just flat out wrong, but he's so SURE of himself. He's a great offseason comic relief addition to the board, and the apotheosis of all things awful about Browns fans.

Guys - can we stop with the hazing please? I'm tired of deleting posts. :banging: Opinions from non Steelers fans are welcomed here. Please attack the post - NOT THE POSTER - unless you are defending yourself against a flame, which I haven't seen out of xfl2001fan thus far in this thread. Thanks.

xfl2001fan
07-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Every WR on the field has to read the defense. Doesn't matter where he's at on the depth chart. If he's outside and running a deep route, his reads get a little easier. The LBs don't have as much to do with his specific route.

If he's in the slot and running a slant, then the CBs don't have as much of an effect. But he still needs to read the defense and know what's going on. Otherwise, he'll be out of position and (at best) a distraction for the defense.

Is it possible for Sweed to put up the numbers you gave me, yes. Do I think it likely. No. It's an opinion. I base it on the fact that most rookie WRs don't come in and post those kinds of numbers.

You assume that Sweed's talent will overcome Washington's inconsistencies. But it's not a given. It's hope, wishful thinking coupled with some legitimate reason. However, you don't know whether Sweed is going to be a consistent performer either. So it's hard to say whether it will happen. All it will take is one bad fall and he could re-injure his wrist. I'm sure he's been checked out by the trainers and all, but it just has to happen one time.

As for reading what other's report and regurgitating it as if it were my own, that's wrong. I let you know when I'm using a source for something. I don't have time to watch every game played every week. So I do rely on other's (who get paid to do so) to at least give me some information. The guys at football outsiders do a much better job of not jumping on the "bandwagon." They don't think near as much of Ray Lewis and Brett Favre as many of the "experts" because they want to see real performance. As for reading the other sites and such, I only use it to give me a base of information of what's going on. The whole NE Oxycotin issue and such. Injuries/trades. I don't form my opinion on just what Mort reports, or Dr. Z. I try to take a collective set of data, sift through the inane (Brett Favre is just a winner, blah blah blah) and then form my own take on things. As more information comes available, I take it in and then reconsider what my position. If it means changing things, so be it.

(Similar to the QB coach conversation. I had no clue who your guy was, admitted as much. I doubted that your QB coach had a comparable career to what Ben has because most QB coaches in the league have had the kind of success Ben has. It was a justified opinion based on what I knew at the time. I was wrong, but the reasoning I used wasn't flawed. The odds were against it.)

The main thing that separates College WRs from Pro WRs is hard work/film study. Top-flight WRs can often get by (in most games) by sheer athleticism. That won't cut it in the NFL. The best WR's in the NFL are the ones who work hard at being a WR. Extra time practicing their routes, in the film room, working with their QB. Separation is much more easily achieved in College.

Whether you choose to believe how I feel about Steelers players is irrelevant. I have a lot of respect for a team that's played consistently well for so long. I have a lot of respect for Coach Cowher. Just because I don't root for the team doesn't mean I have to hate everything about them. You call it a saving face/credibility statement and that's your own jackassery. I'm sorry that you can't accept that a Browns fan would have anything good to say about your team or your players. But that's your problem, not mine.

Opinions are nothing more than opinions. They're not right or wrong. You have your opinion and I have mine. That we don't agree is irrelevant. Your opinion of Sweed and his impact differs from mine. There is no right or wrong in this. There's nothing backwards for looking at how recievers historically have played in their first year and having the opinion that Sweed will follow suit. You use Holmes plus Sweeds size as your hypothesis for your opinion. You're not wrong for doing so, but it doesn't make you right either.

Thank you for the deification. Glad to know that I'm a divine being in your eyes.

xfl2001fan
07-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Guys - can we stop with the hazing please? I'm tired of deleting posts. :banging: Opinions from non Steelers fans are welcomed here. Please attack the post - NOT THE POSTER - unless you are defending yourself against a flame, which I haven't seen out of xfl2001fan thus far in this thread. Thanks.

Was typing my response when you posted this. I don't believe there is anything attacking him in it. I'm not really going to go back and look though. I'm just a kid who's a Browns fan in his eyes, which means I will likely have nothing valuable to say to him.

I can brush of personal attacks. My skin is thicker than that. I'll defend my arguments/opinions and admit when I'm wrong (though it does have to be pointed out sometimes! lol)

HometownGal
07-21-2008, 12:29 PM
Was typing my response when you posted this. I don't believe there is anything attacking him in it. I'm not really going to go back and look though. I'm just a kid who's a Browns fan in his eyes, which means I will likely have nothing valuable to say to him.

I can brush of personal attacks. My skin is thicker than that. I'll defend my arguments/opinions and admit when I'm wrong (though it does have to be pointed out sometimes! lol)

Trust me - when I see overt personal attacks in forums outside of the BF, you'll be the first to know. :buttkick: We try to keep the flames and baits out of the main forums so as not to make those not involved in the fracas uncomfortable and also to keep the thread on topic, which seems to be a problem around here lately - LOL! My request is really very simple and has nothing to do with having thick or thin skin - it's asking our members to discuss the topic at hand and debate fairly and respectfully.

revefsreleets
07-21-2008, 12:39 PM
So"Jackassery" is a term of endearment?

I'll admit it, I don't like this XFL kid. Came in spouting nonsense acting like some kind of authority, and he has been consistently (albeit vehemently and aggressively) wrong over and over again. Hiding behind the claim that it's opinion is cute, but try an IMO, or, better yet, an IMHO instead of just running off at the mouth. It's disrespectful and trollish...I'm just callin 'em like I'm seein' 'em.

Reminds me an AWFUL lot of some other dude that set up camp here and ruined a fantasy league among other things.

xfl2001fan
07-21-2008, 12:58 PM
So"Jackassery" is a term of endearment?

I'll admit it, I don't like this XFL kid. Came in spouting nonsense acting like some kind of authority, and he has been consistently (albeit vehemently and aggressively) wrong over and over again. Hiding behind the claim that it's opinion is cute, but try an IMO, or, better yet, an IMHO instead of just running off at the mouth. It's disrespectful and trollish...I'm just callin 'em like I'm seein' 'em.

Reminds me an AWFUL lot of some other dude that set up camp here and ruined a fantasy league among other things.

I'll give you that the Jackassery comment was less than mature.

I don't claim to be an authority. I've never claimed to be an expert. That you choose to assume the worst in me isn't really my problem. You feel I'm wrong and that's your (vehement and aggressive) opinion of me and my opinions. I wouldn't say I was hiding behind a claim that it's an opinion. When something's a fact, I state it as such.

I could care less who I remind you of. I've never gone by anything other than xfl2001fan. I'm guessing that you're the guy accusing me of being Buckeye Dan. That's not the case. I stopped paying attention to that conversation when you vehemently refused to accept that I am who I say I am.

I'm not here to ruin anything. If I was, I'd be trolling the site making pointed attacks with no basis whatsoever. I see some of it on the Browns sites and I try real hard to not get caught up in the moment. There's a particular reason why I don't visit some of those Browns sites at all. It's one thing to be a fan, it's another to be a total ass about it. I'd rather not associate myself with some of those guys just like I don't associate myself with some of the (many) nutbags we have in Columbus supporting the Buckeyes.

Again, these issues that you have are your problems not mine. You are one of the very few on this site who has a serious issue with me. You are also the most vocal about it. I don't intend to offend anyone with my comments. However, I won't stray from my opinion (or from stating it) just because you don't like it.

I guess the best we can hope for is to agree to disagree. I'll do my best to avoid making "jackassery" comments (and other immature attacks) away from conversations not in the BF.

fansince'76
07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
did BR watch burress during games at all? since when was burress a mismatch? he played like he was 5' 0", 100lbs. i don't remember these so-called double-teams on burress. i remember ward receiving double-teams way more often.

I just pray to God Sweed doesn't come down with the same "assclown disease" Plexiglass had - you know, spiking the ball when it was still live and in so doing, giving it to the other team, dropping passes all over the place then bitching afterwards about his number of touches, etc. From what I've heard, though, Sweed seems to have a good head on his shoulders, so hopefully that won't be an issue. At this point, Burress is just a bad memory for me. I'm thoroughly amazed that there are Steelers fans that still actually miss him.

CantStop85
07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I just pray to God Sweed doesn't come down with the same "assclown disease" Plexiglass had - you know, spiking the ball when it was still live and in so doing, giving it to the other team, dropping passes all over the place then bitching afterwards about his number of touches, etc. From what I've heard, though, Sweed seems to have a good head on his shoulders, so hopefully that won't be an issue. At this point, Burress is just a bad memory for me. I'm thoroughly amazed that there are Steelers fans that still actually miss him.

Plexiglass has matured quite a bit since his days as a Steeler...well, at least on the field...off the field not so much.

missedgehead
07-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Plexiglass has matured quite a bit since his days as a Steeler...well, at least on the field...off the field not so much.

Agreed. :hatsoff:

HometownGal
07-21-2008, 03:21 PM

Somehow, I don't see Tomlin putting up with anyone who has a butterhead like Plex did when he was wearing the black and gold. Good to see that he has matured somewhat on the field, but like you, I don't miss him in the least.

fansince'76
07-21-2008, 03:27 PM

Coulda fooled me....

Plaxico Burress is refusing to practice because the New York Giants havenít renegotiated a new contract since winning the Super Bowl.

Burress reported to Giants Stadium for the mandatory minicamp today. But he says he told the coaching staff he wonít workout without a new deal.

The wide receiver says he believes he has three years left on his current pact.

Plax the Malcontent (http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/giants/archives/2008/06/plax_aint_pract.html#comments)

Preacher
07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Somehow, I don't see Tomlin putting up with anyone who has a butterhead like Plex did when he was wearing the black and gold. Good to see that he has matured somewhat on the field, but like you, I don't miss him in the least.

Butterhead??

:rofl:

What in the world is a butterhead?

I love it!

CantStop85
07-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Coulda fooled me....

Plax the Malcontent (http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/giants/archives/2008/06/plax_aint_pract.html#comments)

That's why I said "on the field...off the field not so much." :wink02:

HometownGal
07-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Coulda fooled me....

Hmmmmm. Same old butterhead, different team. :coffee:

fansince'76
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
That's why I said "on the field...off the field not so much." :wink02:

Ah, my bad - when you meant "off the field," I thought you were talking about things like the following:

May 20, 2007 -- It's hard out there for a professional athlete who gets no attention from the usually man-hungry ladies at Clifton, N.J., nightspot The Bliss Club. Sources say New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress insulted female patrons there and "left the club without paying his $2,000 tab."

Plax Can't Get Any (http://www.nypost.com/seven/05202007/gossip/pagesix/pagesix.htm)

:chuckle:

xfl2001fan
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Tomlin doesn't seem near as intense as Cowher was, but I only saw him during game time, so I could be wrong. If Cowher put up with Burress and his potential, I'm not so sure that Tomlin wouldn't do something similar. The veterans on the team may not put up with it as much...

revefsreleets
07-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Plexispike.

Even though I wanted to KILL him after that play, It still ranks up there with the refs trying to eff Troy out of his INT of Manning (pro-Colts NFL conspiracy? Nahhhhhh!) and Leon Lett's pair of gaffe's (SB fumble recovery that Beebe knocked out from his fat slow ass and the Thanksgiving game where he tried to recover the blocked kick) as the stupidest plays EVER by retarded guys playing/reffing in the NFL.

HometownGal
07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
May 20, 2007 -- It's hard out there for a professional athlete who gets no attention from the usually man-hungry ladies at Clifton, N.J., nightspot The Bliss Club. Sources say New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress insulted female patrons there and "left the club without paying his $2,000 tab."

Hey - maybe Kordodo would have an opening for him in his "pitch and catch club". :chuckle::sissies:

tony hipchest
07-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Hey - maybe Kordodo would have an opening for him in his "pitch and catch club". :chuckle::sissies:why is everyone so rough on Kordildo? :chuckle:

WisconsinSteelerMan
07-22-2008, 11:30 AM
OK... I have read through ALL of the posts before mine in this thread before deciding to post... yeah...even the Brown-fan and Bungle-fan posts...

I take a different read on Ben's quote from earlier in the spring... Ben wanted a TALL reciever to draw the double coverage and therefore to get MORE availability for his favorite slot receiver... It was not a matter him choosing this "tall guy" over Hines at all.

IMHO, Hines is STILL the face of our receiving corps...tough, gritty, ready to open a huge can of "Whoopass" on the opposing defense...

We do have to face the facts that Hines is getting up there in age and we will need to build for the future now, just in case he decides to move on... It is what ALL good teams do... build for the future.

I liked this pick-up, and can't WAIT to see it in action...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

billybob
07-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Maybe I find this site interesting because I get a better perspective on the Steelers team than I would from a Browns fan site.

I also tend to type fast and visit both sites adding input where I feel the need. Asking questions when I'm not sure. ETC...

I type fast and read fast, so it's not like it takes much time for me to read and catch up on what's been said.

As for your lines, I'm not actually all that worried about it. As a Browns fan, I like that you did nothing for depth on those lines. I like that you let (an admittedly regressing) Feneca go. I loved seeing two of your quality coaches go to Arizona. When I speak of your lines, I speak as a fan of football. There are basic rules to football that (appear as if they are) being ignored.

and now you will speak of our line as running the ball down your troat,and the other smothering you.