PDA

View Full Version : Going to see the Pirates

GoFins11
07-19-2008, 10:14 AM
This will be my first time in Pittsburgh and I will be going to a Bucs game. Any recommendations as far as sights in the city, stadium info, seating, and stuff like that.

I probably will be attending one of the games July 25-27 against the Padres.

Thanks

warddj86
07-19-2008, 12:18 PM
This will be my first time in Pittsburgh and I will be going to a Bucs game. Any recommendations as far as sights in the city, stadium info, seating, and stuff like that.

Thanks

Yeah I'm going to the July 26th game vs. the Padres

X-Terminator
07-19-2008, 08:05 PM

Thanks

I'll be at the games on July 25 and 26, that is, if I still have some Pepto Bismol left over after watching this team's horrible starting pitching night in and night out. As far as sights go, it depends on what you're into - there's a lot to do in and around the ballpark and downtown. If you're looking for a good restaurant pre-game, I recommend Soho, which is on the first floor of the Spring Hill Suites across the street from the ballpark. Good food, nice bar and has 4 large HD screens showing other games. As far as seating goes, you can't go wrong anywhere in the park - every seat is a good seat. And they're not very expensive - the most expensive seat not in the club sections is $35 for a baseline box - and the cheapest is $9 in the outfield grandstands and the second deck of the left field bleachers. You would also have access to the Hall of Fame Club in left field, which I hear is pretty nice and has live bands playing after weekend games. Let me know what you're planning and I'll give you all the info I can.

GoFins11
07-22-2008, 08:03 AM
My girlfriend will probably want me to go as cheap as possible when it comes to seating. What is the best cheapest seats? Are the bleachers non chair back seats? I was thinking about going the bleachers Reserve route.

I'm not interested in seating in "upper deck" type sections.

SteelCityMan786
07-22-2008, 10:45 AM
My girlfriend will probably want me to go as cheap as possible when it comes to seating. What is the best cheapest seats? Are the bleachers non chair back seats? I was thinking about going the bleachers Reserve route.

Outfield Reserve(Which are in Right Field above/near the Out of town Scoreboard is $17.

X-Terminator
07-22-2008, 04:12 PM

Well, the upper deck at PNC is closer to the field than any other ballpark not named Fenway or Wrigley, but to each his own. I sit in section 328 in the LF Grandstand, and I think they're great, especially the view of the city that you get from there at night. But since you aren't interested, the General Admission Bleachers would be your best bet - they are $9. Bleacher Reserved seats are $14, and the benches do have backs, even the ones in GA.

GoFins11
07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Well, the upper deck at PNC is closer to the field than any other ballpark not named Fenway or Wrigley, but to each his own. I sit in section 328 in the LF Grandstand, and I think they're great, especially the view of the city that you get from there at night. But since you aren't interested, the General Admission Bleachers would be your best bet - they are $9. Bleacher Reserved seats are $14, and the benches do have backs, even the ones in GA.

I'm just used to the upper deck being too far away compared to the lower seats. I would be cool to have a nice view of the city.

X-Terminator
07-22-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm just used to the upper deck being too far away compared to the lower seats. I would be cool to have a nice view of the city.

The highest seat in the building is only 88 feet from the field - not far at all. If you sit in the first few rows, you're literally on top of the action. Compared to the upper deck at Three Rivers, it's like sitting in a box seat. And the view of the city from there is unbelievable. Basically from section 310 around to 330, you get the entire view of the skyline. As I said, where I sit in 328, the seats are only $9 and you get the view along with it.

GoFins11
07-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Just got back to the hotel from the game.

WHAT A BLAST!!!!

We sat in section 328 row E. They were super seats for only 9 bucks. My girlfriend and I loved the skyline view. The ballpark impressed the hell out of me. Only downside was driving in Pittsburgh:flap:

I am now a bonafide Pirate fan(second to the Fish of course):wave:

GO BUCS:applaudit:

X-Terminator
07-27-2008, 12:37 PM

WHAT A BLAST!!!!

We sat in section 328 row E. They were super seats for only 9 bucks. My girlfriend and I loved the skyline view. The ballpark impressed the hell out of me. Only downside was driving in Pittsburgh:flap:

328, Row E...hmmm, that would mean you sat just 2 rows in front of me - I'm in 328, Row G. If you ever heard or saw a big, black guy with a big mouth wearing a Pirates sleeveless shirt sitting next to a good-looking older lady and a big, white guy with an even bigger mouth, then you saw and heard me in the wild. :wink02: I'm glad you and your girlfriend enjoyed the ballpark - I told you those seats were among the best in the building being so close to the action and with the view of downtown you get. Yes, driving in Pittsburgh is a chore with the 10,000 construction projects going on, but seeing a game at PNC is well worth the trip. Hope you are able to see another one soon! But trust me...stick with being a Marlins fan. At least they have a good, young team with a pretty bright future :chuckle:

HometownGal
07-27-2008, 04:19 PM

WHAT A BLAST!!!!

Glad you had such a great time at PNC Park, Fins! :drink:

Pittsburgh drivers are among the worst in the country, imho, especially when going through one of the tunnels - LOL! XT is right, though - there are always numerous construction projects going on at the same time around most of the major arteries into and out of the city. :banging: Why the hell they can't finish one before starting another is beyond me. :doh:

Hope you plan another visit to our beautiful city in the future! :hatsoff:

GoFins11
07-27-2008, 11:17 PM
328, Row E...hmmm, that would mean you sat just 2 rows in front of me - I'm in 328, Row G. If you ever heard or saw a big, black guy with a big mouth wearing a Pirates sleeveless shirt sitting next to a good-looking older lady and a big, white guy with an even bigger mouth, then you saw and heard me in the wild. :wink02: I'm glad you and your girlfriend enjoyed the ballpark - I told you those seats were among the best in the building being so close to the action and with the view of downtown you get. Yes, driving in Pittsburgh is a chore with the 10,000 construction projects going on, but seeing a game at PNC is well worth the trip. Hope you are able to see another one soon! But trust me...stick with being a Marlins fan. At least they have a good, young team with a pretty bright future :chuckle:

So you were close to the people that were joking that when ever a Pirate player left the game, he was traded?

Preacher
07-27-2008, 11:28 PM
Glad you enjoyed yourself there.

It really is a beautiful city.

One day I will make it early enough in the year to see a Pirates game... though that means I have to go in September.. October is too late... and will be for a long time if I read XTerm correctly! :chuckle:

X-Terminator
07-27-2008, 11:41 PM
So you were close to the people that were joking that when ever a Pirate player left the game, he was traded?

Yes sir! :laughing: That was because when Nady and Marte were traded Friday night, Nady actually started the game, played one inning and was pulled from the game while he was on deck. We later found out from a guy sitting behind us who checked online through his BlackBerry that they had been traded to the Spankees. So when Russell decided to empty the bench when they were down 8-1, we started joking that they had all been traded - LOL. I actually heard from an usher during the game who said that Bay and Sanchez were traded, but that turned out to be false since both were in the lineup this afternoon, though Sanchez did leave the game today due to back spasms.

Preacher
07-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Yes sir! :laughing: That was because when Nady and Marte were traded Friday night, Nady actually started the game, played one inning and was pulled from the game while he was on deck. We later found out from a guy sitting behind us who checked online through his BlackBerry that they had been traded to the Spankees. So when Russell decided to empty the bench when they were down 8-1, we started joking that they had all been traded - LOL. I actually heard from an usher during the game who said that Bay and Sanchez were traded, but that turned out to be false since both were in the lineup this afternoon, though Sanchez did leave the game today due to back spasms.

that is hilarious.

I found out that my first baseman went to the Yanks.

GoFins11
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Is there a good website anywhere to find good Pirate gear other than mlb.com?

SteelCityMan786
07-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Glad you had such a great time at PNC Park, Fins! :drink:

Pittsburgh drivers are among the worst in the country, imho, especially when going through one of the tunnels - LOL! XT is right, though - there are always numerous construction projects going on at the same time around most of the major arteries into and out of the city. :banging: Why the hell they can't finish one before starting another is beyond me. :doh:

Hope you plan another visit to our beautiful city in the future! :hatsoff:

They're always doing construction on the Parkway East. In terms of starting construction projects, they would have to start reconstructing roads again by the time they finish. :sofunny: