PDA

View Full Version : Such a sad Story

OneForTheToe
07-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Soldier in famous photo never defeated 'demons'

PINEHURST, N.C. - Officers had been to the white ranch house at 560 W. Longleaf many times before over the past year to respond to a "barricade situation." Each had ended uneventfully, with Joseph Dwyer coming out or telling police in a calm voice through the window that he was OK.

ADVERTISEMENT

But this time was different.

The Iraq War veteran had called a taxi service to take him to the emergency room. But when the driver arrived, Dwyer shouted that he was too weak to get up and open the door.

The officers asked Dwyer for permission to kick it in.

"Go ahead!" he yelled.

They found Dwyer lying on his back, his clothes soiled with urine and feces. Scattered on the floor around him were dozens of spent cans of Dust-Off, a refrigerant-based aerosol normally used to clean electrical equipment.

Dwyer told police Lt. Mike Wilson he'd been "huffing" the aerosol.

"Help me, please!" the former Army medic begged Wilson. "I'm dying. Help me. I can't breathe."

Unable to stand or even sit up, Dwyer was hoisted onto a stretcher. As paramedics prepared to load him into an ambulance, an officer noticed Dwyer's eyes had glassed over and were fixed.

A half hour later, he was dead.

Story continues in link

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/military_the_enemy_within

Sad somehow doesn't seem like a strong enough word, but I think it is the most appropriate.

Rest in Peace PFC Dwyer

Here is the photo:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3136/2634997651_e8396db167.jpg

GBMelBlount
07-20-2008, 02:12 PM
War is hell. Though appearing unscathed, many have emotional scars that never heal. God bless are soldiers.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-20-2008, 03:10 PM
This story strikes a nerve for me. I have been diagnosed by the VA with PTSD. The article is right, the VA and federal government do as little as possible to help vets. Fortunately for me I found a gentleman that did work voluntarily outside the VA program. He is the reason I'm still married and able to overcome and cope with my PTSD. My wife was at the end of her rope. During the day I was always "on edge" and ready blow a gasket for stupid shit. I never struck my wife and kids but I was always yelling. Night was a different story. I had and still occasionally have "night terrors". I act out in my sleep the combat and scenarios that I went through while I was at war. I have no knowlege of these the next day. It is a very helpless feeling not being in control like that. Thankfully I haven't had one in about 2 months and the ones I have now are much less intense. Sadly I , and every other soldier with PTSD have to live with this sickness. There is no cure, only the daily struggle to keep it from overwhelming your life. Every person with PTSD is effected differently, and everyone has thier own way of coping with it. I have developed a number of ways to focus my mind. This may sound stupid and hard to believe, but Steeler football has been a comfort to me since I returned home. My best friend and I were both over there and we both returned home the same time. We have essentually "given ourselves" to football. It is wonderful therapy.

I hope I haven't come across like I'm trying to take away from this story. I truely feel for this man and his family and I am saddened that his life was cut short by a disease that most people can't understand. May he rest in peace.

xfl2001fan
07-20-2008, 04:16 PM
HoG, as a current Soldier, I would like to thank you for your service! This country exists because of people like you and the subject in the article.

Unfortunately, PTSD is the hardest to diagnose and treat of all the "disabilities" that servicemembers come home with. I am glad that you were able to find some help. I know that my unit has a few people who were mobilized with the purpose of helping out Soldiers who came home for various medical reasons. One of them was the 1SGT and she still stays in touch with many of her "patients."

Unfortunately, she's one of the few. God wililng, I won't have ever have to experience anything that changes me in such a manner.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-20-2008, 04:24 PM
HoG, as a current Soldier, I would like to thank you for your service! This country exists because of people like you and the subject in the article.

Unfortunately, PTSD is the hardest to diagnose and treat of all the "disabilities" that servicemembers come home with. I am glad that you were able to find some help. I know that my unit has a few people who were mobilized with the purpose of helping out Soldiers who came home for various medical reasons. One of them was the 1SGT and she still stays in touch with many of her "patients."

Unfortunately, she's one of the few. God wililng, I won't have ever have to experience anything that changes me in such a manner.

Thanks, How am I supposed to hate you now? LOL I take back my troll remarks in another thread. But boy you can really work a fella up! :chuckle:

xfl2001fan
07-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks, How am I supposed to hate you now? LOL I take back my troll remarks in another thread. But boy you can really work a fella up! :chuckle:

At the end of the day, we're both still Soldiers! :thumbsup::drink:

You can hate the Browns fan in me all day long if you feel the need!

stlrtruck
07-22-2008, 08:52 AM
At the end of the day, we're both still Soldiers! :thumbsup::drink:

You can hate the Browns fan in me all day long if you feel the need!

If he doesn't want to, I'll hate the browns fan in you twice as much...

but I'll never turn my back on any soldier - past or present - regardless of the team's colors they wear on game day - because underneath it all they are Red, White, and Blue!!!

HometownGal
07-22-2008, 09:51 AM
What a sad and very tragic end to such a young life. You're finally home in heaven. RIP PFC Dwyer. :tombstone

It pisses me off to no end that our government does not properly take care of our soldiers and our Vets, yet sends billions of dollars in aid overseas every year. :mad: Our government should be ashamed. Damn it - take care of your own FIRST!!!!

To Hammer, xflfan and every other soldier and Vet who has so unselfishly and proudly served this great country, you have my most sincere thanks and deepest respect, appreciation and gratitude. May God bless you and America! :usa::salute::hug:

Preacher
07-22-2008, 01:56 PM
What a sad and very tragic end to such a young life. You're finally home in heaven. RIP PFC Dwyer. :tombstone

It pisses me off to no end that our government does not properly take care of our soldiers and our Vets, yet sends billions of dollars in aid overseas every year. :mad: Our government should be ashamed. Damn it - take care of your own FIRST!!!!

To Hammer, xflfan and every other soldier and Vet who has so unselfishly and proudly served this great country, you have my most sincere thanks and deepest respect, appreciation and gratitude. May God bless you and America! :usa::salute::hug:

Absolutely.

Soldiers deserve all the respect in the world... and have mine. I still say they deserve to live tax free in this nation. Free from fed, state and local tax. Free from property tax. You fight for this country, we SHOULD give you something back.

Of course, a START would be taking care of the physical needs.... VA just doesn't do it.

What is fascinating, is how PTSD has cropped up so dramatically from vietnam and this war. I could be wrong, but I hear about it as much from the first Iraq war, nor from Korea or WWII.

I wonder if it is the type of fighting... always having to watch your back, etc. that does it.

In those other wars, there were some clearly defined lines. Not here.

Just a thought. May God bless our soldiers....

beSteelmyheart
07-23-2008, 09:23 PM
"No man outlives the grief of war though he outlives its wreck; Upon the memory a scar through all his years will ache."
-- William Souter, 'The Permanence of Young Men' (1940)

TroysBadDawg
07-24-2008, 07:14 AM
I was up most of last night chasing the boggie man from my dreams so I know the hell he must have gone through. I started a new med and it is not nice to me and I am discontinuing it because I don't like the boggie man anymore than PFC Dwyer did.

After 30+ years he is still under my bed.

Rest in Peace PFC Dwyer, your is now gone. Your now home with the Father. WE spent our time with the Devil.

After thinking about this I decided to add to this. I also blame not only the Vet Admin but the media and the people who are constantly complaining about how bad off they have it. How President Bush is responsible for everything bad happening, when they don't have to the brains to open their eyes and look around and see what package of BS they are being fed. There is nothing positive on the news about the solders fighting only negative. It was that was when I came home from Nam. I tried to push a protester out of my way who spit in my face and was put in cuffs. IT is ok to abuse the military, the media does it all the time.

I blame all those who do not stand up for my brothers and sisters in the military, telling them they are doing a great job and telling the media to shove the negative. Facing bullets not knowing if you are going to wake up the next day is horrible enough but to constantly being bombarded by the press and television how bad we are is too much.

Think about it why is the Vet Admin so bad, who controls the money they get ... Congress who are only looking out for their next hand out and not the people who elected them. I am also mad at congress for not doing their job for the people.

I have to calm down now and get away from this computer before I get in someone crosshairs.

xfl2001fan
07-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Absolutely.

Soldiers deserve all the respect in the world... and have mine. I still say they deserve to live tax free in this nation. Free from fed, state and local tax. Free from property tax. You fight for this country, we SHOULD give you something back.

Of course, a START would be taking care of the physical needs.... VA just doesn't do it.

What is fascinating, is how PTSD has cropped up so dramatically from vietnam and this war. I could be wrong, but I hear about it as much from the first Iraq war, nor from Korea or WWII.

I wonder if it is the type of fighting... always having to watch your back, etc. that does it.

In those other wars, there were some clearly defined lines. Not here.

Just a thought. May God bless our soldiers....

I like your thinking Preacher! Unfortunately, you'd have to set some rules for that. Otherwise, everybody would be trying to sign up, even the kid who's sports injuries prevent them from actually completing bootcamp and such. Then there'd be a public outcry at how unfair it is to the kids born who have no chance of serving their country and...blah...blah...blah. It's a great idea, but I think there would be more problems associated with tax-free living than solutions in today's society.

As for the PTSD, I think there are large number of contributing factors as to why it's more prominant now. Back in WWII (and previous wars) there wasn't a great communication system in place. You dealt with things as they were. There weren't many psychological experts and a man having nightmares, drinking, beating his wife or kid was much more acceptable now than it was back then.

Society now has far less discipline and far too many people willing to blame any problem an individual has on anyone but that individual. This coupled with the changing of how wars are fought (who is the enemy and who isn't) has led to an outbreak in issues. We're also a society that has a much higher divorce rate, which tells me that it's ok to just give in to the hard times and try to start over.

Sometimes it's justified/recommended to start over, but it happens far more often than is necessary. People rarely actually connect with another person. They form acquaintences that border on true friendships but rarerly make good friends. They base their relationships on premises of what can you do for me, instead of what can I offer you.

In a quick pleasure and quick fix society, long lasting problems (such as PTSD) are going to feel much more problematic. There is no pill or shot that can just make it go away. There's no real band-aid cure. Add this into the many forms of communication (and the many people trying to make money using that communication) and you have an (often times) over-hyped sense of how things really are. Sometimes it's deep-right, sometimes it's deep-left field, but whatever the case may be, it's rarely as it seems.

IMO, PTSD is every bit as prevalent today as it was back when, but it's just talked about far more often.