PDA

View Full Version : Is Timmons' ascension to the starting lineup a sure thing?

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Is Timmons' ascension to the starting lineup a sure thing?
Pro football Weekly Whispers AFC North
July 19, 2008

Steelers observers will be keeping an eye on the number of reps that second-year ILB Lawrence Timmons will be getting with the first-team defense in training camp. It has been widely assumed that Timmons will likely push Larry Foote out of the starting lineup, but as a source close to the club notes, Foote got most of the snaps with the first-team base defense in the summer. Timmons, the Steelers' first-round pick in 2007, is all but assured of having an expanded role in passing situations this season, but it's no sure thing that he'll take the bulk of the snaps in the base "D." Timmons has better speed than Foote, but the latter has a reputation as a strong run stuffer and has a significant edge in experience. In short, don't be surprised if there's room for both players to have key roles in the defense.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcnorth

DACEB
07-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Is Timmons' ascension to the starting lineup a sure thing?

No

Timmons is all but assured of having an expanded role in passing situations this season,

Yes

don't be surprised if there's room for both players to have key roles in the defense.

That's the way I see it.

Foote will start in the base 3-4 and Timmons will play in sets where his speed and athleticism are needed. Foote is a solid player, who will most likely hold off Timmons for another year. I look for these two to compliment each other and keep each other fresh, win/win situation.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I think it will take Timmons time to get used to playing ILB, especially in the 3-4 zone blitz scheme that the Steelers use. I say by week 10, Timmons could be taking more snaps in games than Foote. But I don't see Timmons pushing Foote out during TC or anywhere before week 8.

Preacher
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM
That could be true...

I do like the seemingly deep LB corp we have now, just a year or two after it looked quite shallow.

Now if we can just do that with our lines.

Atlanta Dan
07-21-2008, 02:34 PM
LB depth will become an issue soon enough - with the other upcoming FA issues, notably along the line, I do not think the Trib-Review infomercial this past weekend for Farrior being renewed will be successful.

I look for Timmins to be force fed into the line-up to see if there will be too much downside if Farrior is cut loose after ths season.

revefsreleets
07-21-2008, 02:40 PM
No way does the established starter lose his job in shorts. When the hitting starts, things will be very, very different.

HometownGal
07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
I believe Timmons will have a much deeper role this season, but just like every other guy, he's going to have to earn that starting badge. Personally, I say he beats out Foote in TC.

Blitzburgh_Fever
07-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I can see Timmons being tame as a backup in the first three or four games, then get some fire under him and play to his potential. It'll be nice, last year it didn't seem we had tons of help from our picks save for an at-times Woodley. It'd be a dream if Timmons and Woodley step up, and then Mendenhall and Sweed also have a first year explosion...

A man can dream, anyways :tt02:

slashsteel
07-21-2008, 03:17 PM
I think Foote will get 1st and 2nd down. Which keeps him as a starter.

Timmons will get 3rd down duties.

Anddddddd he will be groomed to take over for Farrior possibly as quick as next year.

Thats the way I see it being played out.............

:helmet:

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I have a neighbor from Iowa who swears that Humpal is a stud and will end up starting for us....if that is true...a future of Woodley...Davis...Timmons...and Humpal... sounds pretty bright!!

Texasteel
07-21-2008, 03:21 PM
I have a neighbor from Iowa who swears that Humpal is a stud and will end up starting for us....if that is true...a future of Woodley...Davis...Timmons...and Humpal... sounds pretty bright!!

Sounds better every time I hear it.:thumbsup:

The Duke
07-21-2008, 04:26 PM

Hopefully it's true :thumbsup:

we need these late round picks to work

Preacher
07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
No way does the established starter lose his job in shorts. When the hitting starts, things will be very, very different.

Your exactly right.

TC... whole different story.

But not in shorts.

KeiselPower99
07-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Why does everyone want Foote gone??? We are gonna need both him and Timmons if Farrior isnt brought back next year.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Yea I have read some nice things about Humpal....A Steelers fan that posts on Steelerfury.com swears that Humpal will be a good player.....He says in two years every Steelers fan is going to love Humpal.....:thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
07-22-2008, 03:34 AM
I would like to see Timmons role increased this year I mean we spent a no.1 pick on him I sure hope he steps up and performs like a no.1 player this year.

DACEB
07-22-2008, 06:18 AM

Humpal has me excited as well. The kid has good instincts at ILB, and is a very good athelete in his own right. I was trying to find the article I read that stated he ran hurdles and was all state in wrestling (which is saying something in Iowa).

Welcome To Smashmouth
07-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Not gonna lie -- I can't wait to see what this guy does in the Rover!!!!

revefsreleets
07-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Humpal will never be a star at LB. He's a great player, but his lack of speed and athleticism will level his playing field in the NFL. BUT he can definitely be one of those solid back-up dudes. That's not a bad thing. He reminds me of some solid back-up LB's we've had over the years that come off the bench and play good solid disciplined football, never out of position, and sometimes that's even better than a guy who overextends himself. Clint Kriewaldt and John Fiala are two guys that come to mind.

Elvis
07-23-2008, 05:14 AM
Not gonna lie -- I can't wait to see what this guy does in the Rover!!!!
me too buddy.. I just think that the guy is gonna make a good impact on our defense. He has speed and he is a good tackler from what I remember seeing him at FSU. I hope he comes in and takes Foote's job and takes the steelers LBing to a different level like it used to be.
:tt02:

Preacher
07-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Humpal will never be a star at LB. He's a great player, but his lack of speed and athleticism will level his playing field in the NFL. BUT he can definitely be one of those solid back-up dudes. That's not a bad thing. He reminds me of some solid back-up LB's we've had over the years that come off the bench and play good solid disciplined football, never out of position, and sometimes that's even better than a guy who overextends himself. Clint Kriewaldt and John Fiala are two guys that come to mind.

and in reality... it is these guys who often win the SB for us, because they can make the one or two big plays in the playoffs when called upon.. like B-Mac did in 2005.

DACEB
07-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Humpal will never be a star at LB. He's a great player, but his lack of speed and athleticism will level his playing field in the NFL. BUT he can definitely be one of those solid back-up dudes.

I actually see Humpal eventually taking Foote's spot as the run-stuffing ILB. Instincts and a good first read and quick first step can make up for alot. I know we're all excited to see these young guys come in and contribute at whatever level possible.