PDA

View Full Version : Batman

revefsreleets
07-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Can't believe nobody has posted about it yet. Saw it yesterday, and it was good, but perhaps a tad over-hyped. I think I might eventually like it better than Batman Begins, but I need another viewing. Talk of an Oscar for best movie, though? Nuh-uh. It's a very good movie, but not great.

Does Heath Ledger deserve an Oscar? Don't know. He certainly owned the role, and there were moments when he was genuinely scary (pay attention to him when he comments over a videotape he's making of a victim). He was over the top without being kitschy over the top (I know, it doesn't make sense, but you'll have to see the movie for yourself to understand). He was VERY good, and stole the film for sure...If he gets it it won't be for just playing a comic book villain (I think the Hollywood types who take this stuff really seriously will only nominate him, not actually give him the statue), it's be because he died and he also played a gay dude in Brokeback.

What I was genuinely shocked at was the trailer for T4. Did anyone know they were making Terminator 4? I didn't. And Christian Bale is playing John Connor, which, as you may have surmised, means that this is the movie we've been waiting for since 1985: Terminator set in a post-apocalyptic world. I just hope they don't screw this up.

xfl2001fan
07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I saw it two nights ago. I was oneof those who doubted Heath Ledger could pull of the Joker. (I was afraid he'd do a Jim Carrey-Riddler job of it). I would easily put him as the scariest joker in any version of Batman (cartoon, TV, movies.)

I liked the movie, though it was pretty long (2.5 hours). I got into the theatre a little late (missed the T4 thing). He should at least get a nod for an Oscar. Glad to see that they kept most of the cast together. The fight scenes were a little better than Batman Begins.

It's a shame Heath died, because it will be hard to replace his performance in future movies (should they find that role).

This is a movie that I'll be purchasing on DVD once it comes out and may go watch again (at the IMAX nearby) once it's been out for a little while longer (smaller crowds would be nice.)

If you liked Batman Begins, this movie was a great follow up. (Scary to think that revefsreleets and I can agree!) lol

The Duke
07-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Ledger was just amazing. definitely deserves an oscar :hatsoff:

sad thing is, no more joker if they do another movie. just like they showed scarecrow at the beggining they won't be able to do the same with joker.

but it's ok, was worth it. few people actually capture the role of a character like ledger did joker

I liked the movie, though it was pretty long (2.5 hours)

batman begins was about the same.

It actually didn't feel long to me, it was that good.

#1 on my list of DVDs to buy :thumbsup:

xfl2001fan
07-21-2008, 06:12 PM
It was only when it was over that I noticed how late it was. The movie was set to start at around 8, I didn't get in til like 815 (long lines for the junk food/latrines). When you've got kids, getting home after 1130 is late. LOL

The Duke
07-21-2008, 06:35 PM
It was only when it was over that I noticed how late it was. The movie was set to start at around 8, I didn't get in til like 815 (long lines for the junk food/latrines). When you've got kids, getting home after 1130 is late. LOL

lol, I was in line like 30 minutes before it began. One of the 1st to get in :thumbsup:

lines were really awful though, I felt sorry for the ones way way on the back

fansince'76
07-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Stand in line to plunk down $9-$10 for a movie so I can have my feet stick to the floor in God knows what and listen to peoples' cell phones going off? Thanks, but I'll wait for the DVD. The "big screen moviegoing experience" holds absolutely no appeal for me.

xfl2001fan
07-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Surprisingly, only one cell phone went off while I was there. He did a quick stage left and I never saw him return. (That's not to say he didn't return, I just never noticed it as he was on the far side of the theatre and near the back.)

fansince'76 You could always go to sites like joox.net, quicksilverscreen.com, or hulu.com.

It will likely be some cam version, but they usually have something come out within days of stuff hitting the theatres.

xfl2001fan
07-21-2008, 06:50 PM
lol, I was in line like 30 minutes before it began. One of the 1st to get in :thumbsup:

lines were really awful though, I felt sorry for the ones way way on the back

One of my friends/co-workers got in on the midnight showing Thursday night. She was dragging ass while working but real animated talking about the movie. I figured if she was looking to go back, it was worth seeing at an IMAX. Otherwise, I would have had to wait for it to hit HBO or DVD.

pittsburghp8baller
07-21-2008, 06:55 PM
What I was genuinely shocked at was the trailer for T4. Did anyone know they were making Terminator 4? I didn't. And Christian Bale is playing John Connor, which, as you may have surmised, means that this is the movie we've been waiting for since 1985: Terminator set in a post-apocalyptic world. I just hope they don't screw this up.

ive been following the work on T4 (called Terminator Salvation). from what im hearing they are going in a somewhat different direction for the first of these. they have plans on making 3 new movies all three as much seperate from the original three as they can get. it will go through mankind's struggle for exsistence and introduce a new character- Marcus (played by Sam Worthington). it has been said that Marcus is a decommissioned terminator and last memory is a few years before Judgement Day where he was on death row.

As for the Dark Knight, easly one of the best/favorite movies ive seen. Heath Ledger as the Joker was brilliant. Even Two-Face was a good addition, if it was not the unfortuante death of Ledger id be demanding for another film where maybe the Joker escapes from Arkam (as he did many times in the comics/cartoons) and puts Gotham through more hell, maybe adding another villian to it or Robin.

millwalldavey
07-21-2008, 08:22 PM
bout 30 minutes too long IMHO

xfl2001fan
07-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Yeah, they played up Harvey Dent really well. His second face looked much more realistic than the cartoonish version that T. Jones was sporting a few years ago. This two-face was has a very dark sadistic side as well. Sets us up for a very nice next film!

k7brown
07-22-2008, 07:22 AM
I thought the movie was awesome! I enjoyed it and it is now one of my favorite movies. I plan on going back to watch it here in the near future.

revefsreleets
07-22-2008, 08:00 AM
Batman w/o Joker doesn't seem right, and they obviously had this film set up to further explore the "relationship", but who the Hell reprises Ledgers role?

xfl2001fan
07-22-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm sure they'll find another gem to fill the role in the future. I wasn't sold on Ledger as playing the Joker initially, nor was I sold on Christian Bale for Batman Begins. A British actor playing a classic American icon? Yeah, right! Glad I was wrong.

Since Batman Begins came out, I've been looking into his other roles (3:10 to Yuma, Reign of Fire, American Psycho). He's a pretty versatile guy.

KeiselPower99
07-22-2008, 12:47 PM
I cant wait to see it. Hopefully I can talk the wife into it this weekend. anyone seen the new Batman cartoon dvd thats out??? Its supposed to be really good too.

Atlanta Dan
07-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm sure they'll find another gem to fill the role in the future. I wasn't sold on Ledger as playing the Joker initially, nor was I sold on Christian Bale for Batman Begins. A British actor playing a classic American icon? Yeah, right! Glad I was wrong.

Since Batman Begins came out, I've been looking into his other roles (3:10 to Yuma, Reign of Fire, American Psycho). He's a pretty versatile guy.

And apparently disturbed enough in real life to play the role of the Caped Crusader:sofunny:

Batman star Christian Bale has left a London police station after being questioned over claims he assaulted his mother and sister....

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Showbiz-News/Batman-star-Christian-Bale-arrested-over-assault/Article/200807415049544?lpos=Showbiz%2BNews_0&lid=ARTICLE_15049544_Batman%2Bstar%2BChristian%2BB ale%2Barrested%2Bover%2B%2527assault%2527

revefsreleets
07-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Bale is an amazing actor. Has been. Jesus, watch "The Machinist". It's absolutely disturbing, and he pulled a De Niro in the opposite direct (Raging Bull), and LOST 100 pounds for the role. The guy is so emaciated he looks like he's ready to fall apart, and it adds a haunting quality to an already very dark and twisted movie.

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Anyone else think the gangster in one of the early scenes that put a price on the Joker's head and had the Joker "delivered" to him looked like Joey Porter? :sofunny:

Atlanta Dan
07-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Well here is an interpretation of The Dark Knight that passed over my head:rofl:

There seems to me no question that the Batman film "The Dark Knight," currently breaking every box office record in history, is at some level a paean of praise to the fortitude and moral courage that has been shown by George W. Bush in this time of terror and war. Like W, Batman is vilified and despised for confronting terrorists in the only terms they understand. Like W, Batman sometimes has to push the boundaries of civil rights to deal with an emergency, certain that he will re-establish those boundaries when the emergency is past.

And like W, Batman understands that there is no moral equivalence between a free society -- in which people sometimes make the wrong choices -- and a criminal sect bent on destruction. The former must be cherished even in its moments of folly; the latter must be hounded to the gates of Hell.

"The Dark Knight," then, is a conservative movie about the war on terror.

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/SB121694247343482821.html

I see the Gitmo/"enhanced interrogation" issues when Batman "questions" Joker in the holding cell and listening in on every cell phone conversation in Gotham was a clear reference to the monitoring of telecom communications without approval under FISA, but W as the model for billionaire playboy Bruce Wayne was something I missed - more humor from the WSJ editorial page

tony hipchest
07-25-2008, 07:12 PM
- more humor from the WSJ editorial page

you mean that wasnt from the Onion? lol

revefsreleets
07-26-2008, 07:49 PM
I must say, that kind of analogy certainly stretches credulity to it's limit.

Atlanta Dan
07-26-2008, 09:17 PM
I must say, that kind of analogy certainly stretches credulity to it's limit.

I dunno - hard to argue with this

A beam of light flashed into the night sky, the dark symbol of a bat projected onto the surface of the racing clouds . . .

Oh, wait a minute. That's not a bat, actually. In fact, when you trace the outline with your finger, it looks kind of like . . . a "W."
:toofunny:

http://online.wsj.com/article_print/SB121694247343482821.html

The amazing part is that this guy is serious

revefsreleets
07-26-2008, 09:29 PM
Well, the Wall Street Journal is to conservatism what the NYT is to liberalism...pick your poison, I guess...

Atlanta Dan
07-26-2008, 09:34 PM
http://blogs.tnr.com/tnr/blogs/the_plank/bush%20batman.jpg

Seems clear to me

tony hipchest
07-26-2008, 09:41 PM
:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Counselor
07-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Anyone else think the gangster in one of the early scenes that put a price on the Joker's head and had the Joker "delivered" to him looked like Joey Porter? :sofunny:

Yes! I just saw it last night, and for a moment I thought it WAS Joey Porter! :laughing:

KeiselPower99
04-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Thought Id bump this thread as I have finally seen the movie and its good but way overhyped. The characters are good but the story is so-so. Eckart plays a good 2 face and Ledger is tremendous as a homicidal Joker. Good but way WAY overhyped.

revefsreleets
04-03-2009, 09:10 AM
See it a second time...that always does the trick for me with overhyped movies.

TeeJay
04-03-2009, 05:34 PM
See it a second time...that always does the trick for me with overhyped movies.

*Nods*

I'm seeing new things each time I still watch Batman Begins...:nw:

As for The Dark Knight it was...first time...ok......second time...damn that was better than ok......third time.......Oh Hell Yeah, I get it.

Heath Ledger was an awesome Joker (and I never thought anyone other than Mark Hamill could pull off a Joker laugh!:jawdrop:)

kittenfantastico76
04-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I believe it was properly hyped - I loved this movie. Heath was absolutely amazing in this film.

KeiselPower99
04-03-2009, 10:48 PM
I watched it again and still feel the same. I think honestly the hype had to do with Ledgers death. He is good as the Joker but the movie is good not great.

BrandonCarr39
04-06-2009, 03:29 AM
Can't believe nobody has posted about it yet. Saw it yesterday, and it was good, but perhaps a tad over-hyped. I think I might eventually like it better than Batman Begins, but I need another viewing. Talk of an Oscar for best movie, though? Nuh-uh. It's a very good movie, but not great.

Does Heath Ledger deserve an Oscar? Don't know. He certainly owned the role, and there were moments when he was genuinely scary (pay attention to him when he comments over a videotape he's making of a victim). He was over the top without being kitschy over the top (I know, it doesn't make sense, but you'll have to see the movie for yourself to understand). He was VERY good, and stole the film for sure...If he gets it it won't be for just playing a comic book villain (I think the Hollywood types who take this stuff really seriously will only nominate him, not actually give him the statue), it's be because he died and he also played a gay dude in Brokeback.

The only other actor they gave an Oscar too after he passed away was that guy who played the lead role in 1976's "Network"(forgot his name).

I hardly go to the movies anymore, but I saw "The Dark Knight" last year on my b-day. Mindless flick, not great, but I really liked it for what it was nonetheless.

I do want to see T4. BTW - who would have thought the plot in the original "Terminator" movie 25 years ago would potentially come into fruition? With that whole man vs. machine war in the apocolyptic world...with the way technologically has progressed presently, 2% of the population on this earth(the wealthy elites, pretty much) has what it takes with this technology to destroy the world.

Steeldude
04-06-2009, 07:36 AM
hopefully T4 will be better than the disaster T3. i am glad i waited for it to come on cable instead of spending $11.

revefsreleets
04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
The only redeeming thing about T3 was it showed that Judgment Day occurs no matter what...

If I was Sky Net I'd just send a Terminator back to about 1950 and kill Sarah Connor's mom while she was in High School. Problem solved.