PDA

View Full Version : Ben Ready to set another record

siss
07-22-2008, 10:08 AM
We all know he's the youngest QB ever to win a Super Bowl. But according to a Sports Illustrated article published today:

"Ben Roethlisberger enters the 2008 season with a truly historic mark, averaging an amazing 8.13 yards per pass attempt for his career, the top mark in the Live Ball Era (1978-present) and behind only Hall of Famers Otto Graham (8.63), Sid Luckman (8.42) and Norm Van Brocklin (8.13).

"Roethlisberger needs 64 pass attempts -- which he should reach no later than Week 3 -- to meet the minimum 1,500 career attempts required by official NFL records. With a good season, he could leap past Van Brocklin into the No. 3 spot all time in passing yards per attempt."

But he's just a game manager right!

vasteeler
07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
By the time he is done I think he will set a lot of records:tt:

Lord Stiller
07-22-2008, 01:04 PM
this is a major accomplishment

DACEB
07-22-2008, 02:42 PM
This is indeed an impressive stat, and one I've been keeping my eye on. Last year Ben struggled slightly with his YPA, when it dipped below 8/YPA in some games last season. That just goes to show how far ahead his average was of all the other QBs.

This stat may dip if Ben utilizes his outlet at RB, like many of us would like to see him do instead of taking a sack. That's a catch to this equation, sacks don't count against the average. The average may also go up as the height of his receivers has gone up.:wink02:
Seriously, Santo and Sweed should provide great deep targets.

Everyone on this board knows Ben is more than a game manager, Ben is a PLAYMAKER!!

Lord Stiller
07-22-2008, 03:03 PM
This is indeed an impressive stat, and one I've been keeping my eye on. Last year Ben struggled slightly with his YPA, when it dipped below 8/YPA in some games last season. That just goes to show how far ahead his average was of all the other QBs.

he didn't struggle when it counted

YPA on 3rd down in 2007

Roethlisberger 9.05
Peyton 7.99
Brady 7.82

steelersfanman92
07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
That really is impressive

Black@Gold Forever32
07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
I pointed out that Ben was 4th all time in yards per attempt in the Ben is on the verge of greatness thread....So I'm glad you posted this....With all the stats that writer mentioned in that article he didn't bother mentioning this one...Which was odd since he went in depth with stats in that article....

HometownGal
07-22-2008, 03:32 PM
Very impressive especially considering the OL Ben's had to play behind the past couple of years.

Ben is only going to get better this season and in the seasons to follow and that has to be scary as hell for our opponents. :tt02:

The Duke
07-22-2008, 03:32 PM

YPA on 3rd down in 2007

Roethlisberger 9.05
Peyton 7.99
Brady 7.82

wow!

and that's' considering all the 3rd and longs which were obviously passing situations, therefore pass rushers tried even harder to sack him

simply amazing. get this guy an o line and he is easily the best in the league

19ward86
07-22-2008, 04:40 PM
I have a feeling that ben will have a big yds per attempt this year since the recieving core is amazing now.

revefsreleets
07-22-2008, 08:25 PM
"He sucks. I'll coach him and make him a better QB"

< XFL >

missedgehead
07-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Ben is an amazing QB. What else is there to say? :)

Steel Pit
07-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Another factor that makes this stat impressive is that Ben played 3 years for the "sometimes-ultra conservative" Bil Cowher.

If Ben begins hitting his RB's, Moore and Mendenhall, out of the backfield then I see his average per attempt improving rather than dipping as another post pointed out.
I believe that these two RB's will break off quite a few RAC yards.

Galax Steeler
07-23-2008, 04:32 AM
I think with the adittion of sweed that could help his percentage also I look for ben to have a great year and as steel pit said having mendenhall wont't hurt either.

DACEB
07-23-2008, 07:09 AM

YPA on 3rd down in 2007

Roethlisberger 9.05
Peyton 7.99
Brady 7.82

Great stats L.S., like I said, he is far ahead of the average.

Preacher
07-23-2008, 05:57 PM
It is hard not to start getting excited about Steeler football.

Man.

Counselor
07-23-2008, 05:59 PM
It is hard not to start getting excited about Steeler football.

Man.

Agreed! This offseason has been painfully slow.

Big D
07-23-2008, 06:00 PM
I think ben will have a career year this year. I think ben is molding into a great future hall of fame qb

millwalldavey
07-23-2008, 06:01 PM
He is simply the best all-around QB in the game!

Preacher
07-23-2008, 07:33 PM
He is simply the best all-around QB in the game!

Ok...

I am not sure I would go that far!! Keep your daydreaming to your liberal views! :rofl:

Seriously...

I would put him in the top 5. His decision making skills still scare me a bit at times. He is definitely a gambler.

LVSteelersfan
07-24-2008, 01:06 AM
I am puzzled why people think this is such a great stat. It mostly means that he has to make those 18 yard passes over and over again on third down. I would rather the team need short yardage on third down EVERY SERIES and not have to go for those long yardage plays all the time. Sorry, but dink and dunk DOES WORK on first and second down and that would make that average go down.

DACEB
07-24-2008, 07:07 AM
He is definitely a gambler.

How'd that work out for Favre, Preach?:wink02:

DACEB
07-24-2008, 07:10 AM
I am puzzled why people think this is such a great stat. It mostly means that he has to make those 18 yard passes over and over again on third down. I would rather the team need short yardage on third down EVERY SERIES and not have to go for those long yardage plays all the time. Sorry, but dink and dunk DOES WORK on first and second down and that would make that average go down.

This IS an incredible stat. Your right that we shouldn't be in 3rd and long, that's a given. But, this stat says that Ben is THE playmaker at the QB position, now and right on track for all time.

The Duke
07-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Ok...

I am not sure I would go that far!! Keep your daydreaming to your liberal views! :rofl:

Seriously...

I would put him in the top 5. His decision making skills still scare me a bit at times. He is definitely a gambler.

He's got a little bit of favre in him, I love it :thumbsup:

Nobody wants to be in 3rd and long, but the fact is ben can handle it, and is possibly the best in the game at that situation. and it's not like it's his fault we're always in 3rd and long

Edman
07-24-2008, 12:57 PM
"But...but it doesn't count! Ben is a game manager and we can't win if he throws more than 20 times a game!":blah:

I'm really excited to Tomlin Year 2 kick off next Monday. The Penguins made this Steeler offseason more bearable with their SCF run, but the Pirates haven't done much. Go Steelers! Let's kick some arse on '08!

SteelMember
07-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Big Ben is the man! Our team has't had much to compare him to, so I may have on rose colored glasses:cool:, but he is the man. $102 million dollar man.

He will definately surpass the attempts in his career, but it may no guarantee he can keep that average. He does like to "Throw it deep" just like Bradshaw and when he gets out of the pocket he seems to have that playground mentality.:flex:

LambertIsGod58
07-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Ok...

Seriously...

Preacher, I love you!! You are one of few on this site who sees things in black and white. Not much gray area. Based on last season, Ben is a top QB. But he's not the best IMO. Manning and Brady are both better!

LambertIsGod58
07-24-2008, 02:20 PM
And I don't think there's been a better "deep ball" QB than Bradshaw.....just my opinon.

SteelMember
07-24-2008, 03:50 PM
And I don't think there's been a better "deep ball" QB than Bradshaw.....just my opinon.

Agree'd. :thumbsup: