PDA

View Full Version : Steelers ranked 3rd in roster depth

tony hipchest
07-22-2008, 03:08 PM
ive read many opinions bemoaning steelers depth on both the offensive and defensive lines. some see the "glass half empty". others (including professionals who actually have gm experience and get paid to study roster depth) see the "glass as half full".

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story?id=09000d5d80962efc&template=with-video&confirm=true

As camps around the league open this week, the stars will deservedly get the bulk of the attention.

However, the NFL is a war of attrition and medical issues can quickly mount. Roster depth is a critical factor to most teams' success. Granted if your favorite team has a few superstars and they avoid injury, then depth isn't as big of an issue. Although for most squads, depth is a major component for winning and losing.

Each year I examine every depth chart right before training camp commences, looking for the teams with the best depth...

a good read explaining how kirwan narrows it down to this-

1. Vikings

2. Bucs

3. Steelers

4. Redskins

5. Eagles

DACEB
07-22-2008, 03:14 PM
a good read explaining how kirwan narrows it down to this-

It really is interesting, and IMO valid, how he comes to the conclusion. What I find most interesting is that out of those five, we are THE most serious contenders.

steelreserve
07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm amazed the Patriots aren't #1 and the Colts aren't #2. Nobody but the Patriots and Colts are allowed to be ranked 1-2 at ANYthing. I think the owners voted to make that a league bylaw.

19ward86
07-22-2008, 04:43 PM
I think we are #1, i believe we have the best receiving core, top 3 running back, maybe #1 QB depth and our defense is nothing to be ashamed of.

The Duke
07-22-2008, 06:14 PM
yeah, great depth pretty much everywhere, except defensive end

actually, I'm surprised they don't mention defensive end for any team, just DT....

anyway, it's good to have depth, especially at RB, we know how that hurt us at worst moment last year

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-22-2008, 06:15 PM
No way we are #1. The Vikings are stacked on defense. Birk, Hutchinson, McKinney on the O line and Peterson, Taylor in the backfield????

The Vikings are weak at QB and WR. Kind of like having an Abrams tank without any ammunition.:)

revefsreleets
07-22-2008, 08:27 PM
We are definitely close to the top at depth of OL. We have what, 7-8 former starters trying out for 5 spots? That line is going to be a lot better this year, I can just feel it in my bones...

Davison_K
07-22-2008, 11:49 PM
That line is going to be a lot better this year, I can just feel it in my bones...

It is hard for me to imagine it much worse than it was last year... I guess rather than second in the league in most sacks giving up we could be first... so I GUESS it COULD be worse :coffee:

Preacher
07-23-2008, 12:25 AM
We are definitely close to the top at depth of OL. We have what, 7-8 former starters trying out for 5 spots? That line is going to be a lot better this year, I can just feel it in my bones...

I am hoping for average this year...

but average is going to be a lot better than the line was last year.

Average may actually get us a couple games closer to the SB.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-23-2008, 12:26 AM
The line was destroyed by injury to Smith, Mahan sucks and Colon a first year starter.....it will be better.

Problem is what happens next year as Smith, Starks, Kemoateu are in the final year of their contracts and we are all hoping Hartwig can be solid.

missedgehead
07-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I think we are ranked about right as far as depth. As far as the Colts and Pats....if anything happened to Peyton Manning for example, do anyone really think they could get by with Jim Sorgi for oh, let's say 3 or 4 games? One of my friends who loves his Colts would have a COW if Peyton Manning was knocked out of a game and could not play for several weeks. Steelers have, IMO, the best backup in the NFL at QB.

Steeldude
07-23-2008, 01:56 AM
simmons has been average to below since he was drafted.

colon isn't a tackle. could be a good guard, IMO.

mahan sucks.

starks hasn't really shown anything. he was beaten out at RT by a guard who was basically a rookie. i think he is better suited at LT.

smith is injury prone, but is the best the steelers have at the moment. steelers only bright spot. hopefully his back is healed like they say. his contract is over soon.

kemo is strong, but unproven and couldn't push for a starting spot until someone left. earning a starting role by being next in line after a departure isn't a necessarily good thing.

essex is just a body.

hartwig is nothing special(as of yet)

capizzi is unknown.

hills is a rookie who has a history of bad injuries.

do we have depth on the O-line because the starters are so average that there isn't a drop-off on the bench?

let's hope hartwig excels as the steelers' center, smith's back is healed, starks puts forth effort all season and the guards to become dominant. :smile:

one other thing, pick the O-line a little earlier in camp. i couldn't stand the musical lineman last season.

Steeldude
07-23-2008, 01:58 AM
line is going to be a lot better this year, I can just feel it in my bones

i hope your bones are correct.

Galax Steeler
07-23-2008, 04:37 AM
If it was only the offense being ranked on depth we should be no.1 with all of our weapons the only question would be the offensive line.

Davison_K
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
kemo is strong, but unproven and couldn't push for a starting spot until someone left. earning a starting role by being next in line after a departure isn't a necessarily good thing.

I have read a couple times that Kemo almost got the starting job over Simmons for RG... Now whether that is just the coaching staff blowing smoke up our ass to make us feel more comfortable with losing Faneca I have no idea, but until proven otherwise I will believe that Kemo could have started last year and therefore really isn't just getting the starting job by default :noidea:

rdsovchen
07-23-2008, 11:34 AM

I have a feeling that what you feel in your bones is the pre-emptive pain of Big Ben getting sacked 43 times this year....but hey, that is an improvement!:thumbsup:

steeltheone
07-24-2008, 06:37 AM
I'm amazed the Patriots aren't #1 and the Colts aren't #2. Nobody but the Patriots and Colts are allowed to be ranked 1-2 at ANYthing. I think the owners voted to make that a league bylaw.

Because they are a Brady and Manning away from 9 loses. Not so sure it's not the same for the Steelers.