PDA

View Full Version : I am a huge Goodell fan....he's backin' Favre, check it out

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Goodell never ceases to amaze me. He does one right thing after another. Sounds like he's got Favre's back on this situation.

The Green Bay Packers have spoken to multiple teams to see what they would be willing to offer for Favre.

Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images
Brett Favre's status for 2008 remains unclear.

Related:
Favre retirement timeline
Prez has 'full confidence' in GM
Vikings decline comment
Packers file tampering charges
Favre tempted to report to camp
Favre breaks silence
Packers won't release Favre

It is unknown exactly how many teams the Packers have spoken with, but what is known is that they have not relegated their exploratory calls strictly to AFC teams. Green Bay has called multiple teams in the NFC as well. The Packers declined comment.

One NFL executive speculated that the Packers simply are doing their dillegence and fielding any of the potential offers before deciding whether it would be worth trading Favre, who does want to play in 2008.

This hardly means the Packers will wind up dealing Favre. But at least they are debating the merits of it, reaching out to teams to inquire what Favre would bring in return.

By contacting other teams and fielding any potential offers, the Packers then can make a more informed decision about whether or not it is worth trading Favre.

Though it could happen, it still is hard to envision -– the Packers trading Favre.

Yet if Favre opted to play, and if the Packers were willing to trade him -– and those are two big ifs -- the NFC team that would make the most sense is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden is fascinated with quarterbacks and never has enough of them. During his time in Tampa, he also never has had the chance to work with a quarterback like Favre.

In fact, Favre would have to be willing to report to any team that strikes a deal with Green Bay; thus, Favre’s willingness to play for another team must be factored into any potential trade, and the quarterback’s overwhelming preference is to continue playing in Green Bay, not anywhere else.

Still, the Packers have not welcomed back Favre and have told him that he would be a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Before that would happen, Favre first must decide whether he is willing to play this season, even though he clearly wants to. If he does, he would have to send the NFL and the Packers a letter asking to be reinstated. Favre has not made any decisions about if or when to send such a letter.

But there now is another intriguing storyline to go along with any letter. With Jason Taylor in Washington, Jeremy Shockey in New York and big trades sweeping the NFL, the Packers are exploring the possibility of making the biggest of them all.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8096f34c&template=with-video&confirm=true

redst3
07-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Favre trade likely within next 48 hours
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3500610

Admin: I thought this merited a new thread because the old one deals with his "return." Sorry if I messed up!!

Otherwise the local monkees were talking about him going to the Bucs....:coffee:

fansince'76
07-23-2008, 07:32 AM
I don't see where in the first article that Goodell is even quoted on the situation. :noidea:

Is this it?

One NFL executive speculated that the Packers simply are doing their dillegence and fielding any of the potential offers before deciding whether it would be worth trading Favre, who does want to play in 2008.

If so, I fail to see how that is "having Favre's back."

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 07:42 AM
I don't see where in the first article that Goodell is even quoted on the situation. :noidea:

Is this it?

No, I added that from ESPN Radio this morning. Goodell suggested to the Packers to resolve this situation. And I got the impression that it wasn't to have Brett on the bench holding a clipboard.

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 07:45 AM

Is this it?

Here you go.....Better now?

Home / Sports NFL notebook

Packers told to resolve Favre's status
Email|Print|Single Page| Text size + By
Associated Press / July 23, 2008
The Green Bay Packers got busy making phone calls yesterday to several teams after being encouraged by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to resolve the controversy surrounding quarterback Brett Favre before they begin training camp Sunday, ESPN.com reported.

The commissioner has been briefed by Packers general manager Ted Thompson on the status of the team's approach with Favre, who has said he wants to play again. Sources said Thompson reaffirmed to the commissioner that the organization wants to "move on" without Favre. Consequently, Goodell encouraged the GM to accelerate the process by surveying teams around the league to determine if there is a trade partner, the website reported.

The commissioner made it clear to Thompson that Favre will be reinstated as an active player if he makes the request, a decision that is forthcoming by Favre. Although it's not known which teams the Packers have contacted, NFL.com reported that NFC teams as well as AFC teams are being considered.

Castillo gets extension
San Diego Chargers defensive end Luis Castillo agreed to a five-year contract extension worth about $43 million, including a guaranteed $17.5 million in signing and roster bonuses. The deal keeps him in San Diego through 2014. Castillo has 13 sacks in 36 career games, including 33 starts. He had only 2 1/2 sacks last year, when he missed six games with an ankle injury . . . Tony Dungy is certain Peyton Manning's left knee will be ready for the Colts' season opener. The Colts coach said he thinks Manning might even play during the preseason. Manning had surgery last week to remove an infected bursa sac, a procedure doctors said would require 4-6 weeks to heal . . . Offensive tackle Orlando Pace is close to returning from a shoulder injury, but will begin Rams training camp on the physically unable to perform list. Pace tore the labrum and rotator cuff in his right shoulder in the 2007 season opener.

Henry isn't welcome
Coach Marvin Lewis emphatically closed the door on the possibility of receiver Chris Henry rejoining the Bengals. Cincinnati released Henry in April after he was arrested for the fifth time, and the NFL suspended him indefinitely. His court case ended in a mistrial and prosecutors dropped the charges, prompting Henry to seek reinstatement . . . The Raiders agreed to terms on a one-year deal with former Chiefs safety Greg Wesley . . . Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher signed a one-year contract extension through 2012 that is worth $18 million . . . The Ravens waived former Boston College cornerback Lenny Walls . . . The Giants agreed to terms with first-round choice Kenny Phillips, and the Super Bowl champions will open training camp with all of their draft picks under contract. Phillips, a safety from Miami, will earn roughly $11 million over the next five years.

fansince'76
07-23-2008, 07:48 AM
So Goodell now has the authority to butt into teams' personnel matters? Gotta love the precedent that sets.

redst3
07-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Admin: Sorry about the screw up on the thread, I know that's a pain. I'm trying to become more active on the board.

Any way, Favre is a good fit for the Bucs if it happens, and I am not sure it will. Jeff Garcia is not the kind of guy who is going to get it done, so it makes sense for the Bucs. I am not sure it makes sense for Favre.

Godell needs to stay out of internal affairs, IMHO, when it comes to pushing teams to make a deal.

HometownGal
07-23-2008, 08:24 AM
So Goodell now has the authority to butt into teams' personnel matters? Gotta love the precedent that sets.

Hey - I'm all for Favre playing again this season, but I have to agree with you, Gary. This is a personnel matter between the Pack's FO and Favre - Goodell should butt out.

As far as respecting Goodell with regard to this situation, I lost all respect for the man during Cheat*gate.

stlrtruck
07-23-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm not for the commish getting his hands on player situations with teams.

He can't handle some of his current responsibilties in regards to the integrity of the league - now he wants his hands in team's cookie jars!!

Stay the heck out of it R-O-G-E-R!

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Covered up Spygate and is forcing the Rooneys to sell the brothers interest in the Steelers - yeah, I'm a huge Goodell fan:mad:

missedgehead
07-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I love Goddell actually. He doesn't just sit on his butt like Tagliabue did alot of the time. I don't see what was wrong with making the Rooneys sell the brothers' interests. I mean, if it against the RULES for them to have interests in racetracks and own an NFL team, then the Steelers have to abide by the rules also, or are the Steelers above the rules also? He punished the Pats and now he is making the Steelers follow the rules. Funny how people think that no one should follow rules. I just got a ticket so I have to pay the fine and go to traffic school so I don't get any points on my license and my insurance does not increase. If I have to follow the rules in life, so do the Steelers and Pats, etc.

As for the Farve nonsense, I am GLAD Goodell is getting involved. It is about time someone tries to end this fiasco once and for all.

fansince'76
07-23-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't see what was wrong with making the Rooneys sell the brothers' interests. I mean, if it against the RULES for them to have interests in racetracks and own an NFL team, then the Steelers have to abide by the rules also, or are the Steelers above the rules also? He punished the Pats and now he is making the Steelers follow the rules. Funny how people think that no one should follow rules.

You realize that the horse track in Florida has been in the family since the early '70s, right? And all of a sudden, two years ago it became an issue due to the installation of slot machines? Right. Yeah, that really equates to 7+ years of a coach illegally taping opponents' signals, alright. Especially when said coach was given an out in the form of a memo from the league office and said coach still continued to break the rules. Oh, my bad, he still continued to "misinterpret" them. Comparing the Rooneys to Belicheat is a stretch - a very big stretch. :coffee:

tony hipchest
07-23-2008, 11:56 AM
I mean, if it against the RULES for them to have interests in racetracks and own an NFL team, then the Steelers have to abide by the rules also, or are the Steelers above the rules also? He punished the Pats and now he is making the Steelers follow the rules. Funny how people think that no one should follow rules. it may be against the rules now, but how come the NFL allowed Art Rooney Sr. purchase the racetracks in the 1st place?

point being, there are younger Rooneys who believe they would have a strong case in court to be "grandfathered" in. after all, they are one of the original founding families of the NFL.

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Hey - I'm all for Favre playing again this season, but I have to agree with you, Gary. This is a personnel matter between the Pack's FO and Favre - Goodell should butt out.

As far as respecting Goodell with regard to this situation, I lost all respect for the man during Cheat*gate.

Goodell's job is to do whatever is best for the league. Favre is good for the league. Easy decision on Goodell's part IMO. And for his stance with players like Pac Man, I mean Andrew , and Chris Henry I am a Goodell fan!!!

fansince'76
07-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Goodell's job is to do whatever is best for the league.

Butting into the personnel matters of individual teams is not in the best interest of the league, IMO.

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Butting into the personnel matters of individual teams is not in the best interest of the league, IMO.

Does that include the suspensions of Pac-Man and Chris Henry?

MACH1
07-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Goodell's job is to do whatever is best for the league. Favre is good for the league. Easy decision on Goodell's part IMO. And for his stance with players like Pac Man, I mean Andrew , and Chris Henry I am a Goodell fan!!!

And that includes covering up for a worthless teams cheating over the last seven years. Maybe he should gather Favres contracts and burn them, problem sholved. Free and clear to go any where he wants.

stlrtruck
07-23-2008, 01:26 PM
I love Goddell actually. He doesn't just sit on his butt like Tagliabue did alot of the time. I don't see what was wrong with making the Rooneys sell the brothers' interests. I mean, if it against the RULES for them to have interests in racetracks and own an NFL team, then the Steelers have to abide by the rules also, or are the Steelers above the rules also? He punished the Pats and now he is making the Steelers follow the rules. Funny how people think that no one should follow rules. I just got a ticket so I have to pay the fine and go to traffic school so I don't get any points on my license and my insurance does not increase. If I have to follow the rules in life, so do the Steelers and Pats, etc.

As for the Farve nonsense, I am GLAD Goodell is getting involved. It is about time someone tries to end this fiasco once and for all.

I understand any involvement of his in the selling of a team. That's part of the league responsibilities. Although I'm not happy about the process, it's still part of the rules of the NFL and as commissioner it is his job to ensure things happen. HOWEVER, to assume that he has the responsiblity for one team to take certain steps just because the player has been the face of the NFL for the last 10 years, oversteps his boundaries. If Favre were a lesser player this wouldn't even be in the headlines.

The issue is between player and team. And while it's going to get out in the media, it is not Roger's job to fix it. Let the team and player play it out and see what happens. Heck Favre hasn't even submitted his letter for reinstatement yet. Once he does, then see if he shows up to camp!

The Commissioner needs to go back inside Kraft's pocket for now.

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 01:48 PM
And that includes covering up for a worthless teams cheating over the last seven years. Maybe he should gather Favres contracts and burn them, problem sholved. Free and clear to go any where he wants.

Cover up? I thought Belichick was fined and they were relieved of their first round pick? Hmmm..... I like you idea of burning Favre's contracts, then he could definately go to Minnesota.

fansince'76
07-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Does that include the suspensions of Pac-Man and Chris Henry?

No, one instance involves the legitimate discipline of players for breaking the law, the other of taking sides on behalf of a big-name player who has acted like a spoiled brat to try and get his way. Big difference.

Cover up? I thought Belichick was fined and they were relieved of their first round pick?

Not to mention a good chunk of the evidence that led to said fine and stripping of a draft pick being destroyed. Nixon could have used a few lessons from Goodell in tape burning. Or do you think that situation was handled completely above board and on the up-and-up? If you do, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 02:19 PM

Your quote doesn't specify which 'butting into' of teams was OK? That's why It was asked. So it's ok to suspend players that are a disgrace to the league, but it's not OK to ensure franchises are not railroading players who simply want to play the game? And as far as your Patriots reference, I don't have all the facts. Can you give me some kind of proof of your allegation? That Goodell covered it up and was involved of destroying tapes? And that's not sarcasm....I just haven't seen it.

fansince'76
07-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Your quote doesn't specify which 'butting into' of teams was OK? That's why It was asked. So it's ok to suspend players that are a disgrace to the league, but it's not OK to ensure franchises are not railroading players who simply want to play the game?

How is Favre being railroaded? Because he needs to earn his starting job back after retiring several months ago as opposed to having it handed back to him? Believe me, if Favre goes back to the Pack and Rodgers starts losing games, it won't be long before Favre is #1 on the depth chart again, and that's assuming he doesn't beat Rodgers out in camp. Ted Thompson can say all he wants about the #1 job being Rodgers' right now, but it's McCarthy's ass that will wind up in a sling before his if the Packers start losing because of poor QB play, and at the end of the day, who starts is his decision. The best player WILL start, period, at every position. There's no room for pettiness in player personnel decisions, especially when both a HC's and a GM's job security from one year to the next depends on winning games.

And as far as your Patriots reference, I don't have all the facts. Can you give me some kind of proof of your allegation? That Goodell covered it up and was involved of destroying tapes? And that's not sarcasm....I just haven't seen it.

"I am very concerned about the underlying facts on the taping, the reasons for the judgment on the limited penalties and, most of all, on the inexplicable destruction of the tapes," Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., wrote Thursday in a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell....Goodell, in his previously scheduled news conference Friday in Phoenix, said, "I am more than willing to speak with the senator. There are very good explanations why the tapes were destroyed by our staff -- there was no purpose for them."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3225539

No purpose for the tapes - according to Goodell. No independent review or anything else. Just his say-so. Sorry, not good enough for this kid.

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 02:53 PM
How is Favre being railroaded? Because he needs to earn his starting job back after retiring several months ago as opposed to having it handed back to him? Believe me, if Favre goes back to the Pack and Rodgers starts losing games, it won't be long before Favre is #1 on the depth chart again, and that's assuming he doesn't beat Rodgers out in camp. Ted Thompson can say all he wants about the #1 job being Rodgers' right now, but it's McCarthy's ass that will wind up in a sling before his if the Packers start losing because of poor QB play, and at the end of the day, who starts is his decision. The best player WILL start, period, at every position. There's no room for pettiness in player personnel decisions, especially when both a HC's and a GM's job security from one year to the next depends on winning games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3225539

From what I heard and read, GB told Favre that he would NOT be competing for the starting job. Thus, his request to be released. And if they have no intentions of not letting him compete, which he would win hands down IMO, then I would call that railroading. The "we don't want you, but we don't anyone else to have you" would also qualify as the same. Move on with Roders....just let Favre play.

fansince'76
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
From what I heard and read, GB told Favre that he would NOT be competing for the starting job. Thus, his request to be released. And if they have no intentions of not letting him compete, which he would win hands down IMO, then I would call that railroading. The "we don't want you, but we don't anyone else to have you" would also qualify as the same. Move on with Roders....just let Favre play.

That's what they say now, but believe me, if McCarthy and Thompson value their jobs, they will let the better QB start. And IMO, the better QB is Favre.

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 03:18 PM
That's what they say now, but believe me, if McCarthy and Thompson value their jobs, they will let the better QB start. And IMO, the better QB is Favre.

I'd agree with that...but I don't think Favre has the trust in Thompson or the rest of the front office to take that chance. Deserved or not. I totally agree that it's wrong how Favre flip flops back and forth like John Kerry on retiring. But to me he's great for the league. He's a throwback player. And just to deny him the chance to compete for the starting job b/c he didn't make up his mind when the GB front office deemed fit, I think is completely wrong. I think for what Favre did for the franchise, he deserves better than that.

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Simply put....for all the good that the commish has done in regards to making players accountable for tarnishing the image of the NFL with their illegal and selfish off-field antics.....he has tarnished that image even more himself, by his coddling of the Patriots*, Belicheat, and "Kraft the Enabler".

It is next to impossible for me to take him seriously from this point on. As far as I am concerned he is a paradox of integrity..spoon feeding the media and fans whatever sound bytes, press releases, and information that fit his agenda. The prototypical "Man behind the Curtain" that we are supposed to ignore why he projects an image of the Great Oz for public consumption.

fansince'76
07-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I'd agree with that...but I don't think Favre has the trust in Thompson or the rest of the front office to take that chance. Deserved or not. I totally agree that it's wrong how Favre flip flops back and forth like John Kerry on retiring. But to me he's great for the league. He's a throwback player. And just to deny him the chance to compete for the starting job b/c he didn't make up his mind when the GB front office deemed fit, I think is completely wrong. I think for what Favre did for the franchise, he deserves better than that.

I can see your point as well - I find it hard to believe that a GM and HC would be stupid enough to let a personal vendetta and pettiness get in the way of putting the best team out on the field. Maybe they would be, though - I can understand why Favre may not want to chance that.

Big D
07-23-2008, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=LambertIsGod58;415118]Goodell never ceases to amaze me. He does one right thing after another. Sounds like he's got Favre's back on this situation.

What is with your man crush over brett favre. My god why dont you change your name to favreisgod4. How would you like if ben played these mind games with the steelers. NO PLAYER IS OVER HIS TEAM

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=LambertIsGod58;415118]Goodell never ceases to amaze me. He does one right thing after another. Sounds like he's got Favre's back on this situation.

What is with your man crush over brett favre. My god why dont you change your name to favreisgod4. How would you like if ben played these mind games with the steelers. NO PLAYER IS OVER HIS TEAM

I honestly wouldn't care if Ben played these games. I'm not a huge Ben fan. I believe FanSince'76 can attest to that.

stlrtruck
07-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I understand his so-called "man crush" on Favre. He's an old school QB that played the game the way it was intended to be played. Favre left everything he had on the field every game day. I hope Ben takes notes on that mentality and continues to develop into that type of player.

However, Favre has been back and forth on this issue more than a politician. I understand that he thought he wanted to retire and now he's changed his mind. If he has truly changed his mind then come back to GB as the backup and earn your position. The team has moved on without you up to this point. So call their bluff to see if they are really going to pay 12 million for a backup.

On the other hand, the team needs to shite or get off the pot. Either release him, trade him, or let him know that he's definitely a packer and regardless of contract, he's going to be in a packer's uniform.

As for the commish, he has no business in team business. His job is to oversee the league, punish players that tarnish the leagues image (with the exception of previously mentioned team from the northeast), and other various activities like the agreements between owners and the player's union. What freakin' right does he have to intervene on negotiations between a player and a team? I mean what if this was Jake Long, would he intervene on behalf of the Dolphins or for Jake being he was the #1 pick?

Roger Good Deal has made a mockary of this league in his short tenure as commish. He needs to worry about his own image and the image of the league before he worries about the legacy of a player or a team for that matter. I mean really if he's worried about the legacy of a team, then why doesn't he change the NFL policy about owners having gambling sites? Maybe make it that minority owners can do things like that ot supplement incomes? Wouldn't that protect the legacy of the Steelers? OR maybe Good Deal wants to pick and choose what teams he protects and what is important to him, not the league!

All I know is enough is enough, in 4 more days players report and in 5 days - JOY!

RoethlisBURGHer
07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
I think Goodell needs to let the Packers and Brett Favre handle the situation on their own. The only "butting in" he needed to do wa to say that of Favre were to submit a request to be reinstated to the league by being removed from the "Retired" list, that he would be reinstated that day is all that was needed.

Not to mention, Favre hasn't even submitted the request.

Not to mention, Favre has not denied or confirmed the reports that the Packers gave him a chance to return as the #1 starter after he retired but he turned it down.

Also, Favre claims that he retired under pressure from the Packers to make a desicion. This is after years of him not announcing his desicion until a week or two before training camp. I can see why the Packers didn't want to give him the leeway to wait until just before camp opens. But if he would have said he just doesn't know...I bet he would have been given more time.

Now he wants to come back, after supposedly being offered a chance to come out of retirment and come into camp as the #1 QB. Now he wants to come back, being handed the role of #1 after all off-season the Packers have been revolving the offense around Aaron Rodgers.

Also, he was never told he wouldn't be given the chance to become the #1 QB...just that he would enter camp as the #2 QB...and Favre's ago cannot have that.

Goodell, just let the Packers front office and Brett Favre handle what will happen to him, just reinstate him if he asks. If he's truly the better QB, he will start. If not...well then he should have just stayed retired.

missedgehead
07-23-2008, 04:28 PM

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit: Of course, Ben DID say "Farve is Farve and he could do whatever he wants." I agree with you though. That is the mentality that these athletes, particularly QBs, have. They think they are so above the team they do not have to follow the rules. I do not get the hero worship of Farve either to be honest. :banging: Farve had a hell of a nerve to be talking to the Vikings on a cell phone owned by the PACKERS!! What kind of EGO does he have to think he can do that. What an arrogant prick, IMO.

Big D
07-23-2008, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=Big D;415283]

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit: Of course, Ben DID say "Farve is Farve and he could do whatever he wants." I agree with you though. That is the mentality that these athletes, particularly QBs, have. They think they are so above the team they do not have to follow the rules. I do not get the hero worship of Farve either to be honest. :banging: Farve had a hell of a nerve to be talking to the Vikings on a cell phone owned by the PACKERS!! What kind of EGO does he have to think he can do that. What an arrogant prick, IMO.

that's exactly the problem. This guy thinks he is god. Using a packers cell phone to call the vikings just goes to show you how ignorant he really is.

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=Big D;415283]

Honestly, Ben's opinion on the Brett Favre's status doesn't interest me. Someone who doesn't have the intelligence to have on a helmet while riding a motorcycle has bigger issues to worry about than who's the starting QB in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Let's talk about that for a minute, huh? Where was Ben thinkin' of his team there? He wasn't. Too busy tryin' to be cool..... But he gets a pass from Steeler fans no matter what he does. Favre on the other hand gave his body and soul for the game and his team week in and week out. His streak says it all. The homerism is understandable....it is. But how is he being selfish because he wants to play? Because he changed his mind? Weak argument IMO. As I've said a million times, MOVE ON WITHOUT FAVRE. I DON'T CARE. Just let him play someplace where he is wanted. That's all.

Big D
07-23-2008, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=missedgehead;415304]

Honestly, Ben's opinion on the Brett Favre's status doesn't interest me. Someone who doesn't have the intelligence to have on a helmet while riding a motorcycle has bigger issues to worry about than who's the starting QB in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Let's talk about that for a minute, huh? Where was Ben thinkin' of his team there? He wasn't. Too busy tryin' to be cool..... But he gets a pass from Steeler fans no matter what he does. Favre on the other hand gave his body and soul for the game and his team week in and week out. His streak says it all. The homerism is understandable....it is. But how is he being selfish because he wants to play? Because he changed his mind? Weak argument IMO. As I've said a million times, MOVE ON WITHOUT FAVRE. I DON'T CARE. Just let him play someplace where he is wanted. That's all.

explain to me how you can be a steeler fan and hate our franchise player? But yet slobber all over brett favre. How many motorcycle riders go out without helmets? I ride without a helmet does that mean i'm dumb?

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Well, first HATE is a strong word. I don't recall ever saying that in regards to Ben. I just don't think he's as good as everyone else does. He had a great year last year. But I seem to remember other QB's who have done the same and are considered mediocre. And as far as the motorcyle riding without a helmet? Are you the franchise QB of any NFL team? I'm not concerned with any other motorcyle riders as it pertains to this post unless it's a starting NFL QB. For you to imply that Favre is selfish for waffling about playing, which I agree he's done, and Ben is not for not wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle is absolutely incredulous IMO. I love the Steelers, but I'm not blinded by unbridaled bias either.

Blitzburgh_Fever
07-23-2008, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=missedgehead;415304]

Brett Favre is a great player and a legend, and it's unfortunate he keeps tarnishing his legacy like this. But he, as well, is far from infallable.

Maybe Atlanta Dan can back me up here. There's an area in Atlanta called Buckhead Avenue, it's a collection of bars and it's a lively (and fun) area of Atlanta. When Favre played for the Falcons, he was known as "Buckhead Brett" (because he hung out there so often), missed a team photo because he was hungover, and failed a physical because he was still drunk (or hungover, can't remember).

All players do stuff like that that isn't "thinking for their team" when they're young. It sucks Ben had to learn the hard way, but at least he learned. Now, I WOULD rather he throws the OL under the bus rather than Ward and Holmes and the receiving corps, but hey, what can ya do.

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=LambertIsGod58;415319]

Brett Favre is a great player and a legend, and it's unfortunate he keeps tarnishing his legacy like this. But he, as well, is far from infallable.

Maybe Atlanta Dan can back me up here. There's an area in Atlanta called Buckhead Avenue, it's a collection of bars and it's a lively (and fun) area of Atlanta. When Favre played for the Falcons, he was known as "Buckhead Brett" (because he hung out there so often), missed a team photo because he was hungover, and failed a physical because he was still drunk (or hungover, can't remember).

All players do stuff like that that isn't "thinking for their team" when they're young. It sucks Ben had to learn the hard way, but at least he learned. Now, I WOULD rather he throws the OL under the bus rather than Ward and Holmes and the receiving corps, but hey, what can ya do.

You're not comparing apples to apples blitz, IMO. Favre wasn't the starting QB in Atlanta. Not even close from what I've seen. Big difference between the two.

LambertIsGod58
07-23-2008, 07:05 PM
[QUOTE=LambertIsGod58;415319]

And a missed photo/failed physical from a bench player compared to missing most of the season for the STARTING QB not wearing a helmet? Yeah, I can see the argrument......LOL!!

Preacher
07-23-2008, 07:43 PM
Hmmm....

Fansince... HTG.... Stltruck.. etc....

I gotta disagree with you all... not on what your saying, but on the interpretation of the actual comments.

Goodell encouraged the GM to accelerate the process by surveying teams around the league to determine if there is a trade partner, the website reported.

The commissioner made it clear to Thompson that Favre will be reinstated as an active player if he makes the request, a decision that is forthcoming by Favre. Although it's not known which teams the Packers have contacted, NFL.com reported that NFC teams as well as AFC teams are being considered.

Seems to me that 2 things happened.

1. The packers talked with Goodell and let him know that Farve may want to come back, but they don't want him and maybe move him to another team. Goodell then encouraged them to look around, instead of just fielding calls.

2. Goodell then game them a heads up that there would be no problem with Farve coming out of retirement.

I don't see the involvement here that some of you do. I see it more as..
"Hey, if you're going to do that... you may be better off doing it this way..."

I could be wrong... probably am, heck, I am human (and married!).

I just don't see it as bad as some others.

LambertIsGod58
07-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Hmmm....

I gotta disagree with you all... not on what your saying, but on the interpretation of the actual comments.

1. The packers talked with Goodell and let him know that Farve may want to come back, but they don't want him and maybe move him to another team. Goodell then encouraged them to look around, instead of just fielding calls.

2. Goodell then game them a heads up that there would be no problem with Farve coming out of retirement.

Preacher sees that it's not a conspiracy theory too!!

stlrtruck
07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Hmmm....

I guess my point is, "Why the heck does he care?" With any other player/team situation he's faced in the last two years has he had anything to say about it? Then why now?

I think he would have been better off keeping his mouth shut until he receives Brett's letter of reinstatement and officially reinstates him. Then see what the Packers FO does before intefering.

I guess the whole thing with SPYGATE has left a bad taste in my mouth with this commish. Now these silly little antics get blown out of proportion.

missedgehead
07-24-2008, 02:19 PM
The sooner this fiasco is over, the happier I will be. I do not want to hear about Farve the ENTIRE football season like so many NFL fans want to. Enough about Farve already. I want this settled one way or the other. I don't care if Goodell has to get involved. Just end it already. Hey, why doesn't Arlen Specter get involved in this if he cares about football so much?

HometownGal
07-24-2008, 02:27 PM
I do not want to hear about Farve the ENTIRE football season

Sure beats hearing about A$$ Chin the entire football season. :doh: At least Favre is an honorable man.

Hey, why doesn't Arlen Specter get involved in this if he cares about football so much?

Senator Specter got involved because he felt a cover-up was in the making between the Cheats* and the NFL. Quite honestly, I'm still not convinced there wasn't, but what's done is done.

stlrtruck
07-24-2008, 02:33 PM
The sooner this fiasco is over, the happier I will be. I do not want to hear about Farve the ENTIRE football season like so many NFL fans want to. Enough about Farve already. I want this settled one way or the other. I don't care if Goodell has to get involved. Just end it already. Hey, why doesn't Arlen Specter get involved in this if he cares about football so much?

It's either hear about him as a retired player or hear about him as a player. Take your pick - either way it's still poison.

Preacher
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Sure beats hearing about A$$ Chin the entire football season. :doh: At least Favre is an honorable man.

:rofl:

HTG...

You got a point there!!!!

Though Favre is starting to seem a little disingenuous... I put it to the fact that his body starts feeling really good around June. He realizes about the first of July that he can actually play another year, and then scrambles like mad to come back.

HometownGal
07-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Tell ya what - for some of you claiming to be sick and tired of hearing about Favre, you sure aren't tired of posting about it. Double standard, no? :chuckle:

Preacher
07-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Tell ya what - for some of you claiming to be sick and tired of hearing about Favre, you sure aren't tired of posting about it. Double standard, no? :chuckle:

Come on HTG...

Its a postcount thing!!!

missedgehead
07-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Who is Ass Chin? Oh, and I don't give a crap about post count. Whatever.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Who is Ass Chin? Oh, and I don't give a crap about post count. Whatever.

Ass Chin is Tom Brady.

HometownGal
07-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Come on HTG...

Its a postcount thing!!!

WIth you, I'm 100% sure of that. :flap::pw::pw:

HometownGal
07-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by missedgehead
Who is Ass Chin?

Ass Chin . . . :laughing:

http://warrenandderrick.typepad.com/our_adventures/images/2008/02/03/tom_brady_11.jpg

steel striker
07-24-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm tired of this whole Favre thing because, every year he struggles with this decision. Either retire or play end of story. I know how great he has been but, enough is enough. There has been better qb's than Brett did not take this long to make a decision. We all know that he is coming back the question is what uniform will he be wearing? I have lost alot of respect for the guy but, on the other hand the Packers could have handled this alot better than they did as well.

MACH1
07-24-2008, 09:23 PM

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/bcrab/plus1.gif

:chuckle:

HometownGal
07-24-2008, 09:25 PM
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w11/bcrab/plus1.gif

:chuckle:

Preacher - is that you? :flap::chuckle:

LambertIsGod58
07-25-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm tired of this whole Favre thing because, every year he struggles with this decision. Either retire or play end of story. I know how great he has been but, enough is enough. There has been better qb's than Brett did not take this long to make a decision. We all know that he is coming back the question is what uniform will he be wearing? I have lost alot of respect for the guy but, on the other hand the Packers could have handled this alot better than they did as well.

And who would you be referring to that was better than Favre that didn't take this long? I'm curious.....

steel striker
07-25-2008, 08:59 PM
And who would you be referring to that was better than Favre that didn't take this long? I'm curious.....

I'm talking about Dan Marino, John Elway but, the point I'm making is that Favre flip flops the last three years. Make a decision and, stick to it. When he does retire Brett will be missed no doubt about it. I do like Favre but, I don't like he has acted through all of this. You can't say I have nothing left to gave then a month alter after the team has moved on. Then say maybe I'm having second thoughts and, you can't expect a team not to move on. After you have retired.