PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin July 23 Press Conference Observations

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2008, 03:40 PM
The uncertain future of the ownership of the Steelers could become a distraction for the players, coach Mike Tomlin said today.

"Potentially," is how Tomlin put the chances of it affecting his ballclub. "Because there'll be questions that I'll have to answer in regards to that and there will be questions that potentially our team has to answer in regard to that.

"I don't have the answer to those questions and neither does our football team; I'm here to coach, they're here to play. Those questions will be answered by the Rooneys."..

Tomlin reiterated Kevin Colbert's prediction that both unsigned rookies, top picks Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed, will have contracts by Sunday....

This camp will not be as physically difficult as his first because the 81-man roster is five fewer than last year. He will not conduct as many true two-a-days as he did in 2007.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08205/898936-66.stm

Surprised Tomlin did not simply say the sale of the team is something nobody other than the Rooneys will comment on and leave it at that. The coach and team do not have to answer something if you put it off limits from day one - why say you have to answer those questions then say you do not have to answer those questions?

Glad to read the camp will be less physical. IMO the push for a good preseason and tough camp left the team runnnig on fumes by Thanskgiving in 2007

tony hipchest
07-23-2008, 03:56 PM
sweet. i love tomlins pressers. thanks dan.

perhaps tomlin is a bit too forthcoming and honest. sorta refreshing though.

the roster limit is really affecting all the teams in camp. there will probably be an increase next season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=E878EC0771DC35C38EAF52163125E2FB? id=09000d5d8095a544&template=with-video&confirm=true

Roster limit could alter ways of doing business in camp there have already been alot of players put on the PUP list and pre season games are being predicted to be especially boring this year.

good to see tomlin is a quick learn and not stuck in his old ways. seems a little more flexible than cowher. hopefully the team responds. as professional as the players are, im sure they will.

:tt02: im psyched. football season really starts for me with the pre camp press conference.

fansince'76
07-23-2008, 04:30 PM

He's not doing it the correct way. The correct way to respond to press conference questions is with monosyllabic grunts and groans while not really saying anything. Can't be divulging any important insider info. :couch:

NM

:chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2008, 04:37 PM
He's not doing it the correct way. The correct way to respond to press conference questions is with monosyllabic grunts and groans while not really saying anything. Can't be divulging any important insider info. :couch:

NM

:chuckle:

If Tomlin starts showing up for press conferences in a gray hoodie with cut off sleeves we will know he is taking your advice.:chuckle:

Preacher
07-23-2008, 04:42 PM
The uncertain future of the ownership of the Steelers could become a distraction for the players, coach Mike Tomlin said today.

"Potentially," is how Tomlin put the chances of it affecting his ballclub. "Because there'll be questions that I'll have to answer in regards to that and there will be questions that potentially our team has to answer in regard to that.

"I don't have the answer to those questions and neither does our football team; I'm here to coach, they're here to play. Those questions will be answered by the Rooneys."..

Tomlin reiterated Kevin Colbert's prediction that both unsigned rookies, top picks Rashard Mendenhall and Limas Sweed, will have contracts by Sunday....

This camp will not be as physically difficult as his first because the 81-man roster is five fewer than last year. He will not conduct as many true two-a-days as he did in 2007.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08205/898936-66.stm

Surprised Tomlin did not simply say the sale of the team is something nobody other than the Rooneys will comment on and leave it at that. The coach and team do not have to answer something if you put it off limits from day one - why say you have to answer those questions then say you do not have to answer those questions?

Glad to read the camp will be less physical. IMO the push for a good preseason and tough camp left the team runnnig on fumes by Thanskgiving in 2007

I think you and I had a thread about that around that time.... didn't we?

I am very excited to hear that. I hope he also has learned not to put them in pads throughout the year in practice.

However, I think it was a smart move the first season. It established HIS way of doing things. Cowher is already the distant past when it comes to day in, day out work. Porter and Big Red being gone helped facilitate that as well.

redst3
07-23-2008, 07:49 PM
He should mumble out platitudes and say things like:

"It all goes back to the premise of your question" and "I think I have already answered that. "

Or he could pull a Bob Dylan and answer everything with a question.

I kind of like his honesty though.

Steelman16
07-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Tomlin has not ceased to amaze me since we first heard of the guy. He's kinda got an Obama silver tongue with the press. :chuckle:

I'm very, very happy to see that Tomlin looks to have learned his lesson from last year in regards to pushin' in TC. Nothing wrong with fierce competition, but you're dealing with human bodies not machines. Football players take a pounding over three months, no need to make it harder.

Can't wait to see our boys in action soon! :tt02:

redst3
07-23-2008, 09:27 PM
I totally agree that the camp took too much out of the team and that was evident late in the year. Live and learn. i think he will be a better coach. I hope so at least!!

...not that he did a bad job last year.....

Preacher
07-23-2008, 09:28 PM
I totally agree that the camp took too much out of the team and that was evident late in the year. Live and learn. i think he will be a better coach. I hope so at least!!

The camp did it some... but having the players in pads all the time did it as well.

Hopefully he learned from that too.

Galax Steeler
07-24-2008, 04:35 AM
I think last year was a learning curve for tomlin he learned alot last year and should be much better this year.

redst3
07-24-2008, 06:16 AM
Hopefully you are right. He seems to be an intelligent guy and the 1st year of anything is a time for learning, etc....

tony hipchest
07-25-2008, 12:35 AM
by far the worst headline ive ever seen from PPG. if ever there was a case of a fishwrap taking something more out of context to sell a "story" this is it-

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08206/899124-66.stm
Tomlin: Off-field turmoil may hurt Steelers

im not one to bash the media (local, national, friend, or foe) but this has to be the dumbest, most sensasionalistic headline ive ever seen from PPG. i certainly hope it wasnt ed b.'s idea as ive always though he was much more credible and reputable than this.

ed pretty much takes the same "story" from the one linked in the OP and a fancy headline is slapped on it.

anyways, tomlin doesnt feel the team will be "hurt".

Mr. Tomlin did say that a "good" team won't let ownership issues or other off-field subjects become distractions.

"One of the things I focused on throughout some of these questions along those lines,'' Mr. Tomlin said, "are the words of Dan Rooney and Art Rooney, the words they gave to our fans, that the excitement and expectations for this season will not change. I have a great deal of trust and belief in those two men, so that's the approach I'm taking, that's the approach that this football team will take. That is our focus at this point, readying ourselves to fight the battles that await us to be the very best that we can be and to compete for a Lombardi [Trophy] here in '08."

again, i certainly hope this dumbassed headline isnt eds doing, because a responsible writer who actually knew the players and their relationship with the owners would've written:

Supposed "turmoil" will GALVINIZE the Steelers

redst3
07-25-2008, 06:14 AM
again, i certainly hope this dumbassed headline isnt eds doing, because a responsible writer who actually knew the players and their relationship with the owners would've written:

I dont know a lot about the newspaper industry but I do recall from ages ago hearing that they have seperate headline writers for article. I guess thats still true. :noidea:

You are right though it is sensationalism...

DACEB
07-25-2008, 07:08 AM

Com'on Tony, that would only entice Steeler fans not a national audience. Ed knows better than that.

Ed got some face time on ESPN when he broke the story on 'Ben wanting a tall WR' so maybe he wants to show off his tan to a national audience.

NV STEELERS 723
07-25-2008, 10:49 PM
Tomlin's press conference was fine IMO... he knows the press will ask questions to himself and his players ....even though neither have the answers...But the press will continue to ask stupid questions about ownership, because for so long in the STEELERS organization ; there never has been any!

Atlanta Dan
07-26-2008, 10:08 AM
P-G has a funny post on Tomlin's ability to turn a phrase

Our Tomlin phrase-of-the-week goes to his description of his personal outlook on life via the prism of Anthony Smith's loud mouth, "Hopefully his rear-view mirror is smaller than his windshield. I know mine is." All kidding aside, that's actually some pretty good wisdom. We like that one.

And finally, the moment you've been waiting for: THE "MEN" COUNT ... drumroll ... In his first official press conference of the 2008 season, Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin registers an ... ELEVEN! Eleven uses of the word "men" to describe his team (or "man" to describe a player). This is a torrid pace that Tomlin cannot be expected to keep up throughout the season. Stay tuned ...

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/blogngold/

rbryan
07-26-2008, 10:29 AM
sweet. i love tomlins pressers. thanks dan.

the roster limit is really affecting all the teams in camp. there will probably be an increase next season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=E878EC0771DC35C38EAF52163125E2FB? id=09000d5d8095a544&template=with-video&confirm=true

there have already been alot of players put on the PUP list and pre season games are being predicted to be especially boring this year.

good to see tomlin is a quick learn and not stuck in his old ways. seems a little more flexible than cowher. hopefully the team responds. as professional as the players are, im sure they will.

:tt02: im psyched. football season really starts for me with the pre camp press conference.

I wondered what Billygoat was up to when he put half the team on the PUP list in Patsieville. I guess this explains it. Anything to get an advantage. Keep it up Billy, your a real class act.

fansince'76
07-26-2008, 10:48 AM
I wondered what Billygoat was up to when he put half the team on the PUP list in Patsieville. I guess this explains it. Anything to get an advantage. Keep it up Billy, your a real class act.

If there's a way to cheat, I'm sure he'll find it. With Nixon's, err, Goodell's blessing, of course. :coffee:

missedgehead
07-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Well, Dale Lolley (reporter for Observer-Reporter.com) on his blog said this about Tomlin yesterday about his presser:

"Now, I like Mike, but he sounded a lot like a guy trying to convince himself that things aren't all that bad."

He was referring to Tomlin's discussing the issues at Defensive line, etc.

Anyway, Lolley's assessment of Tomlin is basically how I feel about Coach Tomlin. Don't get me wrong, I like Coach, but when I hear his pressers, he does come across as a guy who makes things sound like they aren't as bad as they may be. He reminds me a lot of his mentor, Tony Dungy. Tomlin is a very nice guy and I do feel he is going to be a good coach. He is a player's coach. Nothing wrong with it. I prefer, sorry, the task masters like Tom Coughlin, Parcells, Bellichick.

I mean, look at the two teams who made it to the Super Bowl. Both are coached by two taskmasters. Wade Philips of the Cowboys is a "nice guy", players coach. He was out golfing or whatever, same with Dungy of the Colts, Tomlin, and Norv Turner were watching the Game while the two taskmasters , Coughlin and Bellichick who will YELL AT YOU if you screw up, were going at it in Arizona. JMO Say what you all want about Coach Bellichick....the guy can coach.

fansince'76
07-26-2008, 11:06 PM
I mean, look at the two teams who made it to the Super Bowl. Both are coached by two taskmasters.

Yup, never mind that one of those "taskmasters" (Coughlin) was one more near-player mutiny (http://openmike.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2007/08/14/316011.aspx) away from finding himself on the unemployment line before his team caught lightning in a bottle this past postseason. In fact, I've seen a lot of pundits give Coughlin credit for easing up a lot this past season (http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story;jsessionid=DFDD3CE11D457F2955C696DE7A0CFF59? id=09000d5d8063db49&template=with-video&confirm=true) (and being much less of a "taskmaster") and allowing his players to (gasp!) actually have fun playing the game. And I guess the Super Bowl the Colts won the year before with "nice guy" Dungy was just an aberration as well. I don't think Bill Walsh or Joe Gibbs (6 SB wins between them) were much for yelling at people to get their points across either. There's something to be said for both styles of coaching.

Steelman16
07-27-2008, 01:39 AM
Yeah, any coach can look like an absolute genius if he has a mountain of tapes of opposing teams' signal calls. :coffee:

As '76 said...Coughlin was given an a firm mandate by the Giants owners; change, or lose your job. So, he changed. And look what happened.

Tomlin is no "nice guy". Just because he doesn't spit and scream in your face doesn't mean he's not tough. On the contrary, I tend to think that Tomlin in his own even-keel manner, has made it very clear to his personnel that he'll tolerate nothing short of 100%.

Last year he was a rookie coach trying not to make mistakes or come in looking like a wild volcano. This year he'll have lost all of that and be all-business (which, I must add, he always is anyway). I'll even bet we'll see a bit of fire this year ala Cowher-style if we lose some games to poor execution of simple things.

You can have your preference, but I don't understand your bias. Just because you're a taskmaster, doesn't mean you win more games.

xfl2001fan
07-27-2008, 08:25 AM
JMO Say what you all want about Coach Bellichick....the guy can coach.

Opposing Coach: Bill, tell your defense that our next play is going to be a sweep to the right.
Bill: They're running a sweep right

OC: Bill, tell your defense that our next play is going to be Z-out, X-post, Y-slant.
Bill: What, no snap count?
OC: I like to keep it interesting!
Bill: Alright guys, it's a pass play. Z-out, X-post, Y-slant.
*after the play*
Bill: WTH? I thought you said Y-slant
OC: He must have optioned out and ran an out route...

I mean really, it's easy to coach when you know the teams signals. It's almost like being on the sideline (or in the coaches box) with the opposing coaches.