PDA

View Full Version : Bush continues to make himself look like a fool.

Big D
07-23-2008, 04:55 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/07/23/president-bush-economy-has-hangover/

(CNN) — Financial experts have spent months tracing the roots of the housing market implosion that sent the global economy into chaos. President Bush has his own explanation: Wall Street got drunk.

"There's no question about it. Wall Street got drunk," Bush told supporters at a Republican fundraiser in Houston Friday. "It got drunk and now it's got a hangover. The question is, how long will it sober up and not try to do all these fancy financial instruments?"

His comments at the private event were recorded on a cell phone, and posted to the Web Tuesday.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said the president was just relating his views in a slightly more colorful manner. "He has said before that Wall Street was dealing with very complex financial instruments and that the markets didn't fully understand the risks that those instruments posed to the system," she said Wednesday.

"It is certainly a more colorful way of saying what he said before, but he's described it that way before in terms of his observations of what happened to the market.”

In the video, The video shows Bush joking with a friendly crowd and musing about his life when he leaves the White House in January.

"We've got a housing issue," Bush said. "Not in Houston, evidently not in Dallas, because Laura's over there trying to buy a house today."

He also said the housing market seemed to be doing well in Dallas, where his wife had been looking for a new post-presidential home for the couple, despite earlier statements from Bush that the family’s ranch in Crawford, Texas would be their home after leaving the White House.

"I like Crawford, unfortunately after eight years of asking her to sacrifice, I am no longer the decision maker," he said. "I did tell her, 'Honey, we've been on government pay now for 14 years, go slow.'"

Preacher
07-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Funny thing is, that is probably the best explanation yet.

Big D
07-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Funny thing is, that is probably the best explanation yet.

what I really think is if bush is ever sober. My god has this tool done anything good in office? seems to me like all of his policies have failed

Preacher
07-23-2008, 05:14 PM
You can't be serious.

:pity:

Heck, I can find good things that the two worst presidents last century had done....

Sadly, they were both in the 70's, ,which explains a lot about that decade.

are you really blinded by hate that much?

Big D
07-23-2008, 05:39 PM
You can't be serious.

:pity:

Heck, I can find good things that the two worst presidents last century had done....

Sadly, they were both in the 70's, ,which explains a lot about that decade.

are you really blinded by hate that much?

blinded by hate? you have to be freaking kidding me.... Oil is up 6 fold during his presidency, he goes into iraq for his own political gain, his economic policy has crippled this country and forced people out of their homes. Not to mention being labled the worlds biggest polutist. If you need more things he has dropped the ball on let me know

stillers4me
07-23-2008, 06:02 PM
1. I fail to see where GWB raised the price of oil.

2. Just how did going into Iraq benifit him politically? Yeah.....made him real popular.

3. The last I heard, people are losing their homes because they were stupid enough to sign for loans they couldn't afford to pay back. I don't recall seeing GWB forcing anyone to sign for them.

4. Pollution...... Ever heard of China?

You forgot to mention he how caused all those hurricanes. He was nice enough to cancel them last year, though.

I'd suggest avoiding all those left wing websites if I were you. You can get some good bumper sticker slogans there, though.

fansince'76
07-23-2008, 06:05 PM
You forgot to mention he how caused all those hurricanes. He was nice enough to cancel them last year, though.

Top Bush aides preparing the weather machinery that launched Katrina....

http://www.politicsusaweb.com/peabody.jpg

Big D
07-23-2008, 06:11 PM
1. I fail to see where GWB raised the price of oil.

2. Just how did going into Iraq benifit him politically? Yeah.....made him real popular.

3. The last I heard, people are losing their homes because they were stupid enough to sign for loans they couldn't afford to pay back. I don't recall seeing GWB anyone to sign for them.

4. Pollution...... Ever heard of China?

I'd suggest avoiding all those left wing websites if I were you. You can get some goos bumper sticker slogans there, though.
And apparently you are so far on the right you can't see the obvious. Funny how an oil man goes into office and oil goes up 6 fold in 6 years. As far as the forclosure crisis a piss poor economy and job loss didnt help. Bush put us in iraq for his own personel vendetta and he would have never got elected for a second term if it wasn't for the iraq war.

stillers4me
07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
And apparently you are so far on the right you can't see the obvious. Funny how an oil man goes into office and oil goes up 6 fold in 6 years. As far as the forclosure crisis a piss poor economy and job loss didnt help. Bush put us in iraq for his own personel vendetta and he would have never got elected for a second term if it wasn't for the iraq war.

And you are abviously so far left that actual facts don't mean a thing.

Big D
07-23-2008, 06:15 PM
And you are abviously so far left that actual facts don't mean a thing.

and what are those facts.

Preacher
07-23-2008, 06:19 PM
blinded by hate? you have to be freaking kidding me.... Oil is up 6 fold during his presidency, he goes into iraq for his own political gain, his economic policy has crippled this country and forced people out of their homes. Not to mention being labled the worlds biggest polutist. If you need more things he has dropped the ball on let me know

You don't get it both ways.

Originally, this was BUsh's war FOR oil. Now that oil is up 6 fold, that war wasn't for oil, it was for political gain.... but that doesn't make sense either, does it? WHat did he gain? Nothing. May it be that he was acting in good faith, thinking that Iraq was the prime destabilizer of the mid-east? Naaa, can't be that. There wouldn't be any invective to be had there, would there be?

His economic policy has crippled this country? really? Seems to me that we were in a recession when he came into office (Not clinton's fault either, just the NATURAL cycle of economics). His policies brought us through that and three MAJOR unnatural downward pushes on the cycle. Fact is, we are sitting within a point or so of total employment. What you are seeing is a vast MARKET CORRECTION. One that has been coming since the dot-com boom. Housing prices rocketed during that time, and have continued the climb until now. It was lenders that caused the problems.... NOT Bush... or do you thing that HE approves every loan? Is Bush the underwriter for every bank? Really?

Oh yeah... and Enron, Tyco, etc. etc. all happened BEFORE Bush was president. It was BUSH's Justice department that prosecuted the case.... and caused some economic problems as well. I guess those are the "BAD" things he did. Right?

Being "labeled" the world's biggest polluter is like being "labeled" a dirty player. It has no tie to reality. It is a label. Personally, I find it hilarious. Kyoto was a joke. It was a smack at America. He was RIGHT for not signing it. Period.

BTW... Libya gave up WMD's SPECIFICALLY because of Bush's policy. N. Korea finally came to the table SPECIFICALLY under the constraints set up by President Bush (multinational talks... so much for the "go it alone" attitude).

There are a list of things I am very unhappy with as well. But I tire of the idiocy being employed about this president, and the blind Lemming-like stroll that many are taking on the "hate bush" march.

Preacher
07-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Top Bush aides preparing the weather machinery that launched Katrina....

http://www.politicsusaweb.com/peabody.jpg

:rofl:

That is a GREAT post.

Bush hates black people

Nevermind that he had more minorities in the highest offices than any president before him, including Condi and Powell-- Nat. Sec. advisor and Sec. State, two of the what... 4 or 5 people who have direct access to the white house at ALL TIMES.

What a joke.

stillers4me
07-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Bravo, Preacher!

Gotta love it, don't let a few facts get in the way of a good bumper sticker slogan.

TroysBadDawg
07-23-2008, 07:58 PM

The Clinton White house said Sadam should be removed and that he had WMD. Madlin Albright said it, Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy said it. Now all of a sudden it is Bush's bad. The Democrats have this wonderful way of blaiming others for what they do or start. Then the Gullible public believes it because the press keeps pushing it.

Have you ever heard the quote from Adolph Hitler "Tell a lie often enough, loud enough, and long enough, and people will believe you." See it works for the Democrats quite well.

IF Bush wanted to he could have secreted into Iraq WMD and then we could have found them. But no he told the world there were none at the time. But WAIT what about the Yellow cake they found? do you know what that is?

Yellowcake, a mixture of different uranium oxides and other uranium compounds, is the leachant obtained from uranium ore in the early stages of refinement. At this stage the natural isotopes of uranium are present in their natural ratios. After refinement, further processing, isotopic separation is needed to make depleted uranium or enriched uranium for use in a nuclear reactor or a nuclear weapon.

link for yellow cake process (http://www.chemcases.com/nuclear/nc-06.htm)

Article link (http://pawatercooler.com/?p=4546)
The last major remnant of Saddam Hussein’s nuclear program — a huge stockpile of concentrated natural uranium — reached a Canadian port Saturday to complete a secret U.S. operation that included a two-week airlift from Baghdad and a ship voyage crossing two oceans.

The removal of 550 metric tons of “yellowcake” — the seed material for higher-grade nuclear enrichment — was a significant step toward closing the books on Saddam’s nuclear legacy. It also brought relief to U.S. and Iraqi authorities who had worried the cache would reach insurgents or smugglers crossing to Iran to aid its nuclear ambitions.

Preacher
07-23-2008, 08:13 PM
The Clinton White house said Sadam should be removed and that he had WMD. Madlin Albright said it, Hillary Clinton, Ted Kennedy said it. Now all of a sudden it is Bush's bad. The Democrats have this wonderful way of blaiming others for what they do or start. Then the Gullible public believes it because the press keeps pushing it.

Have you ever heard the quote from Adolph Hitler "Tell a lie often enough, loud enough, and long enough, and people will believe you." See it works for the Democrats quite well.

IF Bush wanted to he could have secreted into Iraq WMD and then we could have found them. But no he told the world there were none at the time. But WAIT what about the Yellow cake they found? do you know what that is?link for yellow cake process (http://www.chemcases.com/nuclear/nc-06.htm)

I guess that was the stuff that was supposed to be brought to the inspectors...

But why would anyone want to make Devil's food cake?

:chuckle:

stillers4me
07-23-2008, 08:19 PM
It's a good thing we have all that Iraqi oil now......:doh:

Preacher
07-23-2008, 08:59 PM
It's a good thing we have all that Iraqi oil now......:doh:

:chuckle:

Anyone wonder if part of the reason we are so hated... is because we screwed up so many backdoor deals with Saddam and the Oil for food scandals??

HometownGal
07-23-2008, 10:33 PM
what I really think is if bush is ever sober. My god has this tool done anything good in office? seems to me like all of his policies have failed

Our country and its people, including you and your family, have remained safe from terrorism. That to me is Bush's greatest accomplishment and one that is of the utmost importance to me. If we had been attacked again after 911, chances are we'd all be pushing up daisies and his "failing policies" really wouldn't have mattered much would they? :doh:

Since you feel he hasn't done anything "good while in office", you really should send your stimulus check back or better yet - forward it to me. God forbid you accept anything from such a tool. :flap:

Hammer Of The GODS
07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Gotta love all the Bush bashing! People in this country would do themselves a favor by realizing that there will never be a perfect president!
YOU JUST CAN'T PLEASE EVERYBODY!
Bush's biggest mistake............... becoming president after douchebag clinton was president. WHY? Because all the naive people who believe he was a great president were in love with the money they had in thier pockets while he was in. The internet revolution exploded onto the scene while he was in. The economy was great during the upsurge.
Bush may be a putz in front of the camera, but I think he has had the hardest presidency going back to Lincoln! The man is underappreciated!

That said........ I still have nothing but contempt for ploiticians! :mad:

Atlanta Dan
07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Props to White House/GOP security for being unable to keep a fairly clear video of Bush's remarks from hitting YouTube after Bush orders cameras off so nothing makes it on to YouTube:sofunny:

That's the competence and attention to detail that is the hallmark of this Administration

FWIW I agree that "Wall Street got drunk" is a pretty accurate and clever metaphor for what has happened

stillers4me
07-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Where'd he go?

TroysBadDawg
07-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Props to White House/GOP security for being unable to keep a fairly clear video of Bush's remarks from hitting YouTube after Bush orders cameras off so nothing makes it on to YouTube:sofunny:

That's the competence and attention to detail that is the hallmark of this Administration

FWIW I agree that "Wall Street got drunk" is a pretty accurate and clever metaphor for what has happened

SO you now want Presidential censorship, Good idea. Maybe we can also shut off all Iraq news until the military clears it. Maybe we can shut down the New York Times and their constant Bush bashing along with hundreds of other media outlets. You know I like the idea.

GBMelBlount
07-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks Big D! You're a a perfect example of why I believe Obama has an excellent shot to win in November.....

Atlanta Dan
07-24-2008, 08:47 AM
SO you now want Presidential censorship, Good idea. .

Thanks for another incisive post

I do not want censorship and nothing in my post indicated that I do (not that I expect you to let the facts get in the way of any observations you want to make, given your gullibility on such matters as "Obama was sworn in with a Koran":chuckle:)

Bush wanted censorship (watch the video) - his staff could not even carrry out that simple request.

I certainly am not surprised you do want censorship:banging:

revefsreleets
07-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Actually, Bush has done a couple really smart things just recently. He opened direct talks with Iran, which shows a willingness to use diplomacy instead of bombs, and he has cleared the way for troop withdrawals (although Obama's timelines aren't realistic...it'll take at least two more years after the next President is sitting, probably more like 3).

Godfather
07-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Bush may be a putz in front of the camera, but I think he has had the hardest presidency going back to Lincoln! [/SIZE]

Harder than FDR? Harder than Reagan?

Godfather
07-24-2008, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=TroysBadDawg;415408But WAIT what about the Yellow cake they found? do you know what that is?
[/QUOTE]

That's the stuff they had in the CIA napkin.

"Don't drop that %^&...."

revefsreleets
07-24-2008, 09:36 AM
You know, that may be the case (Reagan) but not FDR. He inherited a tanking economy, which drove down the dollar, which is causing oil prices to rise, and then there was the whole 9/11 thing. This is definitely a VERY difficult time to be president.

Godfather
07-24-2008, 09:38 AM
You know, that may be the case (Reagan) but not FDR. He inherited a tanking economy, which drove down the dollar, which is causing oil prices to rise, and then there was the whole 9/11 thing. This is definitely a VERY difficult time to be president.

Even with the problems we have now, the economy is infinitely better than the one FDR inherited, and Germany and Japan were a lot stronger than the Islamofascists ever were.

revefsreleets
07-24-2008, 09:54 AM
I agree. I'm saying FDR had the toughest run since Lincoln, but Bush has it tougher than Regan.

HometownGal
07-24-2008, 10:01 AM
I agree. I'm saying FDR had the toughest run since Lincoln, but Bush has it tougher than Regan.

You Bush apologist you! :chuckle::wink02:

Seriously, though, I agree. Bush was in office only a short time when the terrorists attacked us - that is a President's worst nightmare. He unified a country during the worst possible scenario. I haven't agreed with everything the man has done but overall, I can't bash him. We've had worse Presidents during my lifetime, imho.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-24-2008, 12:01 PM
Harder than FDR? Harder than Reagan?

Even with the problems we have now, the economy is infinitely better than the one FDR inherited, and Germany and Japan were a lot stronger than the Islamofascists ever were.

With all do respect. I'll take a tough economy over the threat of a DIRTY BOMB anyday!

Definately tougher than Reagan (although Bush hasn't taken a bullet).

Your arguement about FDR is valid. But I submit to you the simple yet powerful and dangerous term..... PLOITICAL CORRECTNESS! America took one on the chin in Pearl Harbor but FDR was free to kick them in the balls!
Do you think the people of this country would sit back and let GW drop a bomb over there and turn that sandbox into a sheet of glass? People want to win the war on terror by fighting bombs and bullets with protest signs and OPEN borders!

Bush has his hands tied just like the soldiers fighting this war. It's bullshit and mark my words....

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WILL BE THE DOWNFALL OF THIS COUNTRY!

revefsreleets
07-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Collateral damage was not a concern until Vietnam. We have always had a different type of military doctrine as far as human worth vs. technology, and it puts us at a disadvantage when we fight terrorists or an army (like China) who basically uses the strategy of hurling superior numbers into the fray.

But that's the way it is now. Any war we fight is going to based on popular opinion, and blowing up little kids and old ladies makes for very bad PR back home.

stlrtruck
07-24-2008, 01:17 PM
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS WILL BE THE DOWNFALL OF THIS COUNTRY!

Correction! PC is already the downfall of this country!

LambertIsGod58
07-24-2008, 02:11 PM
I started off being a huge Bush supporter. The way he handled 9/11 and all. And I'm sure I'm misplacing blame here. Maybe it's our government as a whole. But how do you explain these huge oil companies posting the PROFITS that they are and nothing is being done? They put on a few 'dog and pony' shows to supposedly put the CEO's of these companies on the hot seat? From the clips I saw these CEO's were very arrogant about the facts of what's going on. When told that they could be paying a windfall tax, the reply was "we'll just have to raise our prices then" to compensate. People are making choices of putting food on the table or gas in the car. I'm fortunate enough that it's not impacted me that way.

Preacher
07-24-2008, 02:25 PM
I started off being a huge Bush supporter. The way he handled 9/11 and all. And I'm sure I'm misplacing blame here. Maybe it's our government as a whole. But how do you explain these huge oil companies posting the PROFITS that they are and nothing is being done? They put on a few 'dog and pony' shows to supposedly put the CEO's of these companies on the hot seat? From the clips I saw these CEO's were very arrogant about the facts of what's going on. When told that they could be paying a windfall tax, the reply was "we'll just have to raise our prices then" to compensate. People are making choices of putting food on the table or gas in the car. I'm fortunate enough that it's not impacted me that way.

Simple. The american market place has determined that gas can be bought at this price. So it is. If enough people got sick of it and stopped driving, the price would come down.

You say that can't happen, because people NEED to drive. I say your right, which is why the markets support the high price of gas. Why blame the companies for doing what they are FOUNDED TO DO.. .make money?

What will bring that down? Competition. But competition has been ran out of business. Not by these other companies, but by the govt. with all their legislation and oversight. There are very few if any independent refineries and gas stations. Which means no local stations to come in and undercut the price by 20 percent.

On top of that, you have speculators creating an oil bubble, you have china, india, and others buying up huge allotments of oil, you have other things happening. It is a perfect storm which created these prices. I find it amazing that people just want to blame the oil company... who for over 2 DECADES sold the gas WAY UNDERVALUED.

Right now, gas should be about 2.60 a gallon.national average. That equates to 68 cents a gallon in the 70's and is concurrent with the rise of wages and other prices. yet, up until 4 years ago, gas was half that. I didn't hear anyone offering the oil companies help then. So why punish them now? They took the market forces on the chin for 20 years, selling gas for HALF price basically.

HometownGal
07-24-2008, 04:00 PM
With all do respect. I'll take a tough economy over the threat of a DIRTY BOMB anyday!

Hell yeah - me too.

I'm tellin ya - I wouldn't want the President's job for all of the egg rolls in China. It's a thankless job and you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. :doh:

HometownGal
07-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Just to take some of the edge off . . . :laughing::laughing::laughing:

http://www.jibjab.com/originals/this_land

Hammer Of The GODS
07-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Just to take some of the edge off . . . :laughing::laughing::laughing:

http://www.jibjab.com/originals/this_land

That was friggin hilarious! :toofunny:

revefsreleets
07-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Simple. The american market place has determined that gas can be bought at this price. So it is. If enough people got sick of it and stopped driving, the price would come down.

You say that can't happen, because people NEED to drive. I say your right, which is why the markets support the high price of gas. Why blame the companies for doing what they are FOUNDED TO DO.. .make money?

What will bring that down? Competition. But competition has been ran out of business. Not by these other companies, but by the govt. with all their legislation and oversight. There are very few if any independent refineries and gas stations. Which means no local stations to come in and undercut the price by 20 percent.

On top of that, you have speculators creating an oil bubble, you have china, india, and others buying up huge allotments of oil, you have other things happening. It is a perfect storm which created these prices. I find it amazing that people just want to blame the oil company... who for over 2 DECADES sold the gas WAY UNDERVALUED.

Right now, gas should be about 2.60 a gallon.national average. That equates to 68 cents a gallon in the 70's and is concurrent with the rise of wages and other prices. yet, up until 4 years ago, gas was half that. I didn't hear anyone offering the oil companies help then. So why punish them now? They took the market forces on the chin for 20 years, selling gas for HALF price basically.

Actually, that's not true. It's not based on supply and demand any more. Americans have already driven something like 20 billion miles LESS this year because of oil prices, but gas prices continue to rise. If it was a simple Adam Smith S/D equation, gas would be at $2.25. Things are infinitely more complex now due to the war and globalism and speculators and emerging markets and...Christ, my head hurts just trying to name all the SIMPLE and BIG variables, not to mention all the tiny ones.

Preacher
07-31-2008, 04:18 PM
Actually, that's not true. It's not based on supply and demand any more. Americans have already driven something like 20 billion miles LESS this year because of oil prices, but gas prices continue to rise. If it was a simple Adam Smith S/D equation, gas would be at $2.25. Things are infinitely more complex now due to the war and globalism and speculators and emerging markets and...Christ, my head hurts just trying to name all the SIMPLE and BIG variables, not to mention all the tiny ones.

I think it still holds true.. though on a more complex scale.

The war has forced some to speculate about supply. Those who speculate buy whats on the market... believing it will still find a demand at a higher price. Throw into that the industrialization of China, India etc. and you have a global run on oil which jacks up demand even more. Thus the supply and demand isn't localized as much as globalized, however it is still the primary driving force.

The wild-card is govt. regulations which for the last 20 years have artificially shortened supply. That was fine up until 5 years ago. Now, the supply cannot be increased by local markets to cover demand caused by the shortfall in globalized oil markets. The result is a windfall for oil companies.

Yet we want to blame them for the prices. Those high oil prices are what is keeping us from a 70's style gas shortage simply becausee we are buying so much less gas. Until some of the supply problems are fixed, prices will still artificially high in the US.

So in short... I still claim it is basic supply and demand problems--they are just working supply and demand at multiple levels...