PDA

View Full Version : Starks Penciled in at RT

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Just saw in an ESPN article about the current ownership state....they seemed to indicate that Starks is penciled in at RT. I guess money does talk huh?

As for the offensive line that will be charged with opening holes for Parker and Mendenhall, Max Starks is penciled in at right tackle, while Sweed's college teammate, fourth-round draft pick Tony Hills, will be given a shot to win the left tackle job, Tomlin said.

Center Sean Mahan will compete with free agent Justin Hartwig in what Tomlin said might be the offensive line's most "hotly contested battle."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3502976

RoethlisBURGHer
07-24-2008, 07:02 PM
It talks, but it's not written is stone. If he fails to play up to the standard that got him the transitiont ag, he will be replaced. But due to the money made, he will be given the chance to be the team's starting RT right off the bat.

slippy
07-24-2008, 07:05 PM
mahan vs. hartwig better NOT be hotly contested.

if it's a coin flip at center then we're in trouble!

Preacher
07-24-2008, 07:19 PM
mahan vs. hartwig better NOT be hotly contested.

if it's a coin flip at center then we're in trouble!

Oh, I don't know.

Everyone has overlooked Mahan's health problems last year, but jumped to Marvel Smith's defense... "he isn't bad, he just had health problems"

I wouldn't be at all shocked if Mahan put up a real good fight.

The Duke
07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
fourth-round draft pick Tony Hills, will be given a shot to win the left tackle job, Tomlin said.

....what??

is that a misprint or what? I would think marvel's got the position secured by now

Preacher
07-24-2008, 07:22 PM
....what??

is that a misprint or what? I would think marvel's got the position secured by now

He'll be gone after this year probably.

revefsreleets
07-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Yeah, stupid Steelers. What are they thinking? Penciling in a guy who played that very position on a SB winning team.

What a bunch of idiots!:chillpill

(Seriously, can we stop second guessing the Steelers FO already? At least until the pads are on?)

Galax Steeler
07-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Hopefully Hartwig will be our center you can call it injurys but I just don't think Mahan was put on this earth to be a center.

DACEB
07-25-2008, 09:30 AM
I just hope to see the lineup of;

LT Smith
LG Kimo
C Hartwig
RG Colon
RT Starks

get some time this pre-season. That's the lineup for me right there.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Yeah, stupid Steelers. What are they thinking? Penciling in a guy who played that very position on a SB winning team.

What a bunch of idiots!:chillpill

(Seriously, can we stop second guessing the Steelers FO already? At least until the pads are on?)

Yeah, but the guy couldnt beat out a 2nd year OG last season to keep the RT spot. I just thought it was interesting that the RT position is supposed to be an open competition, but the article reads like Starks is the starter already. Maybe its the author being creative.

As for playing on a SB winning team, that means nothing. Tim McKyer played on 2 SB winning teams in SF and got burnt so many times that his TD dance should have been the Stop, Drop and Roll.

revefsreleets
07-25-2008, 11:01 AM
But Starks contributed all ye...

You know what? I give. I'm tired of defending the Steelers...it's ridiculous that I even have to do so on a Steelers board. These guys know what they are doing...

rbryan
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
I never figured out why he was replaced by Colon last year. IMO that was a bad move to begin with. Maybe Starks had some sort of a problem with Tomlin?? I expect him to play up to his big contract this year.

Elvis
07-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah, but the guy couldnt beat out a 2nd year OG last season to keep the RT spot. I just thought it was interesting that the RT position is supposed to be an open competition, but the article reads like Starks is the starter already. Maybe its the author being creative.

As for playing on a SB winning team, that means nothing. Tim McKyer played on 2 SB winning teams in SF and got burnt so many times that his TD dance should have been the Stop, Drop and Roll.
Gonzo, Tim McKyer wasnt a starting ROT and he was surrounded by great players on that defense. Just look at Larry Brown of the Cowboys with his 2 ghost INT's in super bowl XXX that O'donnell decided just to throw to him.
I honestly just say again " let the players be named and let them play together and gel with one another instead of changing the lineup every other day"... Just dont understand why I am the only one that thinks this.
:noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2008, 12:31 PM
But Starks contributed all ye...

You know what? I give. I'm tired of defending the Steelers...it's ridiculous that I even have to do so on a Steelers board. These guys know what they are doing...

Sorry fella....I just feel the need to react when you use a blanket statement calling all that question some moves "a bunch of idiots".

I personally am not attacking the Steelers, I thought it was interesting they termed Starks as being "penciled in" at RT when earlier it sounded like it would be an open competition at RT.

They played the Bengals Steelers game on NFL network, from I think 2005 when Houshmanzadeh used the Terrible Towel to polish his shoes and I noticed Starks technique a couple times. His kick slide is clumsy and his punch on pass blocking was not strong. It just reminded me that in that super bowl year he was average or below average in technique and unfortunately he hasnt improved much that I have seen.

It will all play out this season, but I honestly think his $6.9mil price tag will help him get the start at RT.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Gonzo, Tim McKyer wasnt a starting ROT and he was surrounded by great players on that defense. Just look at Larry Brown of the Cowboys with his 2 ghost INT's in super bowl XXX that O'donnell decided just to throw to him.
I honestly just say again " let the players be named and let them play together and gel with one another instead of changing the lineup every other day"... Just dont understand why I am the only one that thinks this.
:noidea:

Exactly my point Elvis. Starks started at ROT on a line that won the super bowl and had Smith, Faneca, Hartings going to the pro bowl, a mobile QB with a new TE to use in the offense and a backfield of Parker and Bettis.

Starks benefitted from the players around him, just like McKyer. He's not as great as many think he is, but we all hope that he somehow becomes the next Jon Ogden. I honestly think the line will be much better than last year if healthy and think Colon sadly is better than Starks.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2008, 12:45 PM
I never figured out why he was replaced by Colon last year. IMO that was a bad move to begin with. Maybe Starks had some sort of a problem with Tomlin?? I expect him to play up to his big contract this year.

Saturday, August 18, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers used the first two preseason games to see if right tackle Max Starks could play well enough at left tackle to serve as a backup for Marvel Smith.

That experiment did not go so well -- Starks allowed three sacks in the first two games at left tackle -

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07230/810434-66.stm

Starks played Matador on pass protection, that's why he lost the job to Colon. Could also argue that Colon donned the red cape to be a Matador as well in the reg season, but Colon moves his feet and is more aggressive than Starks.

slashsteel
07-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Fans keep throwing out that guard label for Colon, but I still see him as being a RT.

1 year and everyone wants to write a guy off. Lets see if he can improve in his 2nd year starting before we label Willie..........

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Fans keep throwing out that guard label for Colon, but I still see him as being a RT.

1 year and everyone wants to write a guy off. Lets see if he can improve in his 2nd year starting before we label Willie..........

I'm with you Slash. I like the way Colon moves his feet and works hard against rushers. I think he has much more upside and should be on the field.

Starks on the other hand I am ready to write off. He is a big man that isnt as dominating as his size should allow and he lacks the punch, aggressiveness and quick feet you would like to see in a OT.

revefsreleets
07-26-2008, 09:06 PM
Can these flaws be coached out of him? Can he change his regiment and improve? This IS the NFL, not HS or even college.

I'm not willing to concede that this kids game is fundamentally flawed, and that he's a bust ESPECIALLY right after one of the most prudent and historically wise franchises just spent a TON of money on him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Can these flaws be coached out of him? Can he change his regiment and improve? This IS the NFL, not HS or even college.

I'm not willing to concede that this kids game is fundamentally flawed, and that he's a bust ESPECIALLY right after one of the most prudent and historically wise franchises just spent a TON of money on him.

I never say never, but you are right that this IS the NFL and that is why I think its time to move on with Starks and let somebody else try to get it out of him.

I saw old film of Dan Reeves talking about aggression and he said "If they dont bite when they are puppies, then they ususally dont bite when they are dogs".

Thats the problem with Starks, look at his scouting report coming out of Florida 4 seasons ago...massive guy, with agility but doesnt seem as interested or agressive in his blocking. Max could be a really technically sound blocker, which he has improved in, but he lacks the "motor" that many talk of.

Colon on the other hand does not have the physical size and attributes, but if a speed rusher gets a step on him, he works his but off to keep him from getting the corner, while Starks concedes defeat. Colon also seems to get in fights each training camp, while Starks is naturally a laid back guy. As I posted recently, I take effort over talent any day.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-27-2008, 10:17 AM
This year is the changing of the guards for the entire offensive line.........I think smith may lose his starting job if hills proves he can play.........
Imagine this....

Hills, Kemo, Hartwig, Colon, Starks

All new......begin a new era of the line.......
The only thing i would like to change is put stapleton at center????
Then we would truely have a nice young offensive line.
The only question is....Would we still have BEN?

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-27-2008, 06:32 PM
This year is the changing of the guards for the entire offensive line.........I think smith may lose his starting job if hills proves he can play.........
Imagine this....

Hills, Kemo, Hartwig, Colon, Starks

Sorry, but NEVER gonna happen unless Starks and Smith get hurt. If Smith loses his job, its not to a 5th round pick coming off an injury that doesnt use his hands well.

It will be Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Simmons, Colon. That's the $7mil insurance policy in action.