PDA

View Full Version : Check this out! A-11 Offense

revefsreleets
07-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Meaning all 11 eligible. A HS coach devised it. I stuck it here because if they do it in HS, the NFL is next. Make sure to watch the video. They have 2 QB's on offense. Weird but sweet!

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=825031

RoethlisBURGHer
07-24-2008, 09:18 PM
That's pretty cool.

9-5
07-25-2008, 01:03 AM
wow, that is unbelievable!!

Steelman16
07-25-2008, 02:18 AM
Excuse my formation ignorance, but don't you have to have a certain number of linemen? (i.e., non-eligible recievers?)

It's a pretty interesting formation though. I'd like to see the opposing defensive coordinator solve that one.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-25-2008, 03:15 AM
Thought the Satriani music was good.

Personally I don't want to see that stuff in the NFL. If I want to see that kinda crap I'll go to an arena football game.

I like the game that goes on in the trenches. The balls snaps and pads and helmets collide in an instant! Thats football! That a-11 junk is sandlot kidsplay to me.
Thats just my 2 cents!

Galax Steeler
07-25-2008, 04:56 AM
It was really hard to keep up with which one had the ball that was confussion I could imagine what the deffenses were going through.

redst3
07-25-2008, 06:20 AM
WTF ("Where's the Football?)

I saw it but I donít like it.
Chuck Noll wouldnít like it.
Chuck Knox wouldn't like.
Chuck Bednarik wouldn't like it.

The football Gods donít take kindly to teams that just pass all the time. Two QBs? Everyone eligible? WTF ("Where's the Football?)

It just aint right!:banging:

xfl2001fan
07-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Excuse my formation ignorance, but don't you have to have a certain number of linemen? (i.e., non-eligible recievers?)

It's a pretty interesting formation though. I'd like to see the opposing defensive coordinator solve that one.

There are rules in place about having only 5 eligible recievers on a given play. However, there are no rules that say where you have to line your lineman up. They don't all have to line up right next to the Center (as is tradition.) You can (literally) have a center on the right hashmark, a QB behind him and the other 9 guys spread out to the far left.

These coaches basically found a loophole in the system and have used it to their advantage. If the defense crowds the line, then you don't have enough defenders to the outside and you run quick screens all day long.

I can already see a lot of versatility in this offense. And I've looked at it for about 3 minutes. I can't wait to get home and watch the video of this offense.

stlrtruck
07-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Thought the Satriani music was good.

Personally I don't want to see that stuff in the NFL. If I want to see that kinda crap I'll go to an arena football game.

I like the game that goes on in the trenches. The balls snaps and pads and helmets collide in an instant! Thats football! That a-11 junk is sandlot kidsplay to me.
Thats just my 2 cents!

Nothing like teaching kids new school football and old school music!!!

But I do believe that the NFL has a rule on the number of players that must be on the LOS and are not eligible. Doubtful you'll see this in the NFL anytime soon.

By rule, the QB can not throw the ball to a down lineman or it's intentional grounding or illegal touching at the least.

millwalldavey
07-25-2008, 09:36 AM
You still have to have the usual number of players on the line... you just never know who is eligible on each play which can make things confusing for the opposing defense.

HughC
07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
The NFL has some additional rules that high school football does not have. Both have only five players eligible receivers, but in the NFL you know exectly who they are. It's part of the numbering scheme on player's jerseys. If a tackle or linebacker wants to come in and is going to line up in the backfield or as a receiver, he has to report to the referee and then the ref announces it. If he doesn't, the offense gets penalized for illegal formation. That would take away the "surprise" element of the A-11 offense because the defense should know exactly who can go downfield and who can't. In addition, when the A-11 splits lineman wide that leaves an opportunity for a linebacker to blitz the QB untouched. No NFL team is going to risk losing their QB with such a scheme. The A-11 is fine for high school football where there is not as much of a difference in the size of players as there is in the NFL, but I can't see it ever being used beyond the high school level.

Dino 6 Rings
07-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Run a 3-2-6 Defense and shut this nonsense down.

Nuff Said.

xfl2001fan
07-25-2008, 12:23 PM
In HS, that defense is harder to implement successfully because most HS teams don't run a 3-4, let alone something like a 3-2-6 on a consistent basis.

The speed of NFL defenders is what makes this so much more difficult to run in the NFL. Even if the college rules allowed this alignment (which it doesn't) it would be difficult to run because they also play faster than your standard HS team does.

From a HS (possibly JH) perspective, this would be a pretty good gimmick offense to run. However, you would best be served running something like this with an athletic QB as opposed to your typical pocket passer. I don't think I would risk it without the athletic signal caller(s).

Dino 6 Rings
07-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Its an offense designed to hide the fact you have less talent than the other team. When it gets to brass knuckles playoffs and what not, I see other teams being good enough, even at the highschool level, to figure out and out play this scheme. But it'll be interesting to see if it develops.

xfl2001fan
07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Like other gimmick offenses, it will gain some popularity, but will eventually lose out to only a small percentage of teams using this on a regular basis.

Their regular season record last season was 7-3 and the finished at 7-4 (playoff loss.) So they began and ended their season on two-game losing streaks.

I'll be interested to see how this school does with it over the next few years (now that their players have a full year under their belt with it.) It has potential.

As you said though, it's design is to hide a lack of talent, which means you likely need to find a gimmick defense to hide deficiencies there too.

klick81
07-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Gimmick is a good way to describe it. I don't like it AT ALL.

MasterOfPuppets
07-28-2008, 08:09 PM
Yes, per the rules of the game, only five players are eligible to catch a pass during a particular play and seven players have to set up on the line of scrimmage. But in the minds of Bryan and Humphries, you can develop an infinite number of plays with an infinite number of formations.

Talk about confusing a defense.

"It presents a different set of challenges for defenses because they have to account for which guys go out or might go out," Bryan said. "Those guys who are ineligible to go down the field and catch a pass, they can take a reverse pitch or a negative screen or a hitch behind the line of scrimmage. :coffee:

Preacher
07-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Interesting...

Problem is... NFL is too fast for that kind of package... QB is wide open for blitzes.

I think the Dick Lebeau Zone blitz scheme would blow that offense up.