PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Waive Kenny Irons

CantStop85
07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Bengals waive Irons
By GEOFF HOBSON
July 25, 2008

Posted: 10:45 a.m.
The Bengals waived second-rounder Kenny Irons on Friday after he failed their physical, indicating just how difficult his rehab from reconstructive knee surgery has been.

His future with the club and in the NFL remains murky. The Bengals needed Irons' spot to get to the 80-man limit for training camp and they now have 80 players listed on their roster including unsigned draft picks.

In the past, when injured players have cleared waivers, the Bengals have re-signed them but have had to put them on a season-ending reserve list.

Irons, out of Auburn, looked to be the answer to the Bengals' speed back problem during an exciting training camp highlighted by 65 yards on 10 carries in the intrasquad scrimmage. But six days later he tore his ACL on his fourth carry of his career in the Aug. 9 preseason opener in Detroit.

Irons told Bengals.com last week he had some setbacks because of scar tissue, but said the knee had felt better in the last month. Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery back in August in Birmingham, Ala.

Irons' dad: 'Kenny will be back'
Friday, July 25, 2008, 12:18 PM EST [Bengals]

David Irons, Sr., has two sons in the NFL and knows a bit about the business of the league.

Although he found out about his younger son being waived by the Bengals from a reporter's phone call, he's far from surprised or upset by the move.

"Kennyís going to be fine," David Irons said on Friday. "Itís a minor set-back, it has to be done for the team. For roster and salary cap purposes."

David Irons said he expects his son to clear waivers and then be put on the Bengals' reserve list, which would end his season.

"I've had the surgery and my other son, David Jr., had that surgery and it wasn't until his senior year at Auburn that he was back to where he was (two years after the initial injury)," David Irons, Sr., said. "Now he's doing fine and is in his second year with the Falcons."

David Irons, Sr., said he also had the surgery, so Kenny knows exactly what to expect. Irons was one of only two Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis identified on Tuesday as having injuries that would keep them out of practice in training camp beginning on Monday. The other was running back DeDe Dorsey.

As for Kenny, his father said he is upbeat and ready to continue his rehab.

"Our expectations are him to be back with the Bengals and in the Pro Bowl in two years," David Irons, Sr., said.

Very surprising move for the Bengals community. It appears as though the team wants to resign and put him on IR...I just hope he clears waivers.

tony hipchest
07-25-2008, 12:15 PM
sounds like that knee problem runs in the family. poor bungles. even when they do draft right and get a good character guy, they have season/carreer ending injuries.

xfl2001fan
07-25-2008, 12:20 PM
They either draft broken bodies or broken character.

revefsreleets
07-25-2008, 04:50 PM
...good...B&G....vet minimum...bleep blop bloop

Steelman16
07-26-2008, 12:19 AM
That's disappointing, I've always liked the Irons' brothers. Good folks, now if they could just keep them knees in place...

Preacher
07-26-2008, 01:57 AM
Its always sad to see someone have an injury like that, especially when they are at the very beginning of their career.... literally in this case.

I hope he rehabs and is able to play.

Galax Steeler
07-28-2008, 04:15 AM
Irons is a good player hopefully he will be able to play for another team he is young and full of talent and still has some good years ahead of him.

CantStop85
07-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Update: Irons back
By GEOFF HOBSON
July 28, 2008
ShareThis

7:40 p.m.
GEORGETOWN, Ky. _ Running back Kenny Irons cleared waivers Monday and is now on the Bengals' season-ending injured reserve list for the second time in his two-year career.

One bright spot for Irons.

Head coach Marvin Lewis said he's about where Chris Perry was last year, and Perry looked like the old Perry Monday morning. He did what he was doing in the spring, sticking his injured ankle in the ground and getting upfield.

Irons has had to battle scar tissue since his reconstructive knee surgery last August stemming from an ACL injury in his NFL debut in the preseason opener.

It's a good thing Chris Perry is healthy (knock on wood) this season...otherwise we'd be screwed.

tony hipchest
07-28-2008, 11:48 PM
s. alexander is still the ace in the hole.

any intelligent bunglefan (perhaps thats just you 85) would consider that an upgrade over irons or perry.

CantStop85
07-29-2008, 10:37 AM
s. alexander is still the ace in the hole.

any intelligent bunglefan (perhaps thats just you 85) would consider that an upgrade over irons or perry.

Unless Rudi gets hurt I don't want to see anything about Shaun Alexander. I actually think Chris Perry will do very well this season and if he stays healthy, I could see him taking the majority of the carries at some point in the season. Really, he's a better fit for the Bengals offense than Rudi...he's fast, shifty, and he's actually a receiving threat out of the backfield...not to mention he can break a run longer than 15 yards every once in a while. :chuckle: