PDA

View Full Version : Houston Texans

Dino 6 Rings
07-25-2008, 03:45 PM
So I've been browsing the Texans news sights and football talk looking for information on our enemy.

Found this very interesting.

http://blogs.chron.com/stevecampbell/2008/07/the_texans_season_how_its_goin.html

July 12, 2008
Game-by-game prediction for the Texans season
Texans training camp begins in less than two weeks. This a wonderful development for all of us who are having a harder and harder time bearing the sight of the Astros.
The real beauty of it is, the Texans are the ones who have to do all the dirty work all the blocking, tackling, sweating and rehab. The rest of us can sit back in air-conditioned comfort, if we wish, in eager anticipation of another season.

Is this the season the Texans finally become a winning team? Could this, pray tell, be the year the Texans actually get into the playoffs. Will the Texans be healthy enough, for a welcome change, to show just how good they can be? Can they weather an early-season schedule that's tougher than prison meat?

Until further notice or injuries to Andre Johnson or Matt Schaub of Mario Williams or Amobi Okoye, here's how I see the 2008 season unfolding for the Texans:

Sept. 7 at Pittsburgh The Steelers haven't lost a season opener since 2002, when they were facing defending Super Bowl champion New England. We've seen the Texans, and they're not the Patriots. The Texans fall to 0-1.

Sept. 14 vs. Baltimore Brian Billick is out as the Ravens coach, and the quarterback situation is a perpetual mess, and this should be a home-opening victory on a silver platter. The Texans win to go 1-1.

Sept. 21 at Tennessee The early-season schedule looks brutal for the Texans, who are going to get buried in the standings early if they don't figure out a way to win a game they shouldn't. This is the one, putting the Texans at 2-1. Vince Young undoubtedly will be valiant and heroic, though, so all of Houston wins.

Sept. 28 at Jacksonville The Texans like to think they kind of have the Jaguars' number. The Jaguars want to perish that thought, and they do, dropping the Texans to 2-2.

Oct. 5 vs. Indianapolis The Texans are good enough to play the Colts tough. The Texans aren't good enough to win when the Colts are at full attention, which they will be this early in the season. The Texans fall to 2-3.

Oct. 12 vs. Miami Just about every team has that one game that it absolutely, positively, should not lose and loses anyway. This isn't that game, though it just may be tougher than Texans fans might expect. The Texans improve to 3-3.

Oct. 19 vs. Detroit Two words: Matt Millen. A Matt Millen-built team has about as much NFL cred as a Michael Bolton-sung song. The Texans are 4-3 and heading into their bye week.

Nov. 2 at Minnesota Last season, the Texans used the bye week well, defeating New Orleans, 23-10, and starting a four-game home winning streak. The Texans will be on the road this time, and it will be their undoing. The Texans fall to 4-4.

Nov. 9 vs. Cincinnati Make-or-break week for the Texans. If they win this one, they have a chance to get into the playoff picture. If they lose, coach Gary Kubiak will have quite a challenge keeping the team together down the stretch. Hope lives a little longer: The Texans win to get to 5-4.

Nov. 16 at Indianapolis The Texans aren't quite ready to win a big game on the road against the ilk of the Colts. Few teams are. The Texans fall to 5-5.

Nov. 23 at Cleveland When the Texans ventured to Cleveland last season, the Browns were simply too much. With a game against the Colts looming the next week, the Browns neglect to properly focus on the task at hand. The Texans steal an unexpected victory to get to 6-5.

Dec. 1 vs. Jacksonville Reliant Stadium will be hopping like at no time in franchise history with the Texans playing their first Monday night game. The Texans feed off their fans to pull out a victory against a tough Jaguars team to get to 7-5.

Dec. 7 at Green Bay Pffft. After two emotional and draining victories, the Texans come up flat on the road and fall to 7-6.

Dec. 14 vs. Tennessee It's time for the playoff push. Three victories to close the season, and the Texans are almost certainly in the post season. One down, two to go, putting the Texans at 8-6.

Dec. 21 at Oakland Remember that dreaded game that you absolutely, positively, cannot see your team losing and then it does? This is the one for the Texans. They have one of those inexplicable days and go home to a miserable Christmas with an 8-7 record.

Dec. 28 vs. Chicago The Texans regroup to win their season finale and get to 9-7. Is that good enough to get them into the backdoor of the playoffs?

Dino 6 Rings
07-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Funny, he has his team beating 3 of the 4 AFC North teams.

LambertIsGod58
07-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Now that was funny!! A Michael Bolton sung song.....LMFAO!!

revefsreleets
07-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Even with this dude drinking the kool aid he can barely bring himself to get them to 9-7?

It's stuff like this that make me glad that I am and always have been a Steelers fan. Even in years when we knew we were going to be "off" a bit, we still expect to at least make the playoffs.

MDSteel15
07-25-2008, 07:28 PM
If they are healthy, IF, the Texans will beat Indy at least once this season! Write it down.....

BlastFurnace
07-25-2008, 08:18 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they came in and beat us. What kind of teams give us trouble...those with a DL that can put pressure on the passer...which is what they can do.

We better come with our A game on Opening Day. They very well could come in and ruin our party.

HometownGal
07-25-2008, 09:13 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if they came in and beat us. What kind of teams give us trouble...those with a DL that can put pressure on the passer...which is what they can do.

We better come with our A game on Opening Day. They very well could come in and ruin our party.

You're right about that, Edman. It's the teams most of us take lightly that give us the hardest time and the Texans could very well be one of those teams. I'm not saying the Steelers won't win the opener, but as you said - we'd damned well better come out onto that field with our A game plan and execute!

19ward86
07-25-2008, 09:14 PM
I think that is a pretty good prediction for the 2008 texans.

Steelman16
07-26-2008, 12:18 AM
The Texans' DL will be a quick test of our O-line play for the upcoming year. Hopefully they don't fail it.

Preacher
07-26-2008, 02:30 AM

Think about games we have lost to them before.

Cowher ran teams played to their opponent. If it was a good team coming in, they would play up to that team... and win a lot of the time.

If it was a bad team, they would play down, and lose a lot of the time.

Last year, we lost to Denver, the Cards, and the Jets.

This game will be a dangerous game. You all are right... we need to set things straight in a hurry.

Go up by 21... then crush them.

Then the second quarter comes! :wink02:

RoethlisBURGHer
07-27-2008, 12:40 PM
I think the Texans can be a very dangerous team this year. Nobody really sees anything much better from them than 8-8/9-7 this year.

However, if three key players stay healthy, this team could win 10 games or more. Those players:

Matt Shuab, QB
Andre Johnson, WR
Dunta Robinson, CB

If Green goes down, I think that could be an advantage because they drafted Steve Slaton out of West Virginia and his running style is perfect for the zone blocking scheme Houston runs.

The offensive line is lightyears better than the line that was "protecting" David Carr, who is a QB bust anyways.

Oh, and that defense isn't so bad either. Former first overall pick Mario Williams broke out last season and should have been in the Pro Bowl. Amobi Okoye is a very good DT that can bust up the pocket and pressure the QB. Then Demeco Ryans is a beast at MLB.

Godfather
07-27-2008, 02:42 PM
I think the Texans can be a very dangerous team this year. Nobody really sees anything much better from them than 8-8/9-7 this year.

However, if three key players stay healthy, this team could win 10 games or more. Those players:

Matt Shuab, QB
Andre Johnson, WR
Dunta Robinson, CB

If Green goes down, I think that could be an advantage because they drafted Steve Slaton out of West Virginia and his running style is perfect for the zone blocking scheme Houston runs.

The offensive line is lightyears better than the line that was "protecting" David Carr, who is a QB bust anyways.

Oh, and that defense isn't so bad either. Former first overall pick Mario Williams broke out last season and should have been in the Pro Bowl. Amobi Okoye is a very good DT that can bust up the pocket and pressure the QB. Then Demeco Ryans is a beast at MLB.

My prediction that the Texans made the right call picking Mario over Reggie is looking good right now.

Edman
07-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Remember the last time the Texans came to Heinz Field? Won 24-6 despite mustering the lowest offensive output for a winning team. They could easily expose the Steelers' special teams and Offensive Line in this game. Our Special Teams blow, and they can rush the passer, too. I wouldn't be too surprised if they came in and won by 10+ again.

If we can't beat teams like the Texans, it's not a good sign when the Steelers face the real tough teams.

Anything can happen, and as we can seen many, many times over the last two seasons, the Steelers are prone to falling asleep and can be beaten by teams they outclass and even the worst teams in the league.

The Duke
07-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Remember the last time the Texans came to Heinz Field? Won 24-6 despite mustering the lowest offensive output for a winning team. They could easily expose the Steelers' special teams and Offensive Line in this game. Our Special Teams blow, and they can rush the passer, too. I wouldn't be too surprised if they came in and won by 10+ again.

If we can't beat teams like the Texans, it's not a good sign when the Steelers face the real tough teams.

Anything can happen, and as we can seen many, many times over the last two seasons, the Steelers are prone to falling asleep and can be beaten by teams they outclass and even the worst teams in the league.

difference is, we had maddox then. ben screws up at times, but he wouldn't let that happen to this team

Galax Steeler
07-28-2008, 04:10 AM
I just hope we come in and play steeler football and beat the texans to set the tone for the rest of the year.

STEELtownHAVOX
07-29-2008, 06:34 AM
I didn't read the thread, but the Texans are building themselves a tough team. I give them props for that. I was so distraught on why they didn't pick Bush but instead took Mario Williams in that 06 draft. That my friends, was a great great decision that many others including myself were questioning.

The Duke
07-29-2008, 08:33 AM
I didn't read the thread, but the Texans are building themselves a tough team. I give them props for that. I was so distraught on why they didn't pick Bush but instead took Mario Williams in that 06 draft. That my friends, was a great great decision that many others including myself were questioning.

I really thought their FO was the dumbest ever when it happened. now I actually respect them, bush has been nothing so far, and williams will continue to get better, and bigger, lol

St33lersguy
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
The only area in the season I hope they predict correctly is the Texans against the AFC North, the rest doesn't matter. Since the Texans are in the AFC and not the NFC the will surely miss the playoffs with a 9-7 record, bold prediction picking them to beat the Jags at home.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-29-2008, 09:44 AM
When they picked Mario Williams over Bush, I loved the pick because I felt Bush was overrated and his game wouldn't translate well to the NFL.

The Duke
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
When they picked Mario Williams over Bush, I loved the pick because I felt Bush was overrated and his game wouldn't translate well to the NFL.

I never bought into the hype he was given before the draft, but I thought he was at least gonna be a better choice than williams. I was so wrong

Dino 6 Rings
07-29-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm happy this game is Opening Day. It helps us to avoid the "overlook". We'll want to come out firing day one and throttling whoever is on the field against us. If this game was later in the year, I'd be worried about taking them lightly. But now, I'm confident we will be prepared to battle them to the death! Or at least get the Win.

TexansFight
08-05-2008, 09:38 PM
Whats up Steeler fans. Man, I still remember those battles in the old division when we had the Oilers.... good times. Bad times since my Texans came into the league... but that is all changing... and RAPIDLY.

You guys are going to have your hands very full when the Texans come to town. We went 8-8 last year in the toughest division in the league (imo) while leading the league in IR visits. Most notibly losing Andre Johnson and Dunta Robinson (two best players on each side of the ball) for half a season each. Considering we are getting healthy and have made some great additions overall as a team... there is NO REASON why we wont be a better football team this year.

The problem with the Texans is we play in the same division as Titans, Colts, and Jags.... Whatever anyone thinks our record might be,etc... it wont necessarily have an exact bearing on just how good this team is.

Cant frickin wait till the season!!

ShutDown24
08-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Whats up Steeler fans. Man, I still remember those battles in the old division when we had the Oilers.... good times. Bad times since my Texans came into the league... but that is all changing... and RAPIDLY.

You guys are going to have your hands very full when the Texans come to town. We went 8-8 last year in the toughest division in the league (imo) while leading the league in IR visits. Most notibly losing Andre Johnson and Dunta Robinson (two best players on each side of the ball) for half a season each. Considering we are getting healthy and have made some great additions overall as a team... there is NO REASON why we wont be a better football team this year.

The problem with the Texans is we play in the same division as Titans, Colts, and Jags.... Whatever anyone thinks our record might be,etc... it wont necessarily have an exact bearing on just how good this team is.

Welcome to the boards! Good luck during the opener! Should be a good game!

There is no denying the Texans are indeed improving, but I don't think the Steelers lose this one unless they severely look past this game. Considering it's the first of the season, I don't see that happening.

Don't get me wrong - Houston is a very good team when healthy these days, but they're simply outclassed against the Steelers.

Please stick around the boards for and after the game so we can discuss it when it finally comes!

:cheers:

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-06-2008, 12:52 AM

:wave: Welcome to the boards! :hatsoff:

As Coach Tomlin says, you can't ever chalk up losses to injuries! I understand what you're saying though. I wouldn't be upset to see the Texans beat the Jags and Titans a bit, but I live in IN...as painful as it is to say, I've got maybe 3% Colts fan in me (and 200% Steelers fan). :tt02:

Some people may disagree, but no doubts the AFC South and NFC East are the two toughest divisions in football for their respective conferences in my eyes. The Texans are a solid football team in an even more solid division. Let Amobi Okoye pair up with Williams to wear the Jags down a bit and your record can be 0-16 and you'll be my favorite team outside of Pittsburgh :thumbsup:

I can agree with that! :tt03:

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-06-2008, 12:57 AM
I never bought into the hype he was given before the draft, but I thought he was at least gonna be a better choice than williams. I was so wrong

I'll admit it, I was the same. They grabbed Williams and I thought "Stupid Texans move." It's pretty funny that these major sports rags (and people) criticized the Texans wildly and now say they knew it was the right move.

Whaaaaatever :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
08-06-2008, 11:50 AM

Welcome.

The Steelers will have our hands full with every single team we play this season because we have the toughest schedule in football. I for one and happy about that because it will keep us focussed each and every week and the fact we have you guys opening day, in our house, where we don't lose on opening day, means we won't "overlook" the team from Houston.

However, the problem with the Texans has nothing to do with the division you play in. The Texans have never gotten a star QB worth his weight in salt or had a running back that wasn't a cast off from another forgotten team.

So good luck, but don't count chickens too early.

The Duke
08-06-2008, 12:48 PM

welcome dude

you know, I was thinking what are the texans most noticeable weaknesses, and for the first time since they came to the league I can't find a BIG one.

sure, every team has problems, maybe depth issues, injuries.... but before last year the texans had an obviously BIG o line and QB problem. those seem to have been fixed. their defense stepped up their last two years, mainly because of demeco ryans

running back seems like the biggest one, but slaton may be the future, and green/ brown( or whoever else that may be the starter) are not bad.

they have come a long way, but the texans are a great team right now, which makes me think the steelers won't start the toughest schedule in the NFL with an easy one in week one. no, it's a challenge right there from the beginning, and I couldn't be more excited about that :tt02:

still, they are going to kick the texans asses so prepare to re-live their sucky days at least during the day they play the steelers

warddj86
08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
Funny, he has his team beating 3 of the 4 AFC North teams.

hey, that's fine with me considering the one he doesn't have them beating is us.

:sofunny::tt:

lilyoder6
08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
i still think that bush would of helped out the off as much as mario did 4 the d... bush is very talented and u can't deny it.. it's all about who u play 4..

xfl2001fan
08-06-2008, 01:22 PM
i still think that bush would of helped out the off as much as mario did 4 the d... bush is very talented and u can't deny it.. it's all about who u play 4..

Bush has proven to be a pretty good complementary/change-of-pace back. That's about it. At USC, he still had LenDale White to do the dirty work that he never was capable of.

fansince'76
08-06-2008, 01:24 PM

Bush is about one more disappointing season away from bustville.

xfl2001fan
08-06-2008, 01:25 PM

He's much closer to that than a Canton Bust

TexansFight
08-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the welcome Steeler fans! Anyone else watching the clock slowly tic toc towards our first game against each other??? Its taking forever!

Anyway... here is kind of a run down of our team.

As stated before....I think the Texansare going to be damn good. But it just may not end up showing how good they are in the actual win column in 08. As is yours.... our schedule is BRUTAL.

Offensively for us the key was bringing in Alex Gibbs. He is probably the greatest Oline coach in NFL history. He is the guy who started the whole zone blocking scheme in Denver and where ever he has gone has repeatedly vaulted his teams running game to the top quickly and consistently. Gibbs worked with Texans head coach Gary Kubiak, who served as the offensive coordinator in Denver, from 1995-03. During their time together, the Broncos led the NFL in rushing with 20,150 yards. Denver finished second in total offense with 54,167 yards during their nine seasons together. The Gibbs hire was HUGE. Especially considering what this new regime took over 2 years ago and found themselves having to overhaul the entire roster...and its impossible to fill them all over night. Gibbs improves the running game despite a long term RB not being able to be addressed until next year. This will also help protection, and more importantly play action.... keeping the defenses honest (opposite of last year) and will hopefully keep Schaub healthy and firing the ball deep to AJ for 16 games.

The D should something special by 09. Tons of extremely young talent that is growing together. Mario is about to become a defensive MVP candidate this year imo. Kubiak states he has never seen a guy dominate an off season like Mario did recently in all his years of football. Should be an absolute monster (Yes, I was for the pick from day one). Amobi Okoye is a star in the making. With Mario on one side, Amobi up the middle, and newly added Roosevelt Colvin on the opposite side on passing downs... look out Ben! Demeco Ryans is a stud and we have the deepest LB corp we have ever had with Xavier Adibi, Morlon Greenwood, etc. Our secondary will be fragile early on with Dunta Robinson on the PUP to start the season. Tho Fred Bennett was the best rookie CB last year and one of the better ones overall in the NFL, and our new draft pick CB Antwan Molden is supposedly farther along than Bennett was last year at this time. D should be greatly improved, but not really dominant until next year if all works according to plan.

I truly believe in Gary Kubiak. Dude is legit... and I have a very good feeling about where he is taking this team. Him and our new GM Rick Smith inherited a 2 win cap strapped no talent team in 05. In 2 years, with no money they drafted as good as anyone in the league and managed to create depth without breaking the bank. They are building slowly but surely, restructuring, and clearing room until the day comes when that last piece or two can be bought with a huge contract in free agency. Would you have ever guessed .500 ball just 2 years ago after the Mario Williams draft? A great sign for the future.

Bottom line, we should be very competitive and win some games this year. Considering we went 8-8 last year (7-3 outside division) while losing AJ, Schaub, A. Green, Dunta Robinson, etc,etc.. for long stents is a miracle imo. I know injuries are no excuse... but those are some serious key pieces. If we can stay healthy and get a few bounces... we can win 9 games. 9-7 is my current prediction.

For our game... i think its good you guys face us early. It will be our first REAL game with our revamped O-line and running the Alex Gibbs scheme. Not to mention our secondary will be inexperienced this early without Dunta. That being said... I do think this will be one heck of a football game.

CHEERS! and GO TEXANS!!!!!!!!

The Duke
08-07-2008, 09:35 AM
yeah 9-7 seems about right if the team plays up to its potential, with a 42-0 loss on week one though :tt:

St33lersguy
08-07-2008, 02:08 PM

:iagree: Escpecially considering the fact that he was a NO. 2 pick and came out of college with as much hype and media attention since the Boz.

TexansFight
08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
:iagree: Escpecially considering the fact that he was a NO. 2 pick and came out of college with as much hype and media attention since the Boz.

I actually think he will have a much better season than last year. BUT, he NEEDS an everydown back to make him the player that he is..... a 3rd down type back. The new complimentary RB weapon in the NFL. We get a MONSTER of a DE in Mario Williams with our pick... and that type of back in Steve Slaton in the 3rd round. So I think we definitely went about our pick the right way.

fansince'76
08-07-2008, 02:40 PM
I actually think he will have a much better season than last year. BUT, he NEEDS an everydown back to make him the player that he is..... a 3rd down type back. The new complimentary RB weapon in the NFL. We get a MONSTER of a DE in Mario Williams with our pick... and that type of back in Steve Slaton in the 3rd round. So I think we definitely went about our pick the right way.

Absolutely - the Texans made the wiser choice between Williams and Bush, IMO.

stlrtruck
08-07-2008, 03:01 PM
I really thought the Texans were going to take Bush. I thought he was a better fit for their needs. Honestly, I think the Saints utilize him incorrectly. However, the Williams pick was definitely a shocker and in hind-sight the best possible solution for what the Texans needed. I guess Fix the defense and the offense will follow.

TexansFight
08-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I really thought the Texans were going to take Bush. I thought he was a better fit for their needs. Honestly, I think the Saints utilize him incorrectly. However, the Williams pick was definitely a shocker and in hind-sight the best possible solution for what the Texans needed. I guess Fix the defense and the offense will follow.

He didnt fit our needs actually. Our O-line was HORRIBLE when Bush was available. It required attention on the line before we could focus on drafting a RB... one like Bush at that. He would have gotten killed being the main back behind a terrible line. We got one for basically free later on when we traded back this year for LT Brown and got RB Steve Slaton.

New Orleans didnt use him correctly last year because Deuce went down. The year before he was the main back and Bush was able to thrive more in that 3rd down scat back posish I spoke about earlier while Deuce took most of the load.

lilyoder6
08-09-2008, 02:34 PM
slaton won't be as good as bush.. the 1st yr bush was amazing and williams wasn't good.. 2nd yr was flipped flopped between the 2.. so yr 3 might be the deciding yr 4 me.. but bush does so much more than williams so thats what makes him more valueable

TexansFight
08-09-2008, 02:35 PM
slaton won't be as good as bush.. the 1st yr bush was amazing and williams wasn't good.. 2nd yr was flipped flopped between the 2.. so yr 3 might be the deciding yr 4 me.. but bush does so much more than williams so thats what makes him more valueable

Really? A dominating D-line said alot in last years Super Bowl I thought. And again, the reason Bush was "amazing" as you state (although I disagree on that description).... was because he had Deuce to take all the heat off of him.

The Duke
08-09-2008, 02:42 PM

really? last year decided it for me. bush is way overrated. not an NFL back. and williams is....scary, lol

xfl2001fan
08-09-2008, 02:57 PM

As good as Bush? Bush can only be good if he's utiliized correctly. I don't think anybody (outside of Slaton-homers) believes he can be an everydown back. He'll be used as a 3rd down scat back player for Houston.

Bush has already proven to be overrated. If he had been picked in the 3rd round like Slaton, maybe it would be different.

Williams sure looks like he's much closer to being worth the #1 pick that was spent on him than Bush was with the #2.

Bush may be more versatile, but Williams is far better at the "few things" he is doing than what Bush is with his "much more". That (IMO) makes him a much better player.