PDA

View Full Version : The Anything And Everything Regarding Brett Favre Thread

HughC
07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
So this is what it's like to be a Packer fan these days (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=150274611295).

klick81
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
True fans.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-25-2008, 01:52 PM
This guy needs a life!

NO player is above my team!

Players can come and go.

The only thing thats gonna make me bail on the Steelers is the team leaving the Burgh!

rbryan
07-25-2008, 01:55 PM
He learned how to be a drama queen from his fav all time player....lol

fansince'76
07-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Pffft. That dude is a Favre fanboy, not a Packers fan.

Counselor
07-25-2008, 02:26 PM
He learned how to be a drama queen from his fav all time player....lol

Ha! Too true!

I can't think of Favre without his wife's awful voice coming to my mind from that horrible halftime MNF presentation last season.

"He was just a little boy . . .on farm . . .with his tractor . . . " talk about Drama!

Dino 6 Rings
07-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Heck, the Packers should trade Rogers now before he becomes a bust at this level and bring Favre back in. why not, he got them within one game of the SB last year and if he hadn't run into the buzzsaw that was the Giants last year he could have won it all. Rogers is not proven as the "next great QB" and while he still has trade value, they should trade him for a 1st rounder in the 09 draft.

OneForTheToe
07-25-2008, 03:14 PM
I actually like Favre's wife.

You can't blame Favre's wife for the sappy halftime story. Yes, it was a bit awkward, but she didn't produce it. And there is nothing (drama queen) about her own struggles (she is a cancer survivor).

She has her own foundation:

http://deannafavre4hope.com/

ESPN probably shouldn't have tried to deal with such a serious issue during the game, but their intentions were good.

xfl2001fan
07-25-2008, 03:48 PM
Heck, the Packers should trade Rogers now before he becomes a bust at this level and bring Favre back in. why not, he got them within one game of the SB last year and if he hadn't run into the buzzsaw that was the Giants last year he could have won it all. Rogers is not proven as the "next great QB" and while he still has trade value, they should trade him for a 1st rounder in the 09 draft.

How exactly does an unproven guy still warrant a 1st rounder in next years draft?

Why would you take a chance on a player who has been (somewhat) tutored by the ultimate gambler when you can draft a younger guy that you can mold into your teams plans?

Counselor
07-25-2008, 04:06 PM

You can't blame Favre's wife for the sappy halftime story. Yes, it was a bit awkward, but she didn't produce it. And there is nothing (drama queen) about her own struggles (she is a cancer survivor).

ESPN probably shouldn't have tried to deal with such a serious issue during the game, but their intentions were good.

I was by no means belittling her struggle. My mother died of cancer---I empathize with her battle and respect her efforts to raise money.

But that half time thing was more about him than her---which actually illustrates the point that its all about Favre, even when it shouldn't be.

And sorry---I can't stand her voice for some reason.

HometownGal
07-25-2008, 04:21 PM

Thank you, OFTT, for one of the few sensible (and considerate) posts I've read in the oodles of threads on the Favre saga. :drink:

LambertIsGod58
07-25-2008, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=Dino 5 Rings;415908]Heck, the Packers should trade Rogers now before he becomes a bust at this level and bring Favre back in. why not, he got them within one game of the SB last year and if he hadn't run into the buzzsaw that was the Giants last year he could have won it all. Rogers is not proven as the "next great QB" and while he still has trade value, they should trade him for a 1st rounder in the 09 draft.[/QUOTE/

I would agree totally with this post....:applaudit: I think that Brohm has more or chance to succeed. Rodgers is not durable enough to and IMO good enough to be a starter in the NFL. Yes, he had a good game vs Dallas. Does anyone remember Rob Johnson? Although I don't think Rodgers would be worth a 1st round pick to anyone at this point.

OneForTheToe
07-25-2008, 05:40 PM
I was by no means belittling her struggle. My mother died of cancer---I empathize with her battle and respect her efforts to raise money.

But that half time thing was more about him than her---which actually illustrates the point that its all about Favre, even when it shouldn't be.

And sorry---I can't stand her voice for some reason.

That is why I didn't quote you in my earlier post. I didn't want to insinuate that you were being callous when there was no reason to think you were. I just wanted to expound on Deanna Favre and the more important reason she was ESPN that night.

I'm very sorry about your mother.

And thank you, HTG.

revefsreleets
07-25-2008, 05:57 PM
He ought to give that Mark Chmura jersey to Brian Peppers.

rbryan
07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
I can't argue with the point that Favre gives the Packers a better chance and I can't even argue with the idea of trading Rodgers. IF Favre would step up and commit to playing instead of waffling back and forth like a little girl.

Favre has worn out his welcome with ALL the the drama. If he would have said he wanted to play a couple months ago this isn't an issue.

All of the big Favre supporters out there are going to look kind of silly if Sir Favre doesn't submit the papers to reinstate. For all you know he never intended to come back at all and is only in this for the extra camera time.......Sorry, but he's the one that opens the door for that kind of speculation with his actions, nothing would surprise me when it comes to Favre.

LambertIsGod58
07-25-2008, 07:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8098235e

I so hope he submits his papers to the commish on time and reports to camp. That he he'll force GB's hand to deal him or pay him $13MIL to sit on the shelf. Anything to f**k GB at this point, I'M ALL FOR IT!! Other rumor is that the NY Jets are very interested in ol' Brett.

The Duke
07-25-2008, 07:12 PM
lol, I thought the jets weren't interested at all in him

hopefully this is solved soon. maybe the steelers can even play against him this season, it's been a while since they played against favre

hey lambert, where do you personally want favre to end up ?

HometownGal
07-25-2008, 07:43 PM
This NFL forum is turning into the Brett Favre forum. :banging: In order not to make it difficult for our members who aren't interested in this continuing saga, I set up a thread and everything and anything having to do with Brett Favre should be posted here. I'm not going to move the large threads, but I did move several of the more recent threads in here. Thanks.

fansince'76
07-25-2008, 08:24 PM
http://origin.aintitcool.com/images2007/cowbell.jpg

I gotta have more Brett Favre threads!

missedgehead
07-25-2008, 10:35 PM
http://origin.aintitcool.com/images2007/cowbell.jpg

I gotta have more Brett Favre threads!

Is that a photo of Al Davis? Looks like him.

fansince'76
07-26-2008, 11:20 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Cowbell

LambertIsGod58
07-26-2008, 11:23 AM
lol, I thought the jets weren't interested at all in him

hopefully this is solved soon. maybe the steelers can even play against him this season, it's been a while since they played against favre

hey lambert, where do you personally want favre to end up ?

I'd love for Favre to go to Minnesota....though I know that will be extremely unlikely. I think with their O-line and running game, Favre could open up that offense. And their D is pretty good.

LambertIsGod58
07-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Favre not showing up for the first day of camp at GB....but to all of those who talk about Brett's ego. How the fact that Rodgers was Thompson's first ever pick? It seems to me that it's a question of starting the "Ted Thompson" era instead of continuing the Brett Favre dynasty. And that fat piece of garbage McCarthy can continue to slobber on Thompson's knob since his job depends on it. But if if werent' for Favre, McCarthy would have never gotten the job in the first place.

stillers4me
07-27-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm just sick of hearing about him.

Everytime I get in the car, and turn on ESPN satellite radio or Fox sports (I have XM installed in my car), all I hear is Favre this and Favre that. I just went to Wallymart, got in, and the guy was talking about something else and the other guy chimed in with, " I can't believe we just went 30 minutes without talking about Brett Favre". :doh:

HometownGal
07-27-2008, 04:45 PM

Nope. Chris Walken doesn't have teeth the color of an ear of corn. .:yuck:

Holy shit, Al - brush those choppers!!!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03Ii8KI4EUd9h/610x.jpg

Hammer Of The GODS
07-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Al Davis is the real life "Mr. Burns"! :horror:

Preacher
07-28-2008, 12:56 AM
Hilarious..

the Anything and Everything thread....

We should have one of these for the Pats as well!!

redst3
07-28-2008, 05:05 AM

Being a University of Southern Mississippi grad, I do too. They have done a lot for the school. They didnt have to either. Also, I hate to tell some of you this but that boy on a tractor stuff is actually true. I do agree that the man is making a fool of himself to the detriment of his team, but let's not get too carried away with the Favre basjing.

tony hipchest
07-31-2008, 10:06 AM
packers have offered favre $20 million over 10 years to remain retired.

:jawdrop: the plot thickens.

Glace
07-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Wow...You could photoshop some scary clown makeup on that picture of Al Davis and that'd give kids nightmares for YEARS!

As for Brett Favre....Man, just retire. You should have thought about this before you cried on national TV that you just "didn't want to play anymore".....

If Green Bay were to bring him back...this same exact thing will happen again next year. And probably the year after that.

BRETT....JUST F'IN RETIRE!!!

20 million over 10 years to retire??????? WHAT....THE....HELL????

Preacher
07-31-2008, 05:34 PM
packers have offered favre $20 million over 10 years to remain retired.

:jawdrop: the plot thickens.

Hilarious!!

And on top of that... Glace I think.. .took it seriously!!! :rofl:

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Favre: I've Always Had A Passion For Stopping Things, Then Starting To Do Things Again

KILN, MS - Embattled quarterback Brett Favre attempted Monday to explain his recent actions concerning his recent reversal of his decision to retire by holding a press conference in which he explained his lifelong love for quitting things briefly before resuming those same things after a certain interval of time had passed. "I'm just that kind of guy, I guess—a gunslinger on one hand, but on the other, a man who knows when to stop, at least at first, but then it turns out I really didn't know when to stop after all," Favre said. "I guess you could say I'm a guy who quits, then realizes I don't know the meaning of the word quit." A number of the journalists present were later heard to wonder, in light of Favre's recent inexplicable behavior, if perhaps drinking heavily were one of the things the first-ballot Hall of Famer had stopped doing before starting again

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/favre_ive_always_had_a

tony hipchest
07-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Hilarious!!

And on top of that... Glace I think.. .took it seriously!!! :rofl:

uh, preach... it was serious.

the team president flew a jet down south yesterday and met with favre and bus cook for over 3 hours. they really offered him 20 mil to stay retired. same type of deal was offered to nolan ryan back in the day. its not unprecedented.

favre said no thanks.

favre has chartered a jet to arrive in packers camp tomorrow (or possibly tampa bay with jeff garcia being carted off the field today in what seemed to be a significant leg injury- achilles?).

with the thread of favre showing up to packers camp, the latest is that the packers are now open to exploring trading favre to the bears or vikings.

:jawdrop: could the plot get thicker????

all per nfl radio on sirius

Preacher
07-31-2008, 07:08 PM
uh, preach... it was serious.

the team president flew a jet down south yesterday and met with favre and bus cook for over 3 hours. they really offered him 20 mil to stay retired. same type of deal was offered to nolan ryan back in the day. its not unprecedented.

favre said no thanks.

favre has chartered a jet to arrive in packers camp tomorrow (or possibly tampa bay with jeff garcia being carted off the field today in what seemed to be a significant leg injury- achilles?).

with the thread of favre showing up to packers camp, the latest is that the packers are now open to exploring trading favre to the bears or vikings.

:jawdrop: could the plot get thicker????

all per nfl radio on sirius

YOU ARE KIDDING ME!

Wow.

Well, I'll give it to him... it in a league where everything is driven by money, at least he is driven by a desire to play the game.

Steelman16
08-01-2008, 02:50 AM
Seriously though, 20 thou for NOT playing? Geeze Louise!

Obviously the man wants to play, but gosh, I think I woulda taken the 20 big ones!

I've pretty much turned a deaf ear to the whole Brett Favre saga, but the plot is definitely getting a little thick to stir. Something's gotta give or he won't be playing football this year anyway. He shoulda figured all this out before TC started for teams...

Dino 6 Rings
08-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Listen, this situation is SO easy to fix.

Trade Rogers. That's it. Put him on the block and get him off the roster. Then bring in Favre to play for the Packers. Anything that happens with Favre at the helm, win or lose, will be on Favre's shoulders. If they miss the playoffs or lose another home playoff game, it will be Favre's fault. The Fans will see it that way as will the rest of the league and all the talking heads.

However. If you don't allow Favre to play, or trade him, or have him sit out, and you don't win the NFC Championship game, everyone will say, "we'd have done better with Brett". The GM will get fired, the coaches could get fired, the fans will basically turn on their organization for letting the "legend" go and not bringing him back when he was within one game of the SB. So talk about pressure. Rogers has to win the NFC title game to show the fans, and the fans of the other 31 teams that they were correct in not allowing the all time TD leader and Passing Yards leader come back and play another season for them.

I'd dump Rogers now, before he gets hurt again, grab whatever value I could and go with Brett. A 2nd rounder in the 09 draft would be a huge help for the 09 season. You are addressing the future at the same time as trying to win now. This situation is a lose, lose for Aaron Rogers. If he doesn't win it all, he'll be the goat. No way this kid is ready for that type of pressure.

steel striker
08-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Listen, this situation is SO easy to fix.

Trade Rogers. That's it. Put him on the block and get him off the roster. Then bring in Favre to play for the Packers. Anything that happens with Favre at the helm, win or lose, will be on Favre's shoulders. If they miss the playoffs or lose another home playoff game, it will be Favre's fault. The Fans will see it that way as will the rest of the league and all the talking heads.

However. If you don't allow Favre to play, or trade him, or have him sit out, and you don't win the NFC Championship game, everyone will say, "we'd have done better with Brett". The GM will get fired, the coaches could get fired, the fans will basically turn on their organization for letting the "legend" go and not bringing him back when he was within one game of the SB. So talk about pressure. Rogers has to win the NFC title game to show the fans, and the fans of the other 31 teams that they were correct in not allowing the all time TD leader and Passing Yards leader come back and play another season for them.

I'd dump Rogers now, before he gets hurt again, grab whatever value I could and go with Brett. A 2nd rounder in the 09 draft would be a huge help for the 09 season. You are addressing the future at the same time as trying to win now. This situation is a lose, lose for Aaron Rogers. If he doesn't win it all, he'll be the goat. No way this kid is ready for that type of pressure.

History has painfully reminded us qb's following legendary qb's has not worked out so well. After reading last month's si where Cliff Stoudt said i tried shooting myself but, the bullet got intercepted! I know bad memories but, the truth hurts. This Favre saga is just unreal and, who would have though that they want to pay you not to play football for over 25 million bucks for two years. Just makes me go :noidea:

LambertIsGod58
08-03-2008, 04:58 PM
I was so hoping that Favre wouldn't take the deal. I would have been irrate if he did. I mean, this is all about playing football, right? I think Favre was just messin' with the Packers makin' them think there was a chance he'd take the deal. LOL!!!

Glace
08-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Favre’s role still in doubt, practice unlikely
By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—Brett Favre left Lambeau Field just before Green Bay Packers practice Tuesday afternoon, taking a right turn out of the stadium’s back gate—away from the field where the rest of his teammates were assembling for drills.

Favre emerged from the stadium’s loading dock exit at 2:34 p.m. EDT Tuesday, hugging Packers senior security advisor Jerry Parins before getting in his SUV and driving away. Shortly after, an SUV driven by Packers general manager Ted Thompson left the gate heading in the same direction.

“We’re at a stalemate,” Favre told ESPN Tuesday morning. “Mike and I both agreed last night that me being out there is a distraction and will continue to be a distraction. We all know the reason I’m here is because the commissioner reinstated me so we have a lot of things to figure out. It’s simple and complicated, both at the same time.”

The continued disagreement on Favre’s role could accelerate trade talks, perhaps with the Minnesota Vikings—something Packers officials have suspected Favre wanted all along but have been firmly opposed to giving him.

Favre was back at Lambeau earlier Tuesday, less than 12 hours after a late-night meeting between Favre and Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy concluded. Not that the two necessarily reached any conclusions.

Favre and McCarthy were supposed to talk about Favre’s commitment to football and his role on the team Monday night. The fact that the meeting ran several hours over its allotted time was a strong hint that it went beyond simply welcoming Favre back to compete with Aaron Rodgers for the starting job.

Favre told ESPN he doesn’t have a problem with competing with Rodgers for the starting job, and can “truly understand” why McCarthy would make Rodgers the starter. But Favre also said a competition “probably isn’t going to work” and that “the problem is that there’s been a lot of damage done and I can’t forget it.”

McCarthy had scheduled a news conference for 9:15 p.m. Monday to talk about his plans for Favre. But the news conference was postponed because McCarthy was still meeting with Favre, and hadn’t been rescheduled as of noon Tuesday.

Both Favre and McCarthy finally drove out a back gate at Lambeau at 12:22 a.m. Tuesday. Favre waved to a small crowd of fans and media from his dark red SUV, and McCarthy followed immediately behind him in a black SUV.

Favre officially was reinstated and restored to the team’s active roster Monday. Going into Monday night’s meeting with Favre, McCarthy was focused on trying to figure out whether Favre really was 100 percent committed to playing again.

McCarthy said Favre’s answers would go a long way toward formulating the team’s approach to its quarterback position this season.

“There have been no promises,” McCarthy said Sunday night, the most recent comment by a team official on Favre’s situation. “Once again, there has been indecision throughout Brett’s path back here to Green Bay. It’s important for us to sit down and communicate. There are some things we need to go through.”

At least one aspect of the Favre saga has been resolved: The Vikings won’t be punished for alleged tampering with Favre.

Commissioner Roger Goodell ruled Monday that he found no violations of league policy in the Packers’ tampering complaint against Minnesota Vikings. The Packers filed tampering charges last month, suspecting that interest from the Vikings was the main reason Favre had suddenly changed his mind about playing in 2008.

And Minnesota coach Brad Childress denied reports that the Vikings have talked to the Packers about a potential trade for Favre.

“We haven’t had any contact” with the Packers, Childress said Monday.

The Packers reluctantly embraced Favre’s forced return to the football field Sunday, after failing to come to a financial agreement that would manage to make Favre happy while staying retired. And while Favre’s role remains unclear, Rodgers said Sunday that he’s ready for a potential competition.

“I know if they do open it up to competition, not a lot of people give me a chance, but I believe in myself and I’m going to be the best I can be,” Rodgers said.

AP Sports Writer Jon Krawczynski contributed to this report from Mankato, Minn

The Duke
08-06-2008, 02:56 AM
looks like he'll end up with the bucs after all....

Brett Favre will likely be a Buccaneer within the next 24 hours, according to the Tampa Tribune.
Just like that. The Trib calls the chances of a trade not happening "remote" after Favre gave the Bucs approval to deal for him. If the report is true, Favre will be playing against his former team in Week 4, in an away game for the Packers. The trade could reportedly be announced as soon as Wednesday.

great, we get another year to enjoy watching him. hopefully all this drama ends though

favre to galloway. should be interesting....

stillers4me
08-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Think of all the fuel he's wasted back and forth in that chartered jet.....tsk.....tsk...... :sofunny:

klick81
08-06-2008, 10:32 AM
Packers to Buccaneers to Vikings? I see it happening.

millwalldavey
08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Packers to Buccaneers to Vikings? I see it happening.

Or one of those QBs the Bucs have on the roster.

Crushzilla
08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Are you freaking kidding me!??!

I just turned on ESPN and they are having a relationship counselor doing pretend relationship advice for the Packers/Favre divorce and how to not get the "kids" involved.

This has already been like a five minute spot...

IS THERE REALLY NO OTHER SPORTS NEWS!

redst3
08-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I find the prosepct of seeing him in a Bucs unfirom interesting indeed.

SteelCityMan786
08-06-2008, 11:59 PM
According to Fox Sports, Favre will be in East Rutherford, NJ this fall as a member of the Jets.

lilyoder6
08-07-2008, 12:00 AM
i just made a new thread.. so plz delete it.. thx.. this is crazy.. wondering what they got in return

The Duke
08-07-2008, 12:06 AM
jets??

poor favre, that team's going nowhere soon

meelanova
08-07-2008, 12:46 AM
i just made a new thread.. so plz delete it.. thx.. this is crazy.. wondering what they got in return

The Packers get a draft depending on how the Jets do this season. I dont know what round. Probably something high.

xfl2001fan
08-07-2008, 08:52 AM
The Packers get a draft depending on how the Jets do this season. I dont know what round. Probably something high.

4th rounder, and it will improve based upon the Jets performance. A first rounder is possible, but I assume a SB win is the only way that happens.

Atlanta Dan
08-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Good take by a Washington Post columnist

Hayseed Turned Diva

There should be a manual for sporting deities called "How to Step Away Gracefully," written by maybe Nolan Ryan or Jim Brown or Larry Bird, and it should be a must-read for every icon like Brett Favre before he retires. Because this unseemly saga that pushed into early this morning, with Broadway Brett headed to the New York Jets, severely damaged the myth of the heart-on-his-sleeve hayseed who restored glory to Green Bay....

The most lauded and legendary Packer since Vince Lombardi will show up in New York any second now, the way Johnny Unitas showed up in San Diego after Baltimore, throwing passes to the other team. Or the way Michael Jordan showed up in Washington after Chicago, icing his knees and his ego before he ruined his ending. ...

Before the messy breakup with the Packers, Favre stood for something in a greed-driven sports landscape. His back story was too authentic, it seemed, to ruin the go-long myth.

Blame Favre. Blame Green Bay. But foremost, blame the addictive lure of the game and its accompanying fame. That's an intoxicating c**ktail for any elite athlete, even a homespun legend from Kiln, Miss., who couldn't give either up before his final act as Broadway Brett.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/06/AR2008080603985.html?hpid=topnews

Aussie_steeler
08-08-2008, 06:52 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/08/07/2008-08-07_brett_favre_flies_into_cleveland_for_jet.html

He refuted the perception the Jets were a last-resort choice, although he acknowledged the Packers and Vikings were his top two preferences. On Wednesday night, the Jets outbid the Buccaneers, who didn't come close to matching the Jets' offer - a conditional fourth-round pick that could escalate as high as a first-rounder.

"I was never not interested in the Jets," said Favre, sitting between owner Woody Johnson and GM Mike Tannenbaum at a makeshift dais. "My interest at first ... was to stay within the division. Maybe that was my vindictive nature, my competitive nature. In the end, that was the wrong motivation."

Finally the real reason why Favre wanted to stay in the NFC North - his vindictive nature.

I will always respect the man as a footballer but the longer this circus continues the more I dislike what I see off the field.

He really didnt convince me in the interview that he was committed to being a Jet.