PDA

View Full Version : Nady and Marte Traded to the Yankees

SteelCityMan786
07-25-2008, 07:11 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/nady-pulled-fro.html

As of 6:57 according to mlb trade rumors it appears that Marte and Nady are going to the Yankees and the Pirates will receive minor leaguers.

Steeler in Carolina
07-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Wonder how many more trades will be made before the deadline.

Pittsburghfan
07-25-2008, 07:46 PM
from TIOPS

The official deal is P, Phil Coke, RP, Ross Ohlendorf, P George Kontos OF Jose Tabata

Yankees stole that one...
EDIT: and MLB confirmed it too. Just not a done deal yet

SteelersTilIDie
07-25-2008, 08:59 PM
ohlendorf's MLB era is around six, and him and tabata are the yankees 7th and 3rd best prospects, respectively

HometownGal
07-25-2008, 09:04 PM
WTH are they thinking?????????? :mad:

From the horse's mouth:

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080725&content_id=3193664&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Pirates trade Nady and Marte

Source says deal is with Yankees for pitcher, three prospects
By Jenifer Langosch / MLB.com

PITTSBURGH -- Pirates right fielder Xavier Nady and reliever Damaso Marte have been traded to the Yankees.

Though the team confirmed a trade, the Pirates have not confirmed that both players are indeed going to New York. However, according to one official baseball source, Nady and Marte have been dealt for right-hander Ross Ohlendorf and three prospects. Those prospects are believed to be lefty Phil Coke, outfielder Jose Tabata and right-hander George Kontos.

Coke pitched one inning for Double-A Trenton on Friday before being pulled.

The Pirates have not officially made an announcement and said they will do so after medical evaluations are completed.

Nady started Friday's game and was removed after one inning. Television cameras caught Marte hugging his teammates in the dugout in the second inning, apparently shortly after learning the news.

CantStop85
07-25-2008, 09:14 PM
I think the Yankees made out like bandits with this one.

SteelCityMan786
07-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Stat Lines on the players picked up

Jose Tabata(With AA Trenton)
AVG:.248 HR: 3 RBI 40

Phil Coke(With AA Trenton)
9-4 with a 2.60 ERA

George Contos(With AA Trenton)
3-9 with a 3.77 ERA

Ross Ohlendorf(With AAA Wilkes Barre/Scranton)
1-1 with a 4.03 ERA

X-Terminator
07-25-2008, 09:45 PM
I heard about this trade during the game. I swear to God, the Pirates aren't even friggin trying. What an absolutely abysmal trade. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised - this is what the Pirates do. Give away good talent for other teams' garbage.

We're not even through a full season, and I'm already calling for Huntington to be fired. If he wasn't going to get the player he wanted from the Yankees (Kennedy), then why not look elsewhere for a better offer??? The Rays were actually willing to part with one of their top prospects for Nady. Fricking ridiculous.

Can we PLEASE find a GM with a friggin brain???!!!!!!

Crushzilla
07-25-2008, 11:09 PM
I hate this trade today with the hope that I'll love it tomorrow.

You really don't know with baseball. The farm systems are so deep and reaching the actually Major League level is a process. This could be a steal in the other direction in four years. You just don't know.

Of course it looks bad on paper. You have two teams in different directions. One is trying to win its division.. one is.. erhm..rebuilding.

I love X, but he wasn't really the future... and to be honest this outfield has the potential to be DEEP. Bay, McLouth, Cutch, Doumit, Morgan, Tabata. You never know, there could be a winning combination in there in a few years.

What the Pirates DO need, they may also get as they trade one pitcher for three. This team isn't trying to win right now.. even if I want them to so, so badly.

X-Terminator
07-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I hate this trade today with the hope that I'll love it tomorrow.

You really don't know with baseball. The farm systems are so deep and reaching the actually Major League level is a process. This could be a steal in the other direction in four years. You just don't know.

Of course it looks bad on paper. You have two teams in different directions. One is trying to win its division.. one is.. erhm..rebuilding.

I love X, but he wasn't really the future... and to be honest this outfield has the potential to be DEEP. Bay, McLouth, Cutch, Doumit, Morgan, Tabata. You never know, there could be a winning combination in there in a few years.

What the Pirates DO need, they may also get as they trade one pitcher for three. This team isn't trying to win right now.. even if I want them to so, so badly.

I would feel better if the Pirates got something of value in return. But there is not one blue-chip prospect in that lot. Not one. You rebuild with young, solid, major league-caliber talent. You don't rebuild with other team's dregs, which is ALL this organization has done for the past 15 years. And on top of all of this, they are having trouble getting Alvarez signed. It's a freaking joke. I'm sick of all of the failed 4 year rebuilding plans, and I'm REALLY fed up with the Pirates being nothing more than a farm team for the Yankees and Red Sox. I want to see this team make some REAL progress toward building a winner, and so far, all I'm seeing is business as usual with Huntington, Coonelly and the rest of the "management" team.

I don't care how I sound. Fire them, and get someone with a damn brain in here.

SteelCityMan786
07-25-2008, 11:42 PM
I would feel better if the Pirates got something of value in return. But there is not one blue-chip prospect in that lot. Not one. You rebuild with young, solid, major league-caliber talent. You don't rebuild with other team's dregs, which is ALL this organization has done for the past 15 years. And on top of all of this, they are having trouble getting Alvarez signed. It's a freaking joke. I'm sick of all of the failed 4 year rebuilding plans, and I'm REALLY fed up with the Pirates being nothing more than a farm team for the Yankees and Red Sox. I want to see this team make some REAL progress toward building a winner, and so far, all I'm seeing is business as usual with Huntington, Coonelly and the rest of the "management" team.

I don't care how I sound. Fire them, and get someone with a damn brain in here.

Note that if physicals are not passed the deal is shot.

rbryan
07-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Par for the course. Although you could make a pretty good argument to get rid of everyone else while you're at it. If your out of the race by July with these guys, how much worse can you be without them. The sad thing is that in recent years the Pirates record as of now would still give them a shot in the mediocre NL Central, but not this year.

I really liked Nady, This shows me that all the talk about trying to field a contender really is just talk.

OneForTheToe
07-26-2008, 10:22 AM
Not a good trade on paper. They traded the right two players, but they didn't get enough value in return. I'm guessing during those goodbye hugs Nady's teammates were probably saying; "good luck, and I wish I was going with you." Of course, a team can always luck out. Maybe one of those pitchers will turn out to be an all-star. Then again, these are the Pirates and they only have one kind of luck.

Finally, maybe it is time to stop blaming countless GM after GM when we all know where the real problem is - Ownership. Oh please, Mr. Druckenmiller, you would be an instant hero in the burgh.

SteelCityMan786
07-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Not a good trade on paper. They traded the right two players, but they didn't get enough value in return. I'm guessing during those goodbye hugs Nady's teammates were probably saying; "good luck, and I wish I was going with you." Of course, a team can always luck out. Maybe one of those pitchers will turn out to be an all-star. Then again, these are the Pirates and they only have one kind of luck.

Finally, maybe it is time to stop blaming countless GM after GM when we all know where the real problem is - Ownership. Oh please, Mr. Druckenmiller, you would be an instant hero in the burgh.

As long as he would run it like Ron Burkle helps run the Penguins. He lets the Hockey People do all the scouting and he helps bring in the money.

Pittsburghfan
07-26-2008, 12:26 PM
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080725&content_id=3193664&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

As of Friday, the Pirates were expected to receive four prospects - right-hander Ross Ohlendorf, outfielder Jose Tabata, right-hander George Kontos and lefty Phil Coke - in return for Pirates reliever Damaso Marte and outfielder Xavier Nady.

However, as of Saturday morning, Kontos and Coke appear to be out of the deal. Instead the Pirates will be receiving right-handers Jeff Karstens and Daniel McCutchen, both of whom have been playing for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

SteelCityMan786
07-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Jeff Karstens
6-4 and a 3.80 ERA

Daniel McCutchen
4-6 and a 3.58 ERA

OneForTheToe
07-26-2008, 01:03 PM
I guess that would make the trade a bit better. Still, the Yankees knew that the Pirates had to move these two players so you will not get fair value in a trade. The "Nutties" are going to have to prove that they are willing to hold onto a few bigger salary players before other teams give them fair value. I won't hold my breath.

Boy going from the Yankees to the Pirates. Hello World.

OneForTheToe
07-26-2008, 01:06 PM
As long as he would run it like Ron Burkle helps run the Penguins. He lets the Hockey People do all the scouting and he helps bring in the money.

At this point I wouldn't even care. Running the team like Daniel Snyder does the "Skins" would be an improvement over the last 17 years.:coffee::noidea:

pittsburghp8baller
07-26-2008, 01:37 PM
we had to make room for Pearce and McCutchen and it looks like we pulled the gun a little to soon on the deal as i think for Nady and Marte we could of gotten better quality.

oh well you can probably expect Jack Wilson and Jason Bay, maybe John Grabow to all be next.

steelersfanman92
07-26-2008, 02:32 PM
I have seen the Indy Indians (Pirates AAA team) a few times this season and both Pearce and McCutchen were impressive. I definetely think from what I have seen that they can make it in the bigs

SteelCityMan786
07-26-2008, 02:58 PM
we had to make room for Pearce and McCutchen and it looks like we pulled the gun a little to soon on the deal as i think for Nady and Marte we could of gotten better quality.

oh well you can probably expect Jack Wilson and Jason Bay, maybe John Grabow to all be next.

Who else is major league ready to play Shortstop?

X-Terminator
07-26-2008, 03:21 PM

As of Friday, the Pirates were expected to receive four prospects - right-hander Ross Ohlendorf, outfielder Jose Tabata, right-hander George Kontos and lefty Phil Coke - in return for Pirates reliever Damaso Marte and outfielder Xavier Nady.

However, as of Saturday morning, Kontos and Coke appear to be out of the deal. Instead the Pirates will be receiving right-handers Jeff Karstens and Daniel McCutchen, both of whom have been playing for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.

Still brutal. Ian Kennedy had to be part of this deal for it to have any value. None of these guys are impressive AT ALL.

Looks like 15 more years of bad baseball. God, it's so tough being a Pirates fan...

OneForTheToe
07-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Some comments:

NEW YORK POST
***** They filled needs without giving up anything that will hurt them." Another executive from an AL contender said bluntly, "The Pirates took a bag of [bleep] quantity."

More proof that in the FO's mind this team is not going to win:

The Times: ****** An official from a team interested in Nady flatly said his club offered better quality, but Pittsburgh was too concerned with getting quantity.

Oh well, i enjoyed watching the Passion play on TV the other day. :noidea:

http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=KDKA_Sports

rbryan
07-26-2008, 07:13 PM
I was almost ready to think they may have turned the corner. I was really hoping they might step up and go after someone to build towards next year. Pitching let them down bigtime this season but IMO there was a solid core group of players being established, Nady being one of those players.

HometownGal
07-26-2008, 08:55 PM
I was almost ready to think they may have turned the corner. I was really hoping they might step up and go after someone to build towards next year. Pitching let them down bigtime this season but IMO there was a solid core group of players being established, Nady being one of those players.

I totally agree. Nady was most definitely part of that core and a huge part of the success of the Pirates offense this season. A total boneheaded move by the Pirates and though I will miss the X Man terribly, he is going to a team that is usually a contender (blech) and leaving an organization that has proven time and time again over the last decade + to be a pretender.

rbryan
07-28-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't think they're even trying to pretend anymore............sad

Edman
07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Bumbling Bucs strike again.

How many times does it have to be spelt to you guys? Why does this surprise you? Until the Nutcases change their philosophy as owners or leave, it doesn't matter how many rebuilding years they have, or how many managers they fire, the Pirates will continue to be mediocre to just plain bad. Huntington is nothing more than another yes man for the Nutts. He's done nothing to make me believe he'll be any better than Littlebrain, in fact, I think he'll be worse.

We're closing in on setting the MLB record for consecutive losing seasons, and judging by this horrible trade, we're about set for another five seasons of ugly baseball.

HometownGal
07-28-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't think they're even trying to pretend anymore............sad

If you all think we're frustrated, think of how the team feels.

I go to a couple of Pirates games per season. I refuse to feel sorry for those who continue to buy full or partial season ticket plans - all they are doing is putting millions into the NutJobs' pockets with no positive results. Imho - they have no right to B & M.

I watched part of the Sox/Yanks game last night and it was so sad to see Nady in a Yanks uniform. :shake02:

X-Terminator
07-29-2008, 12:37 AM
OK, now that I've had a chance to simmer down, let's take a look into this trade:

- Nady will be entering the final year of his contract next season, and he has Scott Boras as his agent, who, for those who aren't aware, is the MLB equivalent of Drew Rosenhaus. The Pirates are already dealing with Boras now, as he is the agent of this year's 1st round pick Pedro Alvarez, and predictably are having trouble getting him signed. And since the Pirates have Steve Pearce and Andrew McCutchen waiting in the wings, and the fact that Nady will command a hefty price tag if he has another solid season next year, he was expendable.

- Marte has a $6 million option for next season, and it just doesn't make any sense for them to pay a setup man that kind of money. Tyler Yates can do the same job for less than 1/6 of the cost; Denny Bautista can do it for the league minimum and John Grabow is a pretty good lefty setup man in his own right. And with Matt Capps already established as the closer, Marte was a guy the Pirates could afford to part with and get decent value.

Now, let's look at who they got from the Spankees:

- OF Jose Tabata. Dubbed "Lil' Manny (Ramirez)" by none other than Doug Mientkiewicz when he was with the Yankees last season. Was the 3rd best prospect in the Yankees system. Has talent out the ass, and many scouts think he's a future All-Star. However, he has a bit of an attitude problem (just like Manny) - he was suspended by his AAA team earlier this season for failing to back up an outfielder on a fly ball. If he gets his attitude in check and focuses on harnessing his talent, the Bucs will have a good one here.

- P's Jeff Karstens, Dan McCutchen and Ross Ohlendorf. As everyone here knows, the Bucs' starting pitching has been absolutely brutal this season. They have constantly put the team in huge holes to start the game, and the offense has to fight like hell just to get back in it. The pitching depth in the organization is severely lacking despite all of the arms that Littlebrain drafted over the years, and these three guys give the Bucs some much-needed help. All 3 are projected to be starters at the major-league level - Karstens in fact made a number of starts for the Spankees last season and is scheduled to join the rotation this weekend. Ohlendorf has had a cup of coffee in the majors as well. McCutchen was just 4-6 at AAA but had a pretty good 3.58 ERA. If the Bucs can get a couple of these guys to be decent starters and get a stud or 2 out of Maholm/Snell/Gorzo/Duke, they may end up having a decent rotation, certainly better than anything they've gotten this year. If nothing else, adding these 3 keeps the steaming pile of suck known as John Van Benschoten in the minors where he belongs, and may give Gorzo, Duke and Snell the kick in the ass that they need.

Is this the best deal they could have made? No, certainly not. But when you really think about it, it isn't as bad as it initially looked. Time will tell the true value of the trade.

TheWarDen86
07-29-2008, 01:14 AM
I've always hated that the Pirates are seemingly like the MLB's official farm team (constantly trading away talent), but as a lifelong/die hard Yankee fan I am estatic about this one.

SteelCityMan786
07-29-2008, 09:04 AM
- OF Jose Tabata. Dubbed "Lil' Manny (Ramirez)" by none other than Doug Mientkiewicz when he was with the Yankees last season. Was the 3rd best prospect in the Yankees system. Has talent out the ass, and many scouts think he's a future All-Star. However, he has a bit of an attitude problem (just like Manny) - he was suspended by his AAA team earlier this season for failing to back up an outfielder on a fly ball. If he gets his attitude in check and focuses on harnessing his talent, the Bucs will have a good one here.

He was also suspended from what I was hearing for pulling an A-Rod.(Leaving the Ballpark early when he wasn't supposed to)