PDA

View Full Version : Lamont Jordan released

Aussie_steeler
07-25-2008, 10:40 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3505642

To ease their RB glut, Raiders release veteran Jordan
By Bill Williamson
ESPN.com
The long LaMont Jordan saga in Oakland is over.

The team released the running back Friday after an exhaustive attempt to trade him since early June. Friday's resolution concludes a turbulent end to Jordan's three years in Oakland.

Oakland told Jordan, 29, to stay away from training camp and a June minicamp because it was trying to trade him. He had a pre-trade visit to Detroit earlier this month, but talks stalled. Jordan now joins a crowded group of veteran running backs looking for work, including Shaun Alexander, Ron Dayne and Cedric Benson.
Jordan's stint in Oakland came to an end because the Raiders have a crowded running back crew, especially now after drafting Darren McFadden with the No. 4 overall pick and because of Jordan's high price tag for 2008. Jordan had 1,025 yards rushing in 2005, his first season in Oakland after signing as a free agent from the New York Jets. However, he combined for just 984 yards in the last two years of Oakland.

The used car lot is starting to fill up with old models.

CantStop85
07-25-2008, 10:48 PM
I'd imagine some team will give him a look before it's over. Although it may take a training camp injury for it to happen.

Galax Steeler
07-26-2008, 05:45 AM
I'd imagine some team will give him a look before it's over. Although it may take a training camp injury for it to happen.

With Kenny Irons gone maybe you guys should give him a look.

CantStop85
07-26-2008, 10:45 AM
With Kenny Irons gone maybe you guys should give him a look.

Eh, I would doubt they will. The team pretty much already knew Irons wouldn't be available this season and have passed over guys like Kevin Jones and Shaun Alexander. Even with no Irons, the Bengals still have 5 pretty decent running backs battling it out for 3 spots.

I'd imagine it will take an injury to some team's #1 or #2 back for Lamont's name to be called.

revefsreleets
07-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Actually, the Browns should bring him in for a look. He's insurance if Lewis goes down...they really aren't very deep at RB either. Jerome Harrison and Jason Wright? I don't think so...

HometownGal
07-26-2008, 08:53 PM
Ooooooo - the Steelers should try to sign him. :tomato::tomato::chuckle:

tony hipchest
07-26-2008, 09:40 PM
appearantly the patriots signed him quicker than shit. (according to pft and schefter links on the pattiboard)

HometownGal
07-26-2008, 09:44 PM
appearantly the patriots signed him quicker than shit. (according to pft and schefter links on the pattiboard)

Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire. An aged weirdo to a cheating pr ick.
Poor Jordan.

tony hipchest
07-26-2008, 11:04 PM
Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire. An aged weirdo to a cheating pr ick.
Poor Jordan.he was the original michael turner. i wonder if turner will meet the same fate in atlanta as jordan did in oakland?

going to the doormat of the league isnt the best way to show youre ready to be the premier back after 4-5 years in the league. (even chester taylor has been shoves aside in minn.)

jordan in boston is a good fit though. typical patriots move where not much will be asked of him, and if it is, he should be capable of delivering.

i guess after patriots gave up so much for moss last year :rolleyes: davis wasnt even able to squeeze out a 6th round pick from them.

RoethlisBURGHer
07-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Wow, I am surprised he went to New England.

I thought Jordan was going to be a stud RB when he hit FA, then he signed with the Raiders and it all went downhill from there.

revefsreleets
07-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Turner never had the issues that Jordan did. I'm not sure what this says about NE and their RB situation, but I think I like it either way.

silver & black
07-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Before anyon gets all gushy about "Slowmont Jordan"... Good riddance!

He was/is slow. He is too big to be trying to do the Barry Sanders thing. Just run north and south Lamont! All the chest beating and bravado on the sidelines, and he never did a damn thing.

Always hurt. He has recurring back problems. I'm sorry, but we weren't going to get anything for him anyway. Later LJ... good luck... you're going to need it... because you are nothing more than a back up, and you never were.

Dino 6 Rings
07-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Always hurt. He has recurring back problems. I'm sorry, but we weren't going to get anything for him anyway. Later LJ... good luck... you're going to need it... because you are nothing more than a back up, and you never were.

I agree, he made a name for himself backing up Curtis Martin on the Jets, he didn't carry the full load and then when given the chance to, he didnt get it done.

He'll be an ok back up if he is in fact on the Pats this season.

steelreserve
07-30-2008, 01:16 PM
I agree, he made a name for himself backing up Curtis Martin on the Jets, he didn't carry the full load and then when given the chance to, he didnt get it done.

He'll be an ok back up if he is in fact on the Pats this season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him do OK if he was on a solid team. Injuries aside, you have to account for the fact that overall, the Raiders' offense has been like a fire drill that ends with the dog running loose and the keys locked in the house. A change of scenery will do him good.

Dino 6 Rings
08-01-2008, 09:33 AM
You know this is really a smart move by the Pats signing this guy. Think about it, he's spent the last few years preparing to play the Broncos, Chargers and Cheifs twice a year. Who do the Pats play this year? The AFC West. So this guy could give them some prep information that they may not have had just having to play these teams once in a blue moon. Other than the chargers, they haven't played oakland, kc, or denver that often. Plus Denver has had Bill B's number for the last few years, at least now he may get some prep information for an interdivision opponent that he hadn't had in previous years. Smart move.

steelreserve
08-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Oh, also, it should be noted that when I saw the title of this thread, for some reason, my mind naturally finished off the sentence with "from prison."

xfl2001fan
08-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Oh, also, it should be noted that when I saw the title of this thread, for some reason, my mind naturally finished off the sentence with "from prison."

If he had played for the Bengals, that would have tied in very nicely.

tony hipchest
08-04-2008, 02:16 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/michael_lombardi/08/01/frankly.football/1.html

• The San Francisco Chronicle reports, "Oakland owner Al Davis is steamed running back LaMont Jordan signed with New England over the weekend. Davis and Jordan's agent Alvin Keels had an agreement that if the Raiders did grant Jordan's release, he wouldn't sign with the Patriots or the Broncos and may want to file tampering charges against the agent and the team."

That would be an interesting tampering claim because it may open a whole set of other problems for Davis and the Raiders. The agent for Jordan also happens to be the agent for ex-Giant safety Gibril Wilson, who the Raiders signed this offseason. If the Raiders contacted Keels before the beginning of free agency regarding Wilson, which is something I've heard bandied about, this might not go over well with them filing a charge against the Pats. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.
so the old man is not only pissed that he got "tucked" in the playoffs in 01, had corey dillon stolen from under his nose, got suckered into trading moss for a 55 gal vat of vaseline, but now have the patriots pick up his trash in what will be even more valuable than a simple "pump 'n dump" move.

theres only 1 way to get revenge and that is to sign kevin faulk away from the patriots for $8 mil a year once he hits free agency. :rolleyes:

al, shut up and get back to convincing your new $55 mil punching bag wr out of retirement.

oh, and solid point by dino5rings on the patriots picking jordan up.

silver & black
08-04-2008, 04:34 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/michael_lombardi/08/01/frankly.football/1.html

so the old man is not only pissed that he got "tucked" in the playoffs in 01, had corey dillon stolen from under his nose, got suckered into trading moss for a 55 gal vat of vaseline, but now have the patriots pick up his trash in what will be even more valuable than a simple "pump 'n dump" move.

theres only 1 way to get revenge and that is to sign kevin faulk away from the patriots for $8 mil a year once he hits free agency. :rolleyes:

al, shut up and get back to convincing your new $55 mil punching bag wr out of retirement.

oh, and solid point by dino5rings on the patriots picking jordan up.

I can't disagree with you on this. Al needs to shut the f**k up and get on with making sure the Raiders are a viable team sometime in the next 5 years.

Who gives a rats ass where Jordan ended up? He is not a feature back... never was and never will be. I doubt his career lasts much longer, considering his back issues.

I'm fine with watching him go through all the chest beating and bravado on someone elses side lines, while pretending to be "the man".

steelreserve
08-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I can't disagree with you on this. Al needs to shut the f**k up and get on with making sure the Raiders are a viable team sometime in the next 5 years.

Sad to say it, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen until Davis lets go of some control. For the past 10 years, his entire MO has been to throw money around on big names and high draft picks, to the point where half the Raiders' cap space is eaten up by five or six guys. That's just not viable in the NFL anymore.

They did make it to the Super Bowl back in 2002, when all their moves paid off and they had a great coach, but that's incredibly lucky for a team that operates like that in this age.

silver & black
08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Sad to say it, but I'm not sure if that's going to happen until Davis lets go of some control. For the past 10 years, his entire MO has been to throw money around on big names and high draft picks, to the point where half the Raiders' cap space is eaten up by five or six guys. That's just not viable in the NFL anymore.

They did make it to the Super Bowl back in 2002, when all their moves paid off and they had a great coach, but that's incredibly lucky for a team that operates like that in this age.

I agree. Who is this great coach you speak of? Surely you can't be serious if you are talking about Callahan?