PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor restructures contract

The Duke
07-26-2008, 10:53 AM
to help sign the draft picks. talk about a team player :tt02:

Cornerback Ike Taylor agreed on Friday to restructure his contract to create more salary cap space to help the Steelers sign their top draft pick.

Agent Scott Smith of XAM Sports confirmed that Taylor, who signed a five-year, $23.75 million extension in 2006, will reduce his base salary of $4.1 million this season by $3 million. In return, Taylor, the highest-paid cornerback in franchise history, will receive a signing bonus of $3 million that will be spread over the next three seasons on the team's books -- $1 million in 2008, $1 million in 2009 and $1 million in 2010.

By converting $3 million of Taylor's base salary into a signing bonus, the Steelers were able to free up $2 million in cap space.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_579490.html

stillers4me
07-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks, Ike! Now that's team player! :applaudit:

43Hitman
07-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah that's great to hear. Kudo's to you Ike keep getting that good karma.

redst3
07-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Swaggin

Elvis
07-26-2008, 12:06 PM
no doubt this is good news that we are doing what is right to help our team be the best it can be.
now it is just time for Ike to start hanging on to some of those balls that should be intercepted so he earns that top DB $$ in steelers history.
:tt02:

SteelCityMan786
07-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Very Classy Ike. Your kindness I'm sure was appreciated by the Rooney's

The Duke
07-26-2008, 12:40 PM
now it is just time for Ike to start hanging on to some of those balls that should be intercepted so he earns that top DB $$ in steelers history.
:tt02:

true, but I found this interesting....

He became the first player in team history to record interceptions in three consecutive playoff games when he picked off a pass against Jacksonville in the Steelers' 31-29 loss in the AFC wild-card game.

hopefully that carries on to this years playoffs. that woud be like 3 interceptions on the way to the super bowl :tt02:

millwalldavey
07-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Now I have something good to say about the guy!

steeltheone
07-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Ike has dropped some pics.....But has given us some of the best coverage games you are going to see aka Ocho Stinko.

fansince'76
07-26-2008, 01:10 PM
.... that woud be like 3 interceptions on the way to the super bowl :tt02:

Three? I'd prefer two - I want a bye week.

fansince'76
07-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Ike has dropped some pics.....But has given us some of the best coverage games you are going to see aka Ocho Stinko.

Agreed. For anyone who has a problem with Ike, I got two words: Chad Scott. For good measure, here are two more words: Dewayne Washington.

xfl2001fan
07-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Keep in mind, that by reducing his "base salary" to a signing bonus, he's actually guaranteed more money (in the event of future problems.) It's a dual benefit for Ike and the Steelers, not just a classy move.

19ward86
07-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Im glad im a steelers fan because of the type of people that work within the organization. I bet you wouldnt see ocho cinco cut his salary for the team any time soon.

xfl2001fan
07-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Im glad im a steelers fan because of the type of people that work within the organization. I bet you wouldnt see ocho cinco cut his salary for the team any time soon.

You could make that a general statement about 90% of the WR's in the league. For some odd reason, they tend to be the biggest Prima Donna's in the league.

fansince'76
07-26-2008, 01:57 PM

Ike agreed to restructure his salary, not a pay cut - he won't be losing a dime.

Preacher
07-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Keep in mind, that by reducing his "base salary" to a signing bonus, he's actually guaranteed more money (in the event of future problems.) It's a dual benefit for Ike and the Steelers, not just a classy move.

True... I was thinking that too... however, he also took a hit this year. So he gets the money (he won't be cut this year anyway, so that was pretty much a given either way) over three years instead of 1 year.

It isn't AS BIG a move as some are making it out to be.. .but yeah, it is still a classy, smart, team player attitude move!

Thanks Ike!!

tony hipchest
07-26-2008, 01:58 PM
ike and the boss man are tight. i doubt dan rooney gives all his players fist bumps in passing. ike is his nephew (in the snoop dog sense of the word).

when ike signed his deal many bemoaned giving that much money to an unproven, 1 year wonder cb, who couldnt catch a cold.

however i proclaimed that in 3 years the deal would look like a bargain. ikes 4-5 mil per year is just that and the steelers have no problem adding an extra million dollars to any potential future cap hit by giving him a bit more up front.

tony hipchest
07-26-2008, 02:09 PM
True... I was thinking that too... however, he also took a hit this year. So he gets the money (he won't be cut this year anyway, so that was pretty much a given either way) over three years instead of 1 year.

It isn't AS BIG a move as some are making it out to be.. .but yeah, it is still a classy, smart, team player attitude move!

Thanks Ike!!he didnt take a hit this year. instead of getting his 4.1 base salary divided amongst 17 paychecks, he gets a 3 mil bonus up front and has the remaining 1.1 mil divided up for his weekly paycheck.

instead of that 3 mil counting towards this years cap, it adds an extra million to the cap of the next 3 years.

ike has been healthy throughout his carreer, and i think the team realized that should be rewarded and provide ike a little well deserved insurance incase something bad were to happen. not as good as getting a raise but it does work for both sides.

STEELAMANIA
07-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I LIKE IKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelin games
07-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Maybe this will free up some rome to sign someone lik Booger Mcfarland? I still think Tomlin might have the relationship to land him if he is healthy.:noidea:

RoethlisBURGHer
07-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Maybe this will free up some rome to sign someone lik Booger Mcfarland? I still think Tomlin might have the relationship to land him if he is healthy.:noidea:

They have tried twice and he failed both physicals. I would love to sign him, but I don't see him being healthy enough to do it.

Preacher
07-26-2008, 03:42 PM
ike and the boss man are tight. i doubt dan rooney gives all his players fist bumps in passing. ike is his nephew (in the snoop dog sense of the word).

when ike signed his deal many bemoaned giving that much money to an unproven, 1 year wonder cb, who couldnt catch a cold.

however i proclaimed that in 3 years the deal would look like a bargain. ikes 4-5 mil per year is just that and the steelers have no problem adding an extra million dollars to any potential future cap hit by giving him a bit more up front.

Yep.

He really has come through... had a bad string a couple years ago, but showed a lot of determination and grit.

I like the guy. I really do.

Kinda weird that I am starting to like our CB's after the first half of this decade.

SteelersJW
07-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Awesome. No holdouts and generous teammates. What more could we ask for?

Preacher
07-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Awesome. No holdouts and generous teammates. What more could we ask for?

Wins, Superbowls, another dynasty or two, the Browns to keep to their wonderful losing ways... the Bengals to stop committing crimes in Cincy, the Ravens to tell Ray Lewis that knives belong in the kitchen drawer, not in bodies, Tom Brady, Brady Quinn, and the Brady bunch to all achieve something... on their own merit and just say no to cameras, the rest of the Steel Curtain defense to be enshrined in the HOF, the Rooney's to work out their ownership issues OUT of the papers, and last but not least the Browns fans to admit that they have never won a championship in THIS league and for the Raider fans to finally admit the Immaculate reception was legit!

Just a few things.

The Duke
07-26-2008, 05:05 PM
Wins, Superbowls, another dynasty or two, the Browns to keep to their wonderful losing ways... the Bengals to stop committing crimes in Cincy, the Ravens to tell Ray Lewis that knives belong in the kitchen drawer, not in bodies, Tom Brady, Brady Quinn, and the Brady bunch to all achieve something... on their own merit and just say no to cameras, the rest of the Steel Curtain defense to be enshrined in the HOF, the Rooney's to work out their ownership issues OUT of the papers, and last but not least the Browns fans to admit that they have never won a championship in THIS league and for the Raider fans to finally admit the Immaculate reception was legit!

Just a few things.

no mention of john kuhn? :thmbdown:

HometownGal
07-26-2008, 07:07 PM
What a classy move by Ike! :drink: I've always liked Ike Taylor as a player - he plays hard and is very gutsy. I never felt he got his proper due from a lot of Steelers fans.

GBMelBlount
07-26-2008, 07:15 PM
What a classy move by Ike! :drink: I've always liked Ike Taylor as a player - he plays hard and is very gutsy. I never felt he got his proper due from a lot of Steelers fans.

Agree on all points. Would LOVE to see concrete Ike go to the Pro Bowl this year too.

revefsreleets
07-26-2008, 08:16 PM
I've always been a HUGE Ike fan, even when it was bordering on being an apologist. This further assures me that this kid is the real deal all the way around. Look for a monster year from him and whoever "wins" the other island to be covered.

billybob
07-26-2008, 09:02 PM

Please shut up and go to your home.

fansince'76
07-26-2008, 09:12 PM

It's not like the guy's trolling. Put him on your ignore list if you find his presence here so offensive.

missedgehead
07-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Way to go Ike. Thanks for helping out. I have always liked Taylor. I kind of resented it that he was the one in 2006 that got benched and was pretty much Cowher's scapegoat for the 2006 season going bad when IMO, there were PLENTY of OTHERS who were just as responsible (won't mention any names) for the team having a sub par year. At least that is how it seemed to me.

SteelCityMan786
07-26-2008, 09:54 PM

:iagree:

Steelman16
07-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Nice job, I LIKE it! Way to be a team player!

So nice and refreshing to hear of stuff like this. I don't really care that he'll end with the same amount on his paycheck, if not more, but it's the team-first that counts.

:tt02: Ike's da man!

Edit: Couldn't agree more HTG!

Galax Steeler
07-27-2008, 06:46 AM
Way to go Ike now start intercepting some of them balls I am so ready for the season.

SteelMember
07-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks Ike! :thumbsup:

You'll still get you $'s, but I hope it wasn't because of the dropped balls last year...

No, they still haven't re-introduced stick 'em. :chuckle:

Just help stop some of the 3 and longs. God those kill me. :banging:

stlrtruck
07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Imageine what we could have had if Chris Hope wasn't so punch drunk on making a quick dollar.

SteelerFanInCA
07-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Glad to see Ike is flexible with the way his contract is setup. Here's hoping he has a solid upcoming season.

billybob
07-28-2008, 06:24 PM
It's not like the guy's trolling. Put him on your ignore list if you find his presence here so offensive.

Offensive is not the correct term,absurd,lonely?????????may be better suited.Nother snoop from the dog pound.I do not feel threatened,just fumed at his constant presence.

xfl2001fan
07-28-2008, 06:34 PM

But this is my home. I've decided to move in and be the little brother you never wanted. I said nothing wrong. I just pointed out there was a dual benefit. I think it was a mixture of class and savvy business on Ike's part.

revefsreleets
07-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Now THAT'S a great analogy...I've always felt like the Browns and their fans were like the embarrassing little retarded brother to the Steelers. Always trying to tag along and keep up but just, well..."off". You feel sorry for them, but they really can't help themselves much so you just kind of feel sorry for them...

fansince'76
07-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Offensive is not the correct term,absurd,lonely?????????may be better suited.Nother snoop from the dog pound.I do not feel threatened,just fumed at his constant presence.

Fine. Put him on your ignore list then.

billybob
07-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Fine. Put him on your ignore list then.

For being a staff member you have a dogpound face too!

billybob
07-28-2008, 11:35 PM

Put me on yours!

billybob
07-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Put me on yours!

The name of this site is steelers fever,i have it so get off please.This is not a political site. This is not a browns site either!! If i thrash a Browns fan on my team site,am i wrong?

tony hipchest
07-29-2008, 12:33 AM
The name of this site is steelers fever,i have it so get off please.This is not a political site. This is not a browns site either!! If i thrash a Browns fan on my team site,am i wrong?

wrong? no.

dumb? it definitely appears that way.

billyjoejimbob, as a fellow steelerfan, ive definitely tried to give you the benefit of the doubt.

now i aint anybody on this board, other than another random opinion, but i have seen many trolls, come and go.

xfl2001fan doenst seem to be one of those types.

im in full support of this site being an inclusive site as opposed to an exclusive one (even though us steelerfans are definitely members of an exclusive fraternity).

i wouldve expected a dozen browntrolls (reminicent of the bunglefans the last time they actually had a winning season) on this board, but the brownies who have visited and stuck around have been much more respectful, knowledgeable, and complimentary of our team and the nfl in general.

we have people here such as j-dawg, silver & black, hawkbeliever, cantstop85 ( wise and mature beyond his years) who, as people, are as good as anyone else posting regardless of what team they root for...

we are all football fans and share that common bond. some of these die-hards recognize, appreciate, and want to be amongst, the greatest fanbase in the nfl.

cant blame them for that. :flap:

paw-n-maul-u
07-29-2008, 12:41 AM
holy billybob, You don't make a single bit of sense at all. Atleast xfl2001fan is coherent and competent. Although it is really annoying that anytime someone criticizes him all he says is, "this is a free site blah blah i can be here, I'm not offending anyone ..."

He's more boring than anything. But then again browns fans are really boring. So boring they couldn't even think of anything to call their team except the color brown. But that's another point not to be the main focus here.

The main focus is that you sound completely retarded. You string together thoughts and phrases that make as much sense as my GF while shes bleedin britches. It is very annoying to see your same stupid arguement in several threads, with complete disregard to the actual thread topic at hand.

fansince'76
07-29-2008, 02:11 AM
Put me on yours!

Alright pal, let me make it as simple for you as I can - cut the crap or you're getting a 30-day vacation. And another thing, stop quoting yourself and others' posts multiple times to get a single point across - there's an edit button. Use it. Capiche?

redst3
07-29-2008, 04:26 AM
But this is my home. I've decided to move in and be the little brother you never wanted. I said nothing wrong. I just pointed out there was a dual benefit. I think it was a mixture of class and savvy business on Ike's part.

LOl, XFL, my big brother whuppped my ass until I stood up to him!:chuckle: But you are OK with me and I am glad you are here.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks, Ike! Now that's team player! :applaudit:

Finally. Ike is looking in the mirror.

HometownGal
07-29-2008, 10:23 PM

Sez the guy with the pink helmet in his avatar. :sissies: :chuckle:

Look billybob - fans of all teams are welcomed here as long as they follow the very simple rules we are all asked to abide by. It isn't rocket science, honest. As in life, respect around here is earned, not handed out, and you're not going to get much respect with a dill pickle attitude.

benfan7
07-29-2008, 11:34 PM
aw ike! another reason why i love ya! now lets get some interceptions!

klick81
07-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Great job Ike. Now let's learn to catch!

steelreserve
07-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Hmm. Well, glad he agreed to that, although it's not like he's losing any money at all.

What worries me is that for the team's cap position, this move is essentially the same as putting $1 million on your credit card that you'll have to pay back next season. Doing that a lot is not good for you in the long run. The 49ers used to do it all the time, and around 5 or 6 years ago, the whole thing collapsed in on them and look where they are now.

xfl2001fan
07-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Hmm. Well, glad he agreed to that, although it's not like he's losing any money at all.

What worries me is that for the team's cap position, this move is essentially the same as putting $1 million on your credit card that you'll have to pay back next season. Doing that a lot is not good for you in the long run. The 49ers used to do it all the time, and around 5 or 6 years ago, the whole thing collapsed in on them and look where they are now.

The biggest difference is that it's a small amount that they were going to have to pay anyways. This sort of calculation is easily maneuvered around.

SF was attemptingto do this with much larger sums of money and mulitple contracts over many years.

Pittsburgh isn't known for doing this sort of thing and are smart enough to know to keep it small.