PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin is learning!

Preacher
07-27-2008, 09:55 AM
At the end of this article I read http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/07/26/sports/FBN-Steelers-Camp-Questions.php

Is this little gem here.

Last year, the Steelers spent four full weeks in Latrobe. They will spend only three weeks there this summer before returning to their Pittsburgh practice complex, and one of the those weeks is a short one due to a Thursday exhibition game in Toronto on Aug. 14.
"There are less two-a-days. There are less days," Tomlin said. "There is a little less of everything, and for a lot of reasons."

You know... I like this guy more and more!!

RoethlisBURGHer
07-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Last year I understand why he held such a tough training camp. There was a new sherriff in town and he wanted EVERYONE to know things would be different with him in charge.

He saw that it wore on the players last year and now he's going to make it easier. They all know this isn't going to be anything like Bill Cowher's Steelers anymore so he doesn't have to be as much of a hardass.

steeltheone
07-27-2008, 10:25 AM
What was very disapointing to me was that every aspect of the Steelers game got worse from start to finish last year ( not including Big Ben). I've never seen that in a Steeler team. I understand there was some injurys and what not, but Mike has a lot to prove. I'm not a basher, just a realist. I hope Tomlin is here and successful for years to come!:tt03:

fansince'76
07-27-2008, 10:52 AM
What was very disapointing to me was that every aspect of the Steelers game got worse from start to finish last year ( not including Big Ben). I've never seen that in a Steeler team.

1983 - 9-2 start, 1-4 finish, topped off by a 38-10 humiliation at the hands of the Raiders in a one-and-done playoff exit, and that happened under a 15-year veteran HoF-bound HC, not a 1st-year greenhorn like Tomlin was last year. I've seen a lot worse than last year.

millwalldavey
07-27-2008, 10:57 AM
People around these parts are still hung up on Cowher.

My reply: "Who the hell is Bill Cowher? Mike Tomlin is my Coach!"

stillers4me
07-27-2008, 11:10 AM
There was an extra week of TC last year because we had a new head coach. There was just more of everything because of a new coach and it just did them in.

On to this year........

Godfather
07-27-2008, 11:17 AM
What was very disapointing to me was that every aspect of the Steelers game got worse from start to finish last year ( not including Big Ben). I've never seen that in a Steeler team. I understand there was some injurys and what not, but Mike has a lot to prove. I'm not a basher, just a realist. I hope Tomlin is here and successful for years to come!:tt03:

We had more than "some injuries". We had two Pro Bowl defensive players injured, plus Ryan Clark, one of the most underrated players in the NFL, and Fast Willie went down in the Rams game.

Chuck Noll couldn't have overcome that.

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2008, 11:18 AM
1983 - 9-2 start, 1-4 finish, topped off by a 38-10 humiliation at the hands of the Raiders in a one-and-done playoff exit, and that happened under a 15-year veteran HoF-bound HC, not a 1st-year greenhorn like Tomlin was last year. I've seen a lot worse than last year.

Yep

7-4 and then lose the last 5 starting with the Thanksgiving Day "coin flip" game

5-3 and then lose 5 out of the last 6 to finish 6-10 (starting that skid with a loss at home to the1st year expansion Browns) - that season almost got Cowher fired

Tomlin had to come in and put the Cowher era out of the vets heads last season after the 2006 "victory lap" season in which the team was not ready to play until November 2006 and vets such as Faneca and Ward were bitching about the hiring decision - no doubt now who is in charge

stillers4me
07-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I was amazed we almost pulled off a comeback win over the Jags in the playoff game with what we were down to. If you look at our injury list from last year, you'll just shake your head.

Edman
07-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Don't remember those seasons? Here's a more recent example...

2006- Coming off a Super Bowl victory, the team started out 2-6, losing to the 2-14 Raiders, and getting hammered 58-7 in both blowout games versus the Ravens. And remembering how embarrassing that was.

19ward86
07-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Hopefully our wittle players dont get hurty wurty and tired this year and decide to half ass it at the end of the year. JK, from what i have heard the steelers were the only team to practice in full pads as often as they did, (which was a hell of a lot more than the next team).

redst3
07-27-2008, 01:31 PM
The 98 team was 7-5 and then went down the toilet and ended up 7-9 I think. That started with the coin flip game. The 1999 team (sorry to bring up bad memories) had a horrific melt down which spiraled into 6 straight loses. If I am not mistaken, they had been above .500.

I agree with those of you who pointed out Tomlin was establishing himself.

tony hipchest
07-27-2008, 02:01 PM
as much of a great, smart, coach i think tomlin is who has learned alot, and as much as i respect a new coach running a grueling camp to see hwat his team is made of, last year we had 5 pre-season games. this year there is 4.

i cant make more of this than what it is. its a natural trim down of practice, not an epiphany.

LVSteelersfan
07-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Tomlin hasn't proved himself to me quite yet. We struggled against inferior opponents last year and especially on the road. You have to have a good road record to win in this league. Tomlin needs to take control over Arians when the game is on the line and not let that moron lose games for us at the end. I think we lost almost all the games we lost due to Arians bad play calling late in the game and STs last year. The fact he didn't fire that ST coach frosts me to this day. He needs to be GONE. If the STs struggle early, he needs to be fired right away or it will be a LONG SEASON against the likes of Patriots, Chargers, Colts, Joshua Cribbs, etc.

STEELAMANIA
07-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I hope Tomlin gives his rookies more playing time with the starting lineups during preaseason.....Ben and Sweed need to stay after practice and connect on deep passes

STEELAMANIA
07-27-2008, 04:36 PM
For those frying Tomlin over special teams, paaaleeeeeeeeeease let up because Cowher's special teams were horrific until we had Randle-El....

Steelman16
07-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Tomlin is a bright chap. And I'm not saying that to be funny. He's seems to be extremely intelligent, which IMO, will help with whatever he's not an expert on in football, or doesn't have much experience in. He can make do with his mind, which also IMO, is one the greatest intangibles on this team. (besides Big Ben's escaping ability)

The man had 0 years of head coaching experience. Let me repeat myself, ZERO. He comes in (all blue-collar business btw) and takes over a team with a recently retired coach of 15 years. Tell me that's not hard. Then he has a team that won a super bowl 2 years prior, so the expectations are immediately very high. Rod Marinelli had a much easier job than Tomlin. (some may disagree with me on that) Tomlin has to arrive, and make a good impression the first time around, and prove that he's worthy, make a good impression on a group of somewhat skeptical players, and prove that he's worthy, all while somehow putting his foot down on how he's gonna run the ship.

I think he passed with flying colors. Granted he made mistakes at times, but he certainly didn't sink the ship either. As the title says, Tomlin is learning!

There's great things in store for the team.

Tomlin hasn't proved himself to me quite yet. We struggled against inferior opponents last year and especially on the road. You have to have a good road record to win in this league. Tomlin needs to take control over Arians when the game is on the line and not let that moron lose games for us at the end. I think we lost almost all the games we lost due to Arians bad play calling late in the game and STs last year. The fact he didn't fire that ST coach frosts me to this day. He needs to be GONE. If the STs struggle early, he needs to be fired right away or it will be a LONG SEASON against the likes of Patriots, Chargers, Colts, Joshua Cribbs, etc.

I have to disagree with your last statements. I believe consistency is the key. Give the man another year to turn it around and make it better. If he still flops in the mud, can him. Until then, sometimes a little faith from your superiors can go a long way. Obviously Tomlin thinks highly of him or he wouldn't be around still.

I'll say it again. Consistency is the key. IF he and the ST's are consistently inconsistent, then it's time for new ST leadership.

steeltheone
07-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Don't remember those seasons? Here's a more recent example...

2006- Coming off a Super Bowl victory, the team started out 2-6, losing to the 2-14 Raiders, and getting hammered 58-7 in both blowout games versus the Ravens. And remembering how embarrassing that was.

I do remember this season and we improved and almost made the playoffs...No thanks to Cowher

Black@Gold Forever32
07-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Last year I understand why he held such a tough training camp. There was a new sherriff in town and he wanted EVERYONE to know things would be different with him in charge.

He saw that it wore on the players last year and now he's going to make it easier. They all know this isn't going to be anything like Bill Cowher's Steelers anymore so he doesn't have to be as much of a hardass.

Exactly.....I understood why Tomlin was a task master at training camp last year.....He had to show the team he was the boss...But I do like he is willing to change if he thinks an easier camp will keep them fresher.....Just as long as Tomlin doesn't get to soft....

Preacher
07-27-2008, 11:49 PM
as much of a great, smart, coach i think tomlin is who has learned alot, and as much as i respect a new coach running a grueling camp to see hwat his team is made of, last year we had 5 pre-season games. this year there is 4.

i cant make more of this than what it is. its a natural trim down of practice, not an epiphany.

That would be true... except that he trimmed it down even MORE.

You're right. It isn't an epiphany... but it is learning. That is what I am excited about.

Galax Steeler
07-28-2008, 03:28 AM
I think Tomlin will do a great job this year last year wasnt bad and he learned from his mistakes last year I really look for him to do alot of things different then he did a year ago.

stlrtruck
07-28-2008, 08:28 AM
As with every coach, you expect there to be changes they make. Changes to make the team better, to make the players better, to make the coaches better, and most importantly to bring us, STEELERS NATION, another Super Bowl.

scsteeler
07-28-2008, 09:33 AM
I think you have to give any coach 5 years to show what they can do. If you base Tomlin's first year performance against Knoll and Cowher he is on schedule to perform as good or better than they did.

I don't know of any rookie coach that has come in and taken their team to a Super Bowl in the first year.

In your first year you have to gain the respect of players get rid of some that just will not buy into what you want to do and then you see the fruits of your labor. It is way too soon to condemn Tomlin on his coaching.