PDA

View Full Version : Hampton on PUP list

19ward86
07-27-2008, 06:13 PM
He failed the run test. That sucks but is pretty funny if you look at it. How do you judge a 330 lb man in a run test? lol, hope he gets in shape. We need him to be running that 4.4 in the 40.

Steelman16
07-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Um, yeah. There's a reason the man plays defensive tackle...

On the other hand...he hasn't been hangin' out with Shaun Rogers, has he? I'm not really worried about Big Snack, but he does need to stay atop his weight.

The Duke
07-27-2008, 06:27 PM
"He's overweight," Tomlin said of the 6-1 Hampton, who is listed at 325 pounds.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_579712.html

finally someone says it. I think we all noticed it last season

hopefully is for his own good, he gets in shape and the team improves

redst3
07-27-2008, 06:28 PM
That aint good....aint good at all. Casey better start "slimming down"

stillers4me
07-27-2008, 06:31 PM
He's had plenty of time since January to lose a few pounds.

On a side note, Polamalu and Kemoeatu are also on the PUP list.

http://news.steelers.com/article/92027

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Here is the story

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin placed pro bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton on the physically unable to perform (pup) list today because he could not compete the team's running tests, which is part of the physical, after reporting to training camp at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe.

Hampton, who Tomlin said was overweight, ran five of the eight required 100-yard jogs and quit. Tomlin said Hampton will remain on the pup list and will not be able to practice with his teammate until he gets in shape..

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08209/899985-100.stm

How does he get "in shape" anytime soon?

This is not what I want to read about an aging nose guard coming off a sub-par 2007, especially after these stories from mini-camp

Tomlin has been careful not to render public judgment on players who have skipped many of the voluntary practices. ... Casey Hampton has not been around for weeks, leading to speculation he might be working with a personal trainer this spring as well.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08165/889666-13.stm

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-27-2008, 06:34 PM

Yeah, that worries me more that Kemo is out. Means that Mahan will be running with the 1st team at LG probably. Troy and Hamp know their jobs.

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2008, 06:35 PM

Troy is listed as having a hamstring injury - great way to kickoff Troy's big comeback year:banging:

redst3
07-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Marinovich? Could he be causing Troy's problems? Or making them worse?

revefsreleets
07-27-2008, 06:45 PM
It's not the first time...

Oh, and Troy is doing his own thing. I say let him do his own thing. When the Steelers forced him into their regiment he got injured...

stillers4me
07-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Troy Polamalu made it through the test even though he is nursing a slight hamstring pull that will limit the strong safety Monday when the Steelers practice in the morning and in the afternoon. Guard Chris Kemoeatu may also be limited Monday as the guard is experiencing weakness in his tricep.

Tomlin said Kemoeatu, who enters camp first on the depth chart at left guard, will have his tricep examined.

With Troy and Chris, I think Tomlin is erring on the side of caution. I think he's using "tough love" on Casey. :chuckle:

xfl2001fan
07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
If I remember right, there are two PUP's. The only important one is the regular season one (that would keep players out for the first 5 or 6 weeks.)

To a lesser degree, this allows your depth to be looked at better.

Hampton should tell Coach Tomlin he's in shape. Afterall, "round" is one of the first shapes we learn!

stillers4me
07-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Hampton should tell Coach Tomlin he's in shape. Afterall, "round" is one of the first shapes we learn!

Is that a direct quote from the Brownie's coach????? :flap:

Sorry........I just couldn't help myself...............:noidea:

xfl2001fan
07-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I s that a direct quote from the Brownie's coach????? :flap:

Sorry........I just couldn't help myself...............:noidea:

Ouch, bro!!!...might be! :noidea:

Steeldude
07-27-2008, 07:23 PM
He failed the run test. That sucks but is pretty funny if you look at it. How do you judge a 330 lb man in a run test? lol, hope he gets in shape. We need him to be running that 4.4 in the 40.

i wish he was just 330.

Mosca
07-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Thing is, if Hampton can't run 8 100 yd dashes in training camp, what are his legs going to be like in the fourth quarter in week 13?

The man needs to take care of his body.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-27-2008, 07:49 PM
I dont think this starts camp out on a good note...........Hampton is a veteran, a leader on the team.........He sould have came to camp conditioned.
Its not like hes a rookie and doesnt know what is expected of himself.
Hopefully its just Tomlin sending a message to the entire team........
Geat your ass in shape........because you looked horrible the second half of the season.. (compared to the first half that is)

NV STEELERS 723
07-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Hampton must have had too many home cooked meals in Texas this offseason:pig::pig::pig::chef::chef::chef::sign11:

missedgehead
07-27-2008, 08:05 PM
I am like, Hampton, dude, you got to stay in shape. Troy being hurt....sorry to hear it. I hope he and Chris get better soon.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-27-2008, 08:06 PM
Thing is, if Hampton can't run 8 100 yd dashes in training camp, what are his legs going to be like in the fourth quarter in week 13?

The man needs to take care of his body.

I never care how many 100yd dashes a NT or O-Lineman can do. At best, they should only need to run 30yds. Realistically he needs to push a sled 10 yards 50 times in 3 hours to simulate a game.

Should be able to drop 10-15lbs over the next month or so and still be able to bench 225lbs 40 times like he can. Big Hamp will be OK.

Edman
07-27-2008, 08:23 PM
It's the beginning of the end for Casey.

What do big nose tackles do when they get older? They just get slower, weaker and more fatter. Casey has reached that point in his career. Oh well. We have Hoke, but even I don't know if he'll last much longer either.

Our Run D fell apart after years of consistency, and the O-Line...well you know the story there. Poor addressing of the Lines this draft and last is going to haunt the Steelers worse than we thought.

Mosca
07-27-2008, 08:35 PM
I never care how many 100yd dashes a NT or O-Lineman can do. At best, they should only need to run 30yds. Realistically he needs to push a sled 10 yards 50 times in 3 hours to simulate a game.

Should be able to drop 10-15lbs over the next month or so and still be able to bench 225lbs 40 times like he can. Big Hamp will be OK.

I know what you mean, but I think it's part and parcel. It isn't that he couldn't run them in a certain time; it was that he could only do five of the eight. The man is a professional athlete. Either his legs weren't up to it... or his heart and lungs weren't.

In either case, it doesn't bode well for Casey Hampton... not for his career, and not for his health.

Atlanta Dan
07-27-2008, 08:58 PM

What do big nose tackles do when they get older? They just get slower, weaker and more fatter. Casey has reached that point in his career. Oh well. We have Hoke, but even I don't know if he'll last much longer either.

Our Run D fell apart after years of consistency, and the O-Line...well you know the story there. Poor addressing of the Lines this draft and last is going to haunt the Steelers worse than we thought.

Agreed - Joel Steed went from Pro Bowl to out of the league very quickly (as did Ernie Holmes, who was a 70s version of a nose tackle) once the weight took away stamina and pounded the legs

Sounds like Hampton did not work out at all this offseason in terms of cardio - he presumably is set for life financially and may not care to pay the price anymore

First dark cloud of the season has arrived

redst3
07-27-2008, 09:16 PM
It's very disappointing for a guy to not meet physical standards when he knows what they are. Remember that Casey is a perennial pro-bowler. He's making a lot of green to let himself get into that shape.

I think we all remember what happened to Jermaine Stephens the year he couldn’t make the run.

BlastFurnace
07-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Troy is listed as having a hamstring injury - great way to kickoff Troy's big comeback year:banging:

Ever since the AFCC Championship Game at Denver, Troy has not been the same due to injuries.

I really think that his style of play, combined with his small body frame, has taken it's toll on Troy.

I worry that we have already seen the best of him.

Casey is just fat, and seems to be losing his motivation to play. Any man who can't jog 100 yards 8 times is in pretty pathetic shape and should be ashamed of himself. Especially someone who gets paid to stay in shape.

BlastFurnace
07-27-2008, 10:55 PM

Agree 110%. You hit the nail right on the head.

BlastFurnace
07-27-2008, 10:58 PM
It's very disappointing for a guy to not meet physical standards when he knows what they are. Remember that Casey is a perennial pro-bowler. He's making a lot of green to let himself get into that shape.

I think we all remember what happened to Jermaine Stephens the year he couldn’t make the run.

Yes....Where is Greg Lloyd when we need him.

Preacher
07-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Well.

Isn't this the SECOND time he has done this? WHo knows.

However, I like Tomilin's idea. Lesser practices, but still demands much.

Troy has a slight pull in a hammy. Give him a few days.. couple three weeks. He will get over it. I don't worry about Troy's mental prepardness.

Kemo--- that is a little worrisome, only because he needs reps at the position from day one.

However, like FS said... it isn't even the first practice. Give it time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-27-2008, 11:40 PM
I know what you mean, but I think it's part and parcel. It isn't that he couldn't run them in a certain time; it was that he could only do five of the eight. The man is a professional athlete. Either his legs weren't up to it... or his heart and lungs weren't.

In either case, it doesn't bode well for Casey Hampton... not for his career, and not for his health.

We all can have bad days, or can get caught spending too much time with too much good food. I agreee that Hampton needs to take care of himself as a pro and expect he will get it right.

Its a bit too early to sound the alarm bells yet for me. Got a few weeks to get it right.

paw-n-maul-u
07-27-2008, 11:41 PM
I don't know really what the last two drafts could have done to help us in terms of O and D-line. I mean really, duane brown, realllllly? We could have reached for Balmer this past draft, but is there not several mendenhall love fest threads out right now?

last year after we picked, the only D-line or O-line prospects taken were Justin Harrell right after us by GB (i dont think he did shit last year, and was considered a reach) ... or Joe Staley, which SF struck gold on, but also traded up to get, and it was like 15 picks behind us, everyone even thought that was a reach too.

Or how about passing up on Limas Sweed. Sure, we didn't address our areas of most critical need (minus hartwig addition). But heading into 2008/2009 draft, the steelers don't even need to take a sniff at any TE,'s, RB's (kevin jones wtf?!), WR's, QB's or LB's (well, maybe an inside LB, and holy hell are there tons of badass 1st round ILB's) ... or kicker or punter, I mean pretty much next year we are going to see a slew of O lineman (and its another good year for them) as well as D-lineman and maybe a DC or two.

Our defense was still numero uno, And we have tons of bodies on the offensive line, might be patchwork, but it was also first year under new offensive scheme. If healthy, the steelers D-line, with hampton (fat or real fat), is still top ten.

Steel Pit
07-27-2008, 11:41 PM

I agree but I believe that the Casey Hampton demise began approximately 1 1/2 seasons ago. But of course, that's just my opinion and I'm sure that "certain forum members" will ONCE AGAIN, tell me that our defensive linemen are some of the best in the business and that I don't know what I'm talking about.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-27-2008, 11:43 PM

What do big nose tackles do when they get older? They just get slower, weaker and more fatter. Casey has reached that point in his career. .

Yeah, just look at Ted Washington and Sam Adams. :wink02:

BlastFurnace
07-27-2008, 11:49 PM
I agree but I believe that the Casey Hampton demise began approximately 1 1/2 seasons ago. But of course, that's just my opinion and I'm sure that "certain forum members" will ONCE AGAIN, tell me that our defensive linemen are some of the best in the business and that I don't know what I'm talking about.

No. You're exactly right. I think Casey's demise started in Bill's last season. Our defensive line is getting up in age and has no depth whatsoever. Last season made it as clear as day.

Preacher
07-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Well...

It seems we are set at pretty much every other position now... except for POSSIBLY CB.... but even that looks somewhat deep right now.

So this coming draft... we look for an O and D line.

Of course, that is what we thought this year.

BUt then again, they all were gone.

I do think it may be time to go poaching in FA for a OL or DL player.

Galax Steeler
07-28-2008, 04:34 AM
I don't understand this how Hampton shows up over weight and cant pass a test as long as he has been doing it he should know what is expected of him.

Lord Stiller
07-28-2008, 08:18 AM
fat boy on a diet, don't try it

i'll jack your a$$ like a looter in a riot

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-28-2008, 09:06 AM

But lets be fair....Stephens NEVER produced like Casey....he was a bust from day 1.....apples & oranges.

St33lersguy
07-28-2008, 10:04 AM
This is perfect. Going into a season where they have perhaps the toughest schedule ever with a weak DL and OL and Casey, Troy(!!!), and Chris K.(who will now lose time to try to make up for Faneca's loss) are on the PUP list. Is there any DTs left in FA. Worse yet who's gonna replace Casey, theres hardly anyone to replace him because the DL lacks depth and the Steelers goofed off during the entire offseason. What about guard, they already waived good bye to faneca and now another guard is injured. Who's gonna fill this void. They didn't get a guard this offseason, what's their option now. Is there any guards left in FA? Hopefully next offseason the steelers take the offseason seriously and fix and OL and DL because this year they blew it and it looks like it's going to cost them dearly. As for Troy this really looks like his career is already winding down.

BlastFurnace
07-28-2008, 10:54 AM
As for Troy this really looks like his career is already winding down.

We saw the same with Jerome with injuries his last 4 or 5 seasons, but he kept on giving it everything he had. The difference is that Jerome was big enough that his body could take the pounding and all we asked him to do was get 3-5 yards per carry.

The defense asks Troy to do a whole lot more...and we are seeing a 2.5 year trend with him now with injuries. I really want him to have a great bounce back season, but I really think his body, unlike Jerome's, is not built for the reckless style of play he plays and the nature of his position.

Troy was special for the 2004 and 2005 seasons, but since then, he has been merely average. I think these injuries have really hurt his effectiveness and I'm not sure he will get that back to the extent that we are used to.

The_WARDen
07-28-2008, 11:07 AM
No. You're exactly right. I think Casey's demise started in Bill's last season. Our defensive line is getting up in age and has no depth whatsoever. Last season made it as clear as day.

I fully understand now why they drafted a RB & WR in the 1st 2 rounds...

Lord Stiller
07-28-2008, 11:12 AM
We saw the same with Jerome with injuries his last 4 or 5 seasons, but he kept on giving it everything he had. The difference is that Jerome was big enough that his body could take the pounding and all we asked him to do was get 3-5 yards per carry.

The defense asks Troy to do a whole lot more...and we are seeing a 2.5 year trend with him now with injuries. I really want him to have a great bounce back season, but I really think his body, unlike Jerome's, is not built for the reckless style of play he plays and the nature of his position.

Troy was special for the 2004 and 2005 seasons, but since then, he has been merely average. I think these injuries have really hurt his effectiveness and I'm not sure he will get that back to the extent that we are used to.

I wouldn't give up on Troy yet.

He has a great work ethic.

And he's on the PUP for a minor hamstring pull

xfl2001fan
07-28-2008, 11:13 AM

Keep in mind that the Steelers have been going with "Best Available Player" for quite some time now. That they have been consistently successful for so long is a testament to their scouting department/draft team for putting together some pretty good boards.

Maybe the couldn't find anyone that they felt matched the Steelers mentality.

BlastFurnace
07-28-2008, 11:13 AM

I don't have a problem with their #1 and 2 picks because of the tremendous value of what they got there. These were two guys they just could not pass up whatsoever.

My problem with their draft was from the 3rd to the 5th round. DL should have been addressed there. Not every good DL in a 3-4 scheme is highly touted coming out of college. I'm convinced they could have found someone to add quality depth in either 1 or 2 of these picks.

BlastFurnace
07-28-2008, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't give up on Troy yet.

He has a great work ethic.

And he's on the PUP for a minor hamstring pull

I haven't given up on him. I'm just wondering if the truth is right before our eyes. This is a big year for Troy...not for a salary perspective...but to regain his 2004-5 form or something close to it.

MDSteel15
07-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Just seen it on ESPN that he was placed on the PUP this morning. :popcorn:

xfl2001fan
07-28-2008, 11:22 AM
I think this has been attached with a few other posts bro, though not headlined like you have it.

***************EDIT***************
Now that his thread has been attached to this one, my post looks really silly.

The_WARDen
07-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Keep in mind that the Steelers have been going with "Best Available Player" for quite some time now. That they have been consistently successful for so long is a testament to their scouting department/draft team for putting together some pretty good boards.

Maybe the couldn't find anyone that they felt matched the Steelers mentality.

I might buy that maybe there wasn't someone slated as a #1 or #2 rounder for D-line..I highly doubt they couldn't find someone of worth there but for the sake of argument, I'll concede that point.

However, no one can tell me that in the entire draft there were no DL worth drafting even for depth.

They keep ignoring the lines and it will show at some point this season.

xfl2001fan
07-28-2008, 11:34 AM
I might buy that maybe there wasn't someone slated as a #1 or #2 rounder for D-line..I highly doubt they couldn't find someone of worth there but for the sake of argument, I'll concede that point.

However, no one can tell me that in the entire draft there were no DL worth drafting even for depth.

They keep ignoring the lines and it will show at some point this season.

No doubt. I think that's been one thing Browns fans have been quite happy about is the Steelers lack of "line" drafting. If not this season, then early next season it could prove to be very dangerous to your team.

For all that Steelers have been bashing the trades the Browns made this offseason, at least we can say that we've made an attempt to improve our lines these last few years. (Granted, some of those attempts have been utter failures...)

Still, even with the lack of movement, I still find it hard to question your FO.

redst3
07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
But lets be fair....Stephens NEVER produced like Casey....he was a bust from day 1.....apples & oranges.

Point well taken. You are right no doubt, but we all know professional sports are always about today and tomorrow.

PalmerSteel
07-28-2008, 11:52 AM
to all the "optimists", it dont matter if its "just a slight pull" or "he's only a d-lineman", these are concerns of 2 of our top 3 D captains from last year. troy was in cali offseason to help prevent these things. so far, not good. hampton has probably always ran these and now he cant? sounds like he is more out of shape than ever AND older. still takes stamina to do what has made him great in the past. not good. i just hope this is a wake up call and it wont affect us later. we need these guys.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I haven't given up on him. I'm just wondering if the truth is right before our eyes. This is a big year for Troy...not for a salary perspective...but to regain his 2004-5 form or something close to it.

Yeah, hamstring's can become chronic and the key is strength and flexibility, which i think Troy has taken care of. No big deal there.

Kemo's tricep is more of a concern to me. If he misses a lot of time in the preseason he could end up losing the job to Mahan or Stapleton.

tony hipchest
07-28-2008, 12:08 PM
good to see hampton taking this matter seriously.... :rolleyes:

http://postgazette.com/pg/08210/900038-66.stm

[tomlin: ]"Hopefully, it doesn't [take him long] but I'm sure he won't wake up tomorrow and be ready to go. He has to go through a process and we've got to take him through that process. We'll just live day to day with it until he's at an acceptable level of conditioning and weight."

Hampton, laughing, said he hopes it takes him "the whole month" to return, and said he might be fresher for it at the start of the season.

"Everybody knows I don't like the run test anyway, so it doesn't matter."

"I could be in better shape," said Hampton, who the Steelers officially list on their roster at 325 pounds. "But my thing is the only way you can get into football shape is to play football. You can do all the running you want, know what I mean? You can have a guy do the run test and be the best run-test guy and he can't play football, so it doesn't matter."

BlastFurnace
07-28-2008, 12:14 PM
good to see hampton taking this matter seriously.... :rolleyes:

http://postgazette.com/pg/08210/900038-66.stm

All will be forgiven if he stuffs the Center on a regular basis this season.

Like the run test or not though.....8 times jogging 100 yards should be easy for any professional athlete. Right now, from all reports, he's in pathetic shape and should be embarrassed.

fansince'76
07-28-2008, 12:15 PM
to all the "optimists".....

Sorry, ain't seen many of those in this thread....

Mosca
07-28-2008, 12:24 PM
This is perfect. Going into a season where they have perhaps the toughest schedule ever with a weak DL and OL and Casey, Troy(!!!), and Chris K.(who will now lose time to try to make up for Faneca's loss) are on the PUP list. Is there any DTs left in FA. Worse yet who's gonna replace Casey, theres hardly anyone to replace him because the DL lacks depth and the Steelers goofed off during the entire offseason. What about guard, they already waived good bye to faneca and now another guard is injured. Who's gonna fill this void. They didn't get a guard this offseason, what's their option now. Is there any guards left in FA? Hopefully next offseason the steelers take the offseason seriously and fix and OL and DL because this year they blew it and it looks like it's going to cost them dearly. As for Troy this really looks like his career is already winding down.

Geez, quit panicking! You never know who is going to step up and take advantage of the opportunity presented when a guy goes down. Sure, maybe no one; but, maybe someone, too. Let's see. The same drama is going down in 31 other training camps, after all.

The Duke
07-28-2008, 12:27 PM
"Everybody knows I don't like the run test anyway, so it doesn't matter."

actually, it does matter!! :dang:

rbryan
07-28-2008, 12:28 PM
OK, I'll be an optimist. You think the pattycakes are worked up over half thier team being placed on the PUP??? I doubt it.

Being placed on PUP is as much a reward for these guys as anything since it means they get to miss some time in the hot sun the next few weeks. Not to mention a sneaky way to get a few more body's into camp...which is pretty much Dirty Bills angle in NE. Hard to put a positive spin on Casey Hampton's situation, but I think we've seen the writing on the wall with him the past few years.

revefsreleets
07-28-2008, 12:40 PM
Casey takes the run test every year, and he failed it a few years ago. I'm not ready to throw him a retirement party just yet...I think he's still got several good solid productive years in him.

And Troy will be fine...if you watched that piece on him form the NFL Network, the dude does all sorts of crazy exercises, things that I wouldn't even try, and I think he'll be in the best shape of his life this year.

STEELAMANIA
07-28-2008, 01:10 PM
Mighty Casey is just one player.......anyone can be replaced in this league.....um...maybe....

xfl2001fan
07-28-2008, 01:58 PM
All will be forgiven if he stuffs the Center on a regular basis this season.

Like the run test or not though.....8 times jogging 100 yards should be easy for any professional athlete. Right now, from all reports, he's in pathetic shape and should be embarrassed.

Because you can push 325 pounds at a timed pace for 100 yards 8 times?

I'm not sure when he'll need to run 100 yards 8 times in a CAREER, let alone during a single practice.

I always thought the NT job during a game was to take on a 300 pounder or two/three and push them when possible, but keep them from pushing him. His job is to free up the linebackers so that they can make plays.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

BlastFurnace
07-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Because you can push 325 pounds at a timed pace for 100 yards 8 times?

I'm not sure when he'll need to run 100 yards 8 times in a CAREER, let alone during a single practice.

I always thought the NT job during a game was to take on a 300 pounder or two/three and push them when possible, but keep them from pushing him. His job is to free up the linebackers so that they can make plays.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

I'm not buying it. He will still need cariovascular endurance to play. Besides, they asked him to jog, not sprint. He should be able to do that easily.

xfl2001fan
07-28-2008, 02:25 PM
They're timed runs.

It's not easy pushing extra weight around. Back in January, I was pushing upwards of 260 lbs. I'm down to 225 now and it's much much easier for me to make the runs like I'm supposed to. I can't imaging adding 100 pounds to my frame and moving it, no matter how much of that 100 pounds is muscle mass.

I am a Soldier and have to do a timed run on a regular basis. I am not required to sprint the distance asked of me. I don't know what the pace is for Hampton, but I somehow doubt it's as slow a jog as you seem to be implying.

SteelerFanInCA
07-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Casey knows what he needs to do. I'm sure he will get himself ready for the season.

Hopefully he takes his conditoning and diet seriously over the next few weeks.

St33lersguy
07-28-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't have a problem with their #1 and 2 picks because of the tremendous value of what they got there. These were two guys they just could not pass up whatsoever.

My problem with their draft was from the 3rd to the 5th round. DL should have been addressed there. Not every good DL in a 3-4 scheme is highly touted coming out of college. I'm convinced they could have found someone to add quality depth in either 1 or 2 of these picks.

The 4th rounder was an OL, you have a problem with that. I want to know why they didn't trade up in the 1st round to get an OL when they off the board fast. The only picks I'm OK with are the 2nd (do you really want Nate Washington as your 3rd best reciever?) and 4th round.

fansince'76
07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
I want to know why they didn't trade up in the 1st round to get an OL when they off the board fast.

Because it would have cost them too much and would have been completely foolish to do so. Trade up from #23 to #15 to get Albert? And I say Albert because he was the last OL that went in the first that was actually worth the pick - Cherilus, Otah and Baker were all reaches at #17, #19, and #21, respectively. You realize how many years that would have handcuffed this organization personnel-wise? No thank you.

rbryan
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I respectfully disagree. Was it foolish to trade up and get Trop P a few years back? How about Santonio? The most glaring need was OL/DL and neither was addressed. I still laugh when I hear people talk about the OL/DL prospects that we passed on in rounds 3-7 like they had no shot of making the team. How do you expect to fill up a 53 man roster without players drafted in those rounds????

I've heard people say they loved Dixon at 5 because its a wasted pick to begin with??? How do you figure a #5 is a longshot??? Half the Patriots OL were later round picks. You gotta start somewhere when you have that much catching up to do. Now we're another year further behind on getting the lines rebuilt.

BlastFurnace
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
The 4th rounder was an OL, you have a problem with that. I want to know why they didn't trade up in the 1st round to get an OL when they off the board fast. The only picks I'm OK with are the 2nd (do you really want Nate Washington as your 3rd best reciever?) and 4th round.

My problem with the 4th rounder was not that he was an OL, it was that Hills is coming off an injury that may hamper him this year. Going OL in the 4th wasn't a bad choice, it was the person they drafted I feel that was the bad choice.

fansince'76
07-28-2008, 03:32 PM
I respectfully disagree. Was it foolish to trade up and get Trop P a few years back? How about Santonio? The most glaring need was OL/DL and neither was addressed. I still laugh when I hear people talk about the OL/DL prospects that we passed on in rounds 3-7 like they had no shot of making the team. How do you expect to fill up a 53 man roster without players drafted in those rounds????

Wasn't talking about rounds 3-7, was talking about the first. How many players, which players and/or how many future draft picks would you have been willing to sacrifice to move up in the 1st?

rbryan
07-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Thats why I referenced Troy and Santonio. We traded up from similar spots to pick both of them in the first round.

revefsreleets
07-28-2008, 03:48 PM
I didn't know Hampton was excused from the run test last year...wonder why that might be...

Perhaps he wasn't in shape for that one either, and that makes some of our concern much ado about nothing?

I for one am very happy that we didn't trade up for an DL/OL. To go as high as we'd have needed to go we'd have had to pay too dearly. Look at what the Browns paid last year (They had no picks until Rd 4 this year), and the guy they got didn't even play. Look at what the Jags gave up to move up to get Derrick Harvey (4 picks). It's usually just not worth it to move up.

Michael Keller
07-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Ever since the AFCC Championship Game at Denver, Troy has not been the same due to injuries.

I really think that his style of play, combined with his small body frame, has taken it's toll on Troy.

I worry that we have already seen the best of him.

Casey is just fat, and seems to be losing his motivation to play. Any man who can't jog 100 yards 8 times is in pretty pathetic shape and should be ashamed of himself. Especially someone who gets paid to stay in shape.

Blast Furnace

I sure hope you are wrong on Troy but I have considered the same possibilities as you shared. That would be ashame as he is the player that makes a difference in the out come of a game. We will know very soon.

You are 110 percent right on Casy . He should be ashamed of himself and this really pisses me off. Most of our guys have worked very hard to be in shape. 8 100 yard dashes is not at all that hard to do.

Good for Tomlin and that is the good news . He can call out an all pro . I like it.

Preacher
07-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I OFFICIALLY DUB THIS.....................

THE CHICKEN LITTLE THREAD

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/sky-is-falling.jpg

rbryan
07-28-2008, 03:59 PM
If Tomlin wanted to send a message I don't think giving him more time off from training camp is the answer. I'd have him running gassers all day. Last I checked he's being paid miliion$ to keep in shape.

Lord Stiller
07-28-2008, 04:12 PM
I OFFICIALLY DUB THIS.....................

THE CHICKEN LITTLE THREAD

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/sky-is-falling.jpg

ROTFLMFAO :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

can you dub the 'down time' thread with this too?

steelreserve
07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
LOL, our big fat guy got too fat.

Michael Keller
07-28-2008, 05:08 PM
If Tomlin wanted to send a message I don't think giving him more time off from training camp is the answer. I'd have him running gassers all day. Last I checked he's being paid miliion$ to keep in shape.

I am sure he's not sitting in a Sauna . They are going to get his fat ass in better shape then put the pads on him. He is probably a risk to himself in every physical way.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-28-2008, 05:21 PM
LOL, our big fat guy got too fat.

:rofl:

rbryan
07-28-2008, 05:21 PM
They just showed some footage of him from yesterday on Jim Rome, who was ragging on him today as well. CH is so fat he can barely walk. Not good......not good at all

Preacher
07-28-2008, 05:35 PM
They just showed some footage of him from yesterday on Jim Rome, who was ragging on him today as well. CH is so fat he can barely walk. Not good......not good at all

You're kidding me....

:pity:

Preacher
07-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Hey...

They think he will just be a few days out... and then will be ok.

Atlanta Dan
07-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Hey...

They think he will just be a few days out... and then will be ok.

I hear it takes longer than that to recover from gastric bypass surgery:chuckle:

Preacher
07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
I hear it takes longer than that to recover from gastric bypass surgery:chuckle:

:buttkick:

:chuckle:

revefsreleets
07-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Hampton always looks like he can barely walk.

The Duke
07-28-2008, 06:03 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080727/capt.01d5d4de8508425c8c9c6bf4a5535619.steelers_cam p_football_paks102.jpg

looking good casey!

revefsreleets
07-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Those pillows and that comforter are probably stuffed with cotton candy.

The Duke
07-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Those pillows and that comforter are probably stuffed with cotton candy.

:sofunny:

they don't call him big snack for nothing

Preacher
07-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Well...

they always say that a 3-4 NG is supposed to be a 2-gap man...

He was just overachieving... trying to be a 3-gap man!

CantStop85
07-28-2008, 06:22 PM
If you guys need a new defensive tackle, our fullback followed the Casey Hampton diet regimen and is closing in on 300 pounds...by the end of training camp I'm sure he could make nose tackle weight.

The Duke
07-28-2008, 06:23 PM
If you guys need a new defensive tackle, our fullback followed the Casey Hampton diet regimen and is closing in on 300 pounds...by the end of training camp I'm sure he could make nose tackle weight.

a fullback at 300 pounds??

who is that, jeremi johnson right?

Preacher
07-28-2008, 07:39 PM

Now..

if he can run in the mid 4's with that weight...

WOW.

That would be scary.

HometownGal
07-28-2008, 09:35 PM
C'mon..... would you wanna try to run through a guy who looks like this???

Hellllll noooooo! One of his arms is bigger than my entire body! :horror:

St33lersguy
07-28-2008, 09:48 PM
Because it would have cost them too much and would have been completely foolish to do so. Trade up from #23 to #15 to get Albert? And I say Albert because he was the last OL that went in the first that was actually worth the pick - Cherilus, Otah and Baker were all reaches at #17, #19, and #21, respectively. You realize how many years that would have handcuffed this organization personnel-wise? No thank you.

Foolish? Handcuffed the organization personel wise? Question, did trading up for Santonio and Polomalu handcuff the organization personel wise. Another question what was going through your your mind when they made those trades "Oh no they traded up they gave up way too much, this is bad" or "Yes they adressed a need to help the team out in areas that need help." Do you want Ben to get sacked so many times that he's on IR before season's end. What gets a running game going?? A good OL. What's more important keeping draft picks so they can draft players outside of position of need or fixing an extremely vital position that sucked last year.
P.S. When they traded for Troy in '03 they jumped from #27 to #16.

fansince'76
07-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Foolish? Handcuffed the organization personel wise? Question, did trading up for Santonio and Polomalu handcuff the organization personel wise. Another question what was going through your your mind when they made those trades "Oh no they traded up they gave up way too much, this is bad" or "Yes they adressed a need to help the team out in areas that need help." Do you want Ben to get sacked so many times that he's on IR before season's end. What gets a running game going?? A good OL. What's more important keeping draft picks so they can draft players outside of position of need or fixing an extremely vital position that sucked last year.
P.S. When they traded for Troy in '03 they jumped from #27 to #16.

Like I said, how much would you have been willing to give up to move up, and do you think entire OLs and DLs are rebuilt in one draft?

billybob
07-28-2008, 09:55 PM

If he could block two at a time,why not three?I like Casey,he is something that offenses have to plan for. I think it is more along the lines of disciplinary action.Do you think our line would be the same without the "big snack"?

rbryan
07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080727/capt.01d5d4de8508425c8c9c6bf4a5535619.steelers_cam p_football_paks102.jpg

looking good casey!

He actually doesn't look that bad in this pic. The footage of him walking made it look a lot worse. In this shot the banket & pillows are hiding a whole lotta Casey....lol Dudes gotta have the biggest arms of anyone on the team though.

rbryan
07-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Like I said, how much would you have been willing to give up to move up, and do you think entire OLs and DLs are rebuilt in one draft?

I agree a 100% on the not being able to do it in one draft. In my mind thats all the more reason to not ignore it this year. But what do I know, maybe we have 3 or 4 pro bowlers just waiting to bust out.....that would be nice.

fansince'76
07-28-2008, 10:18 PM
I agree a 100% on the not being able to do it in one draft. In my mind thats all the more reason to not ignore it this year. But what do I know, maybe we have 3 or 4 pro bowlers just waiting to bust out.....that would be nice.

I wanted Albert in the worst way, but it just wasn't to be - I would be more worried if we gave up later round picks or even picks out of next year's draft to move up and get one guy when we have multiple holes to fill. And I truly do hope that next year they draft OL and DL heavy. In the meantime, I hope the starting OL is settled on a lot earlier in TC this year, and in turn gels and plays better, Aaron Smith stays healthy and that what I've been reading lately about McBean "coming along nicely" isn't just a bunch of hooey. :hope:

billybob
07-29-2008, 12:00 AM
He actually doesn't look that bad in this pic. The footage of him walking made it look a lot worse. In this shot the banket & pillows are hiding a whole lotta Casey....lol Dudes gotta have the biggest arms of anyone on the team though.

Thats cuz he is sided by blankets and pillows!!!! lol put him on the o-line

billybob
07-29-2008, 12:02 AM

Who is the little guy behind him?

Steelman16
07-29-2008, 02:09 AM
Who is the little guy behind him?

That can't be Farrior? Kinda looks like him, but I'm no expert on what these dudes look like in street clothes. Though, anybody with coke bottle glasses could spot Big Snack a mile away...sure glad that tub of lard plays for the Steelers!

To the person who said our D-line wouldn't be the same without Hampton, you're right. But, that doesn't mean we won't find another solid keystone to anchor our line for years to come. Hampton is on the outside edge, still a great player, but not much milage left. This upcoming draft and FA time will be critical IMO in securing the big men we need for the present and the future.

St33lersguy
07-29-2008, 07:55 AM

I'm not talking about rebuilding it, but get players at that position makimg it stronger so it is not a weakness. I would settle for 1-2 picks this year and 1-2 the next year. It's not like they needed all those picks anyway. Their needs were OL, DL, and maybe WR considering the players they had pre-draft.

k7brown
07-29-2008, 08:27 AM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080728/capt.6aa28382c2124cada0e3c05d6f9f4556.steelers_cam p_footballl_paks108.jpg

fansince'76
07-29-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm not talking about rebuilding it, but get players at that position makimg it stronger so it is not a weakness. I would settle for 1-2 picks this year and 1-2 the next year. It's not like they needed all those picks anyway. Their needs were OL, DL, and maybe WR considering the players they had pre-draft.

I agree that we need to address both trenches sooner rather than later. I'm slowly warming up to the Mendenhall and Sweed picks (still not liking the Dixon pick - I still see Kordell the 2nd with this one), even though I also feel our OL and DL were much bigger needs, but I'd rather take BPA than reach in the higher rounds.

St33lersguy
07-29-2008, 08:58 AM
but I'd rather take BPA than reach in the higher rounds.

You would take BPA if the BPA was QB and TE?

fansince'76
07-29-2008, 09:02 AM
You would take BPA if the BPA was QB and TE?

In the first round, if it was a choice between taking the BPA in a QB or TE or filling a position of need with a guy who grades out as 3rd or 4th round talent, yes. Nothing says you can't then turn around and trade them to someone else who has a need at that position for more draft picks (and in the case of QB, I'd say that applies to 24 or 25 teams in the league). IMO, that's better than trading up in the first for a higher pick and in the process trading away picks.

SteelMember
07-29-2008, 09:31 AM

If you put this guy on a diet, opposing O-linemen will have to start wearing long sleeves or Casey might put a M. Tyson on 'em.:chef:

For some reason, I think he needs external motivation to run. Now that he's in camp and around his coaches and team mates exclusively, he'll drop the weight.

CantStop85
07-29-2008, 11:40 AM
a fullback at 300 pounds??

who is that, jeremi johnson right?

I kid not...and yes that's the guy.

GEORGETOWN, Ky. — Bengals fullback Jeremi Johnson isn't battling for a starting job. He's fighting for a roster spot.

The reason is Johnson's ballooning waistline. He's listed at 270 pounds. The conservative estimate is 300-plus. He won't practice until he gets his weight under control.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-29-2008, 02:31 PM
That aint good....aint good at all. Casey better start "slimming down"

He should know it takes longer to get into shape the older you get. Proof that money doesn't motivate.

Wonder how the Jacksonville offensive linemen are doing Casey?

steelreserve
07-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes....Where is Greg Lloyd when we need him.

Doing karate, duh. They need him there too.

BlastFurnace
07-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Doing karate, duh. They need him there too.

Lloyd was the one who counted Stephens out when he collapsed at the end of the one of the 40 yard dashes. Did you forget that?

The Duke
07-29-2008, 05:57 PM
I kid not...and yes that's the guy.

GEORGETOWN, Ky. — Bengals fullback Jeremi Johnson isn't battling for a starting job. He's fighting for a roster spot.

The reason is Johnson's ballooning waistline. He's listed at 270 pounds. The conservative estimate is 300-plus. He won't practice until he gets his weight under control.

unbelievable!!

if he is't in shape by now he'll never be this season. at least casey is a lineman, there is a slight chance they get overweight, but a fullback? crazy

I bet they cut him, leaving only 2 johnsons in the bungles :flap:

CantStop85
07-29-2008, 07:36 PM
unbelievable!!

if he is't in shape by now he'll never be this season. at least casey is a lineman, there is a slight chance they get overweight, but a fullback? crazy

I bet they cut him, leaving only 2 johnsons in the bungles :flap:

Luckily we picked up Brandon Johnson and James Johnson this offseason! :flap:

The Duke
07-29-2008, 07:49 PM

:shake01:

bengals....

:chuckle:

Steel Pit
07-29-2008, 11:46 PM

What about your avatar? We'll take that dude. What do you want for him?

tony hipchest
07-29-2008, 11:53 PM

:tt03:......:toofunny:....:tt02:

Steel Pit
07-29-2008, 11:55 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080728/capt.6aa28382c2124cada0e3c05d6f9f4556.steelers_cam p_footballl_paks108.jpg

Casey looks pitiful. That picture is downright disgusting. It's very disturbing to think that a multi-million dollar athlete would let himself sink so low. As Gomer Pyle would say, "Shame! Shame! Shame!"

Prior to the run test, the Steelers should have done something similar to what they do at the dog racing tracks. Instead of putting a rabbit on a moving pole, the Steelers should have attached a sack of Big Mac's on the pole and let Casey chase after them.

Preacher
07-29-2008, 11:58 PM

:laughing:

HometownGal
07-30-2008, 07:11 AM

With the Bungles, everyone is a johnson. :chuckle:

revefsreleets
07-30-2008, 10:06 AM
With the Bungles, everyone is a johnson. :chuckle:

And they do TV interviews in silouhette, to hide their faces:

"'John' Johnson, embarrassed to be a Bengal, didn't want us to show his face or give his real name in this interview...and who can blame him?"

Lord Stiller
07-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey! Hey! Hey!

I'm Casey Hampton

http://www.pitt.edu/~bdc10/drivers/albert.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Actually, the first day report by Vrabinec in the training camp section was great

Here we go, in chronological order, just like I saw it and thought it:

- I see Casey Hampton in a tee shirt. I try real hard not to exaggerate, but anyone who has seen the movie “Wildcats” should picture Finch, and you will know how freakin’ fat he is. He’s got the thunder thighs and spindly calves, so that his knees are pushed together like a fat chick at the mall. His jowls are handing down from his face, and I swear, even his eyelids are fat. Not happy with the first thing I see in camp.

Mosca
07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Here we go, in chronological order, just like I saw it and thought it:

- I see Casey Hampton in a tee shirt. I try real hard not to exaggerate, but anyone who has seen the movie “Wildcats” should picture Finch, and you will know how freakin’ fat he is. He’s got the thunder thighs and spindly calves, so that his knees are pushed together like a fat chick at the mall. His jowls are handing down from his face, and I swear, even his eyelids are fat. Not happy with the first thing I see in camp.

TAB THACKER Died Dec. 27, 2007

"College wrestling champ turned actor Tab Thacker died at age 45 of complications from diabetes. Mr. Thacker won the 1984 NCAA wrestling championship when he attended North Carolina State University. He was not allowed to compete in the 1984 Olympics due to his weight, even though he beat the Russian national champion that same year. Mr. Thacker played Officer 'House' Conklin in two of the "Police Academy" movies. He was one of Goldie Hawn's football players in "Wildcats." Other credits include "City Heat" and "Identity Crisis.""

SteelersJW
07-30-2008, 03:10 PM
I was at Steelers Camp yesturday and got to see Big Snack working it out on the treadmill. There is absolutely no way Casey's 325 lbs as listed on the roster. He's got to be over 350.

I don't care if he's a nose tackle, you can't be overweight and think it's no big deal. He's acting like he should get special treatment just because he's Casey Hampton. I'm glad Tomlin put his foot down and put him on the PUP list.

redst3
07-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Besides the fact that I am Poed as a fan of Casey's and the Steelers, and can't see how a guy making all that $$$ can let himself get like that, it upsets me to see a person let themselves go like that. It’s the mark of something being wrong emotionally/mentally.

This was a Pro-Bowl guy turned into a Buttered Popcorn Bowl guy….

redst3
07-30-2008, 03:25 PM
Casey looks pitiful. That picture is downright disgusting. It's very disturbing to think that a multi-million dollar athlete would let himself sink so low. As Gomer Pyle would say, "Shame! Shame! Shame!"

Prior to the run test, the Steelers should have done something similar to what they do at the dog racing tracks. Instead of putting a rabbit on a moving pole, the Steelers should have attached a sack of Big Mac's on the pole and let Casey chase after them.

:rofl:

Lord Stiller
07-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I was at Steelers Camp yesturday and got to see Big Snack working it out on the treadmill. There is absolutely no way Casey's 325 lbs as listed on the roster. He's got to be over 350.

he weighed in at 365

steelreserve
07-30-2008, 06:03 PM
You know, this whole thing could've been a lot worse. What if Hampton tore his ACL and Sepulveda showed up weighing almost 400 pounds? While that would be much funnier, our team would also suffer more.

stillers4me
07-30-2008, 06:07 PM
You know, this whole thing could've been a lot worse. What if Hampton tore his ACL and Sepulveda showed up weighing almost 400 pounds? While that would be much funnier, our team would also suffer more.

:yikes:

Dino 6 Rings
07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
I'm very dissapointed. I mean, really, you KNOW in the off season that the first thing you are going to have to do is run 100 yard "Sprints" which aren't really Drill Sargent on your butt sprints, just jog faster than normal for 100 yards 8 times. WTF is wrong that this guy wouldn't at least get his sorry butt up on a treadmill and get into "pass the run test" shape. Seriously. After that, he lines up and runs plays.

Mother Effing Lord...I can't stand Slackers and right now, I toss Hampton Right into the SLACKER SHACK! Where he will be fed Lettuce Onions and no Seseme Seed buns. Professionals don't allow themselves to NOT be ready to play come the first week of August. Honestly. This Sickens me. He better whip himself into shape asap!

St33lersguy
07-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey! Hey! Hey!

I'm Casey Hampton

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Steel Pit
07-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Hey! Hey! Hey!

I'm Casey Hampton

Great posting, Lmao. :thumbsup:

Atlanta Dan
08-04-2008, 11:49 AM
This from Peter King's MMQB today

I think I have no idea what Casey Hampton weighs, but when I saw him at Steelers camp last week, he looked like one of the heaviest players I've ever seen at an NFL camp. Hampton's on the Physically Unable to Perform List because of his weight and conditioning, and Mike Tomlin's peeved about it. No matter how important the nose man is to Pittsburgh's defense, and no matter how good Hampton's been for them, Tomlin will sit Hampton if he has to

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/08/03/mmqb/4.html

Wonder if Big Snack came in >400 pounds?

OneForTheToe
08-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Or if Ben had showed up at 400 pounds and Casey had dropped to 175. Now that would be a something to behold.

DACEB
08-04-2008, 01:18 PM
This is a big problem, and Big Snacks attitude sucks. First off, it is HIS job as a pro to keep himself in atleast semi-pro shape yearround. Second, maybe this attitude is why his play has dropped off as well.

Anyone that has ever had to drop weight quickly knows that you usually lose muscle as well as fat, because you're most likely taking in less calories. So for anyone to think that this guy, who does'nt even have the dicipline to maintain his weight, can successfully lose weight while maintaining his strength is insane.

Again, this is a big problem. At least Tomlin is taking a stand on the situation. Casey, you've let me down big time. I was really looking forward to a great year from him after a somewhat down year last season. Well, it's off to a slow start, waddle off those pounds Casey you fat ass.

Mosca
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
This from Peter King's MMQB today

I think I have no idea what Casey Hampton weighs, but when I saw him at Steelers camp last week, he looked like one of the heaviest players I've ever seen at an NFL camp. Hampton's on the Physically Unable to Perform List because of his weight and conditioning, and Mike Tomlin's peeved about it. No matter how important the nose man is to Pittsburgh's defense, and no matter how good Hampton's been for them, Tomlin will sit Hampton if he has to

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/08/03/mmqb/4.html

Wonder if Big Snack came in >400 pounds?

Dan, I guess he's about 425. He wasn't walking, he was waddling; and he wasn't running on the far field while the rest of the team practiced, but walking about 20 yards and stopping to rest. And he limped as he waddled.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/trainingcamp075.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/trainingcamp173.jpg

tony hipchest
08-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Wonder if Big Snack came in >400 pounds?last week, when sirius boradcasted from latrobe, tim ryan stated with authority that casey repoted to camp at 370 lbs. im thinking he spoke to someone who knew something off the air, as thats the 1st guess or quote ive heard from the media.

This is a big problem, and Big Snacks attitude sucks. First off, it is HIS job as a pro to keep himself in atleast semi-pro shape yearround. Second, maybe this attitude is why his play has dropped off as well.

Again, this is a big problem. At least Tomlin is taking a stand on the situation. Casey, you've let me down big time. I was really looking forward to a great year from him after a somewhat down year last season. Well, it's off to a slow start, waddle off those pounds Casey you fat ass.

what really sucks is when porter was released last season, there was a lengthy discussion on this board of who would become the new defensive leader. hampton seemed to be the top candidate. but the comparrison to Finch from "wildcats" seems perfect, not only in size but leadership quality. hes just the fat fun guy. theres probably 10 other players on the unit more capable to lead, plus several back-ups (hoke).

me thinks hampton sees all the fat contracts all the other d-linemen are getting around the league and perhaps thinking he is now underpaid. after all, his merits speak for themselves as the anchor of one of the best defenses in the league. his once huge contract is now just mediocre, and it was so front loaded he actually gets cheaper as the years go on (i think he only costs $6 mil in his final year).

while not as vocal (yet) his actions (or lack of) are reminding me of faneca. i wonder how receptive he is to a trade after 08. teams like the browns seem willing to give up a ransom for a player like him. the cowboys would absolutely love him, and he would love to go back to texas i bet.

food for thought. (no pun intended)

stlrtruck
08-04-2008, 02:28 PM
while not as vocal (yet) his actions (or lack of) are reminding me of faneca. i wonder how receptive he is to a trade after 08. teams like the browns seem willing to give up a ransom for a player like him. the cowboys would absolutely love him, and he would love to go back to texas i bet.

food for thought. (no pun intended)

Why wait until after the 08 season? Let's pick up a few draft picks now for his over priced arse.

I'm tired of players going to camp with the "woosie me" mentality because their 7 figures a year salary just got dumped out of the top 5 for their position because some other player whose contract was up just signed for more.

Get over it, this ain't no eating contest Casey, you've got to earn your keep on the field and unless you grow utters and start producing milk, you ain't suppose to eat the grass.

Atlanta Dan
08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;418967]
while not as vocal (yet) his actions (or lack of) are reminding me of faneca. QUOTE]

Or Manny Ramirez - I thought Faneca was a bad influence last year but he showed up to play in the regular season - i thought his decline in play ws due to an erosion of skills due to age, not bailing out in protest of his contract

Just bailing out completely because you want a better contract is a Manny move - alternatively Casey may have saved his money and simply decided he is tired of making any effort whatsoever to work out in the offseason

tony hipchest
08-04-2008, 02:44 PM
i was kinda shocked to see willie colon so vocal about faneca not buying in to the new system. i agree that he didnt bail on his team.

now we have an unnamed defensive player telling pat kirwan that what hampton did was a "slap in tomlins face".

i like seeing the players letting go of the "old guard" and embracing change. as valuable as hampton is, im curious how far tomlin will go to show no player is above the team.

hampton may not even be thinking about the "next contract". at this point, i doubt he gets it from the steelers, however he may still retire a steeler (sooner rather than later).

HometownGal
08-04-2008, 03:38 PM

LMAO!!!! :toofunny:

Ever see the guns on Sep? I think each one is 200 lbs. of sheer muscle. :checkit: :thumbsup:

Big Snack now makes Romeo the Hut look like Twiggy.

Mosca
08-04-2008, 04:07 PM
LMAO!!!! :toofunny:

Ever see the guns on Sep? I think each one is 200 lbs. of sheer muscle. :checkit: :thumbsup:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/trainingcamp635.jpg

tony hipchest
08-04-2008, 09:07 PM
ed b. reports hampton was 40 lbs overweight. if his listed weight is 325 that puts him around 365.

Casey Hampton, a.k.a, the Big Snack, said he doesn't how much weight he has shed because he hasn't been on a scale since being placed on the physically unable to perform list for reporting overweight.

"I don't like scales," Hampton said. [must be why whales eat plankton and not fish].

Tomlin is still upset at Hampton, who showed up at St. Vincent College nearly 40 pounds overweight despite being warned by the coach about his size. Tomlin said he hasn't decided when he will allow Hampton to practice. That's no big deal to Hampton, who said he will be ready to play by the season opener.

Returner slips

my uncle is easilly 450 lbs, and hambone definitely needs more than 50 lbs to catch him. (any pittsburgh lifers may know big bruce )

steelreserve
08-05-2008, 12:45 PM

Hey, when you're the punter, you don't have much more to do than kick things and lift weights all day. That must be one helluva comfy existence.

Damn. Now I wish I was a punter.

SteelerNation007
08-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Mark it down. Monday he will be practicing.

DACEB
08-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Mark it down. Monday he will be practicing.

Inside information?

SteelMember
08-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Inside information?

I believe if he is not back to active roster by the last week of TC, by rule, he won't be cleared to practice/play until after week 6.

Run Casey, Run! :tt:

GeneralRobinson
08-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Casey Hampton has been removed from the PUP list.

http://pit.scout.com/2/777846.html

Atlanta Dan
08-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Casey Hampton has been removed from the PUP list.

http://pit.scout.com/2/777846.html

Thanks for the link:thumbsup:

But after reading the linked story Troy apparently remains on the PUP list - I will take the Steelers word it is a tweaked hamstring but for someone coming off knee surgery who did not participate in mini-camp this is bothersome

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 07:23 PM
But after reading the linked story Troy apparently remains on the PUP list - I will take the Steelers word it is a tweaked hamstring but for someone coming off knee surgery who did not participate in mini-camp this is bothersome

I'm hoping Tomlin is just being extra cautious with one of his high priced throughbreds. I hope we see back on the field this week.

The Duke
08-10-2008, 07:29 PM
great, now start training, we all know how much he loves it!!

any word on his current weight?

fansince'76
08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
any word on his current weight?

About a Whopper shy of 400, if I had to guess. :chuckle:

SteelersTilIDie
08-10-2008, 07:57 PM
hampton was just activated off of the PUP list and might play in the Buffalo preseason game according to theinsideronpittsburghsports.com and

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d809ea7d8&template=with-video&confirm=true

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 10:44 PM
best info ive found was he reported at 365-370 and as of 2-3 days ago was 20 lbs less.

id say hes at about 345 now. 340 and he'll be back in pro bowl form.

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Gotta love Hampton's attitude. Too bad all professional atheletes don't have the same.

Hampton’s weight is listed at 325 pounds, but even he smiled when asked how close he was to that weight.

“I am going to put it like this,” said Hampton. “I haven’t been 325 in a long time. But I am going to work and whatever I need to do to get in shape I am going to do it.”

“It is what it is. I just work here. He is the coach. Whatever he says to do, I’m doing it. I’m going to have a smile on my face doing it. I came from nothing. A little running on the side isn’t going to bother me. I lead a good life. I have a good family. Running extra in practice and being on PUP, those are small things to me that’s why you see me with a smile on my face every day and I go about things the way I go about them. What is there to be mad at? I have a great life.”

http://news.steelers.com/article/93238/

BlastFurnace
08-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the link:thumbsup:

Dan...I have believed this for about the past year now...I really think we have already seen the best of Troy. I don't think he will ever be what he once was. His body frame took a beating with the concussions and the injuries over the years....head, shoulder, hamstring, knee...and I'm probably forgetting some.

lilyoder6
08-10-2008, 11:14 PM
yea casey is back.. i guess those 5 dollar subs rly work

fordfan485
08-11-2008, 12:58 AM
Damn 20lbs in 2 weeks? I know for someone by size (180) to loose that much weight that fast would be unhealthy. Is it as big a risk when your up there in pounds like hampton is? though i guess the risk of loosing too much weight that fast outweighs (pun not intended) the health risk of being that heavy to begin with...

Preacher
08-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Damn 20lbs in 2 weeks? I know for someone by size (180) to loose that much weight that fast would be unhealthy. Is it as big a risk when your up there in pounds like hampton is? though i guess the risk of loosing too much weight that fast outweighs (pun not intended) the health risk of being that heavy to begin with...

That's really quite normal for someone who starts a diet at that weight. He'll probably lose another 10 or 15 pounds is my guess.

GeneralRobinson
08-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Dan...I have believed this for about the past year now...I really think we have already seen the best of Troy. I don't think he will ever be what he once was. His body frame took a beating with the concussions and the injuries over the years....head, shoulder, hamstring, knee...and I'm probably forgetting some.

Perhaps we won't see Troy play at the same level as 3 years ago. However, he could still have a productive career if he modifies his game and simply pays a solid strong safety position. Maybe a more effective pass rush from the LB's will offset the drop off in Troy's play along with an improved DL.

Hapa
08-11-2008, 10:49 AM
YAY! Time to see big snack go out there and kill some innocent centers :applaudit:

The Steelers also activated Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton from the physically-unable-to-perform-list, where he had been since failing his conditioning test July 27.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d809ea7d8&template=with-video&confirm=true

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 12:03 PM
just look at the show biggest loser... they start out at bug amounts and ppl lose like double digit pounds week in and week out...but if u are a small person then yes it would affect u

PalmerSteel
08-11-2008, 07:03 PM
only thing big snack had to do to lose that much was probably just cut his midnight snack in half for a week

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 07:12 PM
no more of those late night mcdonald's runs.. no krispy cream doughnuts

Preacher
08-11-2008, 08:35 PM
just look at the show biggest loser... they start out at bug amounts and ppl lose like double digit pounds week in and week out...but if u are a small person then yes it would affect u

Yeah.. a lot of that is water weight... it is the first thing that goes supposedly.

I sure do like how tomlin is handling this team.

xfl2001fan
08-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah.. a lot of that is water weight... it is the first thing that goes supposedly.

I sure do like how tomlin is handling this team.

Regardless, that's still too much too fast. If he's retaining that much water, his diet is in serious need of a major overhaul. His physical conditioning is likely to be worse than expected. He's more likely to be prone to injuries.

I've dropped (since January) from 260 to 224. You don't really want to lose more than 2-3 pounds in a given week, with 5 being the absolute max. You start losing more than that, you will lose physical performance and run the risk of tearing/pulling muscles/tendons etc...

tony hipchest
08-11-2008, 09:11 PM
He's more likely to be prone to injuries.
.i wonder why the steelers training and medical staff have had this information held from them. its not often you see a training staff make their players do stuff that makes them more prone to injuries. isnt their whole mission statement to prevent and heal injuries. :noidea:

then again the steelers have UPMC to rely on, the browns? staph central. sorry, gotta trust the steelers and preacher on this one.

xfl2001fan
08-11-2008, 09:17 PM
i wonder why the steelers training and medical staff have had this information held from them. its not often you see a training staff make their players do stuff that makes them more prone to injuries. isnt their whole mission statement to prevent and heal injuries. :noidea:

then again the steelers have UPMC to rely on, the browns? staph central. sorry, gotta trust the steelers and preacher on this one.

It's risky. Medical staffs will push players as far as they feel is safe doing so...but you ask any dietician what they think about someone losing 10lbs a week what they think. Even at his size, that's still a lot of weight to lose so fast.

Why are you bringing the Browns into a Steelers thread? I'm well aware of the issues, but this isn't the place for Browns. Talk about them in the NFL forum or the Blast Furnace.

Lord Stiller
08-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Regardless, that's still too much too fast. If he's retaining that much water, his diet is in serious need of a major overhaul. His physical conditioning is likely to be worse than expected. He's more likely to be prone to injuries.

I've dropped (since January) from 260 to 224. You don't really want to lose more than 2-3 pounds in a given week, with 5 being the absolute max. You start losing more than that, you will lose physical performance and run the risk of tearing/pulling muscles/tendons etc...

:blah::blah::blah:

you are more prone to injury if you are overweight and out of shape

xfl2001fan
08-11-2008, 09:44 PM
:blah::blah::blah:

you are more prone to injury if you are overweight and out of shape

His physical conditioning is likely to be worse than expected. He's more likely to be prone to injuries.

I know I said that...I pulled it out of a piece of what you quoted me saying. I don't know why you felt the need to say something I clearly said...and act as if I didn't say it.

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 09:45 PM
xfl2001fan i make this statement again.. the biggest loser show does it ALL THE TIME.. the show has had many seasons here in the us and in austrilia.. they lose pounds fast and i don't see there performance drop i see it rise.. so.. the only way it's bad 4 u if u weigh near to nothing and try to lose weight...

xfl2001fan
08-11-2008, 09:48 PM
xfl2001fan i make this statement again.. the biggest loser show does it ALL THE TIME.. the show has had many seasons here in the us and in austrilia.. they lose pounds fast and i don't see there performance drop i see it rise.. so.. the only way it's bad 4 u if u weigh near to nothing and try to lose weight...

Having a drill sergeant tell you that you need to lose 6lbs the week after you lost 8 is asking a body (that in those specific cases) is way out of shape to do more than their lifestyle has asked it to do. It takes 3 weeks to form a habit. I have seen the Biggest Loser. I'm not overly impressed.

It's good to push your limits, within reason, but there really are healthy limits. They're pushing it on that show pretty far.

Steely McSmash
08-11-2008, 11:38 PM
It's good to push your limits, within reason, but there really are healthy limits. They're pushing it on that show pretty far.

And your professional basis for this evaluation is what....?

Those people have trainers, diet experts and doctors available to monitor their routines and status. It IS reality TV and therefore crap but I'm sure they monitor that stuff for liability if nothing else. I think there are a lot of general audience weight loss disclaimers to attempt to keep people from doing stupid things. I'm sure there are exceptions to these general rules with proper supervision.

Hampton is working with world class trainers. I'm gonna have to go with their professional training and experience. In any case I don't think the emphasis is on weight alone for him by any stretch of the imagination.

Plus think about it, if you weigh 380 lb and shuffle around a field for 4 hours, you probably burn up 10,000 calories easily.

xfl2001fan
08-12-2008, 06:23 AM
And your professional basis for this evaluation is what....?

Those people have trainers, diet experts and doctors available to monitor their routines and status. It IS reality TV and therefore crap but I'm sure they monitor that stuff for liability if nothing else. I think there are a lot of general audience weight loss disclaimers to attempt to keep people from doing stupid things. I'm sure there are exceptions to these general rules with proper supervision.

Hampton is working with world class trainers. I'm gonna have to go with their professional training and experience. In any case I don't think the emphasis is on weight alone for him by any stretch of the imagination.

Plus think about it, if you weigh 380 lb and shuffle around a field for 4 hours, you probably burn up 10,000 calories easily.
The three dieticians I talk to on a regular basis. The dieticians that they talk to on a regular basis. The conferences they go to.

The thing I don't trust about that show, it's about business for them. They're trying to make a buck. Period.

Professional sports medical staffs, their job is to push the players as fast as medically possible to get back on the field. They represent the team and what they feel is best for the team, not necissarily what's best for the players.