PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line Power Struggle

Hamer
07-30-2008, 03:01 PM
Good Article from WPXI about Coach Tomlin's 2nd Camp...

http://www.wpxi.com/sports/17037714/detail.html

excerpt:
According to right tackle Willie Colon, there was tension along the offensive line all season as All-Pro left guard Alan Faneca, now with the Jets, refused to implement some changes sought by new offensive line coach Larry Zierlein.

Faneca's stubbornness created doubt among the younger linemen, who didn't know whether to follow a star player's lead or to do what was asked of them.

"Alan was a leader," Colon said. "Sometimes you can't teach old dogs new tricks. We have to realize Alan is gone, coach Zierlein is the boss and that's how we have to approach it. ... It's a new year and a new ship and we have a lot of new guys on deck."

Interesting glimpse on an apparent power struggle last season between Coach Zeirlein and Alan Faneca. I guess now the line has got one plan, and one leader. Alan's the best lineman in the league, but I wonder if our line will actually play better without him.

One can only hope!

SteelMember
07-30-2008, 03:41 PM
Alan is certainly a great player. I don't know if all his probowl appearences went to his head, but there seems to have been a real power struggle for coach Z.:doh:

His play will be hard to replace, but I think we will be better for it.

At least $40 million better anyway.:noidea:

scsteeler
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Once the season starts I think most will see that Alan gone from the line will be best for the team. I think he was unhappy before Tomlin came in. Faneca is a very good player and will be missed but yes I think he can be replaced and the Steelers will move on Like they did With other great guys like, Greg Loyd, Joey Porter, and others that could be named. I mentioned those guys because they did not have stellar careers after leaving the Steel City. Alan should fair much better but our O-line will improve much since he has departed. I actually wanted him to leave last year!!!

Dino 6 Rings
07-30-2008, 04:54 PM
One Rotten Apple Spoils The Bunch.

He's a Jet now. I will pay attention to the guys that want to be playing Oline for the Steelers. Bottom line.

revefsreleets
07-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Again, it's an interesting dilemma:

Believe all the naysayers on a bunch of message boards that we are doomed because the FO failed to address a glaring weakness on a team that has traditionally almost always been right about it's offensive line, or trust the FO because they've traditionally been right about the offensive line and know 10,000 times more about the inner-workings of the team and it's OL than the entire fan base combined?

There was, and remains, too much talent, too much history and pedigree, too much of a proven track record to think that the OL is going to be anywhere near as awful as the "glass-half-fullers" would have us believe...

steel striker
07-30-2008, 07:16 PM
The thing I find interesting is that alot of people are already counting us out of because, of last years oline play. Well that was last year we had alot of injuries and, as far as I'm concerned that was last year. This is a new year and, I'm not ready to crown the browns as afc champs. I still think the media who is clueless thinks if it looks good on paper it will come to be true. We all know just because, it looks good does not mean crap. I hope our whole team has a chip on it's shoulder the whole season. It seems when people doubt us the most we play the best.

xfl2001fan
07-30-2008, 08:28 PM
I'm not counting the Steelers out...and I don't believe that all of the media pundits are counting them out either.

Yup, Browns fan said that.

However, kind of like our secondary has a lot to prove, so does your offensive line. Until it's shown consistent progress on the field, it's going to be talked down and brought up as a weak point. The fact that a weak offensive line is a stone-cold killer to an offense makes it much more difficult a flaw to overlook or compensate for. A weak secondary (particularly corners) can be covered better by scheme and a good passrush. At least, it's easier to compensate for a weak secondary than it is a weak O-line.

Preacher
07-30-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm not counting the Steelers out...and I don't believe that all of the media pundits are counting them out either.

Yup, Browns fan said that.

However, kind of like our secondary has a lot to prove, so does your offensive line. Until it's shown consistent progress on the field, it's going to be talked down and brought up as a weak point. The fact that a weak offensive line is a stone-cold killer to an offense makes it much more difficult a flaw to overlook or compensate for. A weak secondary (particularly corners) can be covered better by scheme and a good passrush. At least, it's easier to compensate for a weak secondary than it is a weak O-line.

That is a fair assessment...

though I disagree about easier to compensate for a weak secondary.

In this league, ANY weak position will be murderous.

xfl2001fan
07-30-2008, 08:39 PM
A weak secondary exposes one portion of the defense. A good pass rush won't allow the QB to set his feet and make the throws and it doesn't have as much of an effect on run defense...though good rushing teams will still expose a one-dimensional defense.

A weak O-line exposes every aspect of the offense. That's the only reason why I give an edge to the weak secondary statement.

tony hipchest
07-30-2008, 09:02 PM
A weak secondary exposes one portion of the defense. A good pass rush won't allow the QB to set his feet and make the throws and it doesn't have as much of an effect on run defense...though good rushing teams will still expose a one-dimensional defense.

A weak O-line exposes every aspect of the offense. That's the only reason why I give an edge to the weak secondary statement.maybe a 'fair" assessment. but not a correct one.

saying the steelers offensive line is "weak" based soley on number of sacks given up, is like saying jerome bettis was weak based on his sub 4.0 YPC average.

whatever makes one feel better though...

HometownGal
07-30-2008, 09:30 PM
One Rotten Apple Spoils The Bunch.

He's a Jet now. I will pay attention to the guys that want to be playing Oline for the Steelers. Bottom line.

Couldn't have said it better than that. :thumbsup:

Alan who?

xfl2001fan
07-30-2008, 09:47 PM
maybe a 'fair" assessment. but not a correct one.

saying the steelers offensive line is "weak" based soley on number of sacks given up, is like saying jerome bettis was weak based on his sub 4.0 YPC average.

whatever makes one feel better though...

I didn't say "Your" weak O-line.

I said "A" weak O-line.

The weakest spot (based on the past few seasons) on your offense is your O-line. In fact, that's been (with ST Coverage units) the weakest spot of your team the last couple of seasons. That's not to say that it's the worst line in the NFL, just that it's the weakest on your team.

There are also varying degrees of weakness to consider.

The weakest spot (for many years) for the Browns was our O-line, which led to a regression in stats, as well as (potentially) shortened careers for some guys who might have (otherwise) had a chance. (Timmy Couch, I'm thinking of you here).

Is your O-line as bad as the Browns 99-04? Nah, not even close. It's much better at run blocking (which is key) and still better at pass blocking than what we fielded a few years ago.

Try not to read further into what I type. When I have something to say about your team (or players), I'll state it simply. When I make a general statement, it is meant to be taken as a general statement.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Am I the only one who noticed a drop off in Fanecas play?
The doomsday machine is writing off the o-line because of the sacks and the loss of Faneca.
I agree the sacks need to go down, but the oline was making way for the leagues leading rusher until he got hurt. They also allowed Ben to set personal passing records.
Even before the talk of Faneca going against the coaches , I thought the oline was better off without him. Although he was in his last year of his contract he didn't really play "audition" for a new contract. He new (and he was right) that some team would pay him based on his probowls! Alan is/was a great OG but the FO was right in letting him go. The point is, all this doomsday talk is just talk! The media and other teams fans are always looking for a reason to say the Steelers won't contend. You know what? In the last 15 years the Steelers outside of a few seasons have been one of the leagues top teams! Face it guys. like it or not the Steelers will always have naysayers.
And those naysayers can swing from my asshair!

tony hipchest
07-30-2008, 10:17 PM
The weakest spot (for many years) for the Browns was our O-line, which led to a regression in stats, as well as (potentially) shortened careers for some guys who might have (otherwise) had a chance. (Timmy Couch, I'm thinking of you here).

.oh, ok.

cause i was gonna say that the steelers weakest spot (o-line) actually led to a progression of stats as well as yet another divisional crown.

but yeah, if there was any unit i could improve, it would be the o-line or special teams. but the o-line is not a finished product and sometimes it takes a team several years to adapt to a coaching change.

not much negative to say about our qb's, wr's, rb's or te's as all units are superb. ben still has tremendous upside and is nowhere near his potential best. the other 3 units are bonafide contenders yet still have made significant upgrades and progress in the last year.

what you see as the "weakest unit" of the bunch, i see as the "least stellar".

its all semantics....

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Can you imagine if the Steelers had been off to a start in 2007 like that in 2006 - Faneca would have been holding press conferenes to mourn the passage of the good old days when his OL coach and Alan could pound brewskies together after practice

IMO Faneca was a team cancer last year and all that kept him from engaging in a public diss of Tomlin's authority was that the team was winning until late in the year.

Faneca was a major talent but he apparently did everything but hang in his locker a picture of Grimm bordered in black crepe - even with a downgrade at the position that attitude had to go

Preacher
07-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Can you imagine if the Steelers had been off to a start in 2007 like that in 2006 - Faneca would have been holding press conferenes to mourn the passage of the good old days when his OL coach and Alan could pound brewskies together after practice

IMO Faneca was a team cancer last year and all that kept him from engaging in a public diss of Tomlin's authority was that the team was winning until late in the year.

Faneca was a major talent but he apparently did everything but hang in his locker a picture of Grimm bordered in black crepe - even with a downgrade at the position that attitude had to go

Yep.

Actuall[y, I had the feeling all year last year. I simply was not happy with him and was not impressed with his playing.

fansince'76
07-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Alan is certainly a great player. I don't know if all his probowl appearences went to his head, but there seems to have been a real power struggle for coach Z.:doh:

His play will be hard to replace, but I think we will be better for it.

His play from about 2000 - 2005? Yeah.

His play from the last two years? Nope.

Preacher
07-31-2008, 04:30 PM

yep.

i bet... just his absence will make this line better.

SteelMember
07-31-2008, 04:43 PM

I was speaking overall.
Hey, I'm just glad to get quoted. :drink: Even edited. :thumbsup: Makes me feel more a part of all this.:tt03: