PDA

View Full Version : Lets go Pitt Football!

Pages : 1 [2]

Steelersfanforlife
02-04-2009, 08:56 PM
yeah im a Pitt fan

atlsteelers
02-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Pitt football might catch a break. Rumor has it that Coach Cavanaugh is going to the Jets.

steelersfanman92
02-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Has anyone seen anything about QB Kolby Grey, he signed with Pitt yesterday, I looked at some of his highlights and he seems pretty good

Dino 6 Rings
02-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Pitt football might catch a break. Rumor has it that Coach Cavanaugh is going to the Jets.

That's actually good news. That means we won't try to out think the room on every single play and may actually just run some normal plays instead of end around fake deep passes on 3rd every single effing time.

Really...Cav got under my skin and the 0 points in the Bowl...only fueld my anger at him. 0 points with McCoy at running back. Gee no wonder the kid left for the pro's he got 1 carry in the 1st quarter of the only Bowl game the kid has ever been to.

Effing Cav...

atlsteelers
02-10-2009, 08:28 AM
That's actually good news. That means we won't try to out think the room on every single play and may actually just run some normal plays instead of end around fake deep passes on 3rd every single effing time.

Really...Cav got under my skin and the 0 points in the Bowl...only fueld my anger at him. 0 points with McCoy at running back. Gee no wonder the kid left for the pro's he got 1 carry in the 1st quarter of the only Bowl game the kid has ever been to.

Effing Cav...

I have watched too many pitt games where cavanaugh drove me nuts. Didn't cav say he did not realize that the hash marks where different in college than they were in the nfl?

i think pitt can only improve with this move.

Steelcitygal87
02-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Some of you may have already heard this...but for those of you who haven't...the Panthers hired Frank Cignetti Jr., previously the offensive coordinator at California, as their OC.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=519147

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Frank Cignetti Jr., previously the offensive coordinator at California, took the same position Wednesday at Pittsburgh, where he replaces Matt Cavanaugh.

Cavanaugh, a former Pitt quarterback, held the job for four years before returning to the NFL last week as the New York Jets' quarterbacks coach. Cavanaugh was the Baltimore Ravens' offensive coordinator before joining Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt's staff in 2005.

Cignetti was the San Francisco 49ers' quarterbacks coach in 2007 before taking the Cal job. He has been a coach for 20 years, serving as the offensive coordinator at North Carolina in 2006 and Fresno State from 2002-05 following two seasons as the New Orleans Saints' quarterbacks coach.

Cignetti is the son of Frank Cignetti, the former West Virginia and Indiana (Pa.) University coach. Cignetti played safety for the his father at IUP and later spent eight years as an IUP assistant coach, the final two as offensive coordinator. He began his coaching career as a Pitt graduate assistant in 1989.

Dino 6 Rings
02-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the post Steel City Gal

I hope Frank likes handing the ball off to his playmakers instead of throwing the fly pattern every down.

Michael Keller
02-20-2009, 09:00 AM
I like everything about whats happening.
#1 Pitt loses at best a medicore OC. In my opinion Matt is not even that good. PLUS 1

#2-Pitt gets a very very qualified OC in Cignetti. I live in NO Cal. and the Cal Bears have a good offense every year. PLUS 2

#3- A conference rival (the Jets) get a predictable at best medicore OC. The Steelers benefit PLUS 3.

Isn"t it obvious that these NFL coaches take care of each other . Bruce Arians is a beneficiary of this fraternal protection philosophy. LOL . I couldn"t reist taking my shot.

Am I happy we won the Super Bowl? Absolutely . Can we be a better team next year. I think we will be. Is Bruce Arian a good OC. Not in my opinion. Ben's taking over the offense any ways so it may not matter. Hang in there Matt and Bruce every body is looking out for you including our President who is looking out for every body.

Steelcitygal87
02-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the post Steel City Gal

I hope Frank likes handing the ball off to his playmakers instead of throwing the fly pattern every down.

You're welcome :)

Dino 6 Rings
03-06-2009, 04:48 PM
LETS GO PITT!

sigh...August is far away...

LETS GO PITT BASKETBALL!!! WOOHOO!

SteelCityMan786
03-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Since you asked for some news of August Dino, here's Pitt's Schedule

http://post-gazette.com/pg/09065/953654-142.stm

Sept. 5: Youngstown State
Sept. 12: at Buffalo
Sept. 19: Navy
Sept. 26: at North Carolina State
Oct. 2: at Louisville 8 p.m.
Oct. 10: Connecticut TBA
Oct. 16: at Rutgers 8 p.m.
Oct. 24: USF
Nov. 7: Syracuse
Nov. 14: Notre Dame
Nov. 27: at West Virginia
Dec. 5: Cincinnati

Dino 6 Rings
03-08-2009, 05:09 PM
WOOHOO PITT BASKETBALL!!!

Dino 6 Rings
07-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Well time to mention the Football team again.

Pitt Football: Panthers land big-time guard

Monday, July 06, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Pitt's recruiting momentum did not slow down for the holidays as the Panthers received a verbal commitment yesterday from North Olmstead, Ohio, offensive lineman Matt Rotheram.

Rotheram is the 12th player from the class of 2010 to commit to the Panthers. He is the highest-rated recruit of any in the class thus far.

Rotheram (6 feet 6, 310 pounds) is a four-star prospect, according to Rivals.com, and the recruiting service also ranks him as the ninth-best guard prospect in the country.

He had numerous scholarship offers, including from Wisconsin, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, LSU, Arizona, Michigan State, Iowa and Cincinnati. He said his three finalists were Purdue, Indiana and Pitt, and once he compared them it was really no contest.

"I was looking for a school that was close to home in which I'd fit into the offense," he said. "Pitt offered me everything I wanted academically, proximity to my house and football as well. I really like the coaching staff, and the pro-style offense is a great fit for me. That was a big selling point. The coaches told me they'd like to try me first at right tackle but I can play inside or outside and I am just thankful for the opportunity."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09187/982112-233.stm

millwalldavey
07-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Let's get Hynoski some carries!

steelersfanman92
07-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Who would you prefer to start this season Bostick or Stull?

Personally I prefer Bostick, but I think it will be Stull starting.

Dino 6 Rings
07-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Bostick. The kid has a bigger upside. Bostick has won some really big games, and yeah, he makes mistakes, but he's going to be the starter next season, I say put the kid in this year and let him have a full year under center as the man with the team giving him full support.

steelersfanman92
07-15-2009, 02:35 PM
I agree with you 100%. Bostick needs to be playing he has shown at times he can be good, like the ND game last year, but he needs to be given the chance to mature into a good player.

Dino 6 Rings
08-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Total argument with a fellow Pitt fan yesterday that is all up for having STULL start this season for the panthers. Seriously...I say the guy is a Tool Box who can't make a throw to save his life. I'd rather have Bostick any day.

Steel Head
08-26-2009, 10:14 AM
no Big East teams are ranked in the top 25, what a weak conference!

Dino 6 Rings
08-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Preseason Ranking don't mean Crap, its final season rankings that matter.

Go cheer on a team that Plays Temple every year and is too scared to play Pitt.

SteelCityMan786
08-26-2009, 12:02 PM

More like a team that doesn't need Pitt to fill up their stadium. (However I want the rivalry back simply because it's one of College Football's best rivalries). Has a record of 40-11 in the last 4 years, and has won 3 out of their last 4 bowl games

Also bust on Penn State all you want for playing Temple, but Penn State only plays them through 2012 and as far as I can tell, the series might be a way of helping them gain exposure. (Temple Coach Al Golden is a Penn State Alum to).

As far as I am concerned, polls shouldn't start until Late October-Early November. That way we already know just how good teams are.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 08:28 AM
Honestly, don't start...

Joe is 25-0 vs Temple Historically.

why keep playing a team that sux that bad?

Cause its a rent a win, for him to pad his win loss record with. Also Maryland, 24-0. Nice scheduling.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 08:32 AM
The real record:

Vs Ohio State 8-12
Vs Michigan 4-10
Vs Alabama 4-8
Vs Florida 0-1
Vs Oklahoma 0-2
Vs Wisconsin 6-7

Vs Toledo 0-1

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 08:51 AM

Temple is better than half the teams in the Big East including Pitt

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 08:52 AM
The real record:

Vs Ohio State 8-12
Vs Michigan 4-10
Vs Alabama 4-8
Vs Florida 0-1
Vs Oklahoma 0-2
Vs Wisconsin 6-7

Vs Toledo 0-1

The real record:

23-11-1 bowl record (most bowl wins of all-time)

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Honestly, don't start...

Joe is 25-0 vs Temple Historically.

why keep playing a team that sux that bad?

Cause its a rent a win, for him to pad his win loss record with. Also Maryland, 24-0. Nice scheduling.

Joe Pa vs. Pitt

23-7-1

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 09:39 AM
Joe Pa vs. Pitt

23-7-1

I'm aware of that record.

Got you last though, 12-0.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Temple is better than half the teams in the Big East including Pitt

Right, that's why they were kicked out of the Big East because they were so dominant, get your head out of your arse and try to score more than 13 points in Columbus some time ok.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 09:41 AM
The real record:

23-11-1 bowl record (most bowl wins of all-time)

Yawn...go play crap teams and get wins, play great historic programs and get your arse kicked time and time and time again.

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 09:43 AM
Yawn...go play crap teams and get wins, play great historic programs and get your arse kicked time and time and time again.

23-11-1 bowl record. That means they are mostly against good teams. It's not like they are losing 3-0 in a bowl game LMAO :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 09:44 AM
23-11-1 bowl record. That means they are mostly against good teams. It's not like they are losing 3-0 in a bowl game LMAO :toofunny::toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

you're right, being down 31-7 at half time in the Rose bowl would have been so much better.

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 09:47 AM
you're right, being down 31-7 at half time in the Rose bowl would have been so much better.

atleast they were in a BCS bowl game unlike Pitt who only gets the toilet bowl against crap teams and lose 3-0 to a team Penn State crushed

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 09:49 AM
atleast they were in a BCS bowl game unlike Pitt who only gets the toilet bowl against crap teams and lose 3-0 to a team Penn State crushed

Oregon State beat USC, and you got thumped by USC. so tell me, did you sign a home and home with Oregon State or was this one of your cowardly "come across the country and play us at noon" rent a wins as well?

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 09:50 AM
How's that Iowa Loss taste anyway? Pretty sure PITT beat Iowa last year. Was it too cold for your pussssy players to deal with?

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Joe Pa vs. Pitt

23-7-1

OWNED

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 10:13 AM
OWNED

12-0

PWN3D

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2009, 10:26 AM

Like Michigan and Ohio State?

I'm aware of that record.

Got you last though, 12-0.

I'm aware of that, but Paterno still dominates Pitt like he does Temple.

How's that Iowa Loss taste anyway? Pretty sure PITT beat Iowa last year. Was it too cold for your pussssy players to deal with?

How's that Oregon State loss treating you. Pretty sure you lost to them 3-0. A team Penn State beat 45-14.

Right, that's why they were kicked out of the Big East because they were so dominant, get your head out of your arse and try to score more than 13 points in Columbus some time ok.

Go play in Ann Arbor or Columbus sometime.

Oregon State beat USC, and you got thumped by USC. so tell me, did you sign a home and home with Oregon State or was this one of your cowardly "come across the country and play us at noon" rent a wins as well?

Like that series you signed with Utah?

Oregon State wasn't a rent a win. That game was used to provide a marquee team onto their home schedule last year.

At least Penn State wins against teams that are supposed to be rent a wins. (Coughs Bowling Green Coughs).

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 10:34 AM
How's that Oregon State loss treating you. Pretty sure you lost to them 3-0. A team Penn State beat 45-14.

LOL

:toofunny::toofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 11:02 AM
So is Joe Pa wearing diapers this season or has he just had his arse plugged up to avoid crapping his pants again during a game? Just wondering.

Michigan and Ohio state are IN CONFERENCE GAMES. so you have to Lose to them every year. Deal with it.

oh and for the record:

Penn State's four non-conference opponents, all of whom will visit Beaver Stadium, were a combined 18-30 last season with no bowl appearances.

Only Mississippi has a worse non-conference schedule than Penn State, according to The Sporting News. Two of the Rebels' four non-Southeastern Conference games are against I-AA foes.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09214/988067-143.stm#ixzz0POqBDbQW

Effing Cowards REFUSE to sign Home and Home with anyone worth a Damn. I look foward to watching Alabama stomp a mudhole in you're pathetic arse and seeing how hard Joe tries to get out of that series down the road.

Guess its good you play Temple, Akron and Youngstown state all in the 2010 Season.

Effing Pusssies.

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Guess its good you play Temple, Akron and Youngstown state all in the 2010 Season.

Those are better teams than Pitt

LOL

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Try to sugar coat it all you want, Joe Pa is very good at signing cup cakes to boost his win loss record.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 11:09 AM

LOL

See, now you're just being an ingnorant fool, showing your real fear of playing an instate Rival knowing that Rivalry games are double edged swords and Joe Pa has fear of losing those games.

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2009, 11:18 AM

LOL

Steel Head, I'm a Penn State fan, and I'm not dumb enough to even say that. Pitt has gotten dramatically better within the last year. If you had to ask me If I was on the BCS Committee and asked me which team would give Penn State better weight in the rankings, a win over Pitt would aid Penn State much better then a win over a team such as a I-AA.

Michigan and Ohio state are IN CONFERENCE GAMES. so you have to Lose to them every year. Deal with it.

oh and for the record:

Penn State's four non-conference opponents, all of whom will visit Beaver Stadium, were a combined 18-30 last season with no bowl appearances.

Effing Cowards REFUSE to sign Home and Home with anyone worth a Damn. I look foward to watching Alabama stomp a mudhole in you're pathetic arse and seeing how hard Joe tries to get out of that series down the road.

Effing Pusssies.

I'm aware of that.

Hmmmm, I guess that means you think Alabama isn't worth playing. Joe's playing them 1 and 1. How about Virginia? Nebraska? or Rutgers for that Matter?

Yep Joe sure doesn't want to play anybody worth a damn

btw, Penn State plays Akron in 2009. Kent State is the MAC game in 2010.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm all about playing Nebraska, I actually went to the Pitt at Nebraska game a few years back, that was before we signed the home and home with Va Tech, Clemson (who backed out) NC State and Miami. Plus the current home and home with Notre Dame, oh and Iowa.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Play us. Or don't talk smack. That's my point. It is Well Documented that it is Joe Pa preventing the Pitt vs Penn State game. He wants a 2 home for 1 home knowing that the Pitt AD would never go for that. Yet he signs home and home with Syracuse.

Home and Home vs Pitt, that's what we want, bring it. We have been waiting 9 years. 12-0.

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Play us. Or don't talk smack. That's my point. It is Well Documented that it is Joe Pa preventing the Pitt vs Penn State game. He wants a 2 home for 1 home knowing that the Pitt AD would never go for that. Yet he signs home and home with Syracuse.

Home and Home vs Pitt, that's what we want, bring it. We have been waiting 9 years. 12-0.

I can't blame Peterson for it either. I wouldn't go for that myself either. I'd even go for a neutral site game myself if he wants a 3 year deal.

Also try winning a BCS Bowl Game or don't talk smack.

Don't you worry, I've been waiting just as long.

I'm all about playing Nebraska, I actually went to the Pitt at Nebraska game a few years back, that was before we signed the home and home with Va Tech, Clemson (who backed out) NC State and Miami. Plus the current home and home with Notre Dame, oh and Iowa.

The 2002 Game for Penn State against them was a total whitewash. I was stunned to see with how bad they were in 2003, that they even were that close against Nebraska.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 11:31 AM
I can't blame Peterson for it either. I wouldn't go for that myself either. I'd even go for a neutral site game myself if he wants a 3 year deal.

Also try winning a BCS Bowl Game or don't talk smack.

Don't you worry, I've been waiting just as long.

The 2002 Game for Penn State against them was a total whitewash. I was stunned to see with how bad they were in 2003, that they even were that close against Nebraska.

Pitt at Nebraska, Effing missed field goal to win the game and then it comes out the kicker had a bad knee all day. But the Sea of Red is a great place for a game.

PSU is 1-1 in BCS Games, Pitt is 0-1. So when we get the Big East Bid this year (Which I expect or Dave needs fired) We will be 1-1.

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Pitt at Nebraska, Effing missed field goal to win the game and then it comes out the kicker had a bad knee all day. But the Sea of Red is a great place for a game.

PSU is 1-1 in BCS Games, Pitt is 0-1. So when we get the Big East Bid this year (Which I expect or Dave needs fired) We will be 1-1.

I won't argue with that Dino.

This is Dave's make or break. If he gets no Bowl win this year, I think he may be close to the chopping block. He's had his mercy. For me to say Pitt will be 1-1 in BCS Games, is dependent upon who they get.

Btw, I know Penn State is 1-1 in BCS games and if they live up to expectations, they'll be in the BCS themselves to. Just hopefully both sides will have no choice but to accept a Bowl Game against each other.

Dino 6 Rings
08-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Just hopefully both sides will have no choice but to accept a Bowl Game against each other.

Now on that...we agree!!

:drink:

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Now on that...we agree!!

I'll second that one. :drink:

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Now on that...we agree!!

that would be cool but Penn State usually plays in more prestigious bowls than Pitt does

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2009, 04:34 PM
that would be cool but Penn State usually plays in more prestigious bowls than Pitt does

And Steel Head? What does that have to do with renewing the series.

I'm a Penn State fan till the end, but at the same time I want our rivalry with Pitt back.

Steel Head
08-27-2009, 05:28 PM
And Steel Head? What does that have to do with renewing the series.

I'm a Penn State fan till the end, but at the same time I want our rivalry with Pitt back.

do you know how bowl games work? The bowl chooses what teams play there, the colleges don't choose what teams they want to play

The more prestigious bowls that choose Penn State wouldn't pick a lowly Pitt team

SteelCityMan786
08-27-2009, 08:21 PM
do you know how bowl games work? The bowl chooses what teams play there, the colleges don't choose what teams they want to play

The more prestigious bowls that choose Penn State wouldn't pick a lowly Pitt team

I do know how they work and that's most of the time only applicable to BCS Bowls.

Non-BCS Bowls can choose teams if a conference assigned to that Bowl can not fulfil their bid.

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2009, 10:47 AM

Actually moron, I'll tell you exactly how the bowl game set up work:

New Mexico bowl = MWC vs WAC
St Petersburg = Big East vs Con USA
New Orleans = C USA vs Sun Belt
Las Vegas = MWC vs Pac 10
Poinsetta = MWC vs Pac 10
Hawaii = C-USA vs WAC
Emerald = ACC vs Pac 10
Meineke = ACC vs Big East
Motor City = Big 10 vs MAC
Music City = ACC vs SEC
Independence = Big 12 vs SEC
Champs = ACC vs Big 10
EagleBank = ACC vs Military
Holiday = Big 12 vs Pac 10
Humanitarian = MWC vs WAC
Texas = Big 12 vs Navy
Armed Forces = MWC vs C-USA
Brut Sun = Pac 10 vs Big 12/Big East
Insight = Big 10 vs Big 12
Chick Fil a = ACC vs SEC
Outback = BIg 10 vs ACC
Capital One = Big 10 vs SEC
Gator Bowl = ACC vs East/12 or Notre Dame
Rose = Pac 10 vs Big 10
Sugar = BSC AT LARGE vs BSC AT LARGE (This is where we would meet)
Cotton = Big 12 vs SEC
Liberty = C-USA vs SEC
International = Big E vs MAC
Papajohns = Big East vs SEC
Alamo = Big 10 vs Big 12
Fiesta = Big 12 vs BCS At Large
Orange = BCS ACC vs BCS At Large
GMAC = ACC vs MAC
National Title (In California this year) 1 vs 2.

So there you go. it has nothing to do with "Bowls" picking teams and not chosing Pitt or Picking PSU, its all about the Conference affiliation and the only way we would match up is in a BCS Game. So if OSU wins the Big 10 but PSU is ranked in the top 8 teams, and Pitt wins the Big East, we could play in the Sugar Bowl.

That's what me and Steel City Man are talking about, but you want to just be an arsehole and knock pitt in the pitt thread because you have nothing better to do. But that's still cool 12-0, got you last, deal with it.

Steel Head
08-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Actually moron, I'll tell you exactly how the bowl game set up work:

New Mexico bowl = MWC vs WAC
St Petersburg = Big East vs Con USA
New Orleans = C USA vs Sun Belt
Las Vegas = MWC vs Pac 10
Poinsetta = MWC vs Pac 10
Hawaii = C-USA vs WAC
Emerald = ACC vs Pac 10
Meineke = ACC vs Big East
Motor City = Big 10 vs MAC
Music City = ACC vs SEC
Independence = Big 12 vs SEC
Champs = ACC vs Big 10
EagleBank = ACC vs Military
Holiday = Big 12 vs Pac 10
Humanitarian = MWC vs WAC
Texas = Big 12 vs Navy
Armed Forces = MWC vs C-USA
Brut Sun = Pac 10 vs Big 12/Big East
Insight = Big 10 vs Big 12
Chick Fil a = ACC vs SEC
Outback = BIg 10 vs ACC
Capital One = Big 10 vs SEC
Gator Bowl = ACC vs East/12 or Notre Dame
Rose = Pac 10 vs Big 10
Sugar = BSC AT LARGE vs BSC AT LARGE (This is where we would meet)
Cotton = Big 12 vs SEC
Liberty = C-USA vs SEC
International = Big E vs MAC
Papajohns = Big East vs SEC
Alamo = Big 10 vs Big 12
Fiesta = Big 12 vs BCS At Large
Orange = BCS ACC vs BCS At Large
GMAC = ACC vs MAC
National Title (In California this year) 1 vs 2.

So there you go. it has nothing to do with "Bowls" picking teams and not chosing Pitt or Picking PSU, its all about the Conference affiliation and the only way we would match up is in a BCS Game. So if OSU wins the Big 10 but PSU is ranked in the top 8 teams, and Pitt wins the Big East, we could play in the Sugar Bowl.

That's what me and Steel City Man are talking about, but you want to just be an arsehole and knock pitt in the pitt thread because you have nothing better to do. But that's still cool 12-0, got you last, deal with it.

1 - I'm not a moron. You are and your post supports this

Do you see any Big 10 vs Big East bowls on there? I don't. So how exactly is your wet dream of Pitt actually beating a much better Penn State in a bowl game going to come true? LOL at u thinking Pitt will get a BCS game LMFAO :toofunny:

fyi - the bowls that get the Big 10 teams are more prestigious than the crappy bowl games that Big Least gets (more money)

LOL, I guess ignorance is bliss

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Moron, It would have to be a BCS vs BCS At Large Bid, meaning OSU Goes to the Rose but PSU is still in the top 8 AND the SEC Team is playing for the National Title.

That's how it could happen.

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2009, 10:53 AM
LMAO at PSU being "much better"

Steel Head
08-28-2009, 10:55 AM
LMAO at PSU being "much better"

yeah, I should have added like 10 more muchs

Steel Head
08-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Moron, It would have to be a BCS vs BCS At Large Bid, meaning OSU Goes to the Rose but PSU is still in the top 8 AND the SEC Team is playing for the National Title.

Moron, there is no way an at-large BCS bid will go to a Big East team. No big east team is even ranked.

Seriously, be realistic

I'm done posting here, you're being an idiot

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Moron, there is no way an at-large BCS bid will go to a Big East team. No big east team is even ranked.

Seriously, be realistic

I'm done posting here, you're being an idiot

You're so dumb. The Big East winner GETS a BCS Bid Automatically.

Learn football before you attempt to talk smack you simpleton.

Steel Head
08-28-2009, 11:00 AM
You're so dumb. The Big East winner GETS a BCS Bid Automatically.

Learn football before you attempt to talk smack you simpleton.

you said at-large bid moron

besides, Pitt couldn't beat the quad-A champs they sure as hell aren't winning the Big East (even though the Big East sucks donkey balls)

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2009, 11:05 AM
you said at-large bid moron

besides, Pitt couldn't beat the quad-A champs they sure as hell aren't winning the Big East (even though the Big East sucks donkey balls)

Whatever, you're own inadequate feelings for your team lead you to attack and spend time in the Pitt thread because deep down you know in your heart that you're nothing more than a front runner and once PSU Drops you'll be putting your Pitt Hat on and talking about how you have "always liked Pitt"

So its Ok, you're a dime a dozen.

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2009, 11:11 AM

It's one way it could happen.

Another scenario I see it happen is Pitt gets Top 8 BCS Rank, Penn State wins Big Ten and they go to the Rose Bowl.

I thought the Big East Champs BCS Bowl was the Orange? SEC's Champ though I could see going for the National Title(Especially if it's Florida even if there Non-Conference Schedule is awful, their league schedule redeems them HEAVILY.)

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2009, 11:20 AM
It's one way it could happen.

Another scenario I see it happen is Pitt gets Top 8 BCS Rank, Penn State wins Big Ten and they go to the Rose Bowl.

I thought the Big East Champs BCS Bowl was the Orange? SEC's Champ though I could see going for the National Title(Especially if it's Florida even if there Non-Conference Schedule is awful, their league schedule redeems them HEAVILY.)

Normally the Big East champ does go to the Orange, but that's not "set in stone" its optional and it depends on which of the BCS bowls picks in what order. The Big East team could get taken by another BCS Bowl, especially if its a PSU vs PITT match up, that bowl would draw great ratings and crowds. Pitt got thumped in their own BCS game and it was the Fiesta, so the Fiesta also has the chance of a Big 10 vs Big East game if neither are in the National Title game.

Notre dame also gets an option for the Orange I think, so if they are took in the Orange, the Big East team could go somewhere else if they are BCS Ranked.

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Normally the Big East champ does go to the Orange, but that's not "set in stone" its optional and it depends on which of the BCS bowls picks in what order. The Big East team could get taken by another BCS Bowl, especially if its a PSU vs PITT match up, that bowl would draw great ratings and crowds. Pitt got thumped in their own BCS game and it was the Fiesta, so the Fiesta also has the chance of a Big 10 vs Big East game if neither are in the National Title game.

Notre dame also gets an option for the Orange I think, so if they are took in the Orange, the Big East team could go somewhere else if they are BCS Ranked.

Unlike the case is with the Rose unless 1 goes to the National Title game. Though Illinois has went there before and got stomped.(They were runner up in 2007.)

Notre Dame varys. They were in the Fiesta and Sugar Bowl in their last 2 BCS Games

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Unlike the case is with the Rose unless 1 goes to the National Title game. Though Illinois has went there before and got stomped.(They were runner up in 2007.)

Notre Dame varys. They were in the Fiesta and Sugar Bowl in their last 2 BCS Games

Yeah, its a possible match up though. That's the point. And as of now, as long as Joe Pa lives and breaths, its the only way we get the game all of PA wants.

Have played almost 100 times in history and now its just ignored. Totally bogus.

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah, its a possible match up though. That's the point. And as of now, as long as Joe Pa lives and breaths, its the only way we get the game all of PA wants.

Have played almost 100 times in history and now its just ignored. Totally bogus.

I'm looking for a day when the 97th edition of it comes to Beaver Stadium.

Dino 6 Rings
08-28-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm looking for a day when the 97th edition of it comes to Beaver Stadium.

I know right...nearly 100 games and they stopped the series...such a bad move.

SteelCityMan786
08-28-2009, 07:45 PM
I know right...nearly 100 games and they stopped the series...such a bad move.

:cheers: Couldn't agree more. I was mad when they quit the series. I was at the last 2 games ever played. They were GREAT games(Even if I experienced being on both ends). No reason why this series shouldn't have played at least 100 times yet.

In fact this year should be year 106.

Dino 6 Rings
09-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Pitt Football Notebook: Wannstedt will try again to redshirt QB Bostick
Tuesday, September 01, 2009
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed/Post-GazettePitt will attempt to redshirt quarterback Pat Bostick.Pitt backup quarterback Pat Bostick might get that redshirt he missed out on last season.

Bostick is the odd man out in Pitt's quarterback derby as Panthers coach Dave Wannstedt announced yesterday that redshirt freshman Tino Sunseri will be the backup to Bill Stull.

"Bill Stull is the starter. Tino Sunseri will be the No. 2," Wannstedt said. "I told Tino Sunseri, the wish list is to get him playing time. We want to get him in as many games as we can. We'll take it one week at a time. We would like to redshirt Pat if we could. He is all for that."

Bostick was headed for a redshirt last season, but that changed when he was put into the Navy game (the sixth game of the season) during mop-up time. Coaches said they needed to get him ready because he hadn't played a game and they had lost confidence in backup Kevan Smith. Two weeks later, however, it turned out to be a good decision as Stull was hurt and Bostick started against Notre Dame and led the Panthers to a 36-33 four-overtime victory.

The idea of redshirting Bostick may be a good one on paper, but it is contingent on two things -- Stull staying healthy and playing well and Sunseri proving he is ready to play, given that he should get some opportunities early in the season.

Wannstedt made it clear, however, that if Stull gets hurt or falters, Sunseri would be the starter.

"Tino Sunseri is the guy," Wannstedt said. "Tino is going to be an outstanding quarterback for us. He had a very good camp. I think the big thing is to get him some playing time and to get him in the action a little bit. I believe that he will learn and I believe that he will progress. Nothing is scripted out [Saturday for the Youngstown State game]. He is prepared to play. We'll see how the game unfolds."

Walk-ons earn scholarships
Two walk-on specialists -- redshirt junior punter/kicker Dan Hutchins and redshirt sophomore holder/quarterback Andrew Janocko -- earned scholarships for this season and beyond.

Wannstedt said both players earned the reward because they have both proven to be good students, hard workers and they play important roles on the team.

"That's a real positive thing for those kids, and for our program," Wannstedt said. "A lot of schools talk about rewarding these young players who walk on. It's easier said than done. You wish you had more, because we do have a couple of kids who have been with us for a couple of years who are very deserving. These kids work as hard as the scholarship players. They are trying to find ways to make ends meet financially. Any chance you get to help out that burden is a good thing."

Quick hits
It is clearly a game week -- Wannstedt was extremely vague about injuries other than to say "we are expecting the majority of our guys back for this game." At the end of camp, the Panthers had several key players ailing, including defensive end Jabaal Sheard (knee) and tight ends Nate Byham (concussion) and Dorin Dickerson (hamstring). ... Pitt's nine national championship trophies and the Steelers' six Super Bowl trophies will be on display at Heinz Field's Coca-Cola Great Hall before the game Saturday. Former coach Johnny Majors also will be on hand to sign autographs from 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. ... Antwuan Reed and Ricky Gary will be the backup corners and Jarred Holley will see time at strong safety.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09244/994567-233.stm#ixzz0PtP7FXKb

Dino 6 Rings
09-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Pittsburgh Chosen As 2009 BIG EAST Football Favorite

NEWPORT, R.I. – If the results of the conference’s annual preseason media poll are any indication, no one can really be sure what to expect with regard to the 2009 BIG EAST title. In a poll that saw four different teams earn multiple first-place votes and the top five teams separated by just 35 points, Pittsburgh emerged from a tight field as the favorite to take the 2009 BIG EAST championship.

The Panthers received eight of a possible 24 first-place votes to finish with 161 points in the poll of media representatives from each of the eight BIG EAST markets. Pittsburgh returns 14 starters from last year’s squad, which was one of the most improved teams in the nation, with a particularly veteran presence on the offensive and defensive lines. In addition, Dave Wannstedt’s squad returns a pair of veteran quarterbacks in Bill Stull and Pat Bostick and boasts a potential breakout star in wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin.

West Virginia, which has won the BIG EAST title twice in the last four years, was a close second in the poll with 151 points and five first-place votes. The Mountaineers finished tied with Pittsburgh and Rutgers for second in the BIG EAST last year and were 9-4 overall, with three of the losses coming by a combined 10 points, including two in overtime. Head coach Bill Stewart welcomes back eight starters on defense, including veteran middle linebacker Reed Williams, and has one of nation’s most explosive offensive players in running back Noel Devine.

With 144 points, Cincinnati was tabbed third in the preseason poll, despite the Bearcats’ receiving as many first-place votes as Pittsburgh. Brian Kelly’s group enjoyed a magical year in 2008 as Cincinnati won the outright BIG EAST title and played in a BCS bowl game for the first time in program history. The Bearcats return big-play quarterback Tony Pike and wideout Mardy Gilyard – the 2008 BIG EAST Special Teams Player of the Year – but will have to find a way to replace 10 departed starters on defense.

USF received three first-place votes and was fourth in the poll with 130 points. Head coach Jim Leavitt has had the Bulls ranked in the national top 10 in each of the last two seasons and a return trip could well be in store thanks to the return of all-America defensive end George Selvie and quarterback Matt Grothe, who is poised to become the BIG EAST’s career leader in total offense.

Rutgers was chosen fifth in the poll with 126 points, just four points behind USF. Greg Schiano’s Scarlet Knights will have to replace impact players at quarterback and wide receiver, but All-BIG EAST tackle Anthony Davis leads a veteran offensive line that should rank among the nation’s best in 2009.

Connecticut was pegged for sixth in the preseason poll with 74 points as the Huskies lost four players in the first two rounds of the 2009 NFL Draft, including the nation’s leading rusher in Donald Brown. Randy Edsall has proven to be a master at developing talent, however, and the Huskies turn to veteran linebacker Scott Lutrus to lead a consistent and talented defense.

Louisville was picked seventh with 51 points as the Cardinals enter the year in the unfamiliar position of being unproven at quarterback. Head coach Steve Kragthorpe will turn to standout running back Victor Anderson – the 2008 BIG EAST Rookie of the Year – to shoulder much of the load to keep the Louisville offense in its regular place among the nation’s best.

Syracuse was slotted eighth in the preseason balloting. Doug Marrone enters his first year as head coach at his alma mater and will look to wide receiver Mike Williams and a veteran offensive line to get the Orange back on track.

2009 BIG EAST Football Preseason Media Poll

Rank Team Points
1. Pittsburgh (8) 161
2. West Virginia (5) 151
3. Cincinnati (8) 144
4. USF (3) 130
5. Rutgers 126
6. Connecticut 74
7. Louisville 51
8. Syracuse 27

http://www.bigeast.org/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92485&SPID=11215&DB_OEM_ID=19400&ATCLID=204767345

steelersfanman92
09-01-2009, 04:32 PM
I really think that Bostick should be starting. Stull is a bum and hasn't shown that he deserves his spot Bostick has proved that he has potential to be pretty good while I have not seen that from Stull.

Dino 6 Rings
09-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I really think that Bostick should be starting. Stull is a bum and hasn't shown that he deserves his spot Bostick has proved that he has potential to be pretty good while I have not seen that from Stull.

Hot dang man, I feel the exact same way. I hate watching Stull play. I cringe everytime he drops back to pass. With Bostick, I at least feel like he can Make the throws, with Stull, its like having a root canal every game.

This Suneri kid may end up with the job if Stull craps the bed again and hopefully Bostick can finally get the Redshirt season we've been trying to give him for 2 years except Stull kept getting hurt.

Dino 6 Rings
09-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Freshman wows Pitt with formidable skills

If Adam Gunn wasn't impressed with Dan Mason before he bench-pressed 395 pounds and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds prior to Pitt's training camp, the sixth-year senior middle linebacker is now.

After watching the freshman from Penn Hills play with the presence of a veteran, Gunn didn't dismiss the possibility that he might end up playing next to Mason sometime this season instead of starting ahead of him.

"He's a fast guy, he's very physical and he has leadership characteristics that are ready to break through. When he gets the opportunity, I'm sure he'll shine," Gunn said. "It's my job to take him under my wing and watch film with him and make sure he understands exactly what's going on out there, make sure he's in his playbook. It's the whole mental aspect he's missing right now. Once he gets that, he's going to be a great player for us."

How great?

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt has called Mason the "real deal," and compared his traits favorably with three former Pitt linebackers playing in the NFL.

"He's got (Scott) McKillop's playmaking ability, H.B. Blades' seriousness and Clint Session's athletic ability," Wannstedt said. "He's like a combination of all those guys."

Not to put any pressure on Mason, considering that McKillop led the nation in tackles in 2007 and joined Blades as recipient of Big East defensive player of the year and first-team All-America honors and that Session starts for the Indianapolis Colts.

The 6-foot, 231-pounder wanted to prove that he wasn't just a workout warrior, so he treated the first day of practice in full pads as if it were an audition for a segment of ESPN's "Jacked Up." Soon, he was running with the second-team defense and looking like a star of the future - if not sooner.

"You see guys who can bench press a house but they can't do a lick on the field," Mason said. "I just wanted to go out there and prove that I have the skills, as well as the strength, and I can put them all together and be a good player."

Mason is one of three true freshmen expected to play when Pitt hosts Youngstown State at 1 p.m. Saturday at Heinz Field - tailbacks Dion Lewis and Ray Graham are the others -- and will start on the kickoff coverage and punt-return units.

Mason might actually prefer if the Panthers lost the coin toss.

"Being on kickoff, I'm just going to go out there and try to bust somebody's head and set the tone for the game," Mason said. "I know the defense is going to handle it and stop them, so I won't mind."

Wannstedt was so impressed with Mason's tenacity that the Pitt coach tells a story already bordering on the legendary. When ordered by strength and conditioning coach Buddy Morris to perform up-downs, an exercise that involves dropping from standing position into a push-up repeatedly, Wannstedt recalled that Mason "attacked those 25 up-downs like it was the opposing ball-carrier."

"I'd never seen a guy be that aggressive doing up-downs," Wannstedt said. "It's just his nature. You never have to talk him about giving effort. You're never going to have to talk to him about being ready to go."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_641072.html

Dino 6 Rings
09-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Audio Stream for the Pitt game.

http://www.fox970.com/cc-common/ondemand/player.html?world=st

hindes204
09-05-2009, 01:33 PM
i cant watch it over here...or listen to the stream...how do they look

Dino 6 Rings
09-05-2009, 01:42 PM
i cant watch it over here...or listen to the stream...how do they look

Got no visual myself, just the audio but they are stomping a mudhole in the Youngstown state. 21-3.

144 Rushing yards in just the first half. Ridiculous.

Dino 6 Rings
09-05-2009, 02:33 PM
12mins left in the 4th. Panthers 38. Y State 3.

hindes204
09-05-2009, 02:36 PM
12mins left in the 4th. Panthers 38. Y State 3.

Nice....I figured Pitt would blow em out, but you never know...any givin Saturday....its nice to see them get off to a good start

Dino 6 Rings
09-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Dion Lewis, our Running Back.

20 carries 129 yards 2 Tds 6.5 average

not bad.

millwalldavey
09-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Any word on Hynoski?

Dino 6 Rings
09-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Why is Bill Stull the starter?
Pitt football Q&A with Paul Zeise
Wednesday, September 09, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed/Post-GazettePitt quarterback Bill Stull gets a pass off under pressure from Youngstown State's Deonta Tate in the second quarter Saturday. Pitt won 38-3.Submit your Pitt football question

Thanks for participating in the Pitt football Q&A.

Keep the questions rolling in and I will answer them every day throughout the season and through whatever bowl game Pitt goes to, as well as through signing day in February.

One other thing -- my weekly live Pitt chats take place Thursdays at noon.

Q: What's the status on Sharif Harris and with Lewis' coming out party, where does he stand on the RB depth chart?
Bob Fitzmaurice, St. Pete Beach, Fla.

ZEISE: Harris has been activated (he returned to practice from his suspension last Wednesday but coaches opted to hold him out of the YSU game, no doubt to make sure the suspension stung a little bit more in hopes he perhaps got the message) and Wannstedt said will be back in the mix at tailback Saturday at Buffalo. I think we could see him in some short yardage situations. He is the one tailback that brings a little something different than the others because he is bigger and a little stronger. It will be interesting to see how much he plays, but I do expect we will see him out there in some situations. He will be second or third on the depth chart depending on what the game situation is. In other words, I think Ray Graham will be the guy who gives Dion Lewis a breather from time to time but Harris will be a guy who will be used in some short yardage and one-back situations.

Q: Is there the slightest chance we'll ever see the Panthers in true blue and gold throwback unies? Could be a great promotion for an early season game that probably wouldn't draw that big of a crowd anyway...
Ian O'Neill

ZEISE: Steve Pederson isn't a fan of the whole concept of throwback uniforms, so I wouldn't expect it to happen. And mostly because Pederson's top concern is selling tickets and let's be honest, having a game played in throwback uniforms wouldn't sell one more ticket than a regular game. I mean, seriously, thankfully the "We Want Script" crowd has been dwindling a little bit each year to the point where the only ones left are such Pitt fanatics they most likely already have tickets to all the games.

Q: If Pat Bostick is the best quarterback we have in the mental aspects of the game and Tino Sunseri is the best passer, why is Bill Stull the starter?
Mike Smith, Pittsburgh

ZEISE: Because Bill Stull is the most experienced player. He is the player who was the starter for eight of the Panthers nine wins last year. He is a little more physically gifted than Bostick and a lot more experienced than Sunseri. So in some ways, he is the best option because he is the best combination of experience and physical ability on the roster. But make no mistake, if he doesn't get it done, the other two -- or at the very least Sunseri -- will get an opportunity to step in there.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09252/996811-214.stm#ixzz0QeDxxECh

Dino 6 Rings
09-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Pitt taking Buffalo seriously
Wednesday, September 09, 2009
Matt Freed/Post-GazettePitt tight end Nate Byham is expected to have an expanded role at Buffalo Saturday.Perhaps, the two best things to happen for Pitt as it prepares for its game Saturday at Buffalo are that the Bulls won their opener at UTEP, 23-17, and nearly beat the Panthers last season at Heinz Field.

As a result, it is unlikely that the Panthers will overlook the Bulls. At least, that is what the Panthers and coach Dave Wannstedt spent yesterday trying to tell the world.

"When we looked at the game [against Buffalo last season, won, 27-16, by the Panthers], in the fourth quarter with about 10 minutes left, we were only up by a point," Wannstedt said at his weekly news conference.

"Buffalo is playing with a lot of confidence right now. They've just come off a huge road win at UTEP. They were MAC champions last year and, by starting their season off on the good note, we know this is a huge game for them."

Senior middle linebacker Adam Gunn added, "they are a program on the rise. They are a team who has a lot of confidence right now, and I told our younger guys that they need to recognize that this is Buffalo's biggest game of the season.

"We need to be ready to bring our best game and we understand this."

Gunn has some first-hand experience at losing to a Mid-American Conference team on the road because he was on the 2005 Pitt team that lost, 16-10, in overtime at Ohio University.

He said he has shared that experience to the team because the thing he remembers the most was the intensity with which the Bobcats played and the Panthers' inability to match it until it was too late.

"The stadium was sold out, but it was only like 30,000 fans or something," Gunn said.

"But it was the loudest stadium I have ever heard and I expect it to be the same way Saturday.

"Buffalo is going to come after us right from the start, and they are a very good team with some excellent players. This is not going to be an easy game by any measure."

Byham coming around
Senior tight end Nate Byham (concussion) played Saturday against Youngstown State, but in a limited way. He had no pass receptions.

Wannstedt said the Panthers were being cautious and that Byham will have an expanded role against Buffalo and thereafter.

"The early part of last week, we weren't sure how much he was going to play, if he was going to play at all," Wannstedt said. "We know Nate is one of the best players we have on this team, and he is a major part of this team.

"But, depending on what the defense is doing, it might be a week-to-week thing [how many passes he catches].

"He is healthy and ready to go, and last week he really only practiced one day full speed because we were trying to keep him away from contact stuff."

Recruit
Pitt landed a recruit from Eastern Pennsylvania when safety Eric Williams of Pennsbury High School near Philadelphia made a verbal commitment to the Panthers Monday.

Williams (6 feet 3, 210 pounds) chose Pitt over Temple and also had scholarship offers from Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Akron and Kent State.

Some schools liked Williams as a receiver, but Pitt wants him as a defensive back. He could also grow into a linebacker.

"There was a reasonable amount of schools recruiting me as a receiver," Williams said. "I feel comfortable on both sides of the ball. Whatever comes doesn't matter to me. I just want to be on the field."

Quick hits
The Panthers escaped injury against Youngstown State except for special-teams ace Dan Cafaro, who sustained a knee injury and will not play against Buffalo. ... Fullback Henry Hynoski earned the "block" award from coaches. "We give out the block award each week for the guy who has the most visible pancake block," Wannstedt said. ... The other first-game winners were tailback Dion Lewis (offense), Gunn (defense) and kicker/punter Dan Hutchins (special teams). "Dan Hutchins made all of his extra points, he dropped two punts inside the 20, one inside the 10 and he made all of his extra points as well as his one field-goal attempt." ... Three of Pitt's next four games are on the road, but Wannstedt is not worried and with good reason. The Panthers have won six of their past seven road games. "If we're going to be a good football team," Wannstedt said, "we have to deal with the variables of traveling and playing on the road."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09252/996486-233.stm#ixzz0QeEYMOJu

Dino 6 Rings
09-12-2009, 02:05 PM
7th longest run in Pitt School history...nice touchdown by Lewis to seal the game away. Very good.

Stull Sucks still. Offense had problems all day, and over 100 yards in penalties is not going to get the job done. At least they got the win.

steelersfanman92
09-12-2009, 02:21 PM
The D was embarrassing, to many penalties, and a crappy QB. Pitt needs a lot of work if they want to be a good team. The one good part of this game to me was Dion Lewis.

Dino 6 Rings
10-07-2009, 11:46 AM
LETS GO PITT!

Dino 6 Rings
10-07-2009, 12:01 PM

what's this year's excuse?

Dino 6 Rings
10-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Pitt Notebook: Stull Big East player of week
Tuesday, October 06, 2009
Matt Freed/Post-GazettePitt quarterback Bill Stull was named the Big East Conference offensive player of the week.Pitt quarterback Bill Stull took another step yesterday in his rise toward what has to be one of the early favorites for the "rags to riches" stories of the year in college football when he was named the Big East Conference offensive player of the week.

Stull, whose stellar play has been a big reason the Panthers are off to a 4-1 start this season, completed 16 of 23 passes for 242 yards and three touchdowns in Pitt's 35-10 victory Friday at Louisville.

His effort was the continuation of the excellent season that he's piecing together as he is Division I-A's fifth-rated passer (167.5 rating, first in Big East). He has completed 77 of 116 passes for 988 yards and perhaps most impressive -- he has thrown 11 touchdown passes and only one interception.

Stull said yesterday the award was nice, but his goals have more to do with wins and losses than statistics or individual awards.

"It is great to [get recognized], but this is the ultimate team game," Stull said. "And this team is really coming together and it is exciting to be a part of it. And nothing can be established without the work of the guys up front, and I don't think they get enough credit for everything they do."

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said he is proud of Stull and happy for him, but he also knows that there is a lot of the season left to be played.

"That's a nice award," Wannstedt said, "Bill's playing extremely well right now. I think the most important thing for Bill, just as he put things behind him early in the season and was able to put his focus on the Buffalo game, I think now when you have some success you have to put that behind you, too."

Quick slants
Receiver/kick returner Cameron Saddler (ankle) is out for the game Saturday against Connecticut. His ankle was injured in the first quarter of the Louisville game. ... Wannstedt said safety Elijah Fields (ankle) will practice this week. "I'm optimistic, he'll be OK," Wannstedt said. ... Although Stull has played well, Wannstedt said he still would like to get backup Tino Sunseri into some games. "Tino is ready to go every week," Wannstedt said. "We would have hoped to have more opportunities to get him into some games, but sometimes it is difficult." ... Connecticut quarterback Cody Endres starred and graduated from Trinity High School (Washington County) but Pitt did not recruit him. "I do remember seeing him play," Wannstedt said. "We were recruiting some guys at Thomas Jefferson who played against him but we just weren't in the market for a quarterback at the time. We were pretty well set."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09279/1003332-233.stm#ixzz0TGpRppE6

I'm still not sold on Stull...but for him...

Clap Clap Clap

Dino 6 Rings
10-10-2009, 03:55 PM
GOD DAMNNNNN STULL!

Seriously! WTF!

He gets one week of praise and then starts playing like crap!

AHHHHRRRRRGGGGGG!!!!!

OneForTheToe
10-10-2009, 08:55 PM
If Pitt can play the proverbial 60 minute game they can be so dominate with their offense. That running game is impressive.

Dino 6 Rings
10-11-2009, 10:47 AM
we got lucky. It was a good win but we never should have been down 15 to begin with, lots of missed opportunities early and lots of mistakes. We lucked out big time. I'll take the Big East Win.

Dino 6 Rings
10-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Rutgers' run defense poses problems for Pitt

It would have been hard for Rutgers not to improve defensively after its season-opening loss to Cincinnati. Not only did the Scarlet Knights give up 47 points -- the most they had allowed in six seasons -- but Cincinnati gained 564 yards.

The fact that Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike threw for 362 of those yards was difficult to watch, but what was more galling for coach Greg Schiano was the Bearcats' 168 rushing yards.

"Stopping the run is what we do here at Rutgers, so what happened was disappointing," Schiano said.

When Pitt travels to play at Rutgers tomorrow night, the Panthers will be facing a much-improved run defense. After four consecutive victories, the Scarlet Knights have climbed all the way to the top of the Big East Conference in that category. They are allowing an average of 65.2 yards per game after limiting their past three opponents to a combined 45 rushing yards, including "holding" Division I-AA foe Texas Southern to minus-25 yards on the ground in a 42-0 victory last week.

"In that Cincinnati game, we didn't play Rutgers defense," said Scarlet Knights linebacker Ryan D'Imperio, a preseason first-team all-Big East selection. "We've come a long way since that game. We've made a lot of adjustments, a lot of improvements."

One of the adjustments, D'Imperio said, was getting used to the increased crowd noise at the renovated Rutgers Stadium, which added extra seats in the offseason and now houses more than 53,000 fans on game days.

"We had a lot of miscommunication that first game because we couldn't hear," D'Imperio said.

The crowd does not figure to be any less raucous for Rutgers' first Big East game since the Cincinnati loss. Those fans -- and others who follow college football -- are eager to see whether the Scarlet Knights' improvements are for real, or if they merely came against a watered-down schedule that included Division I-A foes Howard and Texas Southern plus Florida International and Maryland, the worst team in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Schiano knows he will have a better idea of how improved the run defense is after facing Pitt, which ran for 221 yards in its victory Saturday against Connecticut. Freshman running back Dion Lewis is second in the Big East with 123 yards per game.

"This week is a huge challenge," Schiano said. "Pitt is an experienced group. Their offensive line is playing as well as any offensive line in the country. They have not one, but two, good backs. They have good vision, speed, the whole deal. If it was just that, you could load up against the run and force the quarterback to beat you, but is playing as high from an efficiency level as anyone, and they have three of the better pass-catchers in the league. They're an explosive offense, and it's difficult to choose what to emphasize."

[B]Rutgers has had Pitt's number in recent years, winning the past four meetings, including a 54-34 victory last season at Heinz Field. In those four games, Pitt has averaged just 76 yards rushing. In the 2005 game at Rutgers Stadium, the Panthers had minus-11 yards rushing in a 37-29 loss.

Rutgers is a difficult team to play because the Scarlet Knights blitz a lot and have their linebackers and defensive linemen constantly move before the snap.

"You have to handle it physically, but they force you to handle it mentally, too," Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said. "You have to be sharp."

Pitt is only fifth in the Big East in rushing offense (166.5 yards per game), but Stull sees a growing confidence in the running game and the offense as a whole.

"I think Connecticut was No. 1 last week, and we kind of had something to do with [the Huskies falling to fourth in rush defense this week]," Stull said.

"That's another tribute to our guys up front. They got the game ball this week from them stepping up in the second half. We finished with 221 yards rushing. That's awesome."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09288/1005646-233.stm#ixzz0U1aQ5rUb

steelersfanman92
10-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Pitt is #20 in the BCS right now!

Dino 6 Rings
10-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Pitt is #20 in the BCS right now!

Yes....Yes they are!!! :tt04:

OneForTheToe
10-24-2009, 12:45 PM
It is only half time but Pitt is just destroying South Florida. pitt is the far superior team so they should win. However, in the past Pitt has played down to the comp, but not today.

hindes204
10-24-2009, 12:56 PM
They are actually showing the game over here, first one ive gotten to see all year. We are destroying them, total domination in the first half. Stull is having a hell of a game

KeiselPower99
10-24-2009, 03:47 PM
That Pitt game was fun to watch. They are gonna be there in the end. When do they play Cincy?

Dino 6 Rings
10-26-2009, 11:13 AM

How about now?

PITT Ranked 15 in the BCS This Morning!

hindes204
10-26-2009, 12:24 PM
How about now?

PITT Ranked 15 in the BCS This Morning!

SWEET!!!!!!!

OneForTheToe
11-01-2009, 01:00 AM
Pitt didn't play this week which sometimes hurts a team in the standings. Utah and Houston barely survived and OH St beat up on a cream puff. So I think Pitt will not be passed by a team behind them unless the voters or the computers get a hard on for Miami (which is possible). Directly in front of Pitt OKLA ST got destroyed and VT lost. So, I think Pitt moves up two spots to 13 (14 if Miami passes them). I think Pitt should be in front of USC, but that won't happen this week.

Of course, with the last three games on Pitt's schedule, they could easily end up in the top 10 or completely out of the rankings depending.

hindes204
11-07-2009, 11:16 AM
They are actually showing the Pitt game over here....Offense looks good so far, should be 7-3, but settled for a feild goal....tied up, 3-3

OneForTheToe
11-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Slow start but the D got em going.

hindes204
11-07-2009, 01:21 PM
They're cruisin now....27-3 PITT!!!!!!!!!

hindes204
11-07-2009, 02:14 PM
37-10 final.....should have been 37-3, but careless penalties killed them at the end of the game. 6 sacks!!!!!, way to go D

iloveben7
11-07-2009, 03:41 PM
woot! Go PITT!! I stayed the entire game even though like no one else did lol. Those penalties at the end were just idk. The refs definately wanted Syracuse to get a TD at the end. Fighting Irish are next

OneForTheToe
11-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Go UConn.:thumbsup:

Dino 6 Rings
11-10-2009, 09:34 AM
that's exactly what we needed. Beating a team we Should Beat by 27 points. That was a great game.

Up next. The Irish!

Dino 6 Rings
11-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Pitt Notebook: Notre Dame could be a trap for Panthers

Just how big is the Pitt-Notre Dame game Saturday still is a matter of debate, particularly since it is a non-conference contest.

Certainly there is Big East Conference honor for Pitt to defend, and winning on national television is never a bad thing, but the reality is that the Big East game Friday night between West Virginia (7-2, 3-1) and Cincinnati (9-0, 5-0) is far more meaningful to Pitt than Saturday's game against the Fighting Irish.

If Cincinnati beats West Virginia, the game between the Bearcats and Panthers (8-1, 5-0) Dec. 5 at Heinz Field will be for the Big East championship and a BCS berth regardless of what happens with either team between Friday and then.

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said yesterday that the Notre Dame game will always be a big game for Pitt regardless of the circumstances, but it is not quite as big as the Panthers' two historical rivalries -- even though they only play one these days.

"No, to be honest with you [the Notre Dame game] was nothing like playing West Virginia or playing Penn State," Wannstedt said when asked if the Notre Dame game was approached with the same attitude as the other two games. "I think it was because of familiarity with the players. I played in the Big 33 game and played with a lot of guys who played at both West Virginia and Penn State. I'd see those guys in the summer and see them year round."

Regardless of Notre Dame's rich history, Wannstedt said, he was familiar with very few players for the Irish in his day.

Talented team
Wannstedt looked at the two-deep and roster of Notre Dame for the first time Saturday after the Syracuse game and said he was amazed by the number of talented players the Irish have.

He said there was no question that Notre Dame is the most talented team the Panthers will play and clearly one of the most talented teams in the country -- particularly on offense.

"There are, I don't even know how many actually, first-round draft picks on [Notre Dame's] offensive line," Wannstedt said. "Then the quarterback is a first-round draft pick, I think receivers are first-round picks, the running backs are awfully talented and who knows because they are still young.

"So as a group this will be a tremendous challenge."

Quick hits
The Steelers have a big home game Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, but for once, they won't be the focus for the city, at least not Friday. Mayor Luke Ravenstahl has declared that day "Turn it Blue Day" in anticipation of the Pitt-Notre Dame game. Ravenstahl said in a statement yesterday, "This weekend, let's 'Turn it Blue' and show our support for our own hometown team as they take on the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame. We'll have the eyes of the nation watching us, and I'm confident that with the talent we have this season and with the support of Pitt fans our team will be successful. Go Pitt!" People are encouraged to wear blue that day. ... Yesterday's practice was in full pads. "We have a lot of work to do," Wannstedt said. ... It appears that the Panthers will be at full strength Saturday as there are no reported new injuries.

Paul Zeise can be reached at pzeise@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1720

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09315/1012439-233.stm#ixzz0WlWYqLQY

Dino 6 Rings
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Here we go...I was at this game. Great time.

Pitt vs ND: 10 years later

Ten years ago today, Pitt closed Pitt Stadium with a stunning 37-27 victory over Notre Dame.

With nine seconds remaining, Pitt fans rushed the field and tore down the goal posts. Among those ripping apart the artificial turf for keepsakes was a fifth-grader named Dorin Dickerson, a decade before he would star for the No. 8 Panthers (8-1), who play host to Notre Dame (6-3) at 8 p.m. Saturday at Heinz Field.

"People were going crazy," Dickerson said. "It should be pretty exciting this week."

Dickerson hopes that the spirit captured that night at Pitt Stadium is present with a sellout crowd at Heinz Field, the home the Panthers now share with the Steelers. A victory over the Fighting Irish would seal the post-game comments by former Pitt coach Walt Harris, who lamented Pitt Stadium's demise.

"I just wish we didn't have to tear our stadium down to get them to come," Harris said. "I don't know what we're going to do for an encore."

As long as he lives, Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson says, he will never be able to describe the feeling of watching Hall of Famer Marshall Goldberg symbolically capturing the spirit of Pitt Stadium in a small wooden chest after the game.

Except for this: "It was the perfect end to a perfect night."

Harris believes the pressure was on Pitt to perform, and the underdog Panthers responded.

"It was such a great feeling, such a great relief," said Harris, Pitt's coach from 1997-2004. "We needed to win. To put the final touches on a storied stadium and continue to build our program back to where it needed to be - and where it should be - there was no way we could do anything but win."

That the grand finale came against the most storied school in college football was pure coincidence, Pederson said, as it was scheduled years earlier and prior to the decision to demolish Pitt Stadium.

"When you look back and wonder how things happen, certainly that wasn't choreographed," Pederson said. "It's just how things fell."

Things fell into place perfectly for Pitt the night of Nov. 13, 1999, marked by the return of 400-plus lettermen to honor the end of a 74-year era and, ultimately, the resurrection of Pitt's football program. None of that was lost on then-Notre Dame coach Bob Davie.

"I came in there with my eyes wide open. I knew exactly what that could be," said Davie, a Moon native and 1977 Pitt graduate assistant. "The difficult part is conveying that to your players, who don't share that nostalgia. I knew totally what that was going to be."

The Panthers were playing with their backup quarterback, John Turman, who completed 10 of 27 passes for 231 yards, two interceptions and a pair of touchdown passes to Antonio Bryant. Nick Lotz kicked three field goals, including a 33-yarder for a 20-17 lead in a game that twice was tied.

"That was history in the making," Pitt radio play-by-play man Bill Hillgrove said, "and, gosh, it was dramatic."

Adding to the drama was the Western Pennsylvania flavor that played a major role. Linebacker Scott McCurley, a Mohawk graduate, blocked a Notre Dame field goal before halftime to preserve a 10-10 tie and later intercepted a pass tipped by safety Ramon Walker with Pitt clinging to a 30-27 lead midway through the fourth quarter.

That set up the heroics of running back Kevan Barlow, a Peabody graduate who carried nine times in 10 plays and scored on a 2-yard run for a 37-27 edge with one minute, 41 seconds remaining.

Notre Dame responded with a 42-yard pass from Jarious Jackson to tight end Bobby Brown to the Pitt 13, but a fourth-down throw was broken up by Robb Butler, a Perry Traditional Academy graduate.

"That was my first real experience of how crazy it can get on campus for a Pitt game," said Rod Rutherford, a Pitt freshman at the time and now a graduate assistant for the Panthers. "Nothing was able to match the energy for it being a Notre Dame game and the last game at home at Pitt Stadium. We captured the spirit. Everything that went into that game was unbelievably memorable, something that I'll never forget.

"That was their signature on the closing of the stadium."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_652909.html

OneForTheToe
11-15-2009, 02:06 AM
I can't believe I am the first post after the game. Great game. Pitt was truly the better team. I'll give ND credit for fighting back against a banged up Pitt secondary. Pitt should break the BCS top ten this week.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Great game! Beating ND is always a treat!

Dino 6 Rings
11-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Was a great game and never should have gotten as close as it did at the end. Pitt Dominated for most of the game making ND look slow, confused and out matched. If it wasn't for Golden on their team, they wouldn't even be considered a worthy opponent.

Dino 6 Rings
11-17-2009, 11:23 AM

Too bad you got banned so early into the season you pole smoking idiot.

Cincy # 5 in the BCS
Pitt # 9 in the BCS

That's 2 in the Top 10

Suck the Egg jackhole. Suck it.

hindes204
11-17-2009, 11:29 AM
Too bad you got banned so early into the season you pole smoking idiot.

Cincy # 5 in the BCS
Pitt # 9 in the BCS

That's 2 in the Top 10

Suck the Egg jackhole. Suck it.

:rofl:.........nice :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
11-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Should have made some bets with him about that....oh, wait. It's Steel Head....nevermind....

Dino 6 Rings
11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Pitt announces non-conference shedule for next four seasons
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Pitt announced its non-conference football schedules for the next four years. The most significant development is that Florida International was added to fill in next year's schedule:

• 2010: New Hampshire (Sept. 4), at Utah (Sept. 11), Miami, Fla. (Sept. 25), Florida International (Oct. 2), at Notre Dame (Oct. 9).

• 2011: Buffalo (Sept. 3), Maine (Sept. 10), at Iowa (Sept. 17), Notre Dame (Sept. 24), Utah (Oct. 15)

• 2012: TBA (Sept. 1), Central Florida (Sept. 8), Virginia Tech (Sept. 15), at Buffalo (Oct. 6), at Notre Dame (Nov. 3).

• 2013: Villanova (Aug. 31), at Virginia Tech (Sept. 14), N.C. State (Sept. 21), at Navy (Oct. 26) and Notre Dame (Nov. 9).

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09328/1015816-142.stm#ixzz0Xnd4AIK8

I hate that they are playing Div II Schools...makes me sick to my stomach actually.

Dino 6 Rings
11-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Pitt thrives with conventional offense
Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09328/1015815-233.stm#ixzz0XndIReJb

Pitt and West Virginia have vastly different offensive systems, with one team using a more mainstream offense and the other a more unconventional offense.

But the interesting thing about that is this -- although West Virginia's read-option spread is considered innovative and new, it is more popular. Spread offenses are more common in college football than Pitt's traditional pro-style, power-running offense.

So much so that Dave Wannstedt said that preparing for the spread offenses might be easier than preparing for pro-style offenses because the former is so prevalent and the latter is becoming extinct, almost like the wishbone.

"We're definitely in the minority with what we are doing here. We're dinosaurs," Wannstedt said. "There are very few college teams using a fullback like we use him. We're running a pro-style offense. That's one comment that we get after playing opponents, that their defensive coaches express to our coaches afterwards, that they don't see our offense week in and week out.

"It is different, playing against a power attack. It all sounds good, but very few people are committed to it like we are."

Wannstedt may be overstating the case of his offense being unconventional a little bit, but not by much, particularly the part about using a fullback the way the Panthers do.

Pitt fullback Henry Hynoski is clearly a throwback kind of player -- in every sense of the word -- and he is used often in the role of a traditional blocking back, which in these days of empty-set spread offenses and one-back sets is clearly an outdated position.

But it wasn't that long ago that the pro-style offense was the conventional offense and the spread offenses were gimmicks.

That changed in the early part of the decade, in part because of the success had by people such as former West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez running spread offenses. A quick glance around the country suggests that the spread is no longer a gimmick.

Just look at the Big East -- West Virginia, Syracuse, South Florida and Cincinnati are all spread formation teams.

Connecticut is the only Big East team other than Pitt that uses a fullback often.

Taking a look at the top 10 -- No. 1 Florida, No. 3 Texas, No. 4 TCU, No. 5 Boise State and No. 8 Oregon are spread teams, No. 7 Georgia Tech is a triple-option team and No. 10 Ohio State is trying to figure out a system to fit Terrelle Pryor's abilities.

Only two teams in the top 10 -- Pitt and No. 2 Alabama -- are traditional, pro-style offenses built on power running.

Wannstedt said that is much different than the landscape 10 years ago, but it is clearly the way college football was headed once it became clear there were a lot more athletes available than pro-style quarterbacks.

He was asked why he has resisted the movement to the spread or one of the other versions of the offenses that abound in college football, and he said that he is comfortable with his philosophy. He also believes it helps in recruiting because players are getting trained in an NFL-style system.

"I believe in what we do," Wannstedt said. "I know that you can be successful doing what we are doing. We recruit players to fit into our system. We're going to go out and recruit great running backs, great receivers, great tight ends and quarterbacks that can throw the ball. I think it helps our defense, too.

"Our defense has to be tough. Going against our offense all training camp and in spring practice, it's not finesse."

Dino 6 Rings
11-27-2009, 09:17 AM
THE BACKYARD BRAWL!!!

Pitt Football: Panthers' '07 win triggered changes

Pitt's 13-9 upset victory against No. 2 West Virginia at the end of the 2007 regular season might be considered the game that changed the college football landscape.

A theory goes as follows: Had West Virginia won (and thus had gone to the national championship game instead of Louisiana State), Rich Rodriguez would still be the Mountaineers' coach, or, at the very least, would not have left for Michigan a few weeks after that game.

Instead, LSU coach Les Miles would have taken the Michigan job (hours before the Southeastern Conference championship game, he had to debunk a report that he had accepted the Michigan post) and his defensive coordinator, Bo Pelini, would be the head coach at LSU now and not at Nebraska. Several other dominoes would have fallen differently as well.

While there is no way to prove or disprove any of that, there is no disputing that game changed Pitt's fortunes in more ways than even its coach, Dave Wannstedt, could name.

Tonight, ninth-ranked Pitt (9-1, 5-0 Big East) and West Virginia (7-3, 3-2) will meet in the 102nd edition of the Backyard Brawl at the same venue -- Mountaineer Field -- where the Panthers, as 29-point underdogs, shocked the college football world two years ago.

Wannstedt said that victory clearly was a turning point in his program. It is hard to argue that point when considering this: Pitt, under Wannstedt, was 15-19 leading up to that game, but 18-5 since.

"I think that win, when you look back on it, it gave us life," Wannstedt said. "That would be the way that I would classify it. By that I mean we had so many recruits that were right on the bubble, and it gave us an opportunity to get one more shot at these guys and to say [to them] that it will happen and to believe in us. I think it was energizing for our players.

"Winning that game, I can remember the first day of the off-season program in January. We had as much enthusiasm, from a team standpoint, to get started and to try to build on that for the next year, which was last year, as any. I'm sure just for our fans it was a shot in the arm, a little bit of hope.

"I really think it helped our program in several areas that today we look back on and probably it was the turning point since I've been here, without a doubt."

Wannstedt said an immediate benefit of that victory was that the Panthers got about eight commitments within the next week or two and that included commitments from a few players who were at the game on official visits with West Virginia.

"I remember going out there for pregame warm-ups, and the recruits were all lined up on the sidelines and I looked over and could see all of these kids that we were recruiting and that they were recruiting," Wannstedt said. "Two or three of those kids that were right there [at the game] committed with us."

Wannstedt did not name the players he was referring to, but it has been well-documented that redshirt freshmen defensive end Shayne Hale and wide receiver Cameron Saddler, two Gateway High School graduates, were swayed by that game.

Saddler has told the story about how he was on an official visit to West Virginia that weekend but walked off the field with Pitt's players and went to their locker room. Pitt also picked up a commitment from receiver Mike Shanahan of Norwin -- who chose Pitt instead of West Virginia -- shortly after the game.

"That game put us on the map," said defensive tackle Mick Williams. "You can believe that."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09331/1016654-233.stm#ixzz0Y4bbaVSu

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09331/1016654-233.stm#ixzz0Y4bXiKI5

KeiselPower99
11-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Should be a great game tonight. Im not a Eer fan but do enjoy this game. Actually Ill be wearing my Pitt hoodie today. Its snowing and in the 30's Great football weather.

Hotrodder07
11-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Should be a great game tonight. Im not a Eer fan but do enjoy this game. Actually Ill be wearing my Pitt hoodie today. Its snowing and in the 30's Great football weather.

Good game, but a terrible outcome.

OneForTheToe
11-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Not a big surprise to me. Playing your rival when you are highly ranked is rarely easy. Look how much trouble Alabama had today with Auburn. Or, even the Texas /Texas A&M game, which was closer than expected. Now Pitt has to figure out a way to put this behind them and beat Cincinnati.

steelersfanman92
11-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Pitt is now ranked #15

Dino 6 Rings
11-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Yep...that is why its called a Rivalry Game...time to regroup and win the Big East.

Cape Cod Steel Head
12-03-2009, 01:05 PM
RIP Foge Fazio.

Dino 6 Rings
12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Former Pitt coach Foge Fazio dies at age 71
By ALAN ROBINSON (AP) – 17 hours ago

PITTSBURGH — Foge Fazio, who succeeded Jackie Sherrill as the football coach at alma mater Pittsburgh and later was a defensive coordinator for the NFL's Vikings and Browns, died Wednesday night following a lengthy battle with leukemia. He was 71.

Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson confirmed Fazio's death while attending the Pitt-Duquesne basketball game on Wednesday night.

Fazio, who grew up in Coraopolis, Pa., in suburban Pittsburgh, was a former Pitt linebacker and center and was chosen as the team MVP in 1959. He was drafted by the AFL's Boston Patriots in 1960 but soon after moved into coaching. He spent nine seasons as a Pitt assistant, the final three as defensive coordinator, before being promoted to head coach in 1982, following three successive 11-1 seasons under Sherrill.

Fazio's first Pitt team, quarterbacked by Dan Marino, began the season ranked No. 1 and started 7-0, but lost three of its final five as the Panthers' offense struggled. His 1983 team went 8-3-1, but he was fired with two years left on his contract following a 31-0 loss to Penn State in 1985.

Fazio was 25-18-3 at Pitt, including a 3-7-1 record in 1984.

"I don't know that anyone embodied the Pitt spirit better than Foge Fazio," Pederson said. "It was obvious from the first time that I met him how passionate he was about this university and its football program. Foge had the unique ability to make everyone he came in contact with feel special. In so many ways he represented all the great things associated with the University of Pittsburgh."

After leaving Pitt, Fazio was hired as coach Lou Holtz's defensive coordinator at Notre Dame. He also was an assistant coach with the Falcons, Jets and Redskins and was the defensive coordinator of the Vikings (1996-98) and Browns (2001-02). He retired with Cleveland in 2003 but returned two years later as a Vikings defensive consultant under coach Mike Tice.

Fazio spent the last two seasons as a radio analyst on Pitt football broadcasts, but hadn't worked this season since the South Florida game on Oct. 24. He recently told broadcast partner Bill Hillgrove he hoped to return for the No. 14 Panthers game Saturday against No. 5 Cincinnati.

"Foge was a true 'Pitt Man,' " Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt said. "He loved this university and everyone at Pitt loved Foge. He was an outstanding football coach and an even better person. From the time I came back to Pittsburgh five years ago, no one has been a better friend or supporter of what we are doing at Pitt. He will be greatly missed."

Pitt basketball coach Jamie Dixon also knew Fazio and called the Panthers' 67-58, double-overtime win over Duquesne as "bittersweet" because it came on the night Fazio died.

Even after being diagnosed, Fazio was helping Our Lady of Sacred Heart High School in Coraopolis start a football program that will begin play in 2010.

Fazio was born Serafino Dante Fazio, but was called Foge because of the way he pronounced the word "fudge" as a youngster.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gDeSj2W60cIK8wj2Q46z24DRmhBgD9CBK1HG0

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Dion Lewis scored for Pitt while Jacob Ramsey scored for Cincy. 7-7 with 5:17 in the 1st.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Pass to Baldwin in the endzone was reviewed. Called Incomplete on the field

After Review: Overturned. He had it in bounds.

14-7 Panthers.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Field Goal by Jake Rogers makes it 14-10 Panthers.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Touchdown by Baldwin Makes it 21-10 Panthers. DeCicco INT gives Pitt the Ball in Cincy Territory.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Hutchins makes it 24-10.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Pitt just got a HUUUUUGE blocked punt.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Bill Stull Scores to make 31-10 Pitt.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Mardy Gilyard with his 5th Kickoff Return for a TD.

31-17 Pitt. This is gonna be a shootout ladies and gentlemen. Best have all of your bullets ready.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Pike To Gilyard Touchdown Cincinnati. 31-24 Panthers with 8:12 in the 3rd.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Holly with a pick. Pitt takes over.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Dion Lewis provides a CRITICAL TD 38-24 Panthers.

Nadroj 20
12-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Dion Lewis provides a CRITICAL TD 38-24 Panthers.

This is the first time i have watched him play and i think hes pretty special.

A Heisman trophy is certainly possible sometime in his career.

stillers4me
12-05-2009, 01:58 PM
And UC Bungles the extra point!

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Touchdown Collaros to Woods. Botched XP. 38-30 Pitt

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Pead from 1 yard out. Collaros to Gilyard for the 2PAT. We're Tied 38-38

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Dion Lewis gives the Panthers the lead 44-38. Botched Kick.

supa_fly_steeler
12-05-2009, 02:33 PM
wow the botched kick holder is a twat. now cincy leads, stupid

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Pike to Binns Touchdown Bearcats. 45-44 Cincinnati.

supa_fly_steeler
12-05-2009, 02:41 PM
the place holder wont sleep soundly tonight lol

Fire Haley
12-05-2009, 02:46 PM
The field is cursed - it's tainted with giving up big leads and losing in the 4th qtr.

OneForTheToe
12-05-2009, 02:54 PM
The field is cursed - it's tainted with giving up big leads and losing in the 4th qtr.

Or the inability for the home team to cover a kick.. I don't think there should be any solace for Pitt in playing a top five team to the wire. This was Pitt's game to win and they let it slip away. A missed extra point. Terrible kick off coverage. Shouldn't the kicker be told to look for Mardy Gilyard before he kicks off? If he is back you pooch it. If he is up you kick it deep. I feel sorry for Lewis. He played his heart out and then some.

Edman
12-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Something just isn't right with Pittsburgh football this year. First the Steelers, now the Panthers. Well, with the Panthers, nothing was ever right. At least the Steelers won something, and still have a chance to do something.

Pitt will never succeed under Wannstedt. He is simply not a good coach. He does less with more, meanwhile Brian Kelly does more with less in no time at all. The Bill Stull experiment is over, and Wannstache has just about had it. We've seen five years of mediocrity. Five Years of nothing. Five years of losing to Ohios, Bowling Greens, NC States, getting shut out 3-0 in low-profile bowl games against mediocre PAC-10 teams. Five years of "We didn't run fast enough".

Wannstache has tried and failed. It's time for a new direction.

BlastFurnace
12-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Something just isn't right with Pittsburgh football this year. First the Steelers, now the Panthers. Well, with the Panthers, nothing was ever right. At least the Steelers won something, and still have a chance to do something.

Pitt will never succeed under Wannstedt. He is simply not a good coach. He does less with more, meanwhile Brian Kelly does more with less in no time at all. The Bill Stull experiment is over, and Wannstache has just about had it. We've seen five years of mediocrity. Five Years of nothing. Five years of losing to Ohios, Bowling Greens, NC States, getting shut out 3-0 in low-profile bowl games against mediocre PAC-10 teams. Five years of "We didn't run fast enough".

I look at it this way.....Pitt just took up all the bad karma from the Steelers tomorrow.

HometownGal
12-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I look at it this way.....Pitt just took up all the bad karma from the Steelers tomorrow.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

I'm a little concerned about how the field will fare tomorrow. It is flurrying here right now with temps hovering around 30. Tomorrow's forecast is a high of 37 and sunny.

This game was a heartbreaker, as the Panthers had such a big lead in the first half. They should at least get a decent bowl game.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 03:43 PM

I'm a little concerned about how the field will fare tomorrow. It is flurrying here right now with temps hovering around 30. Tomorrow's forecast is a high of 37 and sunny.

This game was a heartbreaker, as the Panthers had such a big lead in the first half. They should at least get a decent bowl game.

Projections say Meinke Car Care Bowl and a day with UNC looms large.

KeiselPower99
12-05-2009, 03:46 PM

I feel for ya. The last 5 years of being a Marshall fan has been incredibly rough.

OneForTheToe
12-05-2009, 04:06 PM

They should but I fear they won't. Once you get away from the automatics, its all about the cabooses you can bring along. Unfortunately, Pitt doesn't travel that well. John Deere - Edsel - Molly Maid - Brillo Pad - Ivory -Grey Poupon - Avocado Bowl, here we come.

KeiselPower99
12-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Now anything named after Brut colonge has to be good.

SteelCityMan786
12-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Now anything named after Brut colonge has to be good.

Oregon State would agree.

Dino 6 Rings
12-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Well hats off to Cincy for winning a game they were clearing beaten down in but never game up and made a great come back. Hats off Bearcats.

Now on to a Bowl and a possible 10th win for the season.

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 03:53 PM
And there we have it.

Pitt wins their Bowl game, with a killer 8:47 drive at the end of the game to kick the game winning FG, D holds late and they finish 10-3 on the season with a Bowl Win.

Next year, preseason top 25 ranking and a competive schedule to only improve and move forward with the goal of a Big East Title and a BCS Bowl Win.

LETS GO PITT!!!

iloveben7
12-27-2009, 10:48 PM
woot go Pitt!! 1st 10 win season since 1981

SteelCityMan786
12-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Wannstedt is showing signs he will be a help for the Panthers after all. The hard count on the last scoring drive was genius.

Dino 6 Rings
12-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Wannstedt is showing signs he will be a help for the Panthers after all. The hard count on the last scoring drive was genius.

His recruiting alone is doing the job. And his philosphy being a Run First and use 4 Dlinemen to pressure the QB, may seem archaic, yet it works.

Imagine that. A Run First, Pocket QB, play action pass offense with a Stout D Line and good 3 linebackers and cover corners can actually still win games!!!

:tt04: