PDA

View Full Version : NFL is destroying the Steelers

Preacher
07-31-2008, 12:51 AM
So...

when it is all said and done, it has NOTHING to do with gaming. Fact is, the gaming aspect has been completely taken care of.

They are simply FORCING one son to have 30 percent share of the franchise.

http://kdka.com/steelers/art.rooney.steelers.2.784101.html

Lovely.

fansince'76
07-31-2008, 12:56 AM
The Rooneys have interest in two racetracks and the NFL has ordered them to get out of the gaming business. To comply, Art says he has resigned from the racetrack boards and Tim and Pat have resigned from the Steeler board. But ownership of the team is another matter.

"So we're cooperating and moving toward resolving the gaming part of it but I don't think that there's any way that we can resolve the ownership deal where one guy has 30 percent of it," Rooney said. "I just don't think that's in cards."

Tell ya what, Rog - why don't you just hit the Rooneys with a pittance of a fine, sweep this ugly little matter under the rug and we'll just call it even, huh? Jackass. :mad:

Preacher
07-31-2008, 01:00 AM
Tell ya what, Rog - why don't you just hit Dan with a pittance of a fine, sweep this ugly little matter under the rug and we'll just call it even, huh? Jackass. :mad:

Well...

I guess that about sums up the thread.

Steel Pit
07-31-2008, 06:05 AM
Does any one person own at least 30% of the Green Bay Packers?

stlrtruck
07-31-2008, 07:53 AM

Unfortunately they are owned by the town and grandfathered in by that status. They are the only team not truly "owned"

missedgehead
07-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Tell ya what, Rog - why don't you just hit the Rooneys with a pittance of a fine, sweep this ugly little matter under the rug and we'll just call it even, huh? Jackass. :mad:

Agreed. I mean, if those are the rules that all teams have to follow, then that is the rules. No?

fansince'76
07-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Agreed. I mean, if those are the rules that all teams have to follow, then that is the rules. No?

Well, couldn't the Rooneys just tell Goodell that one of them has assumed a 30% stake in the team and Goodell just take them at their word? It was good enough for Kraft and Belichick, after all....

tony hipchest
07-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Agreed. I mean, if those are the rules that all teams have to follow, then that is the rules. No?no. case in point- Green Bay Packers.

ive already explained this once. Some Rooneys believe they could take this to court and be grandfathered in. i dont see why you dont understand this. the rules were obviously made after Art Sr. died or im sure he woulda left 30% to Dan to ensure the team stayed in the family.

the NFL cant just go making up rules after the fact to penalize a team. for instance, they can make a rule that all teams have to have a logo on both sides of their helmets and it not apply to steelers, just new teams.

Atlanta Dan
07-31-2008, 12:16 PM
IMO the video slots at the tracks is driving this from the league's perspective and some of the family wanting to cash out is driving it from the Rooneys perspective. The 30% rule is a red herring.

The NFL had no issues with the Rooneys owning Yonkers when it was just a race track and no problem with the 30% rule previously. Non-football Rooneys made the business decision to move ito video gambling and to sell their shares in the Steelers.

AJR, Jr. talking about taking AJR IV to camp for "the last time" was touching - what's Druckenmiller going to do, ban the Rooneys from access to the camp if he buys the team?

I suppose he will bar then from the owners box - wait, Dan and AJR II apparently have already done that.

steelreserve
07-31-2008, 12:32 PM

I said before that if something like this happened, the Steelers should go the same way as the Packers. Pittsburgh is the one other place where that would work. But there's a stupid rule against it, which they really need to make an exception for.

stlrtruck
07-31-2008, 01:11 PM
We should all send letters to the Commish to fix this problem. He's not only destroying the Steelers, he's beginning to destroy the NFL.

Hammer Of The GODS
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
This seems to be a direct retaliation for Arlen Specter pushing Roger on the "cover up" of spygate!

This whole thing with the Rooneys was a NON issue for years!

Roger dug into the Steelers org. looking for a way to stick it to them!

Call me a conspiracy nut if you want, but it all seems to be a steaming pile of shit! Roger takes the whole "we misunderstood the rules on videotaping" statement to heart, slaps them on the wrist and BURNS THE EVIDENCE!

On the other hand he is content on letting one of the most influential families the NFL has to just be pushed out based on a rule that has been in place for a long time but has NEVER even been even close to being a problem.

Goodell is a F@*#!G RAT!

The future of the NFL is in trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

klick81
07-31-2008, 03:17 PM
I was looking for the best person to be commissioner and I had no doubt in my mind that was Roger Goodell.

To think Dan Rooney once said those words.

What an S.O.B. Goodell turned out to be. Jesus, Harry and Joseph.

Preacher
07-31-2008, 03:20 PM
IMO the video slots at the tracks is driving this from the league's perspective and some of the family wanting to cash out is driving it from the Rooneys perspective. The 30% rule is a red herring.

The NFL had no issues with the Rooneys owning Yonkers when it was just a race track and no problem with the 30% rule previously. Non-football Rooneys made the business decision to move ito video gambling and to sell their shares in the Steelers.

AJR, Jr. talking about taking AJR IV to camp for "the last time" was touching - what's Druckenmiller going to do, ban the Rooneys from access to the camp if he buys the team?

I suppose he will bar then from the owners box - wait, Dan and AJR II apparently have already done that.

From what was said in the interview... the gaming issue has ALREADY been put to rest. The ONLY issue left is the 30 percent rule.

rbryan
07-31-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm as big a conspiracy theory guy as anyone but I don't see it here. This story went public recently but it's been an issue for a couple years now. I read somewhere that Drunkenmiller had been talking with the Rooneys as far back as 06 about purchasing the franchise.

I can't even give Spector credit for screwing things up let alone anything constructive....lol

Haiku_Dirtt
08-03-2008, 01:11 PM
the NFL cant just go making up rules after the fact to penalize a team. for instance, they can make a rule that all teams have to have a logo on both sides of their helmets and it not apply to steelers, just new teams.

Congress is doing just that right in front of our faces with alot more money at stake and nobody seems to care. Why won't the NFL?

And might this be the NFL willing to take the 'bad guy' status to help someone save face? Like one of the brothers in a disasterous financial situation. Allow me to climb onto the grassy knoll to point out the absolute carnage that has yet to come off life support.

Let me re-test the theories.

Either the NFL is STICKING IT to one of the most important franchises in the company over a rule change OR...

Someone needs to CAAAASH OOOUUUUTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Call me Oliver Stone but in the face of the worst bear market in American history that began in November 2007 I'd tend to believe the latter even if it is a myth.

Buckle up.