PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Line Set?

Steeldude
07-31-2008, 11:05 AM
it appears that the only spot not set in stone is the center position.

At least that appears to be what offensive line coach Larry Zierlein said when asked about any future shuffling.

“We’ll see what happens with the center position,” he told the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat, “but I’d say we’re pretty well set.”

starks is a $7,000,000 benchwarmer? :doh:

looks likes it's going to be...

LT - smith
LG - kemo
C - hartwig
RG - simmons
RT - colon

i wish i could be happy about that lineup.

we'll have to wait and see what happens :popcorn:

fansince'76
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
To fill it out a bit more:

Colon looking good at right tackle

LATROBE - Last year, the Steelers wouldn't say Willie Colon beat Max Starks for the right tackle job until the first week of September. This year, the Steelers are making that announcement on the third day of training camp.

At least that appears to be what offensive line coach Larry Zierlein said when asked about any future shuffling.

"We'll see what happens with the center position," he told the Johnstown Tribune-Democrat, "but I'd say we're pretty well set."

When the reporter asked Zierlein if that meant Colon, the current first-teamer, had secured his spot, Zierlein said, "Willie's looking pretty good. Willie's pretty good in the run game. He just keeps working on his protections and he'll get better. He's a competitor."

The comment also presumes that Chris Kemoeatu has won the left guard spot while on the PUP list. His replacement the first two days of camp, veteran Trai Essex was moved back to left tackle yesterday because of Marvel Smith's minor groin injury.

O-Line (http://www.heraldstandard.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=19880125&BRD=2280&PAG=461&dept_id=468632&rfi=6)

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Its not even the end of week 1 in camp yet. I think they still may do some shuffling, but that is honestly the O-line I figured that would start week 1, but thought they might go after Mike Flynn for C a few months ago.

A lot of people thought Starks would be the LT and Smith would play his "natural position" of RT and Colon would be moved to LG, but none of those make sense.

If Kemo's tricep is healthy, its a good line.
-Smith is solid, Simmons an experienced and average starter.
-Hartwig I hope is the guy that he was with the Titans,
-Kemo should be powerful and make some mistakes as the new guy and
-Colon hopefully improved, but still constantly outworks Starks.

I wanted to gamble and let Starks walk. That would have left us with Essex and Hills as backups.....not much depth, but $7mil richer to use on maybe Shane Olivea or have been in the running for a free agent DE or CB.

19ward86
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
ugh!

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2008, 11:36 AM
ugh!

19ward86, just an aside....I checked out that video on your sig and honestly couldnt get any farther than the fake David Blaine-cheese its part due to its lack of appeal. Its honestly 2 min of my life I can never get back. :banging:

hope the punch line of it is better.

Dino 6 Rings
07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
And after the first Pre-season game the entire line could be shuffled again. So I won't worry about it until the team on the otherside of the ball is from Houston.

Steely McSmash
07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
...couldnt get any farther than the fake David Blaine-cheese ...

Solid cheese to the finish.

I got a chuckle out of it.

tony hipchest
07-31-2008, 12:08 PM
19ward86, just an aside....I checked out that video on your sig and honestly couldnt get any farther than the fake David Blaine-cheese its part due to its lack of appeal. Its honestly 2 min of my life I can never get back. :banging:

hope the punch line of it is better.im glad you said what i was thinking. i watched that HUGE assed annoying sig and want a refund on my 5 minutes.

im wondering if 19ward86 was one of the characters to make it so "must see". Hopefully it will be removed to spare the rest of the SF members.

*hint hint*

Kvnfaber
07-31-2008, 12:50 PM
im glad you said what i was thinking. i watched that HUGE assed annoying sig and want a refund on my 5 minutes.

im wondering if 19ward86 was one of the characters to make it so "must see". Hopefully it will be removed to spare the rest of the SF members.

*hint hint*

Honeslty, i watched it and loved it, was crackin up here at work :P

revefsreleets
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Hartwig at C, Mahan and Starks for depth (I think 7 million, while not ideal, for depth for one year isn't horrible...at least it's not long-term money) and Essex being able to play multiple positions, and Stapleton for insurance at C, I think even if we get hit with a minor injury bug, it won't be the end of the World.

paw-n-maul-u
07-31-2008, 01:45 PM
well, you kinda gotta know who david blaine is ... I watched it, and it was pretty funny. but definitely stupid as well.

If you haven't seen D. Blaine or watched any of his shit, and all you've heard is "david blaine is really good at magic", then it probably would not be funny to you at all.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Hartwig at C, Mahan and Starks for depth (I think 7 million, while not ideal, for depth for one year isn't horrible...at least it's not long-term money) and Essex being able to play multiple positions, and Stapleton for insurance at C, I think even if we get hit with a minor injury bug, it won't be the end of the World.

Question now is who is our 9 that gets kept?? I cant see going 10 deep on the O line with a KR like Drummond probably being kept.

Smith, Colon, Starks, Hills at OT

Simmons, Kemo, Hartwig, Mahan, Essex....or Stapleton?? on the inside??

I think Essex, Stapleton, Hills, Capizzi are on the bubble and only 2 of those 4 make the team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2008, 05:11 PM
well, you kinda gotta know who david blaine is ... I watched it, and it was pretty funny. but definitely stupid as well.

If you haven't seen D. Blaine or watched any of his shit, and all you've heard is "david blaine is really good at magic", then it probably would not be funny to you at all.

Have seen the D. Blaine street magic stuff and getting buried in a glass box stunt. I like stupid comedy like bad Will Ferrell stunts, Borat, even old school Steve Martin or "Friday's from the 80's". Still didnt find this funny..... I dont want my 2 min back, just wont get fooled again.

Steely McSmash
07-31-2008, 10:08 PM
I think Essex, Stapleton, Hills, Capizzi are on the bubble and only 2 of those 4 make the team.

Apparently Capizzi injured his foot and is no longer in the running. My guess is that Hills may not make the active roster and we'll have to chance losing him on the way to the practice squad. I haven't read anything positive about him yet. Seems that maybe he needs a year in the weight room before he can make the team.

Stapleton and maybe Essex have the "position flexibility" that Tomlin goes for.

El-Gonzo Jackson
07-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Apparently Capizzi injured his foot and is no longer in the running. My guess is that Hills may not make the active roster and we'll have to chance losing him on the way to the practice squad. I haven't read anything positive about him yet. Seems that maybe he needs a year in the weight room before he can make the team.

I know, but that is why I was a fan of letting Starks walk. Then there is room for Hills who would be a 2nd year guy with value next season and I think the coaches think he has upside.

The other doubtful move is that Stapleton outperforms Mahan and then the backups at OG are Stapleton and Essex, with Essex also being able to backup at OT in a pinch.

Mahan being cut after 2 training camps???? Doubtful....but if the team truly doesnt take contract size into evaluations, like having Starks as a $7mil backup, then why not release Mahan if he is your #3 center and #4 OG?

Galax Steeler
08-01-2008, 03:43 AM
Mahan being cut after 2 training camps???? Doubtful....but if the team truly doesnt take contract size into evaluations, like having Starks as a $7mil backup, then why not release Mahan if he is your #3 center and #4 OG?

Good point why have him around if that is the case.

Galax Steeler
08-01-2008, 04:05 AM
Chalk this one up to the land of “WHAT?!?!”

The Pittsburgh Steelers’ offensive line coach, Larry Zierlein seems to think the offensive line is good to go. In a statement yesterday, he has declared that the Pittsburgh Steelers offensive line is pretty much ready to go:

“We’re pretty well set,” Zierlein said. “We’ll see what happens with the center thing once we get into the preseason games. But I’d have to say we’re pretty well set.”

Larry Zierlein has to be charging up his troops. He has to be, because if he isn’t, I’ll be leading the charge to fire him.

Zeirlein alluded to a battle at the center position between Justin Hartwig, and Sean Mahan. I know I’ve said it before here, several times, but I’m going to say it one more time. Sean Mahan is horrible. This isn’t any revelation. Mahan gave up 6 1/2 sacks last season at center, which for those that don’t pay attention to the NFL, is a whole lot. Most centers are well under five sacks for the season, with the good ones not giving up any. Many fault Kendall Simmons for having a bad year. A good case could be made that it was Mahan’s fault.

The center position for the Steelers rarely requires a one-on-one blocking situation. Mahan proved that he couldn’t handle helping out, and got blasted if more than four rushed the quarterback. Teams had field days confusing the over-matched Steelers’ center. Larry Zierlein has decided that this is where the competition is.

Justin Hartwig is either horrid, or Larry Zierlein is living in a fantasy land.

It looks as though Max Starks has become a seven million dollar backup to both guard position. It looks as though Chris Kemoeatu has the job locked up, injury or not. Apparently, Kendall Simmons just had an ‘off year.’ Obviously they don’t think it was Mahan, so it must have been Simmons coming off of some injury issues. Marvel Smith is apparently a guarantee to be healthy again.

Colon has been getting manhandled by LaMarr Woodley during camp. Granted, Woodley may be about to blast into stardom, but that doesn’t bode well for a guy that many are describing as an animal. Woodley’s been spotted not only bulling over Colon, but going right around him. That doesn’t bode well for a right tackle position that appears ’set’ already. Combine that with Max Starks, who apparently has come into camp trim, and ready to reclaim his old job, and you really have a head scratcher. Colon took his frustration out on Keyaron Fox, as reports had the two going toe-to-toe.

Then you have Kemoeatu, who is as unproven as they come. I want him to be an all-pro, just like the rest, but I’m not sure I’m ready to give him the job before he’s even practiced!

Top it all off with rumblings that Alan Faneca didn’t listen to a thing that Zierlein said last year (and had some support from the other linemen) because he believed Russ Grimm’s techniques were much more sound, and you have the potential of a major unhinging of an already questionable offensive line. Of course, they are calling Zierlein the boss, for now.

To seemingly lock this thinking into place, the Steelers released offensive tackle Jason Capizzi, who had a foot injury that might require surgery and was keeping him from practicing. The Steelers reached an injury settlement with Capizzi, and was released to make room on the roster.

It’s distinctly possible that Larry Zierlein is making off-the-cuff statements three days into camp to fire up his offensive line, that has struggled for the past two seasons at keeping arguably their most prized possession, Steelers’ quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, off the turf. Of course, he’s yet to show the type of creativity to do any such thing.

Yes Steel Tradition readers, rest easy.

The Steelers offensive line is “…pretty well set…”

http://mvn.com/nfl-steelers/2008/07/31/zierlein-on-the-steelers-offensive-line-were-pretty-well-set/

Steelman16
08-01-2008, 04:14 AM
:noidea: Ehh, whatever.

:coffee:

SteelMember
08-01-2008, 07:59 AM

Stress fracture in his foot. It will require surgery.
Apparently he had the injury in the spring and it has returned. According to the PG he reached an agreement for his release.

He seems like a good guy that has bounced around practice squads. Just can't seem to get over the hump. Now another set back.

fansince'76
08-01-2008, 08:04 AM
:noidea: Ehh, whatever.

:coffee:

Exactly. Gee, if I start a blog, will that make me an expert too? :coffee:

Havik
08-01-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm worried about the o-line. I think Kemo will do well and Marvel Smith is healthy, but thats about it. Mahan needs to be removed from the lineup entirely. Hartwig is mediocre but is an upgrade over Mahan. Simmons is average at best, but it doesn't help that he plays between possibly the worst starting center in the NFL and a RT playing out of position. If the o-line fails in 2008, which I think it will, then it's time to show Coach Z the door.

Preacher
08-01-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm worried about the o-line. I think Kemo will do well and Marvel Smith is healthy, but thats about it. Mahan needs to be removed from the lineup entirely. Hartwig is mediocre but is an upgrade over Mahan. Simmons is average at best, but it doesn't help that he plays between possibly the worst starting center in the NFL and a RT playing out of position. If the o-line fails in 2008, which I think it will, then it's time to show Coach Z the door.

Congratulations...

this thread just won my coveted award....

http://www.intarnet.us/graphics/cats/sky-is-falling.jpg

Havik
08-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm not saying the sky is falling, I'm just trying to be realistic. The right side of the line is extremely poor. At center we have Hartwig and Mahan, and neither are more than second or third string players. Willie Colon has to be one of the worst RT's I have ever seen. That doesn't surprise me because he is playing out of position. Why not try Tony Hills or Trai Essex at RT?

revefsreleets
08-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Hey everybody......I think we should..............

PANIC!!!