PDA

View Full Version : Team USA Basketball

redst3
07-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Team USA looks pretty good running the floor tonight in beating Turkey. The players seem to be pretty intense for a change and taking things seriously. Looking good! :applaudit:

xfl2001fan
08-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I wasn't sold. I saw a lot of stuff that better teams like Spain, Greece and Argentina would exploit.

I'm looking forward to watching the Lithuania game to see what they worked on. Unfortunately, I accidentally saw the end result of the game on ESPN (tried to avoid it til after I watched it.)

revefsreleets
08-02-2008, 01:44 PM
If you have Kobe and LeBron, you should and would and can and will just outscore all your opponents.

xfl2001fan
08-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Kobe's defensive focus is going to help, but the American's haven't (in the past) adjusted to FIBA rules and play stye very well. When's the last time they won a Gold medal? Think about how many NBA players have played for us. Yes, there are a few players on the various European team, but the rest of those guys are people who know which role to play.

That's what the American team needs. A couple of Superstars alone won't win you the game. We have struggled to beat the zone and struggled with defending the Pick and Roll.

Right now, I've seen some weak teams that could hang with us for a quarter or so...and make an occasional push to play, but haven't been deep enough to keep up. Spain, Greece and a few other teams are much deeper and will give us much bigger fits than some of these JV teams have been.

revefsreleets
08-02-2008, 02:31 PM
I doubt it...not this time. Lithuania was ranked, what? 5th in the World? The US destroyed them. Krzuzewski has these cats respecting their opponents, and it'll show. They'll be challenged, but they won't lose a game.

xfl2001fan
08-02-2008, 03:28 PM
I hope you're right. But we do have more challenging opponents ahead of us that are more than capable of beating us than Lithuania.

With that being said, I am going to watch the game against Lithuania to see how we actually play. I want to see how they react to zone defenses and pressure defenses and such.

There were some pretty sloppy stretches against Turkey that didn't give me a warm fuzzy. I'm hoping that the sloppiness will be rectified by the time we actually get to Beijing.

revefsreleets
08-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I'll grant you this: Teamwork will always trump raw talent. LJ's junior year at StV/StM, the team they played in the state finals had nothing to stop him, but they played solid team ball, good defense, and the undisciplined Irish lost the game. They were outcoached as well.

But that was 1 versus 5. The NBA is becoming a more disciplined league because of the infusion of European players and their value of teamwork (assists, playing D, hustle)...and it will pay dividends this year.

xfl2001fan
08-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Yeah, they certainly have a better set of team values this year than in years past.

I like that Kobe has asked to be a defensive stopper and that Kidd has no problem taking 0 shots in a game. That's the kind of stuff we need.

This isn't even close to being the same competition that "The Dream Team" faced in the early 90's. I think they would have been in for a rude awakening if they came into the games thinking they'd skate through each team. The rest of the World is beginning to catch up to the US in terms of talent and (it seems like) they have a much better grasp of team/individual fundamentals.

xfl2001fan
08-02-2008, 08:07 PM
This just bites, my cable provider is not showing the game today. I've got to work tomorrow, so I won't be able to watch the game when it's being shown in the A.M.

fansince'76
08-03-2008, 12:10 PM
This isn't even close to being the same competition that "The Dream Team" faced in the early 90's. I think they would have been in for a rude awakening if they came into the games thinking they'd skate through each team. The rest of the World is beginning to catch up to the US in terms of talent and (it seems like) they have a much better grasp of team/individual fundamentals.

Agreed, but by the same token, the Dream Team had Jordan, Magic and Bird, and those three alone made the Dream Team light years better than what we have now. The rest of the world has gotten better at the game by leaps and bounds, and at the same time, our national team has regressed since then. I for one don't think Olympic gold is a lock this year either, even with Kobe and LeBron - if they go out and play fundamentally unsound (i.e. miss about 1,000 free throws and not bother playing D) again, they'll wind up getting beat by someone like Argentina.

revefsreleets
08-03-2008, 01:57 PM
That's exactly why coach K added some defensive players. James can play D, and we all know Kobe can D up as well, so it's not like we have an "All-Iverson" team this year...

xfl2001fan
08-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Yeah, I had to work late (and because I'm a reservist) had to do a lot of PT as well. So I got home to see the "tough stretch" when Russia started to make a comeback. Didn't make me feel much better. Once Redd hit those back to back threes (to effectively end the stretch) I turned it off, played with the kids some and decided to just call it an early night.

From what I've read on ESPN, it seems like the Americans are making a good name for themselves. Maybe I'm just too much of a pessimist when it comes to USA Basketball. Then again, I've seen us get outhustled and out played for the last 3 or 4 years. (Didn't pay much attention to it before then.)

revefsreleets
08-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Michael Redd + Cleveland Cavaliers = NBA Championship

Wondering if Gilbert could ever pull that rabbit out of the hat...

xfl2001fan
08-04-2008, 01:01 PM
That would be sweet, but I don't see how that would be possible at this time. I was really hoping he would sign when he was a FA a few years ago. Thought we had him too.

revefsreleets
08-05-2008, 08:44 AM
It would have to be a blockbuster trade, including future draft picks.

xfl2001fan
08-05-2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah. I don't fear the future draft picks much. It's what else we would have to give up to bring in a player of his caliber.

fansince'76
08-05-2008, 11:01 AM
This team is far from unbeatable. At least they're actually playing D this time around, though. Don't have a problem with the 3-point shooting, but the lousy free throw shooting (again) pisses me off. There's no excuse for professional players to shoot under 70% from the charity stripe.

The U.S. Olympic basketball team wrapped up its exhibition schedule with its toughest test, pulling away to beat Australia 87-76 Tuesday night in its final game before heading to Beijing.

The United States led by only four points nearly halfway through the third quarter and was up by seven midway through the fourth against an Australian team that was resting its best player, Milwaukee Bucks center Andrew Bogut.

The Americans relied on an aggressive defensive effort to overcome a horrendous night from 3-point range and the free throw line, the same areas that proved costly in their semifinal loss to Greece in the world championships two years ago.

Team USA Gets a Scare (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news?slug=ap-bko-usa-australia&prov=ap&type=lgns)

revefsreleets
08-05-2008, 12:22 PM
They phoned this game in...pull that shit again and they WILL get beat. Australia is in the games ( I believe), but they aren't going to medal.

xfl2001fan
08-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Damn, was hopingto acualy watch one of these games without knowing the outcome first. I've managed to avoid ESPN and everything! lol

steelwall
08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Well they pulled it out against the Aussies but it was rather close. Came out in the 2nd half allmost dead, but sparked back to life late.

Aussie_steeler
08-06-2008, 06:06 AM
They phoned this game in...pull that shit again and they WILL get beat. Australia is in the games ( I believe), but they aren't going to medal.

The aussies are in the games. We call our team the BOOMERS. ( not in honour of Chris Berman fortunately but the aussie name for a male kangaroo) Our team are perennial 4th to 8th place candidates.

This game highlighted that the USA basketball team lacks cohesion at this stage. From an outsiders perspective this squad is playing as a group of superstars and not as a team.

If they dont find some cohesion they will be seriously pushed by strong national squads like Italy, Spain, Greece and Argentina that are highly polished in playing a team game.

The 19yr point guard Patrick mills (st marys college California) found some very easy lanes in this game. He is a very raw kid who looked pretty good. This is the area where team USA will need to tighten up IMO.

redst3
08-10-2008, 05:09 AM
Here's the schedule for Team USA

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.php?news_page=2008molyschd

They are playing China tonight.

xfl2001fan
08-10-2008, 07:07 AM
I think that game is showing at 1015 AM EST (just over 2 hours) here today.

xfl2001fan
08-10-2008, 07:09 AM
The aussies are in the games. We call our team the BOOMERS. ( not in honour of Chris Berman fortunately but the aussie name for a male kangaroo) Our team are perennial 4th to 8th place candidates.

This game highlighted that the USA basketball team lacks cohesion at this stage. From an outsiders perspective this squad is playing as a group of superstars and not as a team.

If they dont find some cohesion they will be seriously pushed by strong national squads like Italy, Spain, Greece and Argentina that are highly polished in playing a team game.

The 19yr point guard Patrick mills (st marys college California) found some very easy lanes in this game. He is a very raw kid who looked pretty good. This is the area where team USA will need to tighten up IMO.

Thank you for an outsiders perspective. :thumbsup: It's actually good to know how the international teams feel about us. Unfortunately, our media tends to hype them up, even when they play...questionably.

redst3
08-10-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm not going to rag on our guys until they lose, IF they lose. A win is a win.

Let's just see what happens. The game is on right now!

revefsreleets
08-10-2008, 09:30 AM
There's no doubt that the US team is the most talented in the World. But I remember LeBron's Jr year when his team was beaten by a bunch of skinny white dudes who were better coached and played as team.

Remember what Herb Brooks said about his '80 hockey team? "I don't want the BEST players, I want the RIGHT players".

redst3
08-10-2008, 09:37 AM
The 1st Quarter has ended and the score is 20-16. Early on it looked like Team USA was confused by the Chinese zone but it was short lived. They look OK, I think they will put it away here in the 2nd.

redst3
08-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Half time USA up +12. Haven't shot well from line or outside, otherwise OK. I like the little Chinese shooters. They are using Y Ming to set up their outside guys.

xfl2001fan
08-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Yeah, against teams with better guards, the game will be much closer.

redst3
08-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Start of the 4th Quarter- game is a total beat down. Team USA 1-0. Next game I have is Tuesday. X or someone can you get the time?

OneForTheToe
08-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Good game for team USA. Almost as important, is that they seem much more focused at the task than they have been in the past. You can see that focus on the defensive side of the game.

xfl2001fan
08-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Time on Tuesday, If they're showing it live, will be 8 AM EST.

I checked the TV Guide on Tuesday (for afternoon/evening times). It doesn't look like we'll get a rerun.

They had some pretty good stretches of good defense, but really lapsed off at the end. Granted, they were up by 30, but they're going to need to keep the intensity up against some of the better teams.

Lithuania beat Argentina earlier today/yesterday (depending on TimeZone.)

lilyoder6
08-10-2008, 12:29 PM
redd was dropping some 3's in the later stage of the game. it was a good game and i would like 2 see jason kidd take a shot..

redst3
08-10-2008, 02:36 PM
I thought it was a sweet win. USA USA USA WOO-HOO

Atlanta Dan
08-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Entertaining game but the three point shooting was abysmal; need to fix that by next week.

Looking for more Bosh (K is saying nice things about him) and I would like to see even more of a Paul/Williams back court with less Jason Kidd (who only played 13 minutes today).

redst3
08-10-2008, 08:20 PM
China used Ming well to set up their outside shooting. ATL Dan no doubt the shooting will have to improve.

LEBRON IS AWESOME! Yet another cool sports thing to come out of Cleveland besides Chuck Noll, Bill Cowher and XFL2001Fan.

lilyoder6
08-10-2008, 10:18 PM
lebron and kobe were amazing.. those 2 together w/ d wade is amazing

redst3
08-11-2008, 03:34 AM
Next Up-

August 12 (Tuesday)
Iran - Lithuania
. Croatia - Russia
Greece - Germany
China - Spain
Angola - USA
Argentina - Australia

Not sure about boradcast times yet

revefsreleets
08-11-2008, 08:44 AM
LeBron is probably on the phone with Dan Gilbert daily trying to get a deal worked for Redd.

Those two together would be unstoppable.

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 11:08 AM
the european league is trying to go after kobe lebron and d wade when they are free-agents.... hopefully they stay in the nba

steelreserve
08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
All I've seen so far of the U.S. team just confirms that ...

1) The USA is still light-years ahead of any other team out there, and
2) The amount that we half-assed it in the last couple of Olympics is absolutely shameful.

I have no doubt that this Olympics will be a romp from start to finish. I guess last time served as a wake-up call that if you don't take things seriously, you deserve to get your ass kicked by the national team of a country that does.

Really, if most of your star players can't even be bothered to compete -- and the ones who do show up only practice together like 6 times and basically end up playing street ball -- what do you expect? This year's team shows more of how last time was a letdown than anything else.

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
the women's basketball team is doing well also.. hopefully we can get both gold medals

xfl2001fan
08-11-2008, 02:48 PM
All I've seen so far of the U.S. team just confirms that ...

1) The USA is still light-years ahead of any other team out there, and
2) The amount that we half-assed it in the last couple of Olympics is absolutely shameful.

I have no doubt that this Olympics will be a romp from start to finish. I guess last time served as a wake-up call that if you don't take things seriously, you deserve to get your ass kicked by the national team of a country that does.

Really, if most of your star players can't even be bothered to compete -- and the ones who do show up only practice together like 6 times and basically end up playing street ball -- what do you expect? This year's team shows more of how last time was a letdown than anything else.

1) We have a far more athletic group of players than our competition...but the FIBA game is absolutely geared towards team play and great shooting. That's something the NBA (as a whole) has gotten away from.
2) We were beat by better teams, not better athletes these last few Olympics. We were outcoached and outclassed by teams with less talent.

If we're not careful, it can (and will) happen again. Hard nosed (mostly) disciplined defense is what is giving us the edge to this point. Teams with better guards are going to give us more fits than the teams we've played against.

xfl2001fan
08-11-2008, 02:50 PM
LeBron is probably on the phone with Dan Gilbert daily trying to get a deal worked for Redd.

Those two together would be unstoppable.

That would be absolutely phenomenal. This die-hard Cavs fan would be in basketball heaven if that were to happen!!!!

redst3
08-11-2008, 03:07 PM
No way, I want Lebron to come to the Dirty South and play for my long suffering Hawks!

The 2004 team played some of the worst fundamentals i have ever seen.

rbryan
08-11-2008, 03:15 PM
If you want to win the Gold its real simple. Send a real team. Not an all star team thats only played together a few months. Send last years NBA final runner up, hell send any of last years NCAA final four teams.

That won't sell as many T shirts, but do you want to win or do you want to make $.

I realize its a moot point, the people selling the t-shirts already made the decision for you.

xfl2001fan
08-11-2008, 03:33 PM
No way, I want Lebron to come to the Dirty South and play for my long suffering Hawks!

The 2004 team played some of the worst fundamentals i have ever seen.

The only time Lebron will be playing in Atlanta is when he's there as a visiting team...or if an All-Star game is played there.

revefsreleets
08-11-2008, 09:30 PM
The NBA game has improved recently. You see MVP's who have numbers of assists and can actually play D. It's still not what it could/should be, but it is getting better.

redst3
08-12-2008, 03:01 AM
I have the Team USA- Angola game coming on at 8 this morning. Hopefully iam giving you the correct time this morning.

http://www.nba.com/usabasketball/

xfl2001fan
08-12-2008, 05:28 AM
I have the Team USA- Angola game coming on at 8 this morning. Hopefully iam giving you the correct time this morning.

http://www.nba.com/usabasketball/

You are correct sir!

redst3
08-12-2008, 05:46 AM
Just saw the end of the Chinese-Spanish game. China really came unglued there at the end. I was actually rooting for the commies because of Yao Ming. That long haired guy from Spain was playing some serious D.

redst3
08-12-2008, 07:21 AM
End of 1st Quarter- Team USA looking good on boards up by 9.

xfl2001fan
08-12-2008, 07:36 AM
I wish I could watch this game. I hate missing out on the Olympics...

redst3
08-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Its one of the advantages of being a teacher/coach- I am out for the Summer- at least a few more weeks-

At half time Team USA is up by 21 and it is a complete rout. Angola had pulled to within 7 but the front court steals are killing them.

Lebron, in limited action, is all over the place right now.

xfl2001fan
08-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Nice!!! I'd have been surprised if they didn't blow out Angola. Now the other teams in our group are a bit tougher. I expect those games to be much closer.

redst3
08-12-2008, 08:23 AM
its a huge blowout win- still not hitting all of our outside shots, but there hasn't been any lackluster play in this one.

Next up Greece

vs. Greece: Aug. 14, 8 a.m. ET on Thursday, same days Steelers play Bills and we get to see Byron in action.

redst3
08-14-2008, 04:39 AM
Team USA Vs. Greece this morning. Game should be on somewhere on TV. I hope our guys can get their shots to fall today.

xfl2001fan
08-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Team USA Vs. Greece this morning. Game should be on somewhere on TV. I hope our guys can get their shots to fall today.
For me, it's showing on USA.

redst3
08-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Yep, watching right now and we are up 20-16 at the end of the 1st. It looks like the usual start for our guys. This is the best team we have seen yet.

Note as you are watching Greece's big man keeps setting moving screens but the refs are not calling it.:mad:

redst3
08-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Half Time: We are up 51-32. Team USA looks fantastic. This is a pretty good team we are playing and we are dismantling them. Good defense is creating all kinds of breaks.

revefsreleets
08-14-2008, 08:05 AM
Cavs just traded for Mo Williams from the Milwaukee Bucks...I expect LeBron is pretty stoked about that...he may even hit a few free throws today in honor of that.

redst3
08-14-2008, 08:24 AM
He's looking good today. About the only player who struggled was Jason Kidd. Its 80-57 with about 7 to go.

Next game:

vs. Spain: Aug. 16, 10:15 a.m. ET, That's Saturday.

lilyoder6
08-14-2008, 01:01 PM
i want to see how the gasol brothers do in the game.. the game against greece was sick..

xfl2001fan
08-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Cavs just traded for Mo Williams from the Milwaukee Bucks...I expect LeBron is pretty stoked about that...he may even hit a few free throws today in honor of that.

Nice! I missed the entire second half of the game because I had to drive to WV to pick up my oldest son for a nice lil vacation. When I stopped at a Speedway on our way out of town, the clerk at the counter says to me (WV accent, chew in his lower lip, missing one tooth and pieces of tobacco stuck in his gums)

Hey ya'll, didjya know dem Baynguls suck?

How odd...

xfl2001fan
08-16-2008, 10:53 AM
This game against Spain got out of hand early and pretty much stayed there. Is it possible that this is the year we bring back the gold?

OneForTheToe
08-16-2008, 01:48 PM
This game against Spain got out of hand early and pretty much stayed there. Is it possible that this is the year we bring back the gold?

If they don't there will be an uproar - particularly since they have started off so well.

redst3
08-18-2008, 04:12 AM
Germany this morning at 8 AM. This is the last of the prelims before we move into the medal round. Germany is 1-3....and yes we are going to win the Gold and with the way the guys have conducted themselves, I think they are going to win it in a good way for the game and represent the country well also.

revefsreleets
08-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Coach K put together the right team. The only thing they might have been lacking was a true dominant big man, but they ran well playing "small" (such a relative term). There was no chance that anybody was gonna beat these guys, and it is as it should be...

redst3
08-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Coach K put together the right team. The only thing they might have been lacking was a true dominant big man, but they ran well playing "small" (such a relative term). ...
They don't have the big guy for sure but the depth and speed has been a mitigating factor. The way we fill up the lanes it doesn't matter.

I turned off the TV just now, they are completely killing Germany.

lilyoder6
08-18-2008, 08:48 AM
this team is amazing and i don't think that they will allow thm not to get gold

The Duke
08-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Can't believe I missed this game. sounds like it was quite a beating, 107-56

no one can even challenge this team!!

lilyoder6
08-18-2008, 03:19 PM
yeah it wasn't a pretty game.. usa destroyed this team.. quarterfinals is against aust..

revefsreleets
08-18-2008, 04:24 PM
I doubt it...not this time. Lithuania was ranked, what? 5th in the World? The US destroyed them. Krzuzewski has these cats respecting their opponents, and it'll show. They'll be challenged, but they won't lose a game.

w00t w00t!

Hope this early prediction holds true!

xfl2001fan
08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah, these olympics are making me really wish I had DVR or something along that lines. LOL

redst3
08-19-2008, 03:36 AM
Can't believe I missed this game. sounds like it was quite a beating, 107-56

no one can even challenge this team!!

I have watched all but the Spain game and I turned it off at the end of the 1st. The guys absolutely looked great. I really love this team's demeanor and conduct. To paraphrase Lambardi, they are doing a great deal for the game and for the USA, two things I love very much.

I have us playing the Aussies in the QuarterFinals tomorrow. Is this correct and could someone give us the time of the game?

xfl2001fan
08-19-2008, 07:00 AM
I have watched all but the Spain game and I turned it off at the end of the 1st. The guys absolutely looked great. I really love this team's demeanor and conduct. To paraphrase Lambardi, they are doing a great deal for the game and for the USA, two things I love very much.

I have us playing the Aussies in the QuarterFinals tomorrow. Is this correct and could someone give us the time of the game?

Men's basketball resumes at 230 AM EST on Wednesday on USA. However, it doesn't mention which matchup it is. I believe all Basketball games will be played on that channel.

lilyoder6
08-19-2008, 10:33 AM
prob all of them.. it's the quarter-finals...

redst3
08-20-2008, 03:53 AM
I wont get to see it as i will be at work. I'll likely track it on the web though.

xfl2001fan
08-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Apparently we destroyed Australia...I am really getting sick of not seeing our guys play.

stlrtruck
08-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Apparently we destroyed Australia...I am really getting sick of not seeing our guys play.

I guess it's the opposite of being able to watch the browns play!!! :flap: :sofunny: :toofunny: :rofl:

redst3
08-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Looks like Gold is on the horizon. I sure hope I get to see it.

The Duke
08-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Argentina was the biggest challenge imo

up next, spain

stlrtruck
08-22-2008, 01:02 PM
That second quarter was pathetic. They can't continue to expect that they'll hold a team off if they play like they did today.

If they take Spain lightly, they'll be taking home the silver.

STEELtownHAVOX
08-22-2008, 01:15 PM
The Gold Medal game is on Sunday, anyone have a time yet?

xfl2001fan
08-22-2008, 01:25 PM
If it's maintaining it's consistency, it'll likely be 1015 AM EST.

STEELtownHAVOX
08-22-2008, 02:08 PM
If it's maintaining it's consistency, it'll likely be 1015 AM EST.

they also played at 8 am, hopefully its what you say.

xfl2001fan
08-22-2008, 02:12 PM
True, but I thought the weekend games were a little later. Hard to tell with it being the final game...if it was run by Americans, it'd be in a time frame that would get the most coverage world-wide (but we're good entertainers that way.)

STEELtownHAVOX
08-22-2008, 02:18 PM
True, but I thought the weekend games were a little later. Hard to tell with it being the final game...if it was run by Americans, it'd be in a time frame that would get the most coverage world-wide (but we're good entertainers that way.)

Lol, yeah right. NBA was broadcasting the west coast playoff games at 9:30pm. That's terrible for the east coast. I could watch maybe a quarter before I would pass out.

But I think you're right, it should be around 10 am

lilyoder6
08-22-2008, 02:24 PM
the us destroyed spain in the last game and i think that this semi game just made them sure not to take it easy against spain.. i see the gold coming as still we are the best team

ShutDown24
08-22-2008, 04:40 PM
the us destroyed spain in the last game and i think that this semi game just made them sure not to take it easy against spain.. i see the gold coming as still we are the best team

I agree

xfl2001fan
08-23-2008, 02:09 PM
The Gold Medal game is on Sunday, anyone have a time yet?

Tipoff for Sunday's gold medal game is 2:30 p.m. local time (2:30 a.m. EDT)

Per the report here: (Last line of this particular post, for those who don't care to read about the Spanish Player's injury)

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/news/story?id=3550090

STEELtownHAVOX
08-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Tipoff for Sunday's gold medal game is 2:30 p.m. local time (2:30 a.m. EDT)

Per the report here: (Last line of this particular post, for those who don't care to read about the Spanish Player's injury)

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/news/story?id=3550090

so that mean's I'm going to be up at 2:30 a.m. (eastern time) watching this game?:tt:

xfl2001fan
08-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Ooooh...I guess I had better set my alarm. Cuz I too want to see this game...and with no work tomorrow, I can afford to do this.

xfl2001fan
08-24-2008, 07:03 AM
I was actually awake to watch the last half of this game...and it was a thriller. Glad to see our guys were composed enough to pull it out! Bringing home the gold to our great country!

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Congrats to the team and coaching staff for bringing home the gold when anything else would have been regarded as an unmitigated disaster

Shame on Coach K haters such as Jim Caple from ESPN.com for comments like this

It is tough to decide who to root for in this one. On the one hand, you want to see the U.S. win gold, don't you? On the other hand, how can you possibly bring yourself to root for a team coached by Mike Krzyzewski?

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/columns/story?columnist=caple_jim&id=3549335

xfl2001fan
08-24-2008, 08:22 AM
I have never been a fan of Duke, but I've never really hated Duke either. Coach K was the right man for the job and the plan that was put together back in 2006 was the only way this was going to work.

Kudos to the entire staff put together.

Atlanta Dan
08-24-2008, 08:26 AM
I have never been a fan of Duke, but I've never really hated Duke either. Coach K was the right man for the job and the plan that was put together back in 2006 was the only way this was going to work.

Kudos to the entire staff put together.

I am confident there are folks in Chapel Hell who are depressed the United States won

xfl2001fan
08-24-2008, 08:30 AM
LOL It's all good. Let the Trolls have their asinine opinions, it wont' change the fact that our guys brought us the goal under his direction.

STEELtownHAVOX
08-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I hate Duke, but Coach K was on America's side this time so I was thrilled to see us walk away with the gold. Wade had a hell of a game along with Kobe.

lilyoder6
08-24-2008, 08:12 PM
kobe was CLUTCH in the 4th scoring 13 points... the game was rly good.. wade, james and melo and evryone else are amazing when they play together.. now they get to go back to there shitty teams of the nba and get rdy 4 the season.. they will miss each other during the nba season

xfl2001fan
08-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Kobe has Paul Gasol (pretty good player);

Melo has Iverson;

James has Mo Williams (what a great trade by Cleveland) and Z;

Wade has Shawn Marion;

Being a Cleveland fan, I don't know as much about the supporting cast for Melo/Wade/Kobe...but those are some pretty talented players with some pretty talented players surrounding them. I don't know that the Lakers (Lost in the NBA Finals) the Cavaliers (Took the NBA Champs to 7 games in the EC Finals), the Nuggets (playing in a very talented West) are crappy teams. Miami is hard to read because Wade has been hurt, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a playoff push this season with a healthy "Flash" back.

revefsreleets
08-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Coach K gets credit for getting a team full of prima donna's to actually play team ball...it certainly didn't hurt that they all made a 3 year commit and played some international style b-ball together during that time.

xfl2001fan
08-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Amongst the biggest names (Kobe, Wade, Melo and LBJ), I would probably call Kobe the only real Prima Donna.

James, in particular, has been known for trying to bring his teammates into the fold in NBA games. He is a superstar, but he seems like a genuine team guy. I haven't seen much of Wade lately (mostly due to his injury) but I had the same impression of him. Melo has always been a bit of an enigma, but I've always had the impression that he's a super-roleplayer as opposed to a super star.

Still, this team doesn't do nearly as well (and doesn't likely win the Gold) with most other coaches.

lilyoder6
08-26-2008, 03:41 PM
marion only had a 1 yr deal i think when he joined the heat.. and when he did join the heat he didn't play very well... lebron has no one to play w/ but a bunch of avg players.. maybe maybe mo can change that but will have to wait and see... the only reason the nuggets are good and win is b/c melo and A.I score like 35 points a peice..

revefsreleets
08-26-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm not knocking these guys...they play their game in the NBA the way the NBA is played. But the NBA game is about big names taking over, but how do you do that when the whole team is filled with big names? Allen Iverson tossing up his obligatory 50 shots a game so he scores 32 comes to mind. He was a bad fit...

But that's why we lost in '04.

lilyoder6
08-26-2008, 07:59 PM
this 08 team was phenomanal in play... and i can see the same team in 4 yrs w/ the minus off prince and kidd.. but u can add amare and durant.. :O