PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward Dig At Ben?

Atlanta Dan
08-01-2008, 08:47 AM
The P-G had a story today about Santonio Holmes growing into a leader, but quote meister Hines Ward managed to get in the last word:

The Steelers have done a good job of surrounding their franchise quarterback with the kind of skilled talent he needs. Roethlisberger can call on those two, plus a maturing Nate Washington and 6-foot-4 second-round pick Limas Sweed, the tall receiver the quarterback requested before the draft. There's also 6-5 tight end Heath Miller and 6-7 Matt Spaeth, a second-year man. At running back, there's a healthy two-time Pro Bowler Willie Parker, who led the NFL in rushing right up until the next-to-last game of the season when his fibula was broken -- plus first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall and new third-down back Mewelde Moore.

What more can a quarterback ask for (a competent offensive line, but that's another matter)?

"We're just as talented as anyone in the league," Ward said of the offense. "We have Heath at tight end, Santonio, myself, Nate, Sweed. We have a one-two running back punch.

"Ben has weapons around him, so the excuses shouldn't be made."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08214/901123-13.stm

Sounds like Hines is still steamed about Ben's off season request for a tall receiver :chuckle:

kochmanski
08-01-2008, 08:57 AM
I really need to post more often this season. I've been reading these boards forever. Don't know why I never speak up.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and take Hines' comments to mean that the offense as a whole should have no excuse not to produce some serious points this year. I'd like to think he's not singling Ben out or taking a shot at him; he's posing a challenge to the whole unit. Saying, "Look at us on paper. Now, let's make it happen on the field!"

Saw them up close and personal in camp on Wednesday (I work for an ad agency; got to love those field-level V.I.P. media day passes!) and the offense looks like a tight-knit bunch.

fansince'76
08-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Wonder if this will turn into another 30-page marathon "he said/he said" thread. :coffee:

k7brown
08-01-2008, 09:39 AM
I agree with kochmanski... I dont think it was a dig at all. Just stating that the offense should have any reason not to do well.

:tt: :popcorn:

Edman
08-01-2008, 09:52 AM
Uh oh, Hines took a dig at Ben. Steeler Chemistry is ruined. Here comes the media with their sensational articles.

Atlanta Dan
08-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Just noting that Hines Ward always manages to get quoted in a manner that often takes a shot - it certainly is no big deal but it seemed like a zing to me - I could care less if anyone on the team gets along and IMO team "chemistry" is overrated - teams are happy when they win and pi**ed off when they lose

19ward86
08-01-2008, 10:46 AM
I dont think he is criticizing ben at all.

The Duke
08-01-2008, 10:59 AM
I'd like to think he's not singling Ben out or taking a shot at him; he's posing a challenge to the whole unit. Saying, "Look at us on paper. Now, let's make it happen on the field!"

sounds great. don't underestimate any team, play you're hearts out, beat the crap outta you opponent. why? because you can :helmet:

I could care less if anyone on the team gets along and IMO team "chemistry" is overrated - teams are happy when they win and pi**ed off when they lose

exhibit A....

http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/images/troy/ChadJohnsonMohawk.jpg

OneForTheToe
08-01-2008, 11:49 AM
I think Hines was probably talking to Alan Faneca on his cell at the time comment. So, I say we blame it on Faneca, since he is no longer here.:wink02:

And I agree .... "team chemistry" is way overated. Although I think "team astro-physics" and "team oceanography" are essential.

Steely McSmash
08-01-2008, 01:23 PM
And I agree .... "team chemistry" is way overated. Although I think "team astro-physics" and "team oceanography" are essential.

That's my favorite event in the geek olympics after the math Decathalon.:doh:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-01-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't think it's a shot at Big Ben but a challenge to the entire offense (and team).

SteelMember
08-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Just noting that Hines Ward always manages to get quoted in a manner that often takes a shot - it certainly is no big deal but it seemed like a zing to me - I could care less if anyone on the team gets along and IMO team "chemistry" is overrated - teams are happy when they win and pi**ed off when they lose

I don't know if I can agree with that. You can build a team with pro-bowlers and high priced FA's (look at the Skins in the Snider era, or the reports about our O-line), but the team as a unit must perform together.

The final score, win or lose, just affects the emotional result. imo.:noidea:

I do believe, however, Hines has a dry sense of humor about things sometimes. Not many people seem to get it. Especially reporters!

Mill Write
08-01-2008, 10:46 PM
And I agree .... "team chemistry" is way overated. Although I think "team astro-physics" and "team oceanography" are essential.[/QUOTE]

I'll stick with "team chemistry", especially "team organic chemistry". Most especially mixing nucleic acids.

tony hipchest
08-01-2008, 11:55 PM
"team oceanography.
:sofunny: thats pretty funny.

Galax Steeler
08-02-2008, 03:40 AM
I don't think hines ward will be disspointed in the way the offense performes this year he should like the addition of Sweed,Mendenhall, Moore this could be the best team we have had in years.

stlrtruck
08-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Hopefully this will motivate Ward to bring up his game. After being "THE GUY" for so long in Pittsburgh, there's finally some more stable competition in the WR Corp.

I'm not so sure I agree with the "team chemistry" being overrated. Look at our OL in 2004. They were so pitiful, because they didn't have that chemistry. A year later, they were tops in the AFC and two years later they were winning the Super Bowl. It makes a big difference when you have that chemistry and you know what the guy next to you can do and is going to do.

It's the same when Chris hope was with us. He and Troy had such a great chemistry that it gave them both a different mentality on the field.

missedgehead
08-02-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't think it was a shot at Ben at all, IMO

Elvis
08-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I think that Hines just sees the writting on the wall in my opinion, his days are numbered especially if Sweed is as special as I think he will be
:tt02:

Elvis
08-03-2008, 12:21 AM
I don't think hines ward will be disspointed in the way the offense performes this year he should like the addition of Sweed,Mendenhall, Moore this could be the best team we have had in years.
:hatsoff: Now all we need is some pass protection for our $102 Million QB to get them the ball

Stlrs4Life
08-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Just more people making a mountain out of a mole hill.

SteelerTim
08-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Hopefully this will motivate Ward to bring up his game. After being "THE GUY" for so long in Pittsburgh, there's finally some more stable competition in the WR Corp.

I'm not so sure I agree with the "team chemistry" being overrated. Look at our OL in 2004. They were so pitiful, because they didn't have that chemistry. A year later, they were tops in the AFC and two years later they were winning the Super Bowl. It makes a big difference when you have that chemistry and you know what the guy next to you can do and is going to do.

It's the same when Chris hope was with us. He and Troy had such a great chemistry that it gave them both a different mentality on the field.

Huh? Our O-line was a beast in 2004. We had a running game that couldn't be stopped and went 15-1.

Lord Stiller
08-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Huh? Our O-line was a beast in 2004. We had a running game that couldn't be stopped and went 15-1.

Exactly. That's the year we did have great chemistry becasue we returned all 5 starters

The downfall started in 2005 (not as dominant but still good enough to win) and went to crap in 2006 and 2007

stlrtruck
08-05-2008, 10:17 AM

Sorry, meant the 2003 season that was 6-10 and led us to the 11th position in the draft.

My bad. :drink:

steelreserve
08-05-2008, 11:41 AM
"Ben has weapons around him, so the excuses shouldn't be made." [/I]

Sounds like Hines is still steamed about Ben's off season request for a tall receiver :chuckle:

Who cares? Just win the f***ing Super Bowl and everyone can shut up. That's the goal anyway, right?

rdsovchen
08-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Who cares? Just win the f***ing Super Bowl and everyone can shut up. That's the goal anyway, right?

AMEN!:tt03: