PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Smith maturing?

Steeldude
08-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Anthony Smith, who blew up Willie Reid during a non-contact drill in morning drills. I didnít get a good view, but another reporter told me that after the play Smith waved off defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau

:thmbdown: if this is true then this guy needs to be shipped to oakland or dallas. other than an occasional good hit he has done nothing.

on a brighter note, sweed looks to be ok after a slight hamstring incident :thumbsup:

OneForTheToe
08-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Smith has shown over and over again with his actions and comments that he has little respect for coach LeBeau. That is a real shame. Anthony is too knuckleheaded to realize he has the opportunity to learn from a "should be" HOF coordinator.

tony hipchest
08-01-2008, 11:59 AM
he was just shooing away a bee.

he hates bees, wasps, and hornets.

"how can something so small hurt so bad? whats up with that?"

in fact he hates jerry seinfeld for starring in "the bee movie".

OneForTheToe
08-01-2008, 12:03 PM

Well, that explains everything.
:laughing:

That was probably the same bee that was distracting him when he blew that coverage in the New England game. Damn bees are always Cheatriot fans.:doh:

kochmanski
08-01-2008, 12:30 PM
God bless Ryan Clark.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Wow, I have a feeling he'll be cut by the end of camp.

Someone needs to explain to him that no contact means NO CONTACT. I recall him having the same problem understanding the concept last year also.

fansince'76
08-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Someone needs to explain to him that no contact means NO CONTACT. I recall him having the same problem understanding the concept last year also.

Yep, and as I recall, he was lauded for it: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=18200

Funny what one terrible game against the Patriots after having his comments taken out of context by the media before said game will do to folks' perception of a player. Next time Anthony, just say "no comment."

BikeHelmets4All
08-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Why did he open his mouth before the Patriots game last year?

Hapa
08-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Anthony Smith is seriously a retard.

Hammer Of The GODS
08-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Yep, and as I recall, he was lauded for it: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=18200

Funny what one terrible game against the Patriots after having his comments taken out of context by the media before said game will do to folks' perception of a player. Next time Anthony, just say "no comment."

I personally wasn't on the board back then.
My problem with Smith isn't his agressiveness. It's his lack of discipline and lack respect for DL. ( the TRUE defensive genius, not that pseudogenius beliprick ).
Smith has potential, but what good is potential if the kid isn't a team player?
People with his personality usually end up on the wrong side of the law at some point. It's just a matter of time.
I hope he gets his shyte together!

fansince'76
08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I personally wasn't on the board back then.
My problem with Smith isn't his agressiveness. It's his lack of discipline and lack respect for DL. ( the TRUE defensive genius, not that pseudogenius beliprick ).
Smith has potential, but what good is potential if the kid isn't a team player?
People with his personality usually end up on the wrong side of the law at some point. It's just a matter of time.
I hope he gets his shyte together!

Undisciplined? Agreed. My point was that the kid didn't start catching stick about disrespecting LeBeau until AFTER he screwed the pooch in the Patriots game.

Nary a word about "disrespecting LeBeau" right after this happened, in fact, most of the blame for this seemed to land in Cowher's lap:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=13352

Which underscores the larger point I was trying to make: attitudes in Steelers Nation toward Smith have done a complete 180 largely, if not wholly, due to the Patriots game last year.

As far as getting in trouble with the law, that's pretty presumptuous - IMO, the biggest locker room cancers/non-team players in the league are T.O. and Chad Johnson, and neither one of them have ever run afoul of the law to my knowledge.

Preacher
08-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Undisciplined? Agreed. My point was that the kid didn't start catching stick about disrespecting LeBeau until AFTER he screwed the pooch in the Patriots game.

Nary a word about "disrespecting LeBeau" right after this happened, in fact, most of the blame for this seemed to land in Cowher's lap:

Which underscores the larger point I was trying to make: attitudes in Steelers Nation toward Smith have done a complete 180 largely, if not wholly, due to the Patriots game last year.

As far as getting in trouble with the law, that's pretty presumptuous - IMO, the biggest locker room cancers/non-team players in the league are T.O. and Chad Johnson, and neither one of them have ever run afoul of the law to my knowledge.

Oh COME ONE FS...

Don't skip THIS thread!
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=26010&highlight=greene

Just look at how these two are PRAISED in this thread, REGARDLESS of that fact that they KEPT disrespecting and COMPLETELY ignoring the HEAD COACH.

Talk about mercurial fans...

tony hipchest
08-01-2008, 03:34 PM
panthers steve smith kicked the ass of yet another teammate today (bloodied his face and had him carted to the field). but hes a pro bowler. the fans love him.

Preacher
08-01-2008, 03:54 PM
panthers steve smith kicked the ass of yet another teammate today (bloodied his face and had him carted to the field). but hes a pro bowler. the fans love him.

Amazing isn't it.

All I want from people is consistancy. Either A-Smith is wrong... and so was Greene and Lloyd and ALL were bad elements when it came to discipline...

Or they are all freight-train hitters who should be praised.

The rules don't change just because one of them mouthed off to the reporter before a game.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Anthony Smith is a young and talented player who still needs to learn some things...I'm not ready to say cut the guy...Its not like he is laying out Big Ben...lol....Waving off one of your coaches is a problem...But can we really say that he did....I wasn't there at practice....If he was that big of a problem I would think the Steelers brass wouldn't stand for it....

Ok say Smith is cut.......That leaves Tyrone Carter and Ryan Mundy as the backups at S.......I'm hoping Mundy beats out Carter...So cutting Smith would create a huge depth problem at the position...Especially if Troy is banged up again all year...Plus Ryan Clark is also coming back from serious injury....Cutting Smith wouldn't be a wise move at all....

43Hitman
08-01-2008, 04:31 PM

Can't remember if I lauded him or not. But I know this, anytime someone let's their mouths write checks their ass can't cash they will almost always lose respect. Especially if at the same time they are disrespecting their coaches wishes.

Preacher
08-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Can't remember if I lauded him or not. But I know this, anytime someone let's their mouths write checks their ass can't cash they will almost always lose respect. Especially if at the same time they are disrespecting their coaches wishes.

That didn't happen however...

Please go back and watch or the the ACTUAL dialog between Smith and the Reporter.

SteelMember
08-01-2008, 04:37 PM

Oh, I heard he was just asking for a water break. Don't want to get cramps...

43Hitman
08-01-2008, 04:40 PM
I understand perfectly what Smith intended. But in today's game what is intended and what is perceived by the fans and media are two totally different things. So you get this situation we have now. Smith trying to prove he's a bad ass and going against the no contact rule. Which in turn is starting to have an ill effect on the fans.

fansince'76
08-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I understand perfectly what Smith intended. But in today's game what is intended and what is perceived by the fans and media are two totally different things. So you get this situation we have now. Smith trying to prove he's a bad ass and going against the no contact rule. Which in turn is starting to have an ill effect on the fans.

Which leads me back to the conclusion of my original comment in the thread....

Next time Anthony, just say "no comment."

RoethlisBURGHer
08-01-2008, 05:41 PM
I'll admit, last year I liked the fact that he did it. Last year he was trying to impress the new boss and last year Tomlin held a tough training camp. Tomlin asked for it to be more physical last year.

This year however, I have read that Tomlin isn't going to be as much of a hardass. He'll still want a physical camp, but no contact means no contact. I am pretty sure he laid this out to the players before the started practicing. Smith however, seems to not care about what the coaches want.

Also, my biggest problem with this is him waiving off LeBeau. If he keeps doing this, he'll find himself in the doghouse or cut. I don't remember reading about him waiving off his coaches last year...if he did I wouldn't have liked it then when I was higher on him.

IMHO, he regressed this past season from his rookie year. Instead if being in nickel and dime packages, he was asked to be a starter and he wasn't up to it.

43Hitman
08-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Which leads me back to the conclusion of my original comment in the thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=418206#post418206)
Next time Anthony, just say "no comment."

I agree that would be a wise idea. Hopefully he learned something from it.

OneForTheToe
08-01-2008, 05:57 PM
I don't think you cut A Smith. However, I do think he has to start showing some majority on and off the field (not a choir boy just progress) if he is to be in the long-term plans of the Steelers. Yes, the guy can hit. But at this point, I wouldn't trust him with the game on the line to either make the smart play, or to not take the unnecessary shot at the opponent costing the Steelers 15 yards at a crucial moment.

As for comparing Greene and Lloyd to Smith, I don't think that gets us anywhere. In a perfect world the same standards would apply to every player. However, that is not how things work. Greene and Lloyd (and Porter) were Pro Bowl caliber players. You get more leeway when you have already proven yourself as opposed to only having one int and a couple of big hits on your resume. Porter and Lloyd often opened their yaps but their collective butts covered the check their mouths wrote most of the time. I'm sorry, ... I haven't given up on the kid, but thus far, IMO, Anthony Smith hasn't earned the right to have an attitude about himself.

Preacher
08-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I'll admit, last year I liked the fact that he did it. Last year he was trying to impress the new boss and last year Tomlin held a tough training camp. Tomlin asked for it to be more physical last year.

This year however, I have read that Tomlin isn't going to be as much of a hardass. He'll still want a physical camp, but no contact means no contact. I am pretty sure he laid this out to the players before the started practicing. Smith however, seems to not care about what the coaches want.

Also, my biggest problem with this is him waiving off LeBeau. If he keeps doing this, he'll find himself in the doghouse or cut. I don't remember reading about him waiving off his coaches last year...if he did I wouldn't have liked it then when I was higher on him.

IMHO, he regressed this past season from his rookie year. Instead if being in nickel and dime packages, he was asked to be a starter and he wasn't up to it.

I am not sure if he regressed...

He just got caught in typical mistakes... Read the run play faster than he did hte first year, so he comes up to stop it... and opens himself up for a play-action.

Not regression, his reads are faster, now he needs the experience to not always trust his first read.

Mill Write
08-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Direct and correct unswer---dunno---but doesnt't look like it. Forget about cutting him--he's a player and gots potential. Good press outta "Cuse, got early attention with highlite hits.

HOWEVER, Since that post-interception hotdogging, when LeBeau got in his face, rightfully, for conduct unbecoming a Stiller, he got on my radar in a negative way. Subsequent mistakes and mis-steps--more hotdogging, blown plays, penalties--began to attract my attention in that negative light.

Thus, when Ryun Clark went down, two things bothered me. 1. There was virtually no concern expressed for him on the boards personally or team-wise. 2. There was near elation at the prospect of Anthony starting permanently.

I expressed my skepticism concerning the kid on a dearly departed board, expressing the opinion that he appeared to have a case of "knuckleheaditis". Sadly, my appraisal has been confirmed.

Yes, he was misquoted/setup by the reporter. But, as the saying goes, "It was not his fault, but still his responsibility." The Patriot game? Yes, unfortunate kid-like mistake, but it had to be dealt with.

Now, the latest, opening of Camp incident with Reid? Yes, not that bigga deal. The sport is tough and aggressiveness a premium. Like a previous poster said "It wasn't Ben---lol" HOWEVER, What if it was Ben? Or, more realistically, blowing Santonio's ACL, hurting an older more brittle Hines in a hundred different ways, or breaking Heath Millers hand?

Bottom line, I like the kid's hitting and potential. But it's on him to start showing he's not a kid, specifically by showing he can learn from mistakes and be a man.

Hines was a man when he was about six. Ben was a man the night he stepped under center in a Miami hurricane. Troy? Wille Parker? Dare I say, even Ike? Look how these guys have dealt with development, and then both prosperity and adversity.

It ain't the end of the world, but I'd love for Anthony Smith to show me something. He ain't done it yet. As far as I'm concerned, he's on double-secret probation. Pleased as punch that Clark is back.

Preacher
08-01-2008, 10:32 PM
I don't think so many people have judged him by one bad gaem , but his oppurtunity to play came the end of last year and he showed he is alot of talk and not much of a safety. He tackles strong, but fails in coverage, which defines alot of safeties in the league.

Fails in coverage? Really? DId you forget all the passes he broke up the year before?

He had a couple bad games, at a time when the rest of the team was also breaking down.

I am starting to think the Steeler-national past-time is who can flush the entire team down the toilet first... one player at a time.

fansince'76
08-01-2008, 10:44 PM
Direct and correct unswer---dunno---but doesnt't look like it. Forget about cutting him--he's a player and gots potential. Good press outta "Cuse, got early attention with highlite hits.

HOWEVER, Since that post-interception hotdogging, when LeBeau got in his face, rightfully, for conduct unbecoming a Stiller, he got on my radar in a negative way. Subsequent mistakes and mis-steps--more hotdogging, blown plays, penalties--began to attract my attention in that negative light.

Thus, when Ryun Clark went down, two things bothered me. 1. There was virtually no concern expressed for him on the boards personally or team-wise. 2. There was near elation at the prospect of Anthony starting permanently.

I expressed my skepticism concerning the kid on a dearly departed board, expressing the opinion that he appeared to have a case of "knuckleheaditis". Sadly, my appraisal has been confirmed.

Yes, he was misquoted/setup by the reporter. But, as the saying goes, "It was not his fault, but still his responsibility." The Patriot game? Yes, unfortunate kid-like mistake, but it had to be dealt with.

Now, the latest, opening of Camp incident with Reid? Yes, not that bigga deal. The sport is tough and aggressiveness a premium. Like a previous poster said "It wasn't Ben---lol" HOWEVER, What if it was Ben? Or, more realistically, blowing Santonio's ACL, hurting an older more brittle Hines in a hundred different ways, or breaking Heath Millers hand?

Bottom line, I like the kid's hitting and potential. But it's on him to start showing he's not a kid, specifically by showing he can learn from mistakes and be a man.

Hines was a man when he was about six. Ben was a man the night he stepped under center in a Miami hurricane. Troy? Wille Parker? Dare I say, even Ike? Look how these guys have dealt with development, and then both prosperity and adversity.

It ain't the end of the world, but I'd love for Anthony Smith to show me something. He ain't done it yet. As far as I'm concerned, he's on double-secret probation. Pleased as punch that Clark is back.

Finally, a critique I can agree with. One that doesn't sugarcoat the flaws that exist in Smith's game, but one that doesn't throw him completely under the bus either. Welcome to the board! :cheers:

Preacher
08-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Finally, a critique I can agree with. One that doesn't sugarcoat the flaws that exist in Smith's game, but one that doesn't throw him completely under the bus either. Welcome to the board! :cheers:

Sure is nice to hear someone think through the criticism instead of just overreaction and overgeneralizing.

Unlike some of these jewels we have heard around here about some players.... He sucks... trade him... cut him... Why? Cause he looked at me wrong! Cause he said my nephew didn't have the proper female body parts (censored) because he said blah blah blah.....

9-5
08-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Anthony Smith is a dirty, arrogant, punk. You don't just "wave off" a hall of fame coordinator like he did. I got news for you, Dick LeBeau is way better then you will ever be, dude. Not to mention he has been in the league since before you were born. Show some respect!!!

ricksteelers55
08-02-2008, 01:10 AM
I will tell you this...A-Smith is not as bad as a lot of people say he is.The reason why we say he isnt playin well is because of his attitude problem and like a lot of you said earlier,he doesnt deserve to have an attitude when you're not a Pro Bowler,hell I'd even say he doesnt deserve to have an attitude when you wear black n gold.

But honestly,do we really cut Smith before Carter? I think I'd put Jeff Reed in before Carter if it was a close game.

Let's say this....Smith has to bring his game to another level this year or his first contract might be his last with the steelers.

Still have some faith in the guy just want him to realize that he has the tools to be something but he also has to be a team player not only a selfplayer

Galax Steeler
08-02-2008, 03:49 AM
I am not ready to give up on smith yet I didn't like hearing that he waved off Lebeau but I still belive that he has alot of potential I would rather hang on to him and get rid of carter.

The Duke
08-02-2008, 04:00 AM
he definitely has the potential to succeed, he just needs to changee his attitude an learn from ryan clark

Let's say this....Smith has to bring his game to another level this year or his first contract might be his last with the steelers.

exactly :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
08-02-2008, 09:26 AM
I think it's time one of the veterans take Smith aside and remind him of who he plays for and that he needs to learn respect for the coaches and the other players that wear the same uniform.

I think Smith is still trying to win a position on this team. And he probably, IMHO, thinks that he's got to lay it all on the line. Especially after the patriots* game last year.

While I admire his aggressiveness on gameday, he's got to learn to curtail it during practices that are suppose to be no-contact.

He's definitely a player I enjoy seeing in the Black and Gold, just like Lloyd, Greene, Porter, and lots of others. Did they all respect DL? I'm sure at some point in their stays in Pittsburgh, they may have waved DL off once or twice.

Maybe Dickie L should take Smith aside and let him know that if he doesn't straighten up, he's going to personally teach him a few lessons in respect (I'm sure Dickie can still lay the hurt)!!

St33lersguy
08-02-2008, 10:12 AM

Wow another current WR to add to my list of current WRs that I have no respect for which includes all world egomaniac T.O., ocho stinko, and Randy "I only perform when I'm on a good team" Moss.

As for Anthony Smith does waving off your own Defensive Coordinator 8 months after opening your mouth and not backing it up qualify as maturing?
Answer: NO

Edman
08-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Do we even know the whole story here?

No, don't blame the whole defense for sucking that day, blame Anthony Smith for "screwing the pooch". Yep, all Anthony's fault. Scapegoat is all he is getting for the Steelers suffering another loss against New England.

So the next time our Defense gets shredded, let's blame Anthony Smith. Since you know, Anthony Smith is guilty until proven innocent.

43Hitman
08-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't think this back lash is coming just from that game Edman. I think it's more of a combination of things. Primarily his lack of respect to the coaching staff. Like waving off coach Lebeau after making heavy contact when there wasn't supposed to be.

Do I think we should cut him? Hell no!

Do I think he should be using his head a bit more? Hell yeah!

fansince'76
08-02-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't think this back lash is coming just from that game....

Sorry, but I beg to differ. Here are a few posts from last season before the Pats game and then after.

Before:

great hit! i love how cbs showed he replay from all six angles.

#27 already has a long list of hits on his resume, buy the jersey now.

Already got my 27 Anthony Smith jersey. I went to the Buf. game in week 2 and I didnt see anyone else with one. I am guessing they are going to get poupular now. I think we are going to see a pic 6 soon from him, high steppin, show boating, pissing Lebeau off. I cant wait to see it.:tt02:

Anthony SMith is the future FS. He plays great and hits hard, and most importantly, he fits the scheme. He has to mature a bit, but he is playing MUCH better than Polamalu and a big reason the defense has been so good.

And after:

I love how he runs his mouth and then gets beat for 3TDs...yeah he makes a couple plays but he needs to sit down and watch some film on how to really play defence...all i have to say is that this game is an embaressment and maybe Anthony needs to be running all week during practice...And why doesnt Tomlin say something to these players, he just stands there doing absolutely nothing.:banging::banging::banging::banging::bangi ng::banging::banging::banging::

Well Smith needs to learn to shut his mouth so he is not embarassed at the end of the game when the score is 34-13!
He can't back it up and is not even recongnized as a good safety i don't get it!

Ok...I know I'm really pissed off about the way our STEELERS played...I can honeslty say I am not a Anthony Smith fan...I will not be buying his jersey at FANZ... he let his big F uk en mouth do the takin and let his dumb ass do the walkin....I can't stand players like that... I wish this one time I could cut a player from the net..... it would be him... go to the Cowboys w/ TO and talk Anthony ; its not a part of STEELERS smash mouth football until you have proven your reputation and ability...

Anthony Smith really makes me sick right now !!!

GO STEELERS ...I love all you guys...just not #27 !!!!!!!!!

A LOT of fans seemed to love the kid when he was knocking Mucho Stinko's gold teef out. Quite a different story after the Pats game pretty much to the present.

Preacher
08-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Sorry, but I beg to differ. Here are a few posts from last season before the Pats game and then after.

Before:

And after:

A LOT of fans seemed to love the kid when he was knocking Mucho Stinko's gold teef out. Quite a different story after the Pats game pretty much to the present.

EXCELLENT POST.

Is the kid a knucklehead? Yep. But I STILL love the kid and his intensity. People have to give players time to GROW into their game. Goodness. 4 games when the REST of the D was horrible... come on people.

SHould he be starting now? No. Should he get another chance... absolutely!

BlastFurnace
08-02-2008, 05:37 PM
So far, Anthony Smith has a big bag of nothing on his resume other than some nice hits. It's his 3rd year and he needs to decide if he is going to be Lee Flowers Lite or be the player the Steelers intended him on being.

Sure, we all lauded him for his big hits, but as we saw last season, he has a lot of work to do before he can be a starter on this team...and we have a glaring hole opposite of Polamalu if Clark has another episode this season.

Time for this kid to grow up, listen to his coaches, and become a better player.

Edman
08-02-2008, 06:50 PM
So far, Anthony Smith has a big bag of nothing on his resume other than some nice hits. It's his 3rd year and he needs to decide if he is going to be Lee Flowers Lite or be the player the Steelers intended him on being.

Sure, we all lauded him for his big hits, but as we saw last season, he has a lot of work to do before he can be a starter on this team...and we have a glaring hole opposite of Polamalu if Clark has another episode this season.

Time for this kid to grow up, listen to his coaches, and become a better player.

More Anthony Smith scapegoating.

That's funny, considering the Defensive woes last year had more to do with poor tackling and spotty run D after we lost Aaron Smith on the line.

Preacher
08-02-2008, 06:52 PM

That's funny, considering the Defensive woes last year had more to do with poor tackling and spotty run D after we lost Aaron Smith on the line.

I for one beleive that if A smith was playing in that last game... the tackle would have been made.

And that is just the thing. A Smith did NOT lose that game for us against the Patriots.
The other FS did NOT lose that game for us again the Jags. They were both lost by a MULTITUDE of mistakes.

The Duke
08-02-2008, 07:05 PM
And that is just the thing. A Smith did NOT lose that game for us against the Patriots.
The other FS did NOT lose that game for us again the Jags. They were both lost by a MULTITUDE of mistakes.

you're exactly right preacher!!

sadly, it is easier for some to put the blame on a single person....

yes, anthony made mistakes ( ok big mistakes) , but where was the offense? 13 points against the pats? they seemed like they gave up at the 2nd half. and against the jags interceptions and allowing kickoff returns put the steelers on a big hole

anthony can still improve, and I hope he is the FS of the future, when clark leaves off course, and I'll root for him till the end

BlastFurnace
08-02-2008, 07:59 PM

You're reading way too much into what I said. I'm not blaming the poor defensive play on Anthony Smith. I just don't think he is that good of a football player, but if he is, he needs to start showing it.

Like you, I fully understand the importance of Aaron Smith to the DL, but that is not the issue. It's a matter of defending a player like Anthony Smith that has shown very little since he has been drafted other than he can hit hard.

The bottom line is that people are reporting that Anthony Smith doesn't listen to LeBeau, and that I think we all can agree that is not very smart.

In my original post, I mentioned that Anthony Smith needed to become what the Steelers drafted him to be....please Edman, tell me where I blamed the defensive problems on Anthony Smith anywhere in my post.

BlastFurnace
08-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I for one beleive that if A smith was playing in that last game... the tackle would have been made.

I don't think Anthony Smith lost that game for us either...on his own. He was burned by Moss, but a lot of people were burned by Moss last year.

The Patriots won because they were the better team...plain and simple.

The Jaguars won because our defense couldn't hold the opposing team from scoring on their last drive....just like against Denver and the N.Y. Jets.

fansince'76
08-02-2008, 09:06 PM
The bottom line is that people are reporting that Anthony Smith doesn't listen to LeBeau....

Yep, and it's coming from a pretty dubious source from where I'm sitting:

I didn’t get a good view, but another reporter told me that after the play Smith waved off defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau....

OK, so somebody told somebody else that A. Smith "waved off" LeBeau. What does that mean, exactly? Maybe Smith pulled up short during the play and LeBeau began heading in his direction to see if he was hurt and/or offer assistance and Smith made a 'waving off" gesture to indicate he was OK. But no, everybody has to assume the worst and that Smith was being insubordinate, and I still say these assumptions are being made based largely, if not entirely, on his performance in the Patriots game.

X-Terminator
08-02-2008, 09:15 PM
I am starting to think the Steeler-national past-time is who can flush the entire team down the toilet first... one player at a time.

Starting to think? Where have you been for the past 30 years???

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-02-2008, 09:18 PM

This is about like saying it's time for Aaron Rodgers to step up and prove what he's made of last year. Smith hasn't proven what he's made of because he's stuck behind a very solid, very underrated FS. He was pretty good overall when he came in, and if I'm not mistaken he was involved in some nickel packages the last few years and played well.

Smith got beat by Brady, one of the best in the game, and Gaffney, who could be a #2 most places. I'm fine with him getting beat by some of the best in the league in his first few starts, on a play that was crazy as hell. Smith wasn't the only one who bit on it, he's just the one that can't bite on plays like that, and I'm betting he's realizing that now.

Anthony "Bricks" (I love that, btw, can't remember who originated it) has proven what he has, his play isn't in question. Now, the attitude has to go. If he mouths off to LeBeau that should not be accepted whatsoever (at least not until he's a multi Pro Bowler :wink02: ...I kid). It'd be one thing if he apologized about it later and chalked it up to intensity, but LeBeau seems legitimately pissed when Smith starts mouthing off.

wootawnee
08-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Everybody lay off a little........We all have to grow up some times and become more mature......That just is the way life is......Ya gotta help the kids along and lead them the right way......Not scorn them for a couple mistakes..........Let them tell ya what they did wrong.........Not just throw stones at them to make you feel better..........This kid got a lot to learn...........So does Chad Johnson........Heck Cowher finally learned in 05 to let his coaches and players take some more of the responsibilities and not to over coach......It was his 14th season.......We all have things to learn or we would win the superbowl every year.....We just have to get over the denial that we don't.....Learn from each other on the feild and off and that is what champions are made of........

fansince'76
08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
I still think that if Smith was as big a discipline problem as people keep making him out to be, he'd be gone by now. I don't think LeBeau, or Tomlin for that matter, have the time or the inclination to play babysitter.

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I still think that if Smith was as big a discipline problem as people keep making him out to be, he'd be gone by now. I don't think LeBeau, or Tomlin for that matter, have the time or the inclination to play babysitter.

I'm hoping so too. I figure people are exagerrating minor things and he's just a very intense player. As long as he doesn't do the stupid penalties thing, I've got no problem with fire, assuming the coaches can and don't mind handling it.

Preacher
08-02-2008, 09:59 PM

I gotta say I agree.

After all, if they put their starting NT on the PUP list because he simply failed the run test... if they let their starting LG go because he is a locker-room cancer among other things... if they let Porter go because of a HINT of a hold-out...

Does ANYONE think they would hold on to a second string player who completely and repeatedly disrespects coaches?

Oh, and by the way... I was one of the harshest critiques of him last year when he don't show up to a signing because of money. This isn't about drinking the kool-aid. it is about being honest with assessments.

Steeldude
08-02-2008, 11:49 PM
if they let their starting LG go because he is a locker-room cancer among other things... if they let Porter go because of a HINT of a hold-out..

IMO, faneca was more of a price tag problem and porter was more of a washed-up problem with a better LB waiting in the wings.

i like smith's aggressiveness, but he needs to learn that there is a lot more to football than trying to see how hard you can hit someone. other than a handful of hard hits, i haven't really seen anything positive from him on the field. i still think he would be suited as a SS.

Does ANYONE think they would hold on to a second string player who completely and repeatedly disrespects coaches

they could be tolerating him because they aren't sure of clark's health yet or perhaps his upside outweighs his poor attitude for the moment.

oh well, whatever the case may be i hope he does better in coverage this season and keeps his mouth shut :smile:

Preacher
08-03-2008, 12:30 AM
IMO, faneca was more of a price tag problem and porter was more of a washed-up problem with a better LB waiting in the wings.

i like smith's aggressiveness, but he needs to learn that there is a lot more to football than trying to see how hard you can hit someone. other than a handful of hard hits, i haven't really seen anything positive from him on the field. i still think he would be suited as a SS.

they could be tolerating him because they aren't sure of clark's health yet or perhaps his upside outweighs his poor attitude for the moment.

oh well, whatever the case may be i hope he does better in coverage this season and keeps his mouth shut :smile:

On that... we completely agree! :thumbsup:

Blah! Blah! Blah!
08-03-2008, 02:38 AM
I don't know a whole lot about the Steelers chemistry or leadership but it would seem to me that if he is really a problem then the team/veterans should put him in line and hold him accountable. To me that would come across as a more powerful statement than having the coaches having to spend time babysitting and dealing with the BS IF he is truly a problem. I also think that the leaders/veterans putting players and their teammates in line and holding them accountable goes a long way in developing the team. Again I do not know a whole lot about the Steelers leadership or chemistry etc.

GBMelBlount
08-03-2008, 05:47 AM

I feel smith has potential and certainly would like to give him another year or two to hopefully improve his play and mature. I really like his attitude, he just needs to be a little more controlled and focused at times imo.

BlastFurnace
08-03-2008, 06:39 AM
Yep, and it's coming from a pretty dubious source from where I'm sitting:

OK, so somebody told somebody else that A. Smith "waved off" LeBeau. What does that mean, exactly? Maybe Smith pulled up short during the play and LeBeau began heading in his direction to see if he was hurt and/or offer assistance and Smith made a 'waving off" gesture to indicate he was OK. But no, everybody has to assume the worst and that Smith was being insubordinate, and I still say these assumptions are being made based largely, if not entirely, on his performance in the Patriots game.

The person I read this from was Dale Lolley, who happens to attend Steelers camp every day. Dale, from years of reading his material, is a very good and reliable source.