19. Illinois 0-0 422
20. Oregon 0-0 399
21. South Florida 0-0 350
22. Penn State 0-0 313
23. Wake Forest 0-0 203
24. Michigan 0-0 112
25. Fresno State 0-0 91
Others Receiving Votes
Alabama 83, South Carolina 64, Utah 60, Rutgers 53, Florida State 53, Boston College 47, California 41, Pittsburgh 34, Boise State 25, Oregon State 23, Nebraska 17, Cincinnati 13, Virginia 12, Connecticut 9, Michigan State 9, Mississippi State 6, Kentucky 5, Notre Dame 5, TCU 5, Maryland 4, Texas A&M 3, UCLA 3, North Carolina 3, Louisville 2, Georgia Tech 2, UCF 2, Tulsa 1, Oklahoma State 1, Arizona 1, Colorado 1.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I was going to be stunned if Pitt didn't at least get votes

Dino 6 Rings
08-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Now...lets take a good long look at this. First and most obvious is the OSU USC rankings. They play each other week 3. So the loser, of that game between 2 and 3 could drop all the way down to at least 9 in the rankings. Considering that none of the teams above them should have a loss at that point in the season. they play one another on 9/13.
So take a look at the other teams and who they play up to that point.

Georgia has Georgia Southern, Central Mich and then South Carolina on 9/13. Not likely to lose those games. Not if they are truly a #1 team.

Oklahoma plays Chattanooga...nevermind how Sick that makes me, then they play Cincinnati, which could be a tough game for 2 and 1/2 quarters, and then at Washington on 9/13. If it was Oregon, I'd worry for Oklahoma...but its not. They should be 3-0.

Florida plays Hawaii, yawn, then Miam FL, which could be tough but Florida should win since Miami is two seasons away from being truly viable, then a bi week. They should be 2-0.

The most sickening opening schedule is held by LSU. Appy State, which I doubt they pull an upset this season after what they did to Michigan last year, Then Troy...really? Troy? Then North Texas...without Mean Joe Greene, just not quite a good team. SO they should be 3-0.

Missouri. Now the first game should be wild vs Illinois. If they can find a way to win this game like they did last year, then go on to beat SE Missouri State (Huh?) and then Nevada...who? they should be 3-0. If they lose to Illinois then they will drop hard in the polls into the teens for sure.

West Virginia, Villanova, East Carolina...honestly...that's a joke. I'm embarressed for my Big East. Then they go to Colorado, who will be improved this year and if they aren't careful, could sneak up on WVU. Especially if they think Colorado is the same as the two dogs they just played. Of Coarse, East Carolina, the Pirates I think, aren't that shabby, just don't have the depth to compete for 4 quarters.

Clemson. Alabama week 1. Major Gut Check and I admire this scheduling. after that...seriously...the Citadel...ugly game, then NC State. A very tough game. I don't see Clemson winning all 3 so they will drop into the Teens.

That leaves Texas at 10. Florida Atlantic, who I still think has Never beaten a Div I team...I'd have to fact check that...but FAU is Horrible at football. Then Utep...2-0, then Arkansas, Now Arkansas will take this game very seriously...they HATE Texas, but they don't have the horses to win this one this year. I give this to Texas.

So with Auburn and Wisconsin in good position to move up by being 3-0 after week 3, it is conceivable that the loser of the USC vs OSU game will actually DROP out of the top 10.

That's just crazy.

Dino 6 Rings
08-01-2008, 12:05 PM
I was going to be stunned if Pitt didn't at least get votes

With the weapons we have on offense and most of our defense back from last season, we had to get votes to be in the top 25. Now the schedule is the strongest in the Big East, including Navy, Iowa and Notre Dame. We do have Bowling Green which isn't as big a gimme as people think, but scheduling Buffalo hurts our ranking even if we open at 2-0. Week 3 is the Week of movement for the Panthers, if they can beat the Hawkeyes and be at 3-0 going into the Syracuse game, I could see us cracking into the top 25 if a couple lower end teams, like Wake Forest or Kansas, lose games early enough in the season.

Dino 6 Rings
08-01-2008, 12:06 PM
But this thread isn't about Pitt its about the Coaches Poll and breaking it down.

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Now...lets take a good long look at this. First and most obvious is the OSU USC rankings. They play each other week 3. So the loser, of that game between 2 and 3 could drop all the way down to at least 9 in the rankings. Considering that none of the teams above them should have a loss at that point in the season. they play one another on 9/13.
So take a look at the other teams and who they play up to that point.

Georgia has Georgia Southern, Central Mich and then South Carolina on 9/13. Not likely to lose those games. Not if they are truly a #1 team.

Oklahoma plays Chattanooga...nevermind how Sick that makes me, then they play Cincinnati, which could be a tough game for 2 and 1/2 quarters, and then at Washington on 9/13. If it was Oregon, I'd worry for Oklahoma...but its not. They should be 3-0.

Florida plays Hawaii, yawn, then Miam FL, which could be tough but Florida should win since Miami is two seasons away from being truly viable, then a bi week. They should be 2-0.

The most sickening opening schedule is held by LSU. Appy State, which I doubt they pull an upset this season after what they did to Michigan last year, Then Troy...really? Troy? Then North Texas...without Mean Joe Greene, just not quite a good team. SO they should be 3-0.

Missouri. Now the first game should be wild vs Illinois. If they can find a way to win this game like they did last year, then go on to beat SE Missouri State (Huh?) and then Nevada...who? they should be 3-0. If they lose to Illinois then they will drop hard in the polls into the teens for sure.

West Virginia, Villanova, East Carolina...honestly...that's a joke. I'm embarressed for my Big East. Then they go to Colorado, who will be improved this year and if they aren't careful, could sneak up on WVU. Especially if they think Colorado is the same as the two dogs they just played. Of Coarse, East Carolina, the Pirates I think, aren't that shabby, just don't have the depth to compete for 4 quarters.

Clemson. Alabama week 1. Major Gut Check and I admire this scheduling. after that...seriously...the Citadel...ugly game, then NC State. A very tough game. I don't see Clemson winning all 3 so they will drop into the Teens.

That leaves Texas at 10. Florida Atlantic, who I still think has Never beaten a Div I team...I'd have to fact check that...but FAU is Horrible at football. Then Utep...2-0, then Arkansas, Now Arkansas will take this game very seriously...they HATE Texas, but they don't have the horses to win this one this year. I give this to Texas.

So with Auburn and Wisconsin in good position to move up by being 3-0 after week 3, it is conceivable that the loser of the USC vs OSU game will actually DROP out of the top 10.

That's just crazy.

I could sense that happening. Heck, either teams national championship chances could be severly shattered(But not totally shot). Reason being for both schools this is the big marquee game on their schedules.

Ohio State has Ytown State, Ohio, and Troy on their non-conference. They better run the table in the conference if they even want an outside shot at the BCS title game again after the USC Game if USC Should win.

The other USC Non-Conference games are against Virginia, and Notre Dame. I can not possibly see that as a huge help to them. Virginia hasn't exactly been middle of the pack at worst in the ACC for awhile and Notre Dame got its biggest shot of reality last year and I think they're going to get an even bigger shot of reality this year. The team is not as good as some like to advertise it. Besides, ND's schedule sucks. Their best games are USC, Pitt, Purdue, and MSU. Yet at best they may go only between 4-8 and 6-6.

Dino 6 Rings
08-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Ohio State has Ytown State, Ohio, and Troy on their non-conference. They better run the table in the conference if they even want an outside shot at the BCS title game again after the USC Game if USC Should win.

After the last two seasons, I believe that no matter what happens OSU will have to be undefeated to get to the title game this year. Any other conference with a 1 loss team will Trump OSU if they have a single loss on their schedule. The chances of USC and all the Big 12 teams and all the SEC Teams having more than one loss are so remote. Yes, a 2 loss team made it last year, but I don't see how OSU could possibly get in this season if they have an L anywhere on their schedule, even if it does come against USC.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Oklahoma plays Chattanooga...nevermind how Sick that makes me, then they play Cincinnati, which could be a tough game for 2 and 1/2 quarters, and then at Washington on 9/13. If it was Oregon, I'd worry for Oklahoma...but its not. They should be 3-0..

FINALLY. I can't knock the Buckeyes for an early season cupcake. BUT what more does one need to know about Oklahoma and that puss Bob Stoops then Chattanooga then Cincy.

On January 4, 2005 the "Greatest College Football Team in history" gave up a record 55 points, a record FIVE touchdown passes, 525 yards in LESS THAN 25 minutes.

Couldn't have happened to a better guy. :hatsoff:

St33lersguy
08-01-2008, 03:35 PM
If OSU beats USC it shouldn't be too long before OSU is ranked #1 yet again. OSU-USC will be a heck of a game as a possible BCS championship matchup and a highly likely Rose Bowl matchup.
Illinois certainly has the potential to falter and fail to duplicate the success unless their good players from last year wasn't just our 1st round steal.

xfl2001fan
08-01-2008, 04:25 PM
After the last two seasons, I believe that no matter what happens OSU will have to be undefeated to get to the title game this year. Any other conference with a 1 loss team will Trump OSU if they have a single loss on their schedule. The chances of USC and all the Big 12 teams and all the SEC Teams having more than one loss are so remote. Yes, a 2 loss team made it last year, but I don't see how OSU could possibly get in this season if they have an L anywhere on their schedule, even if it does come against USC.

OSU wouldn't have gotten a title shot last year were it not for several teams above them faltering late as well. The backed into a NC butt-whooping because of other teams failures.

Should OSU lose to USC (and then manage to run the table the rest of the season), it's still very much possible that the Big 12 and SEC could also produce 1-loss season champs allowing for another back-door championship shot.

xfl2001fan
08-01-2008, 04:26 PM
If OSU beats USC it shouldn't be too long before OSU is ranked #1 yet again. OSU-USC will be a heck of a game as a possible BCS championship matchup and a highly likely Rose Bowl matchup.
Illinois certainly has the potential to falter and fail to duplicate the success unless their good players from last year wasn't just our 1st round steal.

Georgia will have to lose for that to happen. Who exactly do you see them losing to?

SteelCityMan786
08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Only teams I could see Georgia losing to is Florida or LSU. I just think that UGA will be the next SEC team to make the national championship game.

Preacher
08-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Here is the USA Today Coaches Poll for the upcoming season:

1. Georgia (22) 0-0 1,438
2. USC (14) 0-0 1,430
3. Ohio State (14) 0-0 1,392
4. Oklahoma (3) 0-0 1,329
5. Florida (5) 0-0 1,293
6. LSU (3) 0-0 1,163
7. Missouri 0-0 1,143
8. West Virginia 0-0 1,008
9. Clemson 0-0 999
10. Texas 0-0 979
11. Auburn 0-0 888
12. Wisconsin 0-0 747
13. Kansas 0-0 714
14. Texas Tech 0-0 644
15. Virginia Tech 0-0 568
16. Arizona State 0-0 560
17. Brigham Young 0-0 547
18. Tennessee 0-0 506
19. Illinois 0-0 422
20. Oregon 0-0 399
21. South Florida 0-0 350
22. Penn State 0-0 313
23. Wake Forest 0-0 203
24. Michigan 0-0 112
25. Fresno State 0-0 91
Others Receiving Votes
Alabama 83, South Carolina 64, Utah 60, Rutgers 53, Florida State 53, Boston College 47, California 41, Pittsburgh 34, Boise State 25, Oregon State 23, Nebraska 17, Cincinnati 13, Virginia 12, Connecticut 9, Michigan State 9, Mississippi State 6, Kentucky 5, Notre Dame 5, TCU 5, Maryland 4, Texas A&M 3, UCLA 3, North Carolina 3, Louisville 2, Georgia Tech 2, UCF 2, Tulsa 1, Oklahoma State 1, Arizona 1, Colorado 1.

Woohooo Georgia has won the championship.... all they have to do is remain undefeated... regardless of whether ANY of the other teams do the same.

I hate the college football system.

Dino 6 Rings
08-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Only teams I could see Georgia losing to is Florida or LSU. I just think that UGA will be the next SEC team to make the national championship game.

Well since Georgia is a historic CHOKE artist...I could see them losing in the desert to Arizona State. If not, LSU, Florida and Auburn should all be tough wins. Remember, Florida is pssssed off about the touchdown celebration last season that Georgia pulled off when the entire team ran into the endzone and got 2 15yard penatlies...Florida has this game circled big time.

millwalldavey
08-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Preacher, I thinks we need a tournament!

Mild surprise to see my Wolverines ranked. HAppy to see my 1A Panthers getting some respect!

Michigan is going to be boom or bust this year... For some reason I can see them winning 3-4 games max, or something clicking and them winning about 8-9...

Preacher
08-01-2008, 06:56 PM
Preacher, I thinks we need a tournament!

Mild surprise to see my Wolverines ranked. HAppy to see my 1A Panthers getting some respect!

Michigan is going to be boom or bust this year... For some reason I can see them winning 3-4 games max, or something clicking and them winning about 8-9...

Absolutely.

Every other sport has one. And I don't wanna hear about how much "tougher" football is. A four week tournament is exactly what is called for.. with the final game on New Years day... with all the other bowl games even.

millwalldavey
08-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Absolutely.

Every other sport has one. And I don't wanna hear about how much "tougher" football is. A four week tournament is exactly what is called for.. with the final game on New Years day... with all the other bowl games even.

If every other level in football can, so can D1

xfl2001fan
08-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Woohooo Georgia has won the championship.... all they have to do is remain undefeated... regardless of whether ANY of the other teams do the same.

I hate the college football system.

If Oklahoma and either USC/OSU goes undefeated crushing their competition, they could possibly pass up Georgia. Unlikely, because of the SEC hype...but possible.

However, they do need to figure out a tournament. Either a 4 or 8 team style tournament with the finals played at a neutral site. (Too man bowl games feature one of the teams basically having a home game.

SteelCityMan786
08-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Absolutely.

16-32 Teams is what I would call for. Sure people are going to say, oh it will take away from their study times. BALONEY! It's a fact, but again, it's no excuse. If you're going to say that about Division I College Football, you might as well say that about D I-AA, D II, D III, High School, etc. Basketball Players miss more class time then Football players do. Football teams only have 1 game a week(AND THEY HAPPEN ON WEEKENDS. Give me a number of college kids that actually would study on a weekend. I can probably tell you it would be pretty low). The average Basketball team has at least 2-3 games per week. Sometimes less, sometimes even more. (AND THEY HAVE GAMES ON ANY NIGHT OF THE WEEK).

How my own 16 team playoff format would work would be:

*Each of the major(ACC, Big Ten, Big East, Big XII, Pac 10, SEC) conference's champion get an automatic birth
*The Conference Runners up of each conference mentioned above get in
*4 other teams would fight to be at larges
*Have each BCS bowl(Orange, Rose, Sugar, Fiesta) act like a region.
*All Games at neutral sites

Under this format each team would have to play and win 4 games to win the National championship.

How a 32 team would work
*Each of the major(ACC, Big Ten, Big East, Big XII, Pac 10, SEC) conference's champion get an automatic birth
*The Conference Runners up and 3rd Place team of each conference mentioned above get in
*14 At Larges after that are up for grabs
*Have each BCS Bowl Act as a region.
*All Games at Neutral Sites(EXCEPTION:First Round goes to campus sites)

Under this format each team would have to play and win 5 games to win the national championship.

Take some of the teams with winning records and have them play in bowl games like they do in D I-AA.

revefsreleets
08-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Georgia will lose a game this year: Bank it. And I can't say for certain it will even be against a top-tier team. They choke once a year like clockwork. But if they win out does anyone think they DON'T deserve to play for the NC? They are traveling to ASU (which isn't quite USC in LA) but it's nice to see SEC on the road against top 25 competition anyway.

I don't have any big problems with the rest of the rankings. It's a long season, and a couple of these teams will falter while a couple bubble teams will excel. That's what I love about College football...

atlsteelers
08-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Well since Georgia is a historic CHOKE artist...I could see them losing in the desert to Arizona State. If not, LSU, Florida and Auburn should all be tough wins. Remember, Florida is pssssed off about the touchdown celebration last season that Georgia pulled off when the entire team ran into the endzone and got 2 15yard penatlies...Florida has this game circled big time.

I would not say that we (UGA) anywhere near choke artist. Heck we lost to South Carolina last year (they were ranked as high number 5 in the country before they got killed by injuries) and we lost to UT at UT (any game at Tennesee is tough).

Only reason florida is ticked about the endzone celebration is that we won the game. Screw the urban cryer. The tide has turned in that series, Georgia has returned to being competitve agianst Florida. This game is always circled in.
We play past TWO BCS Champions back to back. If we do not win it this year Auburn might. Hey we are in the SEC, we expect a brutal conference schedule. So if we lose a game i am not worried about being a "Chole Artist" we leave that to the Big Ten Champs in the BCS Title Games.

Dino 6 Rings
08-05-2008, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=atlsteelers;418899]I would not say that we (UGA) anywhere near choke artist. Heck we lost to South Carolina last year (they were ranked as high number 5 in the country before they got killed by injuries) and we lost to UT at UT (any game at Tennesee is tough).QUOTE]

Georgia is a Historic Choke.

Look at their history. Whenever they start the season ranked high, in the top 10, they lose a game and drop in the polls. Go look up their history for the last 10 or so seasons and prove me wrong. You can't. They choke historically.

revefsreleets
08-05-2008, 09:30 AM
There's no doubt about it, the Bulldogs, while perennially super talented, always fall short at some point in the season. SC and UT were both games they should have won, and drawing Hawaii for thier bowl game was a complete joke.

atlsteelers
08-06-2008, 02:47 PM
First of all you all are crazy. The dawgs were 2 point favorites at UT last season and they got destroyed. vs south coralina they were only 4 point favorites. I would not call losing a game that you are favored by a field goal a choke job. I know in the big ten there is no competition and OSU is favored by at least 10 points in every game they play in so any conference loss seems like a choke job like you all did agianst illinois last year. Hell a TWO loss LSU and a ONE loss Florida may "choke" in a conference game but they sure do show up in the BCS title game.

Dino 6 Rings
08-06-2008, 03:32 PM
First of all you all are crazy. The dawgs were 2 point favorites at UT last season and they got destroyed. vs south coralina they were only 4 point favorites. I would not call losing a game that you are favored by a field goal a choke job. I know in the big ten there is no competition and OSU is favored by at least 10 points in every game they play in so any conference loss seems like a choke job like you all did agianst illinois last year. Hell a TWO loss LSU and a ONE loss Florida may "choke" in a conference game but they sure do show up in the BCS title game.

Crazy Huh? Check your "dawg" history and then get back to me ok.

2002, Georgia starts off the season 8-0, then CHOKES to Florida, Florida lost 5 games that year.

2003, 3 losses, 2 to LSU and one to Florida.

2004, start 4 -0, CHOKE to Tennessee, then lose again to Auburn, finish with 2 losses. Typical Georgia Style.

2005, start 7-0, then CHOKE two in a row to Florida and Auburn and get punched in the face in a bowl vs West Virginia.

2006, start 5-0, hype starts again, about Georgia and then, CHOKE at Tennessee, and then...Vandy? finish 9-4, typical Georgia.

2007, lose to South Carolina, and then get kicked in the throat by...Tennessee again! then have a joke bowl against Hawaii.

Prove me wrong. Finish a season with 0 in the loss column then I'll give them "dawgs" credit.

Until then, they are an over hyped team that never lives up to the expectations and find a way to Blow it as the season goes on. Every single Time!

xfl2001fan
08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
2005, get punched in the face in a bowl vs West Virginia.

That game was absolutely awesome!!!! That fake punt was an instant classic! And to think, not only did they choke that game away, but they did it in their backyard!!!

revefsreleets
08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
When cornered with facts, the SEC fans know one defense: Attack the Big Ten!

Georgia will choke again this year. Bank it.

SteelCityMan786
08-06-2008, 07:23 PM

SEC fans will attack Ohio State more though than any other Big Ten School.

revefsreleets
08-07-2008, 07:46 AM
And I get that...0-9 and all that. But we NEVER play Vandy or Ole Miss or bottom feeders, and we never play SEC schools outside the south, so...be nice if the first victim came in this years NCG.

Anyway, the top 3 will change. OSU/USC winner will eventually be #1 as soon as Georgia chokes, and then it's that teams NCG spot to lose.

atlsteelers
08-07-2008, 08:43 AM
That sugar bowl game between UGA and Moutianeers was a great game. We lost 38-35, but we came back and it made it interesting. by no means was i dissappointed. You guys act like losing 2 SEC games is the end of the world. If you all can not apprecaite the competition in greatest college football conference its your loss. We down south have learned to repect our oppenents, regardless of the teams records going north to play at neyland stadium in front of 102,000 folks is not easy, go south to auburn on the plains, or helleven south carolina. As LSU and Florida have clearly demostrated a conference loss or even two conference losses the SEC will stil whip the so called cream of the big ten. The tough competition on weekly basis makes the championship game a lot easier. Where as OSU is playing the best team they have played all year long, the LSU tigers last year where already battle tested and it showed. I like fierce compitetion, we start the season with 3 teams in top 6. You have what 3 in the top 20. Do you all even play football up north? hehe

"Crazy Huh? Check your "dawg" history and then get back to me ok. "

"2002, Georgia starts off the season 8-0, then CHOKES to Florida, Florida lost 5 games that year"

In the 2002 season we won the damn Sugar Bowl - thats like saying going to the Rose Bowl and winning was a really *hity season
Sugar Bowl - we beat Florida State

"2003, 3 losses, 2 to LSU and one to Florida"
Good thing we lost those games to LSU becasue we whipped the Big 10 runner up Purdue.

"2004, start 4 -0, CHOKE to Tennessee, then lose again to Auburn, finish with 2 losses. Typical Georgia Style"
Typical Choke season by a SEC team we finish up the year beating the Big 10 runner up agian - Wisconsin

2005, start 7-0, then CHOKE two in a row to Florida and Auburn and get punched in the face in a bowl vs West Virginia.
We lost to a very good WV team - Unlike the Big 10 the Big East can win a bowl game vs UGA

2006, start 5-0, hype starts again, about Georgia and then, CHOKE at Tennessee, and then...Vandy? finish 9-4, typical Georgia. typical 9-4 season with a true freshman starting at QB, new offensive line. I take it anyday of the week. Even we have to reload on an occasion
We lost to Cutler at vandy. hey LSU lost to kentucky last year and still whipped OSU.
Although we bounce back and finish strong with a WIN vs Vatech in the bowl game.

2007, lose to South Carolina, and then get kicked in the throat by...Tennessee again! then have a joke bowl against Hawaii.
Hey we do not get a free pass to the BSC title game every year like OSU without beating a team in the top 15.

atlsteelers
08-07-2008, 08:54 AM
When i was at UGA we had the worst coach in modern day history in Ray Goff - we stunk - but guess what we still beat Ohio State 21 to 14 in the Florida Citrus Bowl in 93 but i guess it was an away game for you guys.

Thanks for keeping things entertaining this morning! I respect the Big 10, but is fun to talk smack!

atlsteelers
08-07-2008, 09:06 AM

Becauses its just too easy! kinda of like winning to title game....

revefsreleets
08-07-2008, 09:10 AM
He who doth protest too much...

Over/under on the Buldogs choke week? I'm going week 3 (SC) or week 4 (ASU)...

atlsteelers
08-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I am not doubting that we can lose a game - we can still win the SEC East (and BCS) as long as we do not lose to Florida. My point is there is a big difference between a loss and a choke job.

revefsreleets
08-07-2008, 10:02 AM
SC or ASU is a choke job. Losing to LSU or Florida is acceptable.

Did OSU, in your opinion, choke againt LSU last year?

atlsteelers
08-07-2008, 11:42 AM
I like to say that OSU choked agianst both Flordia and LSU but in truth when the two top teams get together to play and one walks away with a loss its not really a choke a job. I do think that they came out real tight agianst florida even with that quick td. i honestly think that OSU and USC have a much easier path to the a BSC game but at the same time it can put them at a disadavange because other than playing each other they do not get to compete agianst big time teams at that level 3 to 4 times a year like the SEC champ does.

As far as UGA and south carolina goes. its a rivalry game. its almost always the first SEC game for each school. I wish we could move that game back on the schedule because SC has the top talent to compete with any other SEC school but they lack depth. so we get to play them when they are healthy every year, but as the season wears on they always lose a big time playmaker or two and end up stinking.

Dino 6 Rings
08-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Geogia is a choker, and that's the bottom line.

revefsreleets
08-07-2008, 03:59 PM
I hate to tell you, but OSU has a tough road against them this year, as tough as any SEC team. How so? They play #2 in week 3, #12 in week 6, #22 in week 9, #19 in week 12 and #24 in week 13. That's 5 top 25 teams in 13 games. 3 of those games are on the road (USC, Illinois and Wisky, and [Camp Randall is an AWFUL place to play]).

Of course, that's fluid and can and will change, but right now that schedule looks plenty brutal to me.

atlsteelers
08-08-2008, 08:32 AM
I am not sure illinois was not a flash in the pan, they got steam rolled by USC. but we will see, i like zook, did he not work with the steelers special team years ago?

I am not saying the OSU schedule is a walk in the park but you only play 3 top 20 teams.

xfl2001fan
08-08-2008, 08:45 AM
I am not sure illinois was not a flash in the pan, they got steam rolled by USC. but we will see, i like zook, did he not work with the steelers special team years ago?

I am not saying the OSU schedule is a walk in the park but you only play 3 top 20 teams.

In the past, Zook has proven to be a great recruiter, but not such a great coach. That's why he never really became a big name coach. The talent at Illinois is getting to be really good, but what's their execution going to look like?

5 out of the top 25 and after 4 weeks, the schedule will have completely changed (as far as rankings are concerned.) That's nice of you to exclude the complete Top 25 so that your numbers look better. I am pretty sure that every poll in college football goes with a Top 25 format...you should consider joining the rest of the nation and stick with that format.

Right now, an SEC team losing to another SEC isn't a bad thing in the eyes of the media. It's kind of a free pass for the SEC. Sure they lost to a 6-loss team, but it's a 6-loss SEC team, so they're tougher than their record.

Where's the sarcasm smiley at?

revefsreleets
08-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Show me an SEC team with a tougher schedule based on what we have to work with now (strictly preseason rankings). I'm looking for 5 or more top 25 opponents, with 3 of them on the road.

paw-n-maul-u
08-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Hear any love for the hokies?

This year is a pretty bum year, can't even see clemson till the ACC championship (which we should easily get too). Tyrod Taylor is gonna be awesome

Godfather
08-11-2008, 12:59 PM

That wasn't done intentionally. We originally had a trip to Arizona State on the schedule as the back half of a home and home series. But we had to move the 2005 game to Tempe because of Katrina and switch the 2008 Tempe game to Baton Rouge. ASU backed out because they didn't want back to back games against SEC teams. We had to grab whatever was available to fill the empty slot on the schedule.

atlsteelers
08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Alright steelersfever spelled backwards, its easy to show you a tougher schedule 5 or more oppenents in the top 25..

let see what i can do with the UGA schedule based upon the most recent coaches poll..

we play at Arizona state (16) get tennesee(18) at LSU (3), Florida (5) in the state of florida (since you consider bowl games on a "neutral site as road games I am counting this a road game), and we play at Auburn (11). The top 2 vote getters looking outside of poll are Alabama (we play them at home) and south carolina (on the road).

So there it is 5 games vs top 25 teams, with ASU, LSU, Florida, and Auburn on the ROAD.

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2008, 04:36 PM
And how many of those games will Georgia Lose? I say at least 2. maybe 3.

Why? Cause they are a CHOKE!

That's why!

Dino 6 Rings
08-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Lets focus people on the SECs out of conference Schedule shall we. For the 08 season the SEC's BCS Opponents.

Alabama plays Clemson. That's one.
Arkansas plays Texas. That's one.
Auburn plays West Virginia. That's one.
Florida plays Miami and Florida State. That's two.
Georgia plays Arizona State and Georgia Tech. That's two.
Kentucky plays Louisville. That's one.
LSU Plays Zero, that's ZERO.
Ole Miss plays Wake Forest. That's one.
Miss State plays Georgia Tech. That's one.
South Carolina plays NC State and Clemson, That's two.
Tennessee plays UCLA, That's one.
Vandy plays Wake Forest. That's one.

That's their BSC Schools out of Conference Schedule. Now, keeping this thread alive, each week, we will see how "dominating" the SEC is in each of those games. Auburn at West Virginia has my attention. As does the Early season Clemson vs Alabama game.

But for the Defending 2 loss National Champions to not have a single BCS team on their OCS, that's just pathetic. Pathetic says me.

lilyoder6
08-11-2008, 06:23 PM
sec rly doesn't play that many good teams outside of conf which is retarded.. give them competition..

CrimsonTideSteelersFan
08-11-2008, 09:13 PM
That wasn't done intentionally. We originally had a trip to Arizona State on the schedule as the back half of a home and home series. But we had to move the 2005 game to Tempe because of Katrina and switch the 2008 Tempe game to Baton Rouge. ASU backed out because they didn't want back to back games against SEC teams. We had to grab whatever was available to fill the empty slot on the schedule.

Troy's a really good program. Don't forget that Troy had LSU beat in 2004 only to lose in the final two minutes by a score of 24-20. I was at that game at Tiger Stadium and I'll be at this year's game as well. I work at Troy University and know how good those guys are. They are always a tough out and are one of those teams that can beat you if you don't bring your A-Game. They also consistently place players in the first couple of rounds of the NFL draft (Osi Umenyiora; DeMarcus Ware; Leodis McKelvin).

revefsreleets
08-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Well, thanks to Georgia scheduling a road game outside the south with a decent team, that's a schedule that passes muster.

atlsteelers
08-12-2008, 08:04 AM
We play at Colorado next season too. We scheduled that game when they were a good team. i do not like those games but we got them.
I am very dissapointed that left tackle Trinton Sturdivant tore his knee up a practice yesterday. the kid was a monster starting and dominating every game as a true freshman at left tackle last season. It looks like he is done for the year.

revefsreleets
08-12-2008, 09:17 AM
But with teams like OSU and Georgia, the guy waiting in the wings may actually be BETTER. Look at MLB progression for the Buckeyes. Who was going to replace Matt Wilhelm at MLB from the '02 NC team? The heir apparent was Mike D'Andrea (and I still think he would have been a monster had he stayed healthy), and he got injured, which opened up things for AJ Hawk, who went on to win the Butkus.

But how were they ever going to top that?

Thanks, Minnesota, for delivering Little Animal Laurinaitis.

These teams don't rebuild, they reload, and sometimes the new ammo packs an even bigger whallop.

Dino 6 Rings
09-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Georgia is a Historic Choke.

Look at their history. Whenever they start the season ranked high, in the top 10, they lose a game and drop in the polls. Go look up their history for the last 10 or so seasons and prove me wrong. You can't. They choke historically.

For the Record

Georgia ia a CHOKE!

lilyoder6
09-28-2008, 02:23 PM
i don't think that GEO choked this game away.. it does seem that the tide is back and is a reckon to be forced with

Dino 6 Rings
09-28-2008, 06:57 PM
i don't think that GEO choked this game away.. it does seem that the tide is back and is a reckon to be forced with

so maybe the Elephants will actually win an Iron Bowl this year? nope, not likely.

lilyoder6
09-28-2008, 08:38 PM
they are playing real good football right now.. can't deny that