PDA

View Full Version : Is Obama Too Fit To Be President?

Atlanta Dan
08-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Following up on its recent analysis of the new Batman movie as "a paean of praise to the fortitude and moral courage that has been shown by George W. Bush" http://online.wsj.com/article_print/...343482821.html, The Wall Street Journal provides further poltical insights with today's article which observes yet another reason why Obama is "not like us" is because he is not a a fat tub of lard

in a nation in which 66% of the voting-age population is overweight and 32% is obese, could Sen. Obama's skinniness be a liability? Despite his visits to waffle houses, ice-cream parlors and greasy-spoon diners around the country, his slim physique just might have some Americans wondering whether he is truly like them....

"He's too new ... and he needs to put some meat on his bones," says Diana Koenig, 42, a housewife in Corpus Christi, Texas, who says she voted for Sen. Hillary Clinton in the Democratic primary.

"I won't vote for any beanpole guy," another Clinton supporter wrote last week on a Yahoo politics message board.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121755336096303089.html?mod=hpp_us_inside_today

I knew Murdoch wanted to change the corporate culture of the WSJ, but I was unaware his goal was to bring the paper in line with the reporting standards of The Onion

Big7BenHOF
08-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Obama's a Steelers fan.

:tt02::tt02::tt02:

tony hipchest
08-01-2008, 01:51 PM
"I won't vote for any beanpole guy," another Clinton supporter wrote last week on a Yahoo politics message board.

As a Polish New Mexican American, i am offended. :wink:

Plus, Obama's black, not a beanpole.

:sofunny:

fansince'76
08-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Obama's a Steelers fan.

:tt02::tt02::tt02:

So's Snoop Dogg, and I wouldn't vote for him to be a dog catcher.

Preacher
08-01-2008, 03:05 PM
This is tantamount to the "Something is wrong with Bush, he is too healthy" type reporting a few months ago.

And yet... NO ONE wants to admit that the American press is WAY out of control.

xfl2001fan
08-01-2008, 03:21 PM
And yet... NO ONE wants to admit that the American press is WAY out of control.

Wrong. Dead wrong.

We just can't get the press to release a statement that indicates they are way out of control. LOL

*******ADDITION*******

So, because a good portion of america is overweight and a large portion is obese, we should bring in a guy who is fat? I tend to want leaders that I can look up to. If I don't think that the people in position above me are worthy examples, I tend to get bad evaluations. LOL

TroysBadDawg
08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
As a Polish New Mexican American, i am offended.

I am just an American, sorry about you being a Polish New Mexican American.

The term "hyphenated" was in slang use by 1893, and was common as a derogatory term by 1904. During World War I the issue arose of the primary political loyalty of ethnic groups with close ties to Europe, especially German Americans and also Irish Americans. Former President Theodore Roosevelt in speaking to the NY Chapter of the Knights of Columbus at Carnegie Hall on Colubmus day 1915, asserted that,[3]

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. ... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic. ... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else."

President Woodrow Wilson regarded "hyphenated Americans" with suspicion, saying, "Any man who carries a hyphen about with him carries a dagger that he is ready to plunge into the vitals of this Republic whenever he gets ready."[4]

quotation link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphenated_American#Hyphenated-American_identities)

Preacher
08-01-2008, 08:50 PM
I am just an American, sorry about you being a Polish New Mexican American.

quotation link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphenated_American#Hyphenated-American_identities)

Thus...

my continued campaign for a Sarcasm smiley.

revefsreleets
08-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm reading "The Age of American Unreason" by Susan Jacoby, and it's a brilliant slaughtering of the literal dumbing down of America...and the press is certainly highly culpable.

I'm going to go on a HUGE rant about this book (later, and in it's own thread), because it DESTROYS the press, pop culture, television, the internet, fundamentalist Christianity, etc, etc...It's a great clearinghouse of information and facts about how bassackwards this country really is, and also asks the most important question: How do we get back on track?

Anyway, ONLY in the US could retarded arguments like "Is Obama too fit" be asserted and actually taken seriously. Sure, Japan has their weird TV shows, and England is tabloid central, but the people, in general, take it all with a grain of salt. They have real educational systems, and their citizens aren't idiots. Something like 40% of Americans actually believe that humans and dinosaurs coexisted. No wonder we are so screwed up!

PisnNapalm
08-02-2008, 02:10 PM
As a Polish New Mexican American, i am offended. :wink:

Plus, Obama's black, not a beanpole.

:sofunny:

Obama is not black. He is an Arab-American.

Atlanta Dan
08-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Obama is not black. He is an Arab-American.

As Preacher noted, sometimes a sarcasm smiley might be helpful - should one have gone in here? Just wondering