PDA

View Full Version : If we still had Joey Porter and Clark Haggans...

Edman
08-01-2008, 03:41 PM
..The way they are now (and not in '05), would you still be confident in the Steelers' D? You know, the leading "mouth" that people said the Steelers would desperately miss last year?

STEELtownHAVOX
08-01-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm just as confident with Woodley/Harrison as with Porter/Haggans. Haggans was an above average role player where as Porter was Probowl materiel. Now Harrison has a probowl under is belt already and Woodley is a sophomore with much much potential where he should be better than Haggans. Sum it up, I like these guys better. Though Porter was ("is") one of my favorite Steelers all time.

BlastFurnace
08-01-2008, 04:20 PM
..The way they are now (and not in '05), would you still be confident in the Steelers' D? You know, the leading "mouth" that people said the Steelers would desperately miss last year?

After what I saw last year, I am not confident in the Steelers D...with Porter/Haggans or with Woodley/Harrison.

The defense needs to prove it can stop the run and not allow late half or game drives that lose them the game. Right now, they are a average to below average defense.

Preacher
08-01-2008, 04:58 PM
and here comes the negativity.

The QUESTION is driving at the point... who are you more confident in RIGHT NOW... the Porter/Haggans LB corp (if they were still together THIS year) or the Woodley/Harrison corp.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2008, 05:22 PM
I think Harrison and Woodley both have a shot at double digit sacks this year...I'm confident in this combo......Plus really excited to see Woodley's growth as a player...

SteelMember
08-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Well...

Porter/Haggans = 1 Superbowl Victory :tt03:

Harrison/Woodley = 1 Playoff loss :banging:

The latter is very talented with a great upside, but I'll take the trophy!

steelreserve
08-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Well...

I was about to say something like that, but you pretty much summed it up perfectly. Porter and Haggans were solid enough that we won the Super Bowl, so it's hard to be more confident in anyone than that.

BlastFurnace
08-01-2008, 06:23 PM
and here comes the negativity.

The QUESTION is driving at the point... who are you more confident in RIGHT NOW... the Porter/Haggans LB corp (if they were still together THIS year) or the Woodley/Harrison corp.

If I had to make a choice between the two, it would be the younger group of Harrison and Woodley.

Our defense is average at best, with either set of linebackers...so sorry...I don't have a lot of confidence in either group if you narrow it down to 2005 or this season.

Preacher
08-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Well...

That's not the quesiton...

Does Porter and Haggans.. AS THEY ARE NOW... have more talent and ability than Harrison and Woodley?

This has nothing to do with past success... it has everything to do with ability THIS YEAR.
Woodley and TIMMONS, not to mention Harrison seem ALL to be laying it on the line this year in camp. surpassing anything I expected of Haggans. Porter last year had very little impact, though that may have been due to the knee surgery.

No, I think that we have the right people for this year and am glad that we don't have the current Porter and Haggans.

43Hitman
08-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Right now we are better with Woodley/Harrison than we would be with Porter/Haggans.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-01-2008, 06:32 PM
I would take the Harrison/Woodley combo right now.

Hell, Porter's last year with us was rather crappy. He had his big games against the worst teams and totally dissapeared in the games against good teams.

Haggans proved last year that he wasn't at starter level anymore. If he was, he probally would have been resigned.

millwalldavey
08-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I won't dwell. I'm confident in the two coming back this year!

steeltheone
08-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Without question Harrison Woodley

xfl2001fan
08-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Seems pretty obvious, Harrison Woodley. Even when you consider what the other guys brought to the table, you're still only looking at a short term investment.

Steelman16
08-01-2008, 09:57 PM
There's no way that Porter & Haggans could equal Harrison & Woodley right now.

SteelersMongol
08-01-2008, 10:51 PM
I like Porter. It would've been so cool if we had Porter+Harrison+Woodley.

Galax Steeler
08-02-2008, 05:05 AM
I would have to take Harrison and Woodley.

Aussie_steeler
08-02-2008, 05:24 AM
Woodley and Harrison would get to the QB more IMO. Coverage wise I think they also would hold their own.

Very happy with were we are as far as starting Line backers (outside and inside)

stlrtruck
08-02-2008, 10:16 AM
I'd go with Harrison/Woodley with the way they are right now. Porter has become one demisional and Haggans, we'll I feel he can still play but having 1 out of 2 being productive isn't nearly as valuable has having both being productive.

Welcome To Smashmouth
08-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Joey Porter -- Lawrence Timmons -- James Farrior -- James Harrison

Woodley -- Hampton -- Smith

Woodley could have foregone the transition from DE to LB and stay at DE to replace Keisel, and we keep our locker-room leader in Porter (we sure could use him now with bettis gone)

slashsteel
08-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Aaron Smiths return will solidify the problems we saw late in the year with the run D.

fansince'76
08-02-2008, 11:26 PM
Joey Porter -- Lawrence Timmons -- James Farrior -- James Harrison

Woodley -- Hampton -- Smith

Woodley could have foregone the transition from DE to LB and stay at DE to replace Keisel, and we keep our locker-room leader in Porter (we sure could use him now with bettis gone)

A 6'2", 265-lb. DE in the 3-4? He'd get steamrolled on pretty much every running play. I also don't think we miss Porter all that much, especially for what Miami's paying him. $32 mil with $20 mil in guaranteed money is a bit steep for a guy that averages around 2 tackles and an assist per game anymore.

SCSTILLER
08-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Would have to go with Harrison/Woodley. Toward the end (I know I will make enemies for this comment) Porter was all bark and no bite. Even in the AFC playoff game against Indy the only way he could get to the QB was by scheme blitzing. Basically a 2 against 1 with either the tackle or the RB having to choose who to block. Woodley is going to turn some heads this year!

Havik
08-03-2008, 11:33 AM
I would take Harrison/Woodley. Woodley had a total of 6 sacks with very limited playing time. He made so many plays in the playoff game against Jacksonville. James Harrison made the Pro Bowl and had 8.5 sacks. Porter only had 7 sacks in 2006, yes he got hurt and had to miss a couple games but you could tell at that point he was past his prime. Haggans is just average, he played well at the start of 2007 but disappeared toward the end of the season. I think we may have the best 3-4 OLB pair if Woodley plays as well as a starter as he did last year.

LVSteelersfan
08-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Haggans was pathetic in that playoff game. That little bowling ball RB blew by him on at least two occasions like he wasn't even there. Good riddance. It was time for Porter to go as well. I don't think he was as good as everyone keeps saying he was. He got blown out of the play every time if there was a blocker in front on a running play. The sacks are ok, but if there was a blocker on a blitz, Porter wasn't strong enough to get around them. Sorry, but this current corps of backers has a chance to be BEASTLY in comparison to those two. I think Foote is a weak link as well as he is not fast enough to keep up with anyone who breaks into the secondary. Lets hope Timmons pans out.

Kaeg
08-03-2008, 12:11 PM
I for one am VERY excited for this year's potential of Harrison/Woodley. Throw in Timmons and I think we have one hell of an under rated corps that is going to be special this year. I always loved Porter. I miss his chatter, but this is now and I think we are better off in the now with these guys.

ricksteelers55
08-03-2008, 05:07 PM
like our good friend peezy would say I GUARANTEE that in a couple of years we will have one of the top 3 best pass rushing D in the league.

Woodley is going to be our best pass rusher I swear
Timmons will emerge and be one solid player too
Davis is the next peezy and will be a good one too and for now we still have silverback who's going to put up good numbers again this year.

for those of you who like to bash our D,let me remind you that last year we still finished 1st in D even though we met teams like Patriots,Bengals(twice)Browns(twice) and Jaguars that obviously have all a lot of good offensive weapons.

So pleassssse stop bashing our D,yeah we had tough times last year stopping the run but let me remind you that we only had tough times once big Aaron got injured.

now this year will be the real test we will see if the D-Line is healthy what this D really worth.

and finally there's no way i could take Porter-Haggans instead of Woodley-Harrison even though Porter was my favorite player and i'm not a huuuge fan of james i still think he's a valuable player to this football organisation and until Davis is ready to step up as a starter he's going to be one of the leader of this D corps.

enjoy the rest of the camp

Steelers all the way

meelanova
08-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Well...

Give them time. Harrison/Woodley havent even begun yet.