PDA

View Full Version : Tough Loss

DuceOnTheLoose
11-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Well today was a heartbreaker. I got a chance to watch the game in the final 6 minutes of regulation time. Say here what the Steelers could have done better to win. I think they should have blocked better I mean cmon 7 sacks in a game? Way too many...

SteelersFever
11-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Not showed up.

AvoidLLoyd95
11-20-2005, 05:25 PM
I agree. Everyone is crucifying Maddox for the loss, but the O-Line needs to at least block some. I think they got used to Ben being able to scramble and not the immobile Maddox back there. He didn't play terrible today. He had no time to throw it. I will say though, we need Ben back NOW!

Suitanim
11-20-2005, 05:49 PM
Tres Essex played okay, but he was in his first game. The O-line did an okay job considering that Baltimore overloaded the line almost every single play, and why not? It helps them against the run, and Maddox was just awful.

The defining play of the game for me was the 4th and 1 when the Steelers called the pass play and Tommy missed not just one, but TWO WIDE OPEN receivers and instead, through indecision, held the ball and took a sack.

If you have a QB who can't hit wide open receivers on a play that is designed to have two wide open receivers by surprise, you will not win your football game. It's almost like Tommy was surprised the receivers were open. That's not a good sign.

Ambridge
11-20-2005, 06:12 PM
I was hoping Cowher would have put Randle El in at QB after half time.

There was probably a better chance of hitting the Mega-Million Lotto than that happening.

Prosdo
11-20-2005, 06:14 PM
The O-line did play bad, but when Tommy did get a chance to throw he made those same decisions that killed us against Jacksonville. I will admit he didn't play as bad as Jacksonville, but he still needs to go.

Livinginthe past
11-20-2005, 07:07 PM
I agree that Tommy Maddox is certainly not starter quality in the NFL - I guess that is why he is back up.

How many other teams have decent options as their no.2 QB?

The answer is probably not many at all - look at the talent that is STARTING for the following teams-

Bears
Ravens
Bills
Dolphins
Cleveland

The QB's for these teams are barely back-up quality - but all these teams have managed to eek out some wins this year becasue they have been able to use their other talents to counter-act poor QB play.

For the last 4/5 weeks the Steelers have been walking a tightrope - and this week they fell off.

Instead of laying it all on Tommy maybe you should be looking at other areas of concern.

O-Line
D-Line
Opposition 3rd down and long conversions
Your own running game
Plodding, predictable coaching

Unless Staley comes back the Steelers running game is looking a little over-rated - Fast Willie is not a starter yet and Bettis looks out of gas.

As I said in the game thread - this win may well be a blessing in disguise and may lift the Steelers out of the rut they have fallen into.

I will be cheering you guys on against the Colts - even if that may be a bad thing for the Pats in the long run!

Cheers

NM

Prosdo
11-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Good post LITP. O-line definitely needs to step it up no doubt there. 3rd down defense seems like our worst thing. At times it seems like we just can't stop them. Running game wasn't impressive today, but our O-line wasn't as well. I think next year our running game will need a good look at with Bettis probably retiring and Staley being injury prone.

Suitanim
11-20-2005, 07:16 PM
I agree that Tommy Maddox is certainly not starter quality in the NFL - I guess that is why he is back up.

How many other teams have decent options as their no.2 QB?

The answer is probably not many at all - look at the talent that is STARTING for the following teams-

Bears
Ravens
Bills
Dolphins
Cleveland

The QB's for these teams are barely back-up quality - but all these teams have managed to eek out some wins this year becasue they have been able to use their other talents to counter-act poor QB play.

For the last 4/5 weeks the Steelers have been walking a tightrope - and this week they fell off.

Instead of laying it all on Tommy maybe you should be looking at other areas of concern.

O-Line
D-Line
Opposition 3rd down and long conversions
Your own running game
Plodding, predictable coaching

Unless Staley comes back the Steelers running game is looking a little over-rated - Fast Willie is not a starter yet and Bettis looks out of gas.

As I said in the game thread - this win may well be a blessing in disguise and may lift the Steelers out of the rut they have fallen into.

I will be cheering you guys on against the Colts - even if that may be a bad thing for the Pats in the long run!

Cheers

NM

Pretty clear you didn't watch the game. Oline played okay, but Tommy held the ball too long. Dline will never be a problem, especially when they are making tackles. You may want to check the game stats before you make uncharacteristically wrong comments on this one (3rd and long make sure you remove the 2 phantom penalties)

3rd down conversions were down, especially when you eliminate the officiated oriented ones. As for the coaching, it was anything but plodding or predictable.

Sorry, Ian...your old standby's dont work anymore.

Livinginthe past
11-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Pretty clear you didn't watch the game. Oline played okay, but Tommy held the ball too long. Dline will never be a problem, especially when they are making tackles. You may want to check the game stats before you make uncharacteristically wrong comments on this one (3rd and long make sure you remove the 2 phantom penalties)

3rd down conversions were down, especially when you eliminate the officiated oriented ones. As for the coaching, it was anything but plodding or predictable.

Sorry, Ian...your old standby's dont work anymore.

You are quite correct I didnt see the full Pittsburgh game today.

I dont see how the D-line can be playing well with all those 3rd and longs getting completed (over the seasons length) at potentially crucial times.

My comments were based on the performance of the team over the majority of the season - they have struggled to put poor teams away with any degree of confidence.

After the first 3 games Willie Parker has been MIA - which is to be expected - he is still learning the game but no-one else has consistently run the ball hard.

The O-Line has not been great - the Pats D-line looked like world beaters against them - it was only Bens excellent mobility that saved HIM from 7 sacks in that game.

The constant passing became just as predictable as the constant running of previous games - Cowher quite obviously decided to open up the pass (the unexpected) early and often - but when it was clearly failing and the line were unable to protect Maddox - he refused to change tack.

Regardless of how '3rd down conversions may be down' maybe we should look at the numbers in the context of the paucity of the oppositions offense - the Steelers have played some terrible offenses this year.

Cheers

NM

tony hipchest
11-20-2005, 07:25 PM
steelers running game over rated? steelers have been a top running team for 30+ years! no one has said theyre the best this year and last year they were (if youre counting rb's and not a running qb)

Suitanim
11-20-2005, 07:33 PM
You are quite correct I didnt see the full Pittsburgh game today.

I dont see how the D-line can be playing well with all those 3rd and longs getting completed (over the seasons length) at potentially crucial times.

My comments were based on the performance of the team over the majority of the season - they have struggled to put poor teams away with any degree of confidence.

After the first 3 games Willie Parker has been MIA - which is to be expected - he is still learning the game but no-one else has consistently run the ball hard.

The O-Line has not been great - the Pats D-line looked like world beaters against them - it was only Bens excellent mobility that saved HIM from 7 sacks in that game.

The constant passing became just as predictable as the constant running of previous games - Cowher quite obviously decided to open up the pass (the unexpected) early and often - but when it was clearly failing and the line were unable to protect Maddox - he refused to change tack.

Regardless of how '3rd down conversions may be down' maybe we should look at the numbers in the context of the paucity of the oppositions offense - the Steelers have played some terrible offenses this year.

Cheers

NM

Really...I should just walk away, but I can't.

Tommy is done and he lost this game just like he lost the Jacksonville game. We have 2 losses directly attributed to Maddox.

Ben has two losses in his entire career. Both are NE. I'd love to see Ben win a Super Bowl while laying waste to NE, Indy, and the Eagles..

Prosdo
11-20-2005, 07:41 PM
This performance may not have been as bad, but still was mostly on him. He is making horrible pass choices and seems almost nervous back there.

rowedf
11-20-2005, 10:23 PM
Tommy played bad....period. He held the ball too long, made bad reads, made bad throws. Yes he didn't have a ton of time, but also didn't read his hot routes.....just bad play.

The 3rd down D played well today. LITP, I'm suprised you'd comment on that based on today's game, if you read the stats, it might have been one of their best games this season based on 3rd down stats.

Willy, I thought ran well.....when given the chance.

The O Line, IMO, takes the most blame here. They played awful, as a group. I'm not singling out Essex or Starks because we had multiple breakdowns indside with Faneca, Hartings, and Simmons...as a group, they played awful.

That being said....WHY didn't Cowher do something to negate that? El can avoid a rush.....Ben can avoid a rush.....gesh...why not even TRY something like that.

This was one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched as a Steeler fan. To me, it was so noticeable what needed to be done...either negate their rush by holding more in, or get a freaking QB that can escape the pressure (which we had options)....sadly, we so neither today.

Prosdo
11-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Maddox seemed like he froze back there when he got a lot of pressure. I don't know I guess maybe I'm so use to Ben escaping it.

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-20-2005, 10:29 PM
We need to stay healthy and make a long run from here on out. This is ridiculous how we lose to these sorry ass teams. Granted we are playing not at full strength but come on. 15-1 last year with injuries?

Prosdo
11-20-2005, 10:31 PM
We need to stay healthy and make a long run from here on out. This is ridiculous how we lose to these sorry ass teams. Granted we are playing not at full strength but come on. 15-1 last year with injuries?

I agree. We could have won this game and we actually had a good chance, but too many mistakes prevented that.

TasmanianTroy271
11-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Trai Essex did OK today, but by no means did he do well. Both of the passes that were deflected and floated like a dead duck were from Tommy's blind side... Trai's side...

I don't see why people get on our D-Line, It's a 3-4 defense, the LB are supposed to make the plays, and each member of our DL came away with a sack today. We need Farrior back, Kriewaldt's no starter, and we need to start subbing in Harrison for Porter and Haggans cause he's the future of the Steeler's pass rush.

rowedf
11-20-2005, 10:46 PM
This is ridiculous how we lose to these sorry ass teams.

Hey, don't forget, the Ravens were picked by many people to be division contendors. They don't have an awful team. They have a few injuries (Lewis and Reed) but still have a very stout defense, so give them a little bit of respect for playing their tails off against us!

rowedf
11-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Trai Essex did OK today, but by no means did he do well. Both of the passes that were deflected and floated like a dead duck were from Tommy's blind side... Trai's side...

I don't see why people get on our D-Line, It's a 3-4 defense, the LB are supposed to make the plays, and each member of our DL came away with a sack today. We need Farrior back, Kriewaldt's no starter, and we need to start subbing in Harrison for Porter and Haggans cause he's the future of the Steeler's pass rush.

Dude, are you kidding me.....Kreidwalt played AWESOME today!!!! I love big Jim, but I don't see him making any difference in today's game, Clint played a helluva game!

Harrion did sub in for Porter, about every 3rd play actually. But, once he got that PF called on for roughing the passer, he didn't see much PT, which I thought was a really bad read on the steeler coaching staff. Although I thought Porter played a fairly good game (given his history with Ogden).

Suitanim
11-21-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't know, I was drunk and pissed off last night. Now that I have had some time to think about it, I just want to forget about that awful game and move onto beating Indy next Monday night...it's the only way to get this bad taste of losing out of our mouths.