PDA

View Full Version : Jim Brown Suing EA, Sony

fansince'76
08-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Football great Jim Brown suing EA, Sony

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/ww/news/2008/08/01/jim-brown.jpg

Hall of Famer is mad about Madden.

By Ben Silverman

After years of barging over husky defenders on the gridiron, ex-Cleveland Browns running back Jim Brown is attempting to tackle two serious video game heavyweights in court.

According to Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a3DZgtoyhp7M), Brown has filed suit against Sony Computer Entertainment America and Electronic Arts over using his likeness in the popular Madden football series. He seeks a court order preventing either company from continuing to use his likeness in the franchise as well as damages stemming from trademark violation.

At issue is the starting running back on Madden's "All Browns Team." The character is African-American and bears the same jersey number Brown made famous -- number 32. In the suit, Brown claims that he "never signed away any rights that would allow his likeness to be used."

He also mentions that unlike today's players, he was not given the option to negotiate terms during his NFL heyday.

"The NFL had league wide policy that players shall have no lawyers or agents when negotiating compensation," he said in the complaint. "Video games were not invented yet and no union to obtain rights from existed.''

EA and Sony have yet to comment on the matter.

Brown Suing EA, Sony (http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/football-great-jim-brown-suing-ea-sony/1234058)

CantStop85
08-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Stay classy, Jim.

xfl2001fan
08-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Seriously? It's not like people buy the games to play as Jim Brown for the All-Time Browns team. He's not exactly missing out on any royalties here is he?

ShutDown24
08-02-2008, 08:51 PM
The fact is, if your likeness is in the game, and you're not in the NFLPA... You should get paid individually by EA or any other game publisher which includes you. While it seems a little sketchy, I don't blame him for a going after money that he could potentially receive.

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-02-2008, 10:08 PM
The fact is, if your likeness is in the game, and you're not in the NFLPA... You should get paid individually by EA or any other game publisher which includes you. While it seems a little sketchy, I don't blame him for a going after money that he could potentially receive.

I play a lot of Madden (hey I'm 22, love football, and my friends are too lazy to actually play), I'm fine with anyone going after EA. Hopefully it'll start prompting them to make a decent game so I don't feel bad about dropping $60 a year on a glitchy, buggy, crappy game that has exclusivity rights.

Here's one to you Jim :drink:

Dodt
08-02-2008, 10:52 PM
man i feel weird cheering for a brown. i really miss 2k football.

rbryan
08-03-2008, 12:13 AM
He's gotta make some coin to take care of whoever is knitting all those red and green skulleys for him.

I hope he hasn't been wearing the same one all these years

Godfather
08-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a frivolous complaint to me. Unless #32's face is his face, it's hard to argue that they're using his likeness. If they made him #31 or #33, would it be that different?? No. Everyone would still know he was the best Cleveland RB.

As long as they didn't use his name or face, they should be in the clear.

CantStop85
08-03-2008, 11:16 AM

If this were true, then NCAA video games would be illegal. The players in NCAA games are set up just like the players on the all-time teams in Madden. EA is using the "likeness" of these players; by this logic they should be compensated as well...but that's against NCAA rules.

Hammer Of The GODS
08-03-2008, 01:09 PM
This will get tossed out.

EA isn't stupid enough NOT to investigate the liabilities involved in using numbers and likenesses.

It's obvious that Brown is in need of some easy money.

EA will throw him a bone (pun intended) because they are getting some good PR because of this. Not to mention they don't want the "reverend" and his rainbow coalition down there protesting!