PDA

View Full Version : Antwaan Randle El

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum, but does anyone know the specifics on why Antwaan signed with the Redskins? Did we just not offer the funny money or was he unhappy or...? I can't remember for the life of me what exactly happened there (was going through a nasty breakup and work injury in March of '06, I know I know no excuse! :tt02:), and for some reason it's been in my head all day today.

We may not be known for having constantly flashy pass offenses, but it must be a heaven send to get drafted by the Steelers as a wideout. Burress, Holmes, and Randle El are legitimate stars...let's hope Sweed joins them! :tt:

fansince'76
08-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Dan Snyder offered him a boatload of money in FA, far more than he was worth, IMO. I held no ill will over the deal, though, and I still don't - ARE would have been an out-and-out FOOL to have turned Snyder's offer down. ARE cashed in and cashed in in a very big way on a couple of big kick returns and a very memorable play in SB XL, bottom line.

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-02-2008, 10:13 PM
Dan Snyder offered him a boatload of money in FA, far more than he was worth, IMO. I held no ill will over the deal, though, and I still don't - ARE would have been an out-and-out FOOL to have turned Snyder's offer down. ARE cashed in and cashed in in a very big way on a couple of big kick returns and a very memorable play in SB XL, bottom line.

Gotcha. I was hoping there was no ill will a la Burress. I remember Gibbs and the Redskins scrambling to snatch up receivers in early '06, but I never did hear exactly if Randle El didn't wanna be here or not. I never realized he got $31 million over 7 years to be a #2 and be a mini-slash until I looked at the deal closer. Glad to know there was no animosity, at least.

steelreserve
08-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Dan Snyder offered him a boatload of money in FA, far more than he was worth, IMO.

To follow up on that:

Year Age Tm Pos G GS Rec Yds Y/R TD
2006 27 WAS WR 16 16 32 351 11.0 3
2007 28 WAS WR 15 13 51 728 14.3 1

Add to that a combined total of 3-for-5 passing for 107 yards, and a 7-yard average as a punt returner. So ... yeah, I think paying $4 million a year is just a LITTLE much for that.

On the other hand, like you said, he'd have been a fool to turn it down. That was his big payday, and in Pittsburgh, he was well on his way to becoming the #3 receiver anyway. We'd been actively looking for someone to be a top-notch #2 ever since Burress left, and whether it would be Wilson (whoops) or someone we drafted later (Holmes), it was clear Randle El wasn't going to be that guy.