PDA

View Full Version : Would the Steelers ..................

SteelerFanInATL
08-04-2008, 05:46 AM
Just curious to know how others think about this. Do you think the Steelers would have allowed Brett Farve to return? IMO I don't think so. If you say you're retired then you're retired. Just curious to know

BlastFurnace
08-04-2008, 08:10 AM
The only thing that would have been close for us is if Bradshaw had tried to come back...let's say in 1984 or 1985...considering he was still young enough to play.

Right after Bradshaw retired, we had a pretty weak stable of QB's on our roster in Stoudt, Woodley, and Malone...so I hope the answer would have been an opened arm invitation for Terry to come back. The only thing with the Steelers back then is that Noll and Bradshaw did not have the greatest of relationships and Noll used to use the line "Get on with your life's work" every once in a while in commenting on players who were either no longer welcome or were off the team. He used that phrase with Franco and I believe he said it with Terry as well.

What would have made it really interesting is if Bradshaw had tried to come back in 1984 and we had drafted a young Dan Marino in the 1983 draft. What would the Steelers have done then?

19ward86
08-04-2008, 12:17 PM
In the Bradshaw situation, yes. but if we had a guy like Rogers behind Bradshaw i dont think so. If Ben decided to retire in 3 or so years( i doubt it), i think they would let him come back if all we had was Dixon and Brian St. Pierre or whoever.

HometownGal
08-04-2008, 02:49 PM
If it were Brad, I'd have to say yes, but at a reduced price. If Noll and the Rooneys would have known what worthless shitballs Stoudt and Malone would turn out to be, they may have begged Brad to stay for a couple more seasons. The only thing Stoudt was good for was a great snowball target when he played for the Birmingham Stallions against the Maulers at TRS after he left the Steelers. :chuckle::applaudit:

PisnNapalm
08-04-2008, 03:12 PM
I think you're being a bit hard on Malone... A shitball? come on... He wasn't that bad. He wasn't as good as Bradshaw, but he wasn't a shitball.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-04-2008, 03:17 PM
The Favre situation is so touchy for a few reasons:

1. Ever offseason Favre has to decide to play another season, and he normally waits to make his official desicion a week or two before training camp.

2. Aaron Rodgers has been sitting behind Favre as a firs round pick for three seasons.

3. Favre is a legend and has a record of consecutive games played, which can come to an end if he isn't the starter when the Vikings come to Green Bay.

4. Favre was given a chance to come out of retirment and decided not to, therefore the Packers "moved on" with the Rodgers era.

It was totally depend on who was waiting in the wings at QB. If we had an Aaron Rodgers type player, then the Steelers would probally be reluctant. But if all we had were say Dixon and St. Pierre, then we'd probally welcome our legendary QB back.

Oh, and one reason I think he wants to come back is he doesn't want his last play to be an INT in the NFC Championship Game. If Farve would have won the Super Bowl, this probally wouldn't be an issue because he'd stay retired.

STEELtownHAVOX
08-04-2008, 03:20 PM
if we had tommy gun back there, then no we would have traded him to the ravens. they've always needed a QB.

fansince'76
08-04-2008, 03:32 PM
The situations of Favre and Bradshaw aren't comparable. Brad's elbow on his throwing arm was completely shot - he simply could not do it physically anymore. Favre is still relatively healthy. With Favre, the question is whether he still has the desire to play, not whether he can still muster it physically or not.

HometownGal
08-04-2008, 03:56 PM
I think you're being a bit hard on Malone... A shitball? come on... He wasn't that bad. He wasn't as good as Bradshaw, but he wasn't a shitball.

Sorry, PNP - we'll have to agree to disagree. He was a #1 draft pick in 1980 (chosen by the Steelers), as well as the Senior Bowl MVP that year, and was, imho, a total bust. He also was, again imho, one of the most pompous SOB's who ever was privileged to wear the black and gold.

ricksteelers55
08-04-2008, 04:14 PM
the problem is not that they have Rodgers behind him for me Favre was there before him and even though he said he quits,Rodgers has been injured more in 3 years than Favre in his entire carreer.

The REAL problem is that because they thought that Favre was retired they spent a high draft pick on a QB instead of adressing other needs.

rdsovchen
08-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Sorry, PNP - we'll have to agree to disagree. He was a #1 draft pick in 1980 (chosen by the Steelers), as well as the Senior Bowl MVP that year, and was, imho, a total bust. He also was, again imho, one of the most pompous SOB's who ever was privileged to wear the black and gold.

Why didn't he get a picture of a demonized skeleton holding a sickle?:laughing:

billybob
08-04-2008, 04:46 PM

Wasn't he the first ever "Malone" to lose a game against the Jets.The only team that had up till that time never beaten us?I think we were 6-0 or7-0 until then.Old brad use to change the play himself,and that led to tension with Chuck. Even if the play worked.

steelreserve
08-04-2008, 05:08 PM
What would have made it really interesting is if Bradshaw had tried to come back in 1984 and we had drafted a young Dan Marino in the 1983 draft. What would the Steelers have done then?

I don't know ... won another Super Bowl or two?

BlastFurnace
08-04-2008, 05:37 PM

I have to agree with HTG on this one. Malone was terrible, stunk, dreadful...and any other synonym of these words. Stoudt stunk as well. The only thing he ever hit was whatever he punched in that bar that broke his hand early in his career.

BlastFurnace
08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't know ... won another Super Bowl or two?

Let's see, if we put Dan on some teams, what could he have done:

1984 - I think we would have won the AFC, but the 49'ers that year were extremely strong.

1987 - We had a good defense, terrible Malone lead offense. I think we could have made a Super Bowl trip that year. Cleveland was strong though and would have been tough to get past in the AFC.

1989 - Marino vs. Elway in Denver. Bubby almost beat Elway in the Divisional Round. I think Marino would have. I think this was the year Denver was slaughtered by the 49'ers. This was said to be the 9'ers best team of their dynasty.

1990 - The Steelers would have won the Cody Carlson game at the end of the season vs. Houston with Marino. Who knows after that.

1992 - Cowher's first team, NOD and Bubby took us to 11-5. At the beginning of the Buffalo playoff game, that game was there for us to take. We didn't have the offense to pull it off. We would have with Marino.

1993 - Barely made the playoffs, but I think we win the division easily with Marino leading the team. Do you really think Marino would have lost to Marty in the playoffs at Kansas City! Still had to go through Buffalo to go to the Super Bowl...and then...face one of the best teams I have ever seen since our 70's Steelers...the 1992-3 Cowboys.

1994 - Marino would have saved us from the Alfred Pupuno moment. Again, another strong 49'er team would have been waiting.

1995 - We beat Dallas with Marino. Besides, Marino...with his temper...would have strangled Corey Holliday on the sideline if Corey ran the wrong route on him that cost him a pick and us the game. After that, he would have strangled Yancey Thigpen for dropping that wide open pass that would have set us up nicely in Cowboys territory.

1996 - Marino, while slowing down, would have easily made us a much stronger SB contender than T-zak did.

1997 - Another SB win with Marino against Green Bay. Romanowski doesn't get the chance to call Dan dumb in this game.

1998-9 - We were bad...really bad and free agency had taken it's toll. I don't think Dan would have made much of a difference with this bunch.

I think we would have won 2 Super Bowls with Dan.

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-04-2008, 06:26 PM
the problem is not that they have Rodgers behind him for me Favre was there before him and even though he said he quits,Rodgers has been injured more in 3 years than Favre in his entire carreer.

The REAL problem is that because they thought that Favre was retired they spent a high draft pick on a QB instead of adressing other needs.

This hasn't really been that big of an issue. The Packers have gotten trades out of first round QBs under Favre before, no reason Rodgers couldn't have been the same. A bit too late now though, probably.

BlastFurnace
08-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Wasn't he the first ever "Malone" to lose a game against the Jets.The only team that had up till that time never beaten us?I think we were 6-0 or7-0 until then.Old brad use to change the play himself,and that led to tension with Chuck. Even if the play worked.

I seem to remember some fan in the late 80's...in protest of Malone starting for another dreadful year...drove his car up some ramp at Three Rivers Stadium because he was so P'O'd.

Do any of you remember this?

steeltheone
08-04-2008, 08:22 PM
agreed 1995 and 1997 would have been ring years with Marino. Heck we woulda won it in 1997 anyway if not for Mr. Elway.

HometownGal
08-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Why didn't he get a picture of a demonized skeleton holding a sickle?:laughing:

You got it 'coz you're special. :wink02::drink:

Stlrs4Life
08-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Guess it depends on the situation. It would all depend on who you had behind him.

billybob
08-04-2008, 09:35 PM
We did not take Marino because we chose to take an offensive line -man in that draft.One Gabe Rivera. He showed great promise,but happenned to be in a freak accident,and became parylized as a result. One big guy we know today was lucky. But one thing i can say is that Bradshaw was a pocket Q-B until that last possible moment when he would simply duck,and the defender and his momentum would carry him on past,and then Terry would sling that one pass to kill ya.I know that some may not remember,But i think Terry's elbow was the reason he called it quits. I have heard all kinds of stories,and that is what they are,about our recievers were so great,which they were exceptional,but how did the ball get to where they could catch that pass?True,they did have an excepitional offensive line,but Terry was a master at staying behind them.He learned not to panic at Lou. Tech.If Terry wanted to stay,i am sure he could have.Art was still around in those days,not that he is not till this day.

billybob
08-04-2008, 09:40 PM
agreed 1995 and 1997 would have been ring years with Marino. Heck we woulda won it in 1997 anyway if not for Mr. Elway.

If not for Gabe Rivera!

Galax Steeler
08-05-2008, 03:26 AM
I would have to say if we were in the situation that greenbay was in I would say no.

rdsovchen
08-05-2008, 01:15 PM
You got it 'coz you're special. :wink02::drink:

Ohh, I can feel the love!:love:
Here's to a great game Friday:drink:

St33lersguy
08-05-2008, 02:00 PM
In this situation I would say no because there is no doubt this is a distraction and this has forced the packers to take steps backwards. I would not welcome him back and explain to him "in order to move forward, we can't have you back". I would also say "make up your mind, we've been having to deal with this for a few years and I'm putting my foot down."
Frankly as a football fan I wish this saga would end because I am getting sick of having to here about Brett Favre EVERY SINGLE DAY.