PDA

View Full Version : State of the Steelers

rdsovchen
08-04-2008, 10:53 AM
I know it's early, but so far.... not so good!

We have a starting nose tackle 40 lbs overweight, a starting safety with a continually aggravated hamstring and a starting guard with a bad arm. All on the PUP list!:banging:

We have a first round draft pick who can't hammer into the end zone from 2 yards out!:doh:

We have numerous players with groin injuries, abdominal injuries and other minor, but practice limiting injuries. :injured:

Many players, so far, have been limited to practice time while players get shuffled around to fill the voids.

Will this team be able to turn it around and become a cohesive unit before training camp ends?:hope:

The Duke
08-04-2008, 10:58 AM
yep, we're doomed to an 0-16 season :rolleyes:

OneForTheToe
08-04-2008, 11:11 AM
You forgot to add that are "all world" conerback tore his ACL in the first game of the season ........ oh, sorry that was 1995 and we were so doomed we made the Super Bowl. My mistake ..... didn't mean to interupt your "sky is falling - we are doomed to fail" thread.:wink02:

Please carry forward.:wave:

BlastFurnace
08-04-2008, 11:30 AM

We have a starting nose tackle 40 lbs overweight, a starting safety with a continually aggravated hamstring and a starting guard with a bad arm. All on the PUP list!:banging:

We have a first round draft pick who can't hammer into the end zone from 2 yards out!:doh:

We have numerous players with groin injuries, abdominal injuries and other minor, but practice limiting injuries. :injured:

Many players, so far, have been limited to practice time while players get shuffled around to fill the voids.

Will this team be able to turn it around and become a cohesive unit before training camp ends?:hope:

1. Casey's weight is a problem, but anyone who believes that he played at 325 the past 3 or 4 seasons also probably believes that Bettis's playing weight was at the listed 255 in the media guide. Casey will need to shed some weight and will be fine by the start of the regular season, but the key here is getting Aaron Smith back. Casey's effectiveness, as anyone's would be, was really cut into when Eason was playing next to him. The only problem I see for Casey is his long term health. Sometimes you just need to push the 4th and 5th plate of food away and he obviously doesn't have the self discipline to do that.

I admire Tomlin for taking someone with Casey's clout on the team and making an example of him.

2. At this stage of the game, it's a little silly to assume that Mendenhall's problem from the 2 yard line...in Training Camp...will be a lingering problem. Mendenhall, like many rookie RB's before him, will figure it out. Besides, I don't care who gets into the end zone, whether it be Parker, Mendenhall, or Russell. Just get it in.

3. Look at every training camp and you will find the same injurues. We know more about our own because we follow the Steelers. Ben has been reported to be fine. Troy is chronically hurt, so that is just normal for him.

4. This is what we do know, Marvel Smith will be our LT, Colon will be at RT, Simmons will be at RG, so the only positions truly open on the OL are at C and at LG...and we all already knew that. The players being shuffled in and out of those positions is good because we need to find out who can fill those roles.

I don't have a problem with players learning multiple roles. New England does it on a regular basis and that is why their depth is so good. One guy goes down, and they have players that no-one has ever heard of, step in and play very well. The Steelers need to have that kind of versatility as well.

5. It's way too early to panic on where we will be on opening day, but I do believe that we will be a better team this year than last year...although the record may not show it because of the difficult schedule. Who knows, maybe some of the tough teams, due to injury or bad breaks, won't be tough by the time we get to them and the schedule plays out much different.

The only thing the Steelers can do is prepare themselves and....as Bill used to say..."Just Play".

Steeldude
08-04-2008, 11:44 AM
the only issues that really bother me are the O-line and the lack of depth on the D-line.

HometownGal
08-04-2008, 11:59 AM
http://www.priory-campus.co.uk/dreamweaver/danieltaylor/pics/the%20grim%20reaper.jpg

SteelMember
08-04-2008, 12:08 PM
If they played tidley winks, mabey we'd see more thumb sprains...

Hapa
08-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Why do you say we have a first round pick that can't hammer it into the end zone from 2 yards out? I think he can.

Steely McSmash
08-04-2008, 12:15 PM
Do you remember Bettis's admission a while back about holding off on reporting an injury until a little ways into camp?

I think we may be seeing some of a few things:

1. people that have been holding off on disclosing an injury until they're in camp.

2. People who didn't work so much in the offseason and put in a burst of work right before camp and who are a little strained as a result of it. Maybe not stretching well before camp and possibly compensating for sore muscles with a different gait etc.

I don't think troy is either of these but the others perhaps.

tony hipchest
08-04-2008, 12:22 PM
If they played tidley winks, mabey we'd see more thumb sprains...

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

on that note i think i'll just go read this kirwan article again.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=26325

19ward86
08-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Hampton has always been listed at 330, hes out of shape...not overweight. at least from a NT standpoint. Everything will start to fall into place once they get used to football season, they are all sore, and tired and since it is practice i think they take a little off...i iknow i do. I think we will see the real life steelers this friday. but it might even be on Sept 4 or whenever our first game is against the Texans.

slashsteel
08-04-2008, 04:18 PM
Pretty healthy overall only the punter is out. All three PUP's will be off the PUP before the season & will be ready to go.

We have depth/competition at just about every area on the team except the D-line. I look for the FO to address this in next years draft. Hopefully it won't bite us in the ass this year.

Every team has concerns. But it could be argued we have less than many.

I think the State of the Steelers with a solid value/draft class is encouraging..........

rdsovchen
08-04-2008, 04:34 PM
You forgot to add that are "all world" conerback tore his ACL in the first game of the season ........ oh, sorry that was 1995 and we were so doomed we made the Super Bowl. My mistake ..... didn't mean to interupt your "sky is falling - we are doomed to fail" thread.:wink02:

Please carry forward.:wave:

This was not meant to be a sky is falling thread. I just thought I would open up some intelligent discussion regarding what has taken place the first week of training camp. The good things that happen regarding the Steeler's:drink: are fantastic for all of us fans. But, that does not correlate to great discussions on a mssage board when there is no debating going on.

LambertLunatic
08-04-2008, 05:38 PM
I've seen training camps with more question marks than this year. I remember a camp where we lost 1 starting WR to free agency and the other starting WR holding out, a starting running back that was an undrafted 2nd year player with 1 start in his carreer and his backup well past his prime and overweight. All this with a QB heading into his "Sophmore Jinx" year. We done ok that year (2005) as I recall.

Stlrs4Life
08-04-2008, 09:31 PM

:hope:

So just because he couldn't get the TD that 1 time he's a bust?

stillers4me
08-04-2008, 09:39 PM
So just because he couldn't get the TD that 1 time he's a bust?

Yeah......against one of the best defenses in the league. :hunch:

Cut the bum.

TheWarDen86
08-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Wow! A gloom and doom thread already??? :noidea:

BigBrian7
08-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Most of these minor injuries are no big deal. Troy's situation, he is a veteran and really don't want to rush him back and have it linger all season. As long as his knee stays healthy he should be good. I been to camp twice so far and I personally think the D is going to be awesome, possibly better than the year we won the superbowl. R. Clark is back and plays a solid FS and Woodley/Timmons look like they will tear it up like Harrison did last year. With those three and a solid Farrior they have the potential to shatter team sack records. Anyone else who has seen them in camp please feel free to state your outlook on these guys.

Dodt
08-04-2008, 11:57 PM
not being a jinx , but this thread will be funny reading after starting 6-2.

Galax Steeler
08-05-2008, 03:30 AM
We will be fine they will be playing alot harder come friday night against the eagles.

redst3
08-05-2008, 07:45 AM

I agree with what you are saying, but i think its a little early too be worried. Let's see how they look Friday night.

PalmerSteel
08-05-2008, 08:33 AM
those are legitimate worries. nothing wrong with posting them. however i do think these pup's right now are giving other guys time with the first stringers to make our depth more solid. i havent looked, but i really dont think we are in much different shape than most teams out there right now, besides our punter of course. like someone else said lets see how they look in a couple preseason games. i think we will be fine!

missedgehead
08-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Yeah, the original poster does have some legitimate concerns. I think the team will do fine though this season. :)