PDA

View Full Version : A letter to Commissioner Good Deal

stlrtruck
08-04-2008, 04:03 PM
So I've been bothered by the commissioners actions as of late and have decided that I'm sending a letter to vent. And why not, it isn't like he's been the poster child of consistency. So here it goes:

August 4, 2008

Roger Goodell
Commissioner
National Football League
280 Park Ave
New York, NY 10017

Dear Commissioner Goodell:

When you first took office as commissioner of the National Football League, I was impressed with your swift action towards players whose actions brought into question the integrity of the league.

However, in light of recent events, it seems that you yourself have forgotten the definition of integrity. It seems now that you are hell bent on shaking the very foundation with which the NFL has been founded. Needless to say, Mr. Goodell, as with other fans I’ve spoken, your actions have become tiring and ridiculous.

Integrity, Mr. Goodell, is defined as 1) the state of being whole and undivided, completeness, and 2) honest (as described by Webster’s Dictionary). Or as I’ve heard mentioned, “Integrity is what you do when no one is watching.” So I ask Mr. Goodell, where has your integrity been since the revelations of “Spygate”.

First you suspend a coach for the personal use of steroids. You levied a 4 game suspension against him, mentioning the integrity of the game. At this point you were constant with your rulings so I had no grounds for being bothered by it. Until it was proven that Coach Belichick had been “mis-interpreting” the video taping rules for longer than you cared to admit (at least initially). Where was your “integrity” then? Your course of actions including destroying video tape before it could be reviewed by any one outside of your office (with the exception of the Patriots organization). You had an opportunity to bring light to a situation, restore order, and defend the “Integrity of the League” as you had mentioned in dealing with players. But what did you do? You failed – you failed the league – and you failed us, the fans! So much that in some circles you’ve been renamed Commissioner Good Deal. We are curious to know, how comfortable is it living in Mr. Kraft’s pocket?

Second, you begin to meddle in the business between a team and one of its former players. What are you thinking? You’re not an Owner, GM, or coach. You are the Commissioner of the NFL – at what point do you get to decide what a team should do with one of its retired players (at least up until today)? Your job has nothing to do with contract disputes or teams personnel decisions. Would you intervene if Jake Long hadn’t signed with the Dolphins before camp? I think not. Who are you catering to Mr. Goodell?

And finally, I find your actions in the Steelers ownership situation, pathetic at best. You intervene, supposedly, for the good of the league on other issues but now, all of a sudden, when the foundation of one of the most storied franchises is under attack, you sit by and basically say, “Rules are rules.” After your unfair, and integrity lacking actions towards Robert Kraft, Coach Belichick, and the Patriots – how is it now that you decide that the rules are rules? That would have been great if you would have maintained that demeanor throughout but you have shown preferential treatment towards players and teams while letting others out in the wind to be devoured by whomever would have their way with them.

You have made a mockery of your title and your position. How soon will it end? Or how soon will you make the same mockery of the league?

I can only hope that your actions moving forward do not lack the same integrity!

Sincerely,

Scott Himes

verks36
08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
That shit is so true rules are rules
but when the pats broke those rules they just get a slap on the wrist

RoethlisBURGHer
08-04-2008, 04:20 PM
I hope you indeed do send that letter. I think every one of us should send a letter!

PisnNapalm
08-04-2008, 04:29 PM
At this point you were constant with your rulings so I had no grounds for being bothered by it.

Did you mean consistent?

xfl2001fan
08-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Great letter bro. It really should be (if not sent to him) then sent to a larger public venue than a "Steelers" website so that it could get some better publicity.

Preacher
08-04-2008, 06:09 PM
I would

1. Play up GB as a historical franchise just a bit.

2. downplay the Steelers as a historical franchise just a bit.

By doing these things, it looks like you are seeing both franchises in the same light and are not biased to one franchise.

HometownGal
08-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Great letter, Scott! :drink:

My letter to that picklehead would be short and sweet.

Dear Patsies* Bi tch:

http://www.lowculture.com/archives/images/Wimp.jpg

:upyours:

Sincerely,

HTG
Lifetime fan of a team and organization with class and integrity.

Preacher
08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I would

1. Play up GB as a historical franchise just a bit.

2. downplay the Steelers as a historical franchise just a bit.

By doing these things, it looks like you are seeing both franchises in the same light and are not biased to one franchise.

Sorry...

forgot to say...

It is a good letter though.

Well........... So much for editing the post instead of quoting the post..:doh:

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Great letter, Scott! :drink:

My letter to that picklehead would be short and sweet.

Dear Patsies* Bi tch:

http://www.lowculture.com/archives/images/Wimp.jpg

:upyours:

Sincerely,

HTG
Lifetime fan of a team and organization with class and integrity.

Would you mind adding a spot at the end of the letter so I may sign it as well? :tt02:

(with extra :fingers:)

SteelersMongol
08-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey, maybe we all should sign up.

Steelman16
08-05-2008, 01:04 AM
Very nice letter!

I would definitely put my John Han-c-o-c-k on it with big letters. :tt02:

EDITED! :chuckle:

stlrtruck
08-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Did you mean consistent?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll correct that before I mail it.

stlrtruck
08-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Letter edited to correct some grammar as well as change some points (a little). Feel free to copy and send one for yourself:

August 4, 2008

Roger Goodell
Commissioner
National Football League
280 Park Ave
New York, NY 10017

When you first took office as commissioner of the National Football League, I was impressed with your swift action towards players whose actions brought into question the integrity of the league.

However, in light of recent events, it seems that you yourself have forgotten the definition of integrity. It seems now that you are hell bent on shaking the very foundation with which the NFL has been founded. Needless to say, Mr. Goodell, as with other fans I’ve spoken, your actions have become tiring and ridiculous.

Integrity, Mr. Goodell, is defined as 1) the state of being whole and undivided, completeness, and 2) honest (as described by Webster’s Dictionary). Or as I’ve heard mentioned, “Integrity is what you do when no one is watching.” So I ask Mr. Goodell, where has your integrity been since the revelations of “Spygate”.

First you suspend a coach for the personal use of steroids. You levied a 4 game suspension against him, mentioning the integrity of the game. At this point you were consistent with your rulings so I had no grounds for being bothered by it. Until it was proven that Coach Belichick had been “mis-interpreting” the video taping rules for longer than you cared to admit (at least initially). Where was your “integrity” then? Your course of actions including destroying video tape before it could be reviewed by any one outside of your office (with the exception of the Patriots organization). You had an opportunity to bring light to a situation, restore order, and defend the “Integrity of the League” as you had mentioned in dealing with players. But what did you do? You failed – you failed the league – and you failed us, the fans! So much that in some circles you’ve been renamed Commissioner Good Deal. We are curious to know, how comfortable is it living in Mr. Kraft’s pocket?

Second, you begin to meddle in the business between the Packers and Favre. What are you thinking? You’re not an Owner, GM, or coach. Is it because Favre is an icon to the NFL, is it because the NFL needs Favre to help take the heat off the debacle known as “Spygate” and put it on something less intense? You are the Commissioner of the NFL – at what point do you get to decide what a team should do with one of its retired players (at least up until today)? Your job has nothing to do with contract disputes or teams personnel decisions. Would you intervene if Jake Long hadn’t signed with the Dolphins before camp? I think not. Who are you catering to Mr. Goodell?

And finally, I find your actions in the Steelers ownership situation, pathetic at best. You intervene, supposedly, for the good of the league on other issues but now, all of a sudden, when the foundation of one of the most storied franchises is under attack, you sit by and basically say, “Rules are rules.” After your unfair, and integrity lacking actions towards Robert Kraft, Coach Belichick, and the Patriots – how is it now that you decide that the rules are rules? That would have been great if you would have maintained that demeanor throughout but you have shown preferential treatment towards players and teams while letting others out in the wind to be devoured by whomever would have their way with them.

You have made a mockery of your title and your position. How soon will it end? Or how soon will you make the same mockery of the league?

I can only hope that your actions moving forward do not lack the same integrity!

Sincerely,

Texasteel
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Intellegent, has feeling, and is to the point.
I'll sign it,
It wouldn't do any good but it would make me fell better.

The Patriot
08-05-2008, 11:31 PM

However, in light of recent events, it seems that you yourself have forgotten the definition of integrity. It seems now that you are hell bent on shaking the very foundation that which the NFL has been founded upon. Needless to say, Mr. Goodell, as with other fans I’ve spoken, your actions have become tiring and ridiculous.

Integrity, Mr. Goodell, is defined as 1) the state of being whole and undivided, completeness, and 2) honest (as described by Webster’s Dictionary). Or as I’ve heard mentioned, “Integrity is what you do when no one is watching.” So I ask you, Mr. Goodell, where has your integrity been since the revelations of “Spygate”.

First of all, you suspended a coach for the personal use of steroids and you levied a 4 game suspension against him, mentioning the integrity of the game. At this point you were consistent with your rulings so I had no grounds to be bothered by it. Until it was proven that Coach Belichick had been “mis-interpreting” the video taping rules for longer than you cared to admit (at least initially). Where was your “integrity” then? Your course of actions including the destruction of video tape before it could be reviewed by any one outside of your office (with the exception of the Patriots organization). You had an opportunity to bring light to a situation, restore order, and defend the “Integrity of the League” as you had mentioned in dealing with players. But what did you do? You failed – you failed the league – and you failed us, the fans! So much so that in some circles you’ve been renamed Commissioner Good Deal. We are curious to know, how comfortable it is living in Mr. Kraft’s pocket.

Secondly, you begin to meddle in the business between the Packers and Favre. What are you thinking? You’re not an Owner, GM, or coach. Is it because Favre is an icon to the NFL; is it because the NFL needs Favre to help take the heat off the debacle known as “Spygate” and put it on something less intense? You are the Commissioner of the NFL – who gave you the liberty to decide what a team does with one of its retired players (at least up until today)? Your job has nothing to do with contract disputes or teams personnel decisions. Would you intervene if Jake Long hadn’t signed with the Dolphins before camp? I think not. Who are you catering to Mr. Goodell?

And finally, I find your actions in the Steelers ownership situation, pathetic at best. You intervene, supposedly, for the good of the league on other issues but now, all of a sudden, when the foundation of one of the most storied franchises is under attack, you sit by and basically say, “Rules are rules.” After your unfair, and integrity lacking actions towards Robert Kraft, Coach Belichick, and the Patriots – how is it now that you decide that the rules are rules? That would have been great if you had maintained that demeanor throughout but you have shown preferential treatment towards players and teams while letting others out in the wind to be devoured by whomever would have their way with them.

You have made a mockery of your title and your position. How soon will it end? Or how soon will you make a similar mockery of the league?

I can only hope that your actions in the coming future do not lack the same integrity!

Sincerely,
__________________________________________________ _______________

That's my two cents.

By the way this letter is hilarious. :popcorn:

tony hipchest
08-05-2008, 11:55 PM
__________________________________________________ _______________

By the way this letter is hilarious. :popcorn:

as are you.

btw, how many letters and e-mails did the patfanfaithfull fire off to specter, and all their local congressmen to bitch and whine about the whole "spygate ordeal".

youre bitch assed team, and fanbase made their bed, why not lie in it?

("lie" being the operative word...)

stlrtruck
08-18-2008, 10:14 AM
So I got a nice little response, not from the commissioner but from Greg Aiello (Senior Vice President, Public Relations). I guess he makes the kool-aid that everyone is suppose to drink, but here it goes:

Dear Mr. Himes:

I am responding to your recent letter to Commissioner Goodell. We appreciate your interest in the NFL, and taking the time to share your perspective.

However, I must say that I respectfully disagree with your comments. In every issues he has addressed, Commissioner Goodell has made protecting the integrity of the league his foremost pirority. It is his most important responsibility as commissioner of the NFL.

In the Patriots' video matter, I would remind you that the commissioner's office apprehended the Patriots' videographer and Commissioner Goodell then took unprecendented disciplinary action against the club and head coach. Commissioner Goodell then initiated a comprehensive review of our procedures to protect the integrity of our games, leading to a series of steps that will strengthen our enforcement of those rules going forward.

In the Brett Favre matter, Commissioner Goodell's role was to ensure that the rights of the Packers, the other 31 clubs, and Brett Favre were respected. The decisions on Brett's future in the NFL were made by Brett and the Packers.

In the Steelers' ownership matter, Commissioner Goodell has been working with the Rooneys for almost two years to address issues relating to the succession of ownership in the team and related ownership policies. The goal is to keep the ownership of the Steelers in the Rooney family.

You can rest assures that Commissioner Goodell will continue to address all issues with the integrity of the NFL at the top of his priority list.

Thanks again for your itnerest in the NFL and we hope you enjoy the 2008 season.

Sincerely,

Greg Aiello

stlrtruck
08-18-2008, 10:37 AM
And my response to Mr. Aiello:

Dear Mr. Aiello:

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my letter. I am delighted to see that it does not appear to be a form letter and that you took the time to prepare a response to my comments.

However, I must respond in kind to your comment that, I respectfully disagree and refuse to drink the kool-aid that you’ve prepared for the media and the light hearted fans of the NFL.

In the Patriots video matter, please note that Commissioner Goodell took no disciplinary action but only handed out monetary fines. Monetary fines are not discipline when the fine handed out is miniscule in comparison to the millions of dollars generated by the team and paid to the coach. Again I refer you back to the case with Cowboys’ coach Wade Wilson being suspended for five games (one more than Patriots’ player Rodney Harrison). The commissioner was swift and consistent with his actions. Up until he decided only to levy a fine against a coach and team that, eventually, proved they had been CHEATING since 2001. So let’s review. A coach takes HGH, supposedly to increase his “way of life” gets a 5 game suspension while a coach who has been cheating teams, players, league, and fans for almost 6 years gets a fine. Great way to protect the integrity of the league.

In the matter of Brett Favre, in my opinion, the commissioner never should have gotten involved or spoke out about the matter. His job was to reinstate or not reinstate. Let the player and the team decide what should be done. It’s the nature of the league. And it raises red flags and creates conspiracy theories about what the “league” wants. If the commissioner is concerned about the other 31 clubs and their rights, then why hasn’t he mentioned anything about Jackson’s holdout in St. Louis? It seems that Commissioner Goodell is playing favorites. Why? Is it because the player is one of few faces of the league?

In the matter of the Steelers, it is a sad state of affairs as it is. I remember the days before the Cooke family were made to sale the Redskins organization. It was a disaster. I could sit here and list many avenues that the commissioner and the league could take to resolve the ownership issue but it would be pointless. If the commissioner and the league were truly interested in keeping the ownership of the Steelers in the Rooney family, simply put, they could make it happen without difficulty.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to read my initial comments as well as this letter. I also appreciate the time you took to respond. However, Mr. Aiello, I hope that you are not foolish enough to think that those of us who consider ourselves true fans of individual teams across the NFL and the game itself are not foolish enough to drink the kool-aid you’re serving. And please sir, do not consider that we are not intellectual enough to read between the lines and see the truth.

Respectively,

xfl2001fan
08-18-2008, 07:52 PM
I suspect you won't get another response. Good on you!

Murabma
08-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Good job--keep up the good work!

stlrtruck
08-18-2008, 10:00 PM
I suspect you won't get another response. Good on you!

You know for the money I pour into the NFL, I don't expect to get a return letter but they can rest assured that if I become aggravated, they can expect one from me every year.

I figure they'll eventually either have my address on file to automatically delete or they'll just give me a job to shut me up.

fansince'76
08-18-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm truly surprised that you got a response that didn't appear to be a form letter.

xfl2001fan
08-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Yeah, I'm with him. It's all good, most people wouldn't have known where to send that letter...let alone had the brass to send it. (Not that it really takes much brass to send a letter, but there it is anyways.)

stlrtruck
08-18-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm truly surprised that you got a response that didn't appear to be a form letter.

Last year's response letter seemed more like a form letter. However, this was point specfic, so they probably wanted to address it (either that or Aiello was bored and figured he'd have some fun).