PDA

View Full Version : Penguins to Break Ground on New Arena

pittsburghp8baller
08-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Governor Edward G. Rendell, Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato, Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl and Sports & Exhibition Authority Chairman John Chalovich will join Pittsburgh Penguins owner Mario Lemieux, CEO Ken Sawyer and team president David Morehouse in a groundbreaking ceremony for the new multi-purpose arena on Thursday, August 14 at 11 a.m.

The ceremonial event will take place at the future location of “center ice” of the new facility, which is being built across the street from Mellon Arena, between Centre and Fifth Avenues. The arena will be home to the Penguins and will host numerous concerts, family shows and other events year-round. It is scheduled to open for the start of the 2010-11 NHL season.

The groundbreaking ceremony will be open to the general public. Those attending should enter the site via the gate located along Washington Place. Footwear that is appropriate for a construction site – such as hard-soled, close-toed shoes or boots – is required.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=379405

X-Terminator
08-05-2008, 05:44 PM
I HAVE to be there for that!

SteelCityMan786
08-05-2008, 10:23 PM
What sucks is that I will still have 1 more day of Football that day before I get home. Better save some footage somewhere. Would've been nice to have seen all 3 of the new sports stadiums/arenas groundbreakings.

millwalldavey
08-06-2008, 09:37 AM
...... new AFL team perhaps?

SteelCityMan786
08-06-2008, 11:22 AM

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_579893.html

Pittsburgh is a candidate for expansion. South Florida and Boston are the ones nearest to being added.

pittsburghp8baller
08-06-2008, 12:31 PM

that would be awesome, would def have to shift from a preds fan to the hometown team

stlrtruck
08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
They better darn well make sure the colors are Black and Gold... I mean isn't that a law?

SteelCityMan786
08-06-2008, 01:17 PM
They better darn well make sure the colors are Black and Gold... I mean isn't that a law?

Then why isn't Pitt Black and Gold? or Duquesne? etc.

Pro Sports Wise they better be Black and Gold.

stlrtruck
08-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Then why isn't Pitt Black and Gold? or Duquesne? etc.

Pro Sports Wise they better be Black and Gold.

I wish I knew. You would think they would have followed, but it's college and I'm ok with the non-pro's not being BnG - but for the Pro Ranks if it ain't Black and Gold it doesn't belong in Da 'Burgh.

SteelCityMan786
08-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I wish I knew. You would think they would have followed, but it's college and I'm ok with the non-pro's not being BnG - but for the Pro Ranks if it ain't Black and Gold it doesn't belong in Da 'Burgh.

One more reason the Gladiators died and moved on to Tampa.

X-Terminator
08-06-2008, 07:52 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_579893.html

Pittsburgh is a candidate for expansion. South Florida and Boston are the ones nearest to being added.

I think we'll get it. As big a football town as this is, it's a win for the league - it's sure to be more popular than it was back when the Gladiators were playing. Plus, it would give us an alternative to the Pirates for the spring/summer. I might just have to invest in some season tickets if it does happen, though it likely wouldn't be until the 2011 season.

I wonder who the ownership group is, though?

SteelCityMan786
08-06-2008, 09:15 PM
I think we'll get it. As big a football town as this is, it's a win for the league - it's sure to be more popular than it was back when the Gladiators were playing. Plus, it would give us an alternative to the Pirates for the spring/summer. I might just have to invest in some season tickets if it does happen, though it likely wouldn't be until the 2011 season.

I wonder who the ownership group is, though?

Any chance you think Jerome might have part ownership of the team like Jaws does with the Soul?

If Pittsburgh is added, the AFL Wins big time. They'll have one of the biggest hot beds for Football in the league. No Doubt in my mind at least 95%+ of the arena would be full.

X-Terminator
08-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Missed the ceremony, but the Pens have a new page up with all of the details about the new arena. There is also a video that gives a virtual tour of the building - it's going to be absolutely beautiful! I can't wait until it opens!!! :drink:

http://penguins.nhl.com/arena/index.htm

Note the official capacity of the building and the total number of suites. I wonder why they picked those numbers? :wink02:

SteelCityMan786
08-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Missed the ceremony, but the Pens have a new page up with all of the details about the new arena. There is also a video that gives a virtual tour of the building - it's going to be absolutely beautiful! I can't wait until it opens!!! :drink:

http://penguins.nhl.com/arena/index.htm

Note the official capacity of the building and the total number of suites. I wonder why they picked those numbers? :wink02:

Yeah, something smells fishy. :chuckle:

Preacher
10-13-2008, 04:02 AM
bump

T.Richardson
11-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Last time I saw the stadium, it didnt even break ground, all I saw was a big area of dirt next to mellon. I wish this stadium would get built as fast as PNC, and Heinz were built. I think it was like less than 2 years.

SteelCityMan786
11-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Last time I saw the stadium, it didnt even break ground, all I saw was a big area of dirt next to mellon. I wish this stadium would get built as fast as PNC, and Heinz were built. I think it was like less than 2 years.

Ground has been broken.

stlrtruck
11-11-2008, 11:25 PM
It will be built just in time for me to bring my daughter to Da Burgh after she turns 5....hmmm, tickets to the Steelers and to the Penguins in one weekend...I might have to make that a 4 day trip!!!

randy06
11-12-2008, 01:48 AM
i cant wait till its done!

T.Richardson
11-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Ground has been broken.

isnt when ground breaks when they start actually building the arena? Im confused.

X-Terminator
11-17-2008, 05:17 PM
isnt when ground breaks when they start actually building the arena? Im confused.

They had actually started construction about a month before the official groundbreaking ceremony, but yet, technically that's what it is. Right now, you can see the outline of the ice surface and they've started building what will be the lower seating bowl, main concourse and service areas. Steel is supposed to start going up at the beginning of the new year.

SteelCityMan786
11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
They had actually started construction about a month before the official groundbreaking ceremony, but yet, technically that's what it is. Right now, you can see the outline of the ice surface and they've started building what will be the lower seating bowl, main concourse and service areas. Steel is supposed to start going up at the beginning of the new year.

I heard as early as December.

Edman
12-16-2008, 01:47 PM
The Arena has a new name. Say hello to Consol Energy Arena.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=398194

Mellon Arena was called the igloo. Do we call this "The Coal Mine?"

X-Terminator
12-16-2008, 02:17 PM
The Arena has a new name. Say hello to Consol Energy Arena.

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=398194

Mellon Arena was called the igloo. Do we call this "The Coal Mine?"

This was already posted in the Pens Tidbits thread, and as I said there, I'm very surprised that Consol Energy won it. I had heard that UPMC was the front-runner for the longest time, and if they beat them out, then they must have put up some serious cash.

As for the nickname, The CEC will probably what it'll be, but "The Coal Mine"...hmmm, I dunno. The locals might like it, though.