PDA

View Full Version : Overtime QB

Prosdo
11-20-2005, 11:36 PM
I was talking with a few friends after the game about the QB in overtime. Do you think they made a good call by leaving Maddox in or should they have brought Ben or Randle El in?

BlitzburghRockCity
11-20-2005, 11:44 PM
For a change of pace, why not have started El or Ben.??? Sounds good to me!! Maybe El because of his moves could have generated some much needed yards against a tired defense.. I would have liked to see Ben in there , but if he'd have gotten hurt, it would have been bad news since he's close to being completely healed up and should be ready this coming weekend.

Its obvious nothing was working all day on offense w/ the exception of the 1 drive for the TD. I mean NOTHING!

rowedf
11-20-2005, 11:57 PM
What I really wanted to see is EL get a series. Let him play an entire series for one reason. Script all the plays for him to roll and RUN....nothing else. Bring Tommy back in.....let him do his thing (hold on to it and get sacked) then a few series later bring EL back in and let him be a QB (look down field)......the D would have been focused on him scrambling and I feel someone would have been left open. Cowher was playing way too much of "not to loose" rather than "to win".

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Cowher was playing way too much of "not to loose" rather than "to win".

most definately... and its nothing new either..it was a close game and taking a chance at the right time and actually trying to air it out w/ a calcuated big play option just wasnt happening today. :chair:

Koopa
11-21-2005, 12:23 AM
i said ARE cause i hate maddox and i wouldn't want to risk ben getting hurt again cause of a cheap shot. hell i would've rather put in bettis

bangpow
11-21-2005, 12:32 AM
Unfortunately, Cowher made the right move by keeping Maddox in there. You can't have ARE behind center for the OT.

Rotorhead
11-21-2005, 12:51 AM
The only reason it was a good idea for Turnover Tommy to be in there would be to let Ben heal and not have a chance to get hurt again. We are going to need him down the stretch.

soniczilla
11-21-2005, 08:16 AM
Well, I was in favor of throwing Antwaan in there. And after seeing what happened in OT, it should've happened. Just have Antwaa drop back, look at the #1 and #2 receiver and either throw it or run. No sacks, no fumbles, we would've been fine.

steelersgirl86
11-21-2005, 09:41 AM
I would of liked to see Ben in for a little bit just to get back into the swing of things before next week.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-21-2005, 11:36 AM
I voted Ben because I knew he could lead us into FG range to win the game.

And I don't blame Cowher for playing "not to lose" because I don't trust Maddox.

clevestinks
11-21-2005, 06:34 PM
I want Ben to get healthy, they would have blitzed him to death trying to hurt him, maybe even a cheap shot, we are talking about the ratbirds.

El running the option for one drive, just one drive! I really think after the coin toss, he would have drove us into field goal range.

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-22-2005, 12:00 AM
In this game I would have put El in. Maddox is a washed up Journeyman just like Neil O'Donnel was. Only Neil could still ball when we left him go.

Livinginthe past
11-22-2005, 03:35 PM
I dont think putting Ben in was really an option.

The Steelers are more than likely going to the playoffs - its possible Cowher is doing everything he can make sure Ben is 100% fit for that and not risking worsening an injury for the sake of a gamble on overtime.

It would have definitely been worth putting El in for a series during the game - just to see how it might play out - then you could think about bringing him on in OT.

It would have also thrown the the Ravens D off the scent for a while - they were having a great time dominating the Steelers offense and it might have thrown a spanner into the works.

Then again we all know that Cowhers inability to make plans on the run is his biggest failing - so it should be no real surprise that he didnt take any of these options and continued with Maddox at QB.

I dont agree with all the hatred towards Tommy Maddox -I believe he is trying his best but it just isnt good enough - if he is not performing then it is up to the coach to put in a better option at QB - if there isnt one then Steeler fans need to just grin and bear it and try and support him.

Cheers

NM

clevestinks
11-22-2005, 03:53 PM
At least by putting El in, we would have seen what we had in him. We had nothing to lose! Tommy would do that for us. All we could do is lose, and we did, and we didnt have any faith in the insurance saleman, atleast El is a player.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-22-2005, 03:55 PM
I want Ben to get healthy, they would have blitzed him to death trying to hurt him, maybe even a cheap shot, we are talking about the ratbirds.

El running the option for one drive, just one drive! I really think after the coin toss, he would have drove us into field goal range.

Hell both defenses were tired, he could have run us into FG range.. :grin:

clevestinks
11-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Exactly right Blitz!

But in Cowhers defense. Maybe he did see a little confidence in our offense, late in the game. And he probably is thinking ahead, not knowing if he will need Tommy later in the season! God knows I hope not.