PDA

View Full Version : Camp Notes 8/6/2008 - Specifically about Anthony Smith

BlastFurnace
08-06-2008, 05:46 PM
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, August 06, 2008
Smith still doesn't get it

Anthony Smith returned to practice for the first time since the opening day of training camp and immediately showed what had been missing while he was out – the knucklehead factor.

Smith, who blasted Willie Reid twice on the opening day of camp in non-contact drills - hammered Hines Ward to the ground in a seven-on-seven non-contact drill Wednesday.

The coaches were not at all happy, with one yelling, "Are you out of your cussword deleted mind." It wasn't a question so much as a statement.

Smith was looked at as the team's free safety of the future as recently as last year's training camp, but it's becoming apparent that he just doesn't have the mentality to play the position.

Nailing the team's all-time receptions leader in a non-contact drill is no way to keep your roster spot.

© Surprisingly enough, everybody practiced today, save PUP listers Troy Polamalu and Casey Hampton. Mike Tomlin did say today that he expects Polamalu and Hampton to return as early as next week.

© I really like what I've seen of running back Mewelde Moore as a receiver. He catches the ball fluidly in space and never slows down. The Steelers haven't had a receiving option like him out of the backfield in some time.

© Check back here tomorrow for my picks on youngsters to watch in Friday's game

We may like it when Smith does this in a game, but considering that he doesn't learn from the past, he doesn't appear to be very bright. Something tells me that Hines will get a piece of Smith before camp is over...if not by the end of the week.

GeneralRobinson
08-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Below is my impression of Pittsburgh coaches as they try to impress the finer points of football on young Mr. Smith.

:banging:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Was watching FSN pittsburgh Stan Savrans show from camp. It appears that Smtih laid Ward out in the 7 on 7 session this afternoon. Eyebrows were raised and there was a short interview with Ward...

"your surprised about it. Like I said normally I don't get hit like that until the pre-season game but like I said it is what it is I'm not going to sit there and harp about it, move on and continue to get better."

The report asked if he talked about it to Smith Ward's reply,

"I'll talk to him about it, well talk about it."

Non the less Ward did not look happy. They also commented that Smith has a history of hitting his own teammates like that at practice. Stan then said " it would be much better if he hit other players like that rather than chasing them down from behind into the end zone." :toofunny:

Time to grow up Anthony, you had your chance last year and you blew it, or should we say you were the one that was blown up.....Tom Terrific Brady schooled Smith but good. I guess that thorn is still wedged in his ass but good.

Texasteel
08-06-2008, 07:14 PM
Nailing two of the WRs in NON-contact drills does not show a high level of intelligence. Let alone one of them be Ward.

Edman
08-06-2008, 07:33 PM
This thread won't end well. That's why he'll never step foot on the field as long as Ryan Clark is on the roster.

I think this seals Smith's fate with his teammates and the fans. He'll be gone soon enough. Cut this worthless, undisciplined SOB.

43Hitman
08-06-2008, 07:37 PM
It's like a bad dream that keeps happening over and over again. I kinda had a feeling he wouldn't learn.

Atlanta Dan
08-06-2008, 07:41 PM
This thread won't end well..

:sofunny:

You got that right

Anthony Smith is a living illustration of the line from Dumb and Dumber = Just when I think you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this…and totally redeem yourself!

stillers4me
08-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Save it for Toofer, Anthony.

fansince'76
08-06-2008, 07:58 PM
....you had your chance last year and you blew it, or should we say you were the one that was blown up.....Tom Terrific Brady schooled Smith but good.

Yep, and that's the reason this is being made to be as big of an issue as it is.

HometownGal
08-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I really believed Smith was going to show some improvement in his maturity level and have a great season, but I can see I was horribly wrong. :doh: I still believe this kid has a lot of God-given talent, but his douchebaggery seems to be overshadowing that talent. If the coaches can't get this erratic behavior under control, he needs to be given the heave-ho. (Arizona will pick him up as they pick up most of our rejects).

My wish for Smith? That Big Snack sits on his head.

xfl2001fan
08-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I really believed Smith was going to show some improvement in his maturity level and have a great season, but I can see I was horribly wrong. :doh: I still believe this kid has a lot of God-given talent, but his douchebaggery seems to be overshadowing that talent. If the coaches can't get this erratic behavior under control, he needs to be given the heave-ho. (Arizona will pick him up as they pick up most of our rejects).

Holy crap, punish the guy, don't kill him. First you suggest a career death in Arizona (not such a bad thing) but the follow up was just cruel and unusual punishment! :drink:

The Duke
08-06-2008, 08:18 PM
messing with hines? smith doesn't know the problem he's in now

I guess this is irrelevant now....

"I can't be so aggressive," said Smith, who is in Arizona for the Super Bowl. "By that I mean knowing when to be aggressive.

"I won't change," Smith, a third-round draft pick in 2006 who may be the Steelers' most physical defender, promised Thursday. "If I stopped being aggressive, I wouldn't be the same player. It's just knowing when to be aggressive.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_550407.html

stillers4me
08-06-2008, 08:41 PM

douchebaggery ??????

:sofunny:

PalmerSteel
08-06-2008, 08:47 PM
at this point, this has nothing to do with his maturity. he really must be just that stupid and since he is this stupid, i dont think he will learn much more on his play and how to not get burnt. i hope he gets cut. dont waste no more time or energy on this moron.

SteelersMongol
08-06-2008, 08:47 PM
WTF? I mean, what an idiot. I had so much faith in the guy.

The thing is even if he starts playing like the way he used to, he ain't going nowhere if he keep pulling this kind of sh*t on his teammates. F*ckt*rd.

WWIIOwheelz
08-06-2008, 08:59 PM
I'd be surprised if that isn't dealt with by some veteran members of the team, and quite effectively.

OneForTheToe
08-07-2008, 01:23 AM
I'd be surprised if that isn't dealt with by some veteran members of the team, and quite effectively.

You think somebody is going to order a "code red?" :popcorn:

"Did you order the 'code red 'on Mr Smith? You're damn right I ordered the 'code red'."

redst3
08-07-2008, 04:04 AM
Nailing two of the WRs in NON-contact drills does not show a high level of intelligence. Let alone one of them be Ward.

He's stuck on stupid.

Galax Steeler
08-07-2008, 04:05 AM
I think Hines will take his shot at smith when given the chance everyone knows what Ward can do.

redst3
08-07-2008, 04:08 AM
Holy crap, punish the guy, don't kill him. First you suggest a career death in Arizona (not such a bad thing) but the follow up was just cruel and unusual punishment! :drink:

Its a collective thing, X. This isn't the first time and I doubt it will be the last time he displays this kind of stupidity.

redst3
08-07-2008, 04:10 AM
I think Hines will take his shot at smith when given the chance everyone knows what Ward can do....or we could sign Earl Holmes up for a one day contract and lock him, Smith and a bar stool in a room together.

Elvis
08-07-2008, 04:52 AM
What Goes Around, Comes Around:hatsoff:

Hapa
08-07-2008, 06:20 AM
What a profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering retard.

But we all know Hines is good at picking off Safeties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3uM3d42b6M :sofunny:

stlrtruck
08-07-2008, 08:07 AM
Look, what Smith did was STOOPID. However, Ward needs to take the high road here and not retaliate. Let Smith think he's gong to get him, but never touch him. Maybe scare him a few times...have some fun with it, but teach him about a different level of professionalism.
Someone on the defense needs to take this boy aside and have a real heart to heart, put the fear of God in him.

xfl2001fan
08-07-2008, 08:22 AM
Look, what Smith did was STOOPID. However, Ward needs to take the high road here and not retaliate. Let Smith think he's gong to get him, but never touch him. Maybe scare him a few times...have some fun with it, but teach him about a different level of professionalism.
Someone on the defense needs to take this boy aside and have a real heart to heart, put the fear of God in him.

If I was Ward, I'd take the high road. Once contact is allowed, I'd knock the p!$$ out of thim, but until then, take the high road.

tony hipchest
08-07-2008, 08:29 AM
what????

anthony smith punched hines ward and broke his nose while standing on the sideline? :dang:

oh, wait... looks like he just made contact during a no contact drill. im thinking of steve smith (who only got a 2 game suspension).

moving on.

"Are you out of your *cussword deleted* mind."

im thinking it was an offensive coach who said this.

CanadianSteel
08-07-2008, 09:12 AM

Agree.... Hines is too valuable to this team to worry about trying to get revenge, and possibly hurting himself.
The best approach woukd be for Hines and then Steelers to have one of the defensive captains have a firm chat with Mr. Smith......
Lock hin in a room with Silverback or soemthing....

steelwall
08-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Yeah, but God forbid Ward had been injured on the play. No matter how you slice it it is still an extremely bonehead move. In my opinion as equally boneheaded as Smith's nose breaking incident.

The Duke
08-07-2008, 09:19 AM

now that sounds good

Lock hin in a room with Silverback or soemthing....

even better, lol

whatever they do I'm sure the team won't let this issue go away.

BlastFurnace
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
what????

anthony smith punched hines ward and broke his nose while standing on the sideline? :dang:

oh, wait... looks like he just made contact during a no contact drill. im thinking of steve smith (who only got a 2 game suspension).

moving on.

im thinking it was an offensive coach who said this.

The bottom line in all of this is that Anthony Smith has shown absolutely nothing since he was drafted other than some good hits...and it wasn't just Brady & Moss that taught him a lesson last year.

The guy appears to not have the cognitive ability to learn or to use any kind of discernment. He really appears to be pretty stupid to put it bluntly.

There have been other reports from the same beat writer that said that he ignores LeBeau as well, not just an offensive coach.

iBleedBlack&Gold
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
If he had leveled Reid again, or Jeremy Bloom, etc. this isn't a big deal. But he hit Hines so some of us are calling for him to be released. That's all this is. Hopefully this kid get's his mind right and stops trying to initimidate his own teammates. Save it for Sunday's this year Smith.

Mosca
08-07-2008, 09:55 AM
The bottom line in all of this is that Anthony Smith has shown absolutely nothing since he was drafted other than some good hits...and it wasn't just Brady & Moss that taught him a lesson last year.

The guy appears to not have the cognitive ability to learn or to use any kind of discernment. He really appears to be pretty stupid to put it bluntly.

There have been other reports from the same beat writer that said that he ignores LeBeau as well, not just an offensive coach.

I agree 100%. I'm tired of A Smith. Big hits does not equal good football. If he were really any good at even being a "big hit" guy, he would have been a special teams demon over the last couple years, helping us win some games... instead he's taking cheap shots at teammates during no-contact drills. He's a "big hit" guy when no one else is playing the big hit game. When the whistle blows, he's either toasted, whiffing on a tackle by being out of place, or taking a 15 yard walkoff.

redst3
08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
As I have said once or twice when talking about this (dead horse alert), give me a good Mike Wagner text book tackle any day over a big hit. We all like it, and it makes a fine spectacle but the text book tackle gets the job done.

lilyoder6
08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
if ur bitching over someone hitting someone in a no-contract drill then ur sad.. it happens all the time, he just needs to control his intensity during pratice, but can't hate the guy 4 going all out evry play.

steelwall
08-07-2008, 11:03 AM
if ur bitching over someone hitting someone in a no-contract drill then ur sad.. it happens all the time, he just needs to control his intensity during pratice, but can't hate the guy 4 going all out evry play.

Incidental contact is understandable, laying the wood twice in one practice during "NO" contact drills is plain stupid, and without excuse. I think the coach in this case pretty much summed it up.

SteelMember
08-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Obviously, just my opinion, but let's start with this.If he had leveled Reid again, or Jeremy Bloom, etc. this isn't a big deal. But he hit Hines so some of us are calling for him to be released. That's all this is. Hopefully this kid get's his mind right and stops trying to initimidate his own teammates. Save it for Sunday's this year Smith.
Smith loves to jaw, and so does Hines for that matter. Hines, as we all know, backs it up come game time. Smith hasn't played too many games first of all, and the ones he has haven't been anything to write home about. That said, gives him nothing to back his "mouth" up with, so he must feel he has something to prove.

He has to start letting his "play" do the talking. The last thing we need is a player like MeAngelo Hall. I witness that crap every week in ATL.

Gotta give respect to get respect.:thumbsup:

Steeldude
08-07-2008, 11:21 AM
it's not a surprise at all. he will do it again and again. he is all about himself, not the team.

i hear the footsteps of the apologists coming. ETA in...:countdown:

:tt02:

BlastFurnace
08-07-2008, 11:32 AM

So if Smith drills Ben into the ground and Ben suffers a separated shoulder...it's just good hard football...right? Doesn't common sense come into play somewhere between the ears of Anthony Smith, or is that just asking too much.

revefsreleets
08-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Smith is LOADED with talent. The reports are that he moves like a CB, and that he's has what it takes athletically to be a great player.

But if he's a box of rocks and a headcase, he's doing us zero good. Thank God Clark is back.

Atlanta Dan
08-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Smith is LOADED with talent. The reports are that he moves like a CB, and that he's has what it takes athletically to be a great player.

But if he's a box of rocks and a headcase, he's doing us zero good. Thank God Clark is back.

Agreed - Smith may be "all combine" in terms of physical tools. But teeing off on a team leader in practice, after his crash and burn against New England, which came after his drum major prance following an INT for which LeBeau tore him a new one in 2006, confirms my suspicion he still does not get it. I do not know who the team leaders are who can tell Smith the facts of life (used to be Porter and Bettis), but it seems to me this has reached the point Tomlin needs to tell Smith he is going nowhere good with this act.

fansince'76
08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
it's not a surprise at all. he will do it again and again. he is all about himself, not the team.

i hear the footsteps of the apologists coming. ETA in...:countdown:

:tt02:

Not an apologist, but I do have a problem when people throw a guy under the bus for one bad game and continue to do so eight months after the fact. He pulled the same stuff in camp last year, but he was applauded for it, in fact, a few were calling Ced Wilson a crybaby and calling for him to be cut for bitching about the same thing last year that Smith just pulled on Hines. He knocks Chad Johnson's teeth out in a game towards the end of October, and he's applauded for it. Fact was and remains that he's been on most peoples' shit list since the aftermath of the Patriots game. If he truly doesn't have it in the brains department, and truly cannot mentally grasp the intricacies of playing the position, I have full confidence that the coaching staff will show him the door sooner rather than later.

missedgehead
08-07-2008, 12:53 PM
I think if he does not grow up and if he does NOT learn his place on the team, he should be cut.

Blitzburgh_Fever
08-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Not an apologist, but I do have a problem when people throw a guy under the bus for one bad game and continue to do so eight months after the fact. He pulled the same stuff in camp last year, but he was applauded for it, in fact, a few were calling Ced Wilson a crybaby and calling for him to be cut for bitching about the same thing last year that Smith just pulled on Hines. He knocks Chad Johnson's teeth out in a game towards the end of October, and he's applauded for it. Fact was and remains that he's been on most peoples' shit list since the aftermath of the Patriots game. If he truly doesn't have it in the brains department, and truly cannot mentally grasp the intricacies of playing the position, I have full confidence that the coaching staff will show him the door sooner rather than later.

Pretty much summed it up for me.

tony hipchest
08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I do not know who the team leaders are who can tell Smith the facts of life (used to be Porter and Bettis), but it seems to me this has reached the point Tomlin needs to tell Smith he is going nowhere good with this act.

isnt hampton the team leader on defense? :chuckle: troy? im sure farrior would be the one to step in and say something, but how do we know he wasnt laughing his ass off?

im sure theirs lots of jawing and smacktalk going on between ward and the defense in every practice. "boys being boys".

with that being said, it begs the question.... what is tomlins role in all of this? while everyones calling for smith to be cut, why is nobody blaming tomlin or lebeau?

now tomlin strikes me as the ultimate players coach, and lebeau seems like the softie who recites "twas the night before christmas" to his guys.

do we want a coach who is gonna cut smith? perhaps tomlin or lebeau just arent that guy.

i watched "hard knocks" with the cowboys. this same stuff is going on with roy williams and pretty much handled with a laugh. im sure many safeties have this "problem".

("roy williams sucks and is a piece of crap, who should be cut" comments soon to follow) i hate his horsecollar shennanigans but for some reason he keeps getting voted into the pro bowl every year.

revs is right about his physical ability. i hope he shows more ability from the neck up.

tony hipchest
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I think if he does not grow up and if he does NOT learn his place on the team, he should be cut.you mean like this second or are you giving this 3rd year player a timeframe?

Atlanta Dan
08-07-2008, 01:20 PM
now tomlin strikes me as the ultimate players coach, and lebeau seems like the softie who recites "twas the night before christmas" to his guys..

I respectfully disagree that Tomlin is a player's coach (although I agree LeBeau is) - a player's coach is Cowher just telling Plax "you owe me a good practice" after Plax tells Cowher he is late for practice because he was "tired" - think that would work with Tomlin?:chuckle:

Unless Tomlin wants live hitting of the receivers in camp (if you watch the 1975 episode of America's Game you see Mike Wagner saying that even the 70s Steelers cut out hitting the WRs in camp after Swann got popped his rookie year) telling Smith to cut the crap is in line with Hampton being put on PUP by Tomlin even though this aparently is not Hampton's first offseason of packing on the pounds.

If you want to be treated like "men" you need to behave like "men.":thumbsup:

St33lersguy
08-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Anyone want to guess the next WR Smith blows up in non-contact drills. :chuckle:

Seriously how stupid can a guy get when he lays out one of the Steelers all time great wideouts in a no contact drill?

43Hitman
08-07-2008, 02:43 PM

I understand where your coming from. But this is starting to look like a problem. I copied this from vrab's training camp notes.

Quote"On the near field, Ben hits Ward on a deep crossing pattern. Ward has tucked away the ball and is turning to go back to the line for the next play when Anthony Smith comes up and decks Ward. Iím furious. Now, I know Ward is no angel, but that was nothing short of a sucker punch. Ward stays on the ground for 10 seconds and the coaches immediately pull Smith off the field. The crowd is quite, but they coaches and players are across the field from us and I canít hear anything thatís said, but Tomlin goes over and I see flame coming out of his mouth. Then LeBeau goes to work on Smith." End Quote.

I have a real problem with someone taking sucker hits on one of our star wide-receivers. Blast me if you want 76, but your not going to convince me that Smith has not become a head case. What's gonna happen when Ben takes off on a draw or broken play in non-contact drills and Smith takes his head off, causing a concussion or even worse breaks something. Now I realize football is a contact sport and sometimes players get hurt. But it's bullshit when the players are getting decked in practice when their not expecting to.

BlastFurnace
08-07-2008, 02:45 PM

I don't think it was just the New England game that did him in last year. There was a very noticable dropoff in the secondary when Clark went on the injured list.

It's not that we won't applaud Anthony if he clocks Chad Johnson again, it's the lack of discernment he shows when dealing with his own teammates in non-contact drills at the beginning of training camp...where coaches are yelling at him more than once to quit.

I always liked Anthony Smith and was willing to give him a pass for getting burned by the best QB/WR combination the NFL has seen in a single season. I also hoped this season that we would see an Anthony Smith that woud listed to his coaches and become a better Safety...but so far, it hasn't appeared that way.

fansince'76
08-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Was watching FSN pittsburgh Stan Savrans show from camp. It appears that Smith laid Ward out in the 7 on 7 session this afternoon. Eyebrows were raised and there was a short interview with Ward....Nonetheless Ward did not look happy. They also commented that Smith has a history of hitting his own teammates like that at practice. Stan then said " it would be much better if he hit other players like that rather than chasing them down from behind into the end zone."

I'm not saying everyone is focusing on that one game, or even that the flak Smith's getting isn't largely deserved (it is), but it seems to me that with more than a few folks it is based largely, if not entirely, on that game. Comments like that of Savran's (above), which are obviously based on that one game, tick me off. I'll agree that if Smith doesn't shape up, and soon, that he'll need to ship out.

Steelerfreak58
08-07-2008, 04:24 PM
You can't fix stupid.

revefsreleets
08-07-2008, 04:34 PM
You can't fix stupid.
True dat!

I still can't help but think back to Troy's development. He made awful mistakes in his first year (including some cheap shots), and a lot of people thought he was going to be a bust. But he spent time learning and watching film, and we all know how that turned out. I was (and still am) hoping that he can get his head wrapped around his role and become a complete football player.

But the evidence so far just ain't good...

Texasteel
08-07-2008, 04:38 PM
As I have said once or twice when talking about this (dead horse alert), give me a good Mike Wagner text book tackle any day over a big hit. We all like it, and it makes a fine spectacle but the text book tackle gets the job done.

Wagner is one of my all time favorite, and IMO underated Steeler.

For those who didn't get to see him much, the man was a mechanic. He just knew how to play that position.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-07-2008, 04:57 PM

That game happens to be the big exclemation mark on his career thus far. We don't have much to base stuff on with him, a few games his rookie year with some big hits, a few picks (and showboating that wasn't well received from his coaches), and a few big wiffs on tackles. Then last year he comes out and decks some wideouts (mainly Reid, does he not like Ried?) and is aplauded for it. Partly because just about everyone's job was up for grabs last year.

Also last year he was burned on more than just the pass from Brady to Moss. He was out of position many times last year, so bad that he got himself replaced by Carter!

He follows that up with big-time contact in non-contact drills. I'm not talking about a light shove or getting tangled up...but deliberate hard blows. I have a feeling it was made known before practices started that non-contact means no-contact.

Then he waves off LeBeau after smashing Ried. Then he lays the wood on Hines, in a total cheap shot since Ward was headed back to the WR line.

So far, Smith was banned from practice after he first layed out Ried...he might not be back the rest of TC for his hit on Ward.

So no, it's not everyone on his case due to one game. We are on his case because the guy is effin retarded and shows no respect whatsoever for his coaches and teammates.

tony hipchest
08-07-2008, 05:08 PM
yeah, after reading vrabinec's first hand account (Wednesday's practice notes) i have to retract my "just boys being boys" take.

stillers4me
08-07-2008, 08:44 PM
True dat!

I still can't help but think back to Troy's development. He made awful mistakes in his first year (including some cheap shots), and a lot of people thought he was going to be a bust. But he spent time learning and watching film, and we all know how that turned out. I was (and still am) hoping that he can get his head wrapped around his role and become a complete football player.

The difference is that Troy has a few brain cells and this kid obviously doesn't.

rbryan
08-07-2008, 09:10 PM
OK, I'll buck the trends and stick up for this guy, granted he's a clown......So Far.... and he doesn't deserve for me to stick up for him, but HOPEFULLY this will finally sink in. At least its still preseason

You cannot teach someone to hit like a truck...... Theres just not a lot of humans capable of deliving a hit like him. This kid is Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, and John Lynch rolled into one when it comes to laying the wood.... if he can just wise up.

I'm still holding out hope.

NV STEELERS 723
08-07-2008, 09:15 PM
OK, I'll buck the trends and stick up for this guy, granted he's a clown......So Far.... and he doesn't deserve for me to stick up for him, but HOPEFULLY this will finally sink in. At least its still preseason

You cannot teach someone to hit like a truck...... Theres few players capable of deliving a hit like him. This kid is Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, and John Lynch rolled into one when it comes to laying the wood.... if he can just wise up.

rb he's a moron...I hope Hines lays him the wood like Hines can do in a "non contact drill 7 on 7 ".....Don't get mad ; get even has always worked awesome for me!...Smith better watch out!:sign11::sign11::sign11::sign11::sign11:

RoethlisBURGHer
08-07-2008, 09:21 PM

You cannot teach someone to hit like a truck...... Theres just not a lot of humans capable of deliving a hit like him. This kid is Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, and John Lynch rolled into one when it comes to laying the wood.... if he can just wise up.

I think all of us are holding out hope, but our patience is wearing thin. He has to stop trucking his teammates, especially in non-contact drills. God forbid he injures Ward today and we lose him for a few weeks or worse, the entire season.

What if the next guy he trucks is Big Ben and we lose Ben for the season? Batch can carry us through a few games, but not a season.

There is a reason coaches hold no and limited contact practices, to keep their own guys from getting hurt when it isn't a game.

Last year Tomlin & Co. let that shit fly, therefore us as fans loved it. But this year the coaches want non-contact in the non-contact drills, and Smith isn't listening to his coaches and waving them off. That's a massive sign of "Me Me Me" and disrespect to the coaching staff, and your teammates.

If he keeps that up, I will have absolutley no hope for him, except the hope that he gets cut.

He hasn't shown anything yet, except a few highlight hits and a lot of blown coverages, that would allow him to act this way. Not even vets like Farrior wave off Dick LeBeau. If Farrior hasn't earned that right, then not a damn person on this entire team has earned that right.

HometownGal
08-07-2008, 09:57 PM
True dat!

Unfortunately, sad but true. :shake02:

He needs to stop acting like a bad-assed punk and become a student of the Steelers way or I'm afraid Mr. Smith is going to find himself on the outside looking in. Save the intensity and brutal hits for the opponents, not your own teammates, Anthony.

Mosca
08-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Also remember that this year, training camp rosters are a lot smaller, and the vets have to take more reps, and that means they need to be thinking about health and injury risks from the increased exposure. That is probably a lot of the difference in attitude toward big hits between last year and this year; before, a couple rookies tangling it up was no biggie; but when everyone on the field is for real and not cannon fodder, it is a lot different. These are all guys we're going to need in week 14, after all.

Steel Pit
08-08-2008, 12:53 AM
As I recall, Smith was whacking Reid in last years camp as well. He and Reid must not get along for whatever reason, maybe Reid pinched Smith's girlfriends butt or something?????

I don't know, I'm not ready to give up on him just yet, I'm sure that Lambert, Lloyd and a host of others have whacked a teammate or two during practice drills but I'm also sure that they knocked the crap off after being scolded by a coach. I say that Smith will be cut if anything remotely close happens again.

The only thing that I don't understand about Smith is how he let's anyone get behind him as he did versus the Patriots. I mean the dude obviously loves to whack WR's. In order to do that he has to keep the WR in front of him.

LVSteelersfan
08-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Unfortunately we don't have much depth at that position. Do you all really want Tyrone Carter to be the backup? I think Smith stays because the Steelers don't have a choice but to keep him for depth.

lilyoder6
08-08-2008, 10:00 AM
shit happens, but u also can't go pus sy evry rep b/c then u get no good.. honestly the person is going to get hit like that during pre-season/ during the season so y not get hit like that once or twice a day to get back to the feeling?? it's football deal with it

Mosca
08-08-2008, 10:45 AM
shit happens, but u also can't go pus sy evry rep b/c then u get no good.. honestly the person is going to get hit like that during pre-season/ during the season so y not get hit like that once or twice a day to get back to the feeling?? it's football deal with it

I don't think that's the point. You don't really think that guys like Hines Ward and Anthony Smith need cheap shots in practice to stay sharp, do you? Of course not.

At the very most basic level it's disobedience and disrespect towards the coaches; "no contact" means no contact. Our million dollar guys need to have that time to get the steps and plays and timing down, without being clocked AFTER THE PLAY by their own guys, so that they CAN execute at full speed later. The coaches set it up this way on purpose, because that is what is best for the Steelers.

At the next level it's a lack of sense of team; it's "me" above "us". A Smith thinks getting his lick in is more important than H Ward getting injured and missing a couple games.

At the next level it's stupidity, for not being able to figure out the first two.

And finally it shows a lack of confidence; after 3 years, the guy still thinks he has to whack someone (well after the no contact play) to be sure he gets noticed. And if THAT is the case, then maybe he just isn't good enough in the other aspects of his game. A million dollar hitting machine with a ten cent head, to paraphrase Crash.

Or... and no one has mentioned this, but I bet some of us are thinking it... maybe he's just barely this side of being a thug.

jasonpirkle
08-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Anyone have a link to a video of the hit?

steelwall
08-08-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't think that's the point. You don't really think that guys like Hines Ward and Anthony Smith need cheap shots in practice to stay sharp, do you? Of course not.

At the very most basic level it's disobedience and disrespect towards the coaches; "no contact" means no contact. Our million dollar guys need to have that time to get the steps and plays and timing down, without being clocked AFTER THE PLAY by their own guys, so that they CAN execute at full speed later. The coaches set it up this way on purpose, because that is what is best for the Steelers.

At the next level it's a lack of sense of team; it's "me" above "us". A Smith thinks getting his lick in is more important than H Ward getting injured and missing a couple games.

At the next level it's stupidity, for not being able to figure out the first two.

And finally it shows a lack of confidence; after 3 years, the guy still thinks he has to whack someone (well after the no contact play) to be sure he gets noticed. And if THAT is the case, then maybe he just isn't good enough in the other aspects of his game. A million dollar hitting machine with a ten cent head, to paraphrase Crash.

Or... and no one has mentioned this, but I bet some of us are thinking it... maybe he's just barely this side of being a thug.

Great post, hit the nail right on the head ..:thumbsup:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Anyone have a link to a video of the hit?

Haven't found a video but but here an article with a photo. One usually doesn't see Ward in this position.

http://postgazette.com/pg/08220/902472-66.stm

lilyoder6
08-08-2008, 09:44 PM
rly? our million dollar guys need that time 2 know the steps? they should alrdy know them unless ur a rookie.. i mean it's the same off from last yr so they should know the plays...

Atlanta Dan
08-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Gene Collier of the P-G thinks it is time for Smith to say goodbye

This week's training camp thuggery at the expense of one of the franchise's most decorated veterans smells to me like strike three. There was a time in Smith's alleged development when his wealth of athleticism and general disregard for the safety of himself and opponents was thought to be manageable by a veteran coaching staff. But Smith just doesn't listen....

Waning depth at safety will likely keep Anthony Smith around for awhile, which just as likely means, again, somebody's going to get hurt. If I know Hines Ward, it might be Anthony Smith.:chuckle:

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08222/903121-150.stm

Mosca
08-09-2008, 07:59 AM
rly? our million dollar guys need that time 2 know the steps? they should alrdy know them unless ur a rookie.. i mean it's the same off from last yr so they should know the plays...

It was the coaching staff's decision to make that part of practice non-contact, not mine. I'm sure that if they thought it was more important to get used to the hitting, they would have made it a contact drill instead.

lilyoder6
08-09-2008, 02:39 PM
other than playing against air there is no such thing as an non-contact drill.. there will always be contact and the coaches should know that..

Mosca
08-09-2008, 06:13 PM
LOL, call them up and tell them to lay off Anthony, then; or better yet, go down to camp and tell them yourself! Because you aren't really arguing with me, you're arguing with the coaches who freaked out on him, both Tomlin and Lebeau!

Preacher
08-11-2008, 11:02 PM
So sad.

I loved this kid... he had (has) great ball-hawking skills...

I guess his knuckleheadedness is just about to get the better of him.

Steeldude
08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
other than playing against air there is no such thing as an non-contact drill.. there will always be contact and the coaches should know that..

there are varying degrees of contact.

there is also a difference between knowing you are going to get hit and not knowing. they expect it in pre-season and regular, but not when the coach says it's a non-contact drill.

your starters shouldn't look like this :injured: after practice is over.

time for smith to pull his head out of his ass.