PDA

View Full Version : Rookies chance to shine

DACEB
08-08-2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/local_story_220235024.html

Offensive line: Justin Hartwig (62) is winning the center position, but won’t start tonight. Chris Kemoeatu (68) is the massive left guard who could spark an extension offer from the front office with a good showing.

Defensive line: Last year’s fourth-round pick, Ryan McBean (95), needs to show more, something, in the preseason games or he’ll be cut. He’s athletic, but is being outperformed by Nick Eason, among others. The DL spot on the practice squad is being contested by Martavius Prince (96) and Kyle Clement (67).

Linebacker: Lawrence Timmons (94) is superior athletically to Larry Foote, but must show the ability to take on blocks in the run game. Timmons will probably play some OLB tonight, but that’s only to gain experience for emergencies. Sixth-round pick ILB Mike Humpal (55) has some speed for an Iowa boy. The two-time state wrestling champ was also state runner-up in the high hurdles. Keyaron Fox (57) is a special-teams coverage ace with a chance to crack the 53. LaMarr Woodley (56) is a 15-sack stud waiting to happen. Bruce Davis (53) will back up James Harrison and show off his pass-rush skills. The coaches will be watching him cover, though.

Secondary: Tyrone Carter will start at SS, but is on the bubble if sixth-round pick Ryan Mundy (29) shows he’s better in games than he’s shown in camp. William Gay (22) might be the key to the front office’s decision on whether to extend Bryant McFadden’s contract. The aforementioned Lewis (30) is playing safety and corner and could push both Carter and Mundy for a roster spot.

Should be interesting. McBean had better get on the ball, I'll be looking for him and Clement on the D-line. Paxson and Prince should see plenty of time also with Hampton out.

Donovan McNabb, meet Mr. Woodley!

I'll also be looking for our next safety, 'cause Carter must go!

Keep your eyes peeled for our future center, Stapleton!

Haiku_Dirtt
08-08-2008, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=DACEB;420218][url] I'll also be looking for our next safety, 'cause Carter must go!
QUOTE]

Dude is battery acid.

The Duke
08-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Donovan McNabb, meet Mr. Woodley!

oh yeah, poor mcnabb

don't injure him woodley, he's very fragile. just beat the life out of him enough as he doesn't want to come back to the field and cries on the sideline :tt03:

DACEB
08-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Ryan McBean (95), needs to show more, something, in the preseason games or he’ll be cut. He’s athletic, but is being outperformed by Nick Eason, among others. The DL spot on the practice squad is being contested by Martavius Prince (96) and Kyle Clement (67).

Well McBean showed he was athletic and not much more, Eason showed just as much hustle and looked much better in the role of DE.

Reffett and Clement looked good while they were on the field, Prince... not so much. I thought Reffett looked very good. I'd like to see the DE's on the field earlier in the game against stiffer competition.

The Duke
08-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Reffett and Clement looked good while they were on the field, Prince... not so much. I thought Reffett looked very good. I'd like to see the DE's on the field earlier in the game against stiffer competition.

yeah, they looked good, but we'll get a better idea of how ood they are if they play earlier

I'm hoping at least one of them makes the roster

rbryan
08-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Fox was all over the field. Theres gonna be some tough decisions to made at LB, but you'd have to think theres a spot for him.

I guess he's not a rookie per say but he's a Steeler rookie

lilyoder6
08-09-2008, 02:30 PM
fox showed real good open field tackles.. he'll be a good st player 4 us

DACEB
08-09-2008, 05:57 PM
fox showed real good open field tackles.. he'll be a good st player 4 us

He did look good in space, not so great in traffic, but he looked good in coverage and showed a quickness to close and did tackle well.

We need a thumper at ILB, to play with Timmons in the future. Humpal could be that guy after a year on the practice squad and strength & conditioning.

Texasteel
08-09-2008, 06:18 PM
He did look good in space, not so great in traffic, but he looked good in coverage and showed a quickness to close and did tackle well.

We need a thumper at ILB, to play with Timmons in the future. Humpal could be that guy after a year on the practice squad and strength & conditioning.

Don't know the rules on practice squad very well. If Humpal is put on the practice squad, what are the chances we lose him?

DACEB
08-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Don't know the rules on practice squad very well. If Humpal is put on the practice squad, what are the chances we lose him?

Anyone on the practice squad is unprotected. I would imagine the player would notify the team that another team is interested and at that time it would be up to the team to make a decision. The team would need to cut a player if they felt the need or value for the future in signing the practice squad player.