PDA

View Full Version : Has Maddox sealed his fate for next year?

SteelerFanInATL
11-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Will Maddox be in the NFL next year??????

soniczilla
11-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Will Maddox be in the NFL next year??????

I don't see how he has any chance to remain with the team. The two games speak for themselves: we can't win with Tommy Maddox. We can with Batch, but not Tommy. Time to find a replacement.

SteelerFanInATL
11-21-2005, 08:28 AM
What I don't understand is how we won with him a couple years ago. He was more accurate than lately, but he was still not a mobile QB. Was the O line better then, who knows.

Ambridge
11-21-2005, 09:13 AM
What I don't understand is how we won with him a couple years ago. He was more accurate than lately, but he was still not a mobile QB. Was the O line better then, who knows.

I think Maddox had success when he did because he hadn't played at all as a starter until that point and opposing teams were still figuring him out.

Along with that I don't think he's ever been the same since that Tennessee game where he was carted off the field.

Suitanim
11-21-2005, 09:57 AM
Let's just say there will be one more place to get a car insurance quote in Pittsburgh next year...

Atlanta Dan
11-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Steelers can cut Maddox after this year without taking a major salary cap hit on the signing bonus he received several years ago and no team will pick him up since he can no longer play.

Assuming Ben comes back next week, Batch will heal up after Indy and Tommy Gun has taken his last snap in teh NFL.

SteelersGirlTN7
11-21-2005, 10:50 AM
I think Maddox had success when he did because he hadn't played at all as a starter until that point and opposing teams were still figuring him out.

Along with that I don't think he's ever been the same since that Tennessee game where he was carted off the field.

I agree! Keith Bulluck knocked all the football sense out of him!

steelcurtain101
11-21-2005, 10:51 AM
i was really happy to see batch play then when he got hurt i hoped they would put anybody in accept maddox . yes he was good a couple of years ago but since then nothing
no help what so ever he is a pocket passer but cannot pass . i strongly believe the steelers should only have one loss this year to the pats otherwise both overtime games we shouldve won . we had chances to win both of them in my opinion they shouldnt have went to overtime if we have to rely on a backup like maddox we need to put randle el in instead

steelers fan in raven country come on guys

RoethlisBURGHer
11-21-2005, 11:43 AM
Truthfully,I don't think Maddox has really been that "good" for a while.He lead the team to a 6-10 season,somehow won that game against the Raiders last year,and got his ass kicke din the first Ravens game last year.

After this year,Turnover Tommy is gonna be selling car insurance again.

AvoidLLoyd95
11-21-2005, 01:40 PM
i was really happy to see batch play then when he got hurt i hoped they would put anybody in accept maddox . yes he was good a couple of years ago but since then nothing
no help what so ever he is a pocket passer but cannot pass . i strongly believe the steelers should only have one loss this year to the pats otherwise both overtime games we shouldve won . we had chances to win both of them in my opinion they shouldnt have went to overtime if we have to rely on a backup like maddox we need to put randle el in instead

steelers fan in raven country come on guys
Welcome aboard. I think Maddox can pass allright, he just has to have ALOT of time to do it. Unfortunately the game is too fast for him now and he has gone by the wayside. I like Tommy, but it is time for him to fade out.

Rotorhead
11-21-2005, 01:51 PM
With all the QB troubles teams are having this year, I wouldnt be surprised to see him picked up by another team as a 3rd stringer. But he better not be with the Steelers!

Prosdo
11-21-2005, 01:54 PM
I don't see him wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers uniform next year. His accuracy isn't very good and he has been making poor decisions. He very well could go play on another team, but not as a starter.

Randle el#82
11-21-2005, 02:04 PM
why did we let Maddox throw the ball 36 times?we dont do it with ben...i understand that they wanted to stop the run but we only let Parker run the ball 3 times in the 1st half and in the 2nd half we gave him 15 carries? i dont see why we stop doin what we do best and thats running the ball to let Maddox throw the game away for us

Grey
11-21-2005, 02:39 PM
why did we let Maddox throw the ball 36 times?we dont do it with ben...i understand that they wanted to stop the run but we only let Parker run the ball 3 times in the 1st half and in the 2nd half we gave him 15 carries? i dont see why we stop doin what we do best and thats running the ball to let Maddox throw the game away for us

It's the curse of playing TommY Maddox. All of the sudden, the whole dynamic of the offense needs to change to accomodate his poor playing style. The defense STACKS UP against the run, forcing us to pass, then they rush straight to the middle of the pocket, because they know he'll be there standing like a scared idiot waiting to take the sack. It's a bad, bad cycle.

Thankfully, you will NEVER see Tommy Maddox on the football field again (please stay healthy Ben, please?) No one, will pick him up, he is a proven loser . . . no heart, no drive, waning skills.

Here we go.
Grey

BB2W
11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
I hope all you Tommy Bum supporters are done now. :pity:

That game reminded me so much of 2003. The only thing he ever did was save us from Kordell...

BlitzburghRockCity
11-21-2005, 06:09 PM
Steelers can cut Maddox after this year without taking a major salary cap hit on the signing bonus he received several years ago and no team will pick him up since he can no longer play.

Assuming Ben comes back next week, Batch will heal up after Indy and Tommy Gun has taken his last snap in teh NFL.

Exactly, he has a very friendly cap arrangement which was another benefit to keep him this long..

He was decent if not serviceable after the titans game..but ever since Ben took his job, even coming in, in spot duty has been asking too much.

theclanc
11-21-2005, 06:11 PM
:puke:YUCK !!!! Even saying Kordell makes me puke.

Let's face it guys. Between Terry and Ben our luck with quarterbacks have benn so/so at best. One of my worst memories is the Superbowl surrounded by a bunch of Dallas fans and watching Neil throw such horrible interceptions you swear he went color blind and couldn't figure out who his teammates were.

theclanc
11-21-2005, 06:15 PM

Baltimore can the stop the Steelers running game cold for some reason. To score anything Tommy had to throw. When we played them the first time this year Ben threw alot in that game also.

Atlanta Dan
11-21-2005, 06:16 PM
If they are playing a 4-4 with an aggressive pass rush, everyone is in single coverage. With a competent passer, you pass because you have lots of wide open shots, like the 30 yard completion to Ward that would have been a TD if the ball had not been so badly underthrown or the 4th and 1 fiasco where 2 receivers were not covered.

With Tommy Gun you get a QB who does not anticipate a rush when it does come and falls down in anticipation of a rush that does not come. Throwing the passes was an arrogant refusal by Cowher and Wiesenhunt to admit Maddox can no longer play - should have run the ball more and hoped Parker might break a few.

Only reasons the game was not a blowout were that the Ravens were offside on Tommy Gun's 3rd Q fumble that was run back to the 1 yard line and that Kyle Boeller is a 25 year old version of Maddox.

At least we know Maddox is gone; imagine being a Ravens fan and watching your team invest a #1 draft choice and several lost seasons on Boeller.

theclanc
11-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Good point there Atlanta Dan. I only got to watch highlights on the game on ESPN. Not much of a game anyway.

WE"LL GET THE COLTS ON MONDAY ANYWAYS!!!

clevestinks
11-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Maddox was great, BECAUSE he replaced Kordell Stewart here, Hell Mark Malone would have been great if he had to follow up Kordell. We were so desperate for a good qb, so called Tommy Gun , the Gun Slinger should up, and we all went Ape Shit over him!

SteelCityMan786
11-21-2005, 10:44 PM
The O Line Hates Maddox. At The End OF This Year I can sense these following words or words that mean the same coming from Tommy.

Because Of Problems I had on the field and my inablity to win games I have decided to retire.

Or From Mr. Rooney.

Maddox..............YOUR FIRED

Randle el#82
11-21-2005, 10:59 PM
Baltimore can the stop the Steelers running game cold for some reason. To score anything Tommy had to throw. When we played them the first time this year Ben threw alot in that game also.

yes i understand that but why only let parker get the ball 3 times in the first half why not try to do 50-50 run and pass or atleast try to make more attempts

theclanc
11-21-2005, 11:04 PM
"yes i understand that but why only let parker get the ball 3 times in the first half why not try to do 50-50 run and pass or atleast try to make more attempts"

That is a mystery. I wonder what Bill was thinking and why he played the game like he did.
And please excuse my ignorance on this next question, but where was the Bus? The game wasn't on TV down where I live and didn't see the game.

cpollock
11-22-2005, 12:02 AM
Ok .. I have a question for you guys ... They gave Tommy a $ 2 million signing bonus last year and a 2 year extension to his contract .. I believe that he still has a MIN of 4 years left what does that mean in the scheme of things ?

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-22-2005, 12:02 AM
Maddox will be playing somewhere else and we be carting him off of our field when we paralyze his ass from the neck down.

SteelerFanInATL
11-22-2005, 08:10 AM
Truthfully,I don't think Maddox has really been that "good" for a while.He lead the team to a 6-10 season,somehow won that game against the Raiders last year,and got his ass kicke din the first Ravens game last year.

After this year,Turnover Tommy is gonna be selling car insurance again.

That 6-10 season was not his fault. That was the year we didn't know who was going to play on the offensive line from play to play. In turn everything suffered, running and passing. I'm not saying Maddox has not stunk up the place lately but that year was not his fault.

SteelerFanInATL
11-22-2005, 08:33 AM

Two thing factor into this:

1. With the defense set up to stop the run no back was going anywhere. This is not the first time Parker has looked like he did this year. Everyone talks about his fast start, but he didn't play against anybody. Parker is fast and I think he will have a future as a change of pace back, but he lacks power to run inside. Power running like we are used to seeing. With the running game gone, now its time to pass the ball.

2. Maddox is not the fastest guy or very mobile in the pocket. So when forced to pass there is not a whole he is going to do. Take note on how Ben and Batch can get away from pressure, not Tommy. He had several tipped passes and sacks because of this. In the second half when he had protection he did better with his passing. Teams know that he can't get out of the pocket so they bring the pressure.

Suitanim
11-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Parker didn't get starting RB carries because he's obviously still a little gimpy. Bettis can't (nor does he want to) carry the ball 25 times a game. Obviously the gameplan was to surprise the Ravens by throwing the ball to A) Take advantage of them stacking the box and B) Protect our RB's from having to carry the ball too much when it's clear they weren't 100% healthy.

I think, all things considered, it was a decent gameplan. If just about any other QB in the NFL was here to attempt to carry it out, we would have won by a couple TD's. Even with Maddox it almost qorked...

steelcurtain101
11-22-2005, 11:43 AM
i just hope that big ben can stay healthy he is the sheppard for steelers offense