PDA

View Full Version : Who do we sign for Batch?

steeltheone
08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Mike Quinn would probably be on the short list......

aclark99
08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
With Charlie out for the season according to ESPN, who do the Steelers look at to back-up Ben?

Will it be Culpeper, Holcomb (knows the offense), Stewart, or someone else!!

I wouldn't mind seeing Culpeper in our offense. Could be a nice pickup for our backup QB.

ShutDown24
08-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Maddox! =P

The Duke
08-08-2008, 10:33 PM
trade for favre :chuckle:

fordfan485
08-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Kordell Stewart! j/k

HometownGal
08-08-2008, 10:36 PM
With Charlie out for the season according to ESPN, who do the Steelers look at to back-up Ben?

I wouldn't mind seeing Culpeper in our offense. Could be a nice pickup for our backup QB.

Don't know where ESPN is getting their info from, but KDKA has Charlie out for 4-6 weeks tops. I guess we'll find out in short order.

ShutDown - if Maddox hadn't screwed up his elbow and could return to his 2003 form, I'd rather have him as our backup than just about any other backup in the league.

Hapa
08-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Culpepper used to be frickin amazing

fansince'76
08-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Don't know where ESPN is getting their info from, but KDKA has Charlie out for 4-6 weeks tops.

I'll take KDKA's word over the "Disney Channel's" any day of the week.

lilyoder6
08-08-2008, 10:39 PM
a broken collarbone doesn't always mean he would be out 4 the whole season.. but still dixon showed he did pretty good.. but like u said there is duante and byron leftwich out there as well.. but players like that prob wouldn't want 2 come b/c they know they are only #2 til batch comes back

OneForTheToe
08-08-2008, 10:40 PM
I'll take KDKA's word over the "Disney Channel's" any day of the week.

Was it Hanna Montana reporting?

stillers4me
08-08-2008, 10:40 PM
trade for favre :chuckle:

:toofunny:

tony hipchest
08-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Don't know where ESPN is getting their info from, but KDKA has Charlie out for 4-6 weeks tops. I guess we'll find out in short order.

ShutDown - if Maddox hadn't screwed up his elbow and could return to his 2003 form, I'd rather have him as our backup than just about any other backup in the league.unless he caught the "ghey" while he was "out".

id take pep or leftwich. even harrington.

hopefully we wouldnt need any back up but i think any of these guys can keep the season alive.

Atlanta Dan
08-08-2008, 10:41 PM
This is the espn.com report (posted one hour ago) - i woiuld be surprised that diagnosis changed in the last hour

The Pittsburgh Steelers had their first major injury of the 2008 season Friday night as backup quarterback Charlie Batch suffered a fractured right collarbone during their preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Batch was hurt while scrambling with just under six minutes to go in the second quarter. Typically, this type of injury can take somewhere between 4-8 weeks to recover.

This could be a significant blow to Pittsburgh's depth. Ben Roethlisberger is set as the starter, but the team is one play away from having to go with rookie quarterback Dennis Dixon, a fifth-round pick from Oregon.

Batch has been a reliable backup in the NFL for 11 years, including the past four years in Pittsburgh. Now the Steelers likely will be in the market for another veteran signal caller to backup Roethlisberger.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp08/news/story?id=3526448

fansince'76
08-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Was it Hanna Montana reporting?

Wouldn't be surprised if it was.

SteelCityMan786
08-08-2008, 10:43 PM

Listen to KDKA over ESPN.

MDSteel15
08-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Kordell said he's still available!

The Duke
08-08-2008, 10:47 PM
Kordell said he's still available!

available for what for a man? :flap:

MDSteel15
08-08-2008, 10:48 PM

Yeah, thanks to MOSS! He couldn't hit my barn!

BlastFurnace
08-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Cullpepper
Leftwich
Kelly Holcombe - I think he retired this offseason, but I still think he can play...and who knows...maybe he needs the money.
Aaron Brooks - I'm reaching really low now.

MDSteel15
08-08-2008, 10:50 PM
available for what for a man? :flap:

Take him over everyone else been mentioned....

BlastFurnace
08-08-2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah, thanks to MOSS! He couldn't hit my barn!

Be honest though, he has played for the Dolphins and Raiders since. Not exactly competitive teams.

fansince'76
08-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Batch was hurt while scrambling with just under six minutes to go in the second quarter. Typically, this type of injury can take somewhere between 4-8 weeks to recover.

So with the rest of preseason, we're looking at about 4 weeks into the regular season without Batch as backup in a worst-case scenario.

millwalldavey
08-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Is Charlie Frye available? Or Tim Couch?

hehehehehehehehehe

MDSteel15
08-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Be honest though, he has played for the Dolphins and Raiders since. Not exactly competitive teams.

True but even in MInnesota after Moss was gone, he went downhill.

OneForTheToe
08-08-2008, 10:56 PM
Tomlin said that they are discussing getting a vetern QB. though he said they probably wouldn't put Batch on the disabled list.

Atlanta Dan
08-08-2008, 10:58 PM
P-G posted this 10 minutes ago so the out for the season story is conjecture

There was no immediate word on how long Batch would be out but it probably would be at least a month and likely more.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08221/902994-66.stm

Hopefully back by week 4 or so (bye week is week 6)

fansince'76
08-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Is Charlie Frye available? Or Tim Couch?

hehehehehehehehehe

I want future HoFer JOHN KUHN! I'm sure he can pass too! :chuckle:

HometownGal
08-08-2008, 11:00 PM
How about Tim Couch? :chuckle::tomato:

Atlanta Dan
08-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Tomlin said that they are discussing getting a vetern QB. though he said they probably wouldn't put Batch on the disabled list.

So Tomlin apparently doesn't care to gamble on a Ben steps in for Maddox scenario by putting the chips on Dixon if Ben goes down?

I guess we look for lots of max protection blocking scheme work and having Ben continue to work on getting rid of the ball to avoid sacks the rest of preseason

BlastFurnace
08-08-2008, 11:02 PM
How about Tim Couch? :chuckle::tomato:

I'll take him over what we currently have.

19ward86
08-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Terry Bradshaw?

Haiku_Dirtt
08-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Dennis Dixon was as close to the BSC Title and Heisman as one could get. And I saw nothing tonight to suggest he wasn't all of that at Oregon.

If we want any hope of winning (if Ben goes down) then a QB in the Dixon mold is quick, evasive and comfortable out of the pocket. Since pockets are what we don't do well having the defense chasing your young ambitious QB like a Casey Hampton chasing a chicken in the backfield all game long might be the doctors order.

IMHO anyone the Steelers will pay to replace Batch will have little chance of competing with the former Duck on the football field. The playbook is a different story.

Wolverine fan is still dumbstruck.

OneForTheToe
08-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Maybe "Frenchie" will get cut in Arizona? The fourth time is the charm.

Edman
08-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Sign Mike Tomczak!:chuckle:

I dunno, Byron Leftwich? He doesn't TOTALLY suck...or not.

Give It To Abercrombie
08-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Anyone consider that the maybe 10-11 win season we can have with Ben and a really tough schedule is a goner regardless of who is second string? I love the team and think we can go make some real noise this year. Not convinced we can do it without #7. So what does it matter who #2 is, if Ben goes down.....

I hate to be negative, but honestly.....someone to fill in one game or two maybe but any lengthy injury to Ben and we're playing from behind the 8-ball.

fordfan485
08-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Anyone consider that the maybe 10-11 win season we can have with Ben and a really tough schedule is a goner regardless of who is second string? I love the team and think we can go make some real noise this year. Not convinced we can do it without #7. So what does it matter who #2 is, if Ben goes down.....

I hate to be negative, but honestly.....someone to fill in one game or two maybe but any lengthy injury to Ben and we're playing from behind the 8-ball.

At least if he does go down we also have a stronger running game this year to fall back on with Parker and Mendenhall splitting carries.

revefsreleets
08-08-2008, 11:24 PM
No one. We sign no one.

All of a sudden drafting Dixon looks like a great pick, and signing some shit-heel journeyman QB off the scrap pile isn't the answer.

We have 4 QB's on the roster, and this probably just means Potts stays on the team a few weeks longer.

Depth chart:
1- Ben
2- Dixon
3- Potts

Batch is back at 2 in 6 weeks.

MDSteel15
08-08-2008, 11:33 PM
No one. We sign no one.

All of a sudden drafting Dixon looks like a great pick, and signing some shit-heel journeyman QB off the scrap pile isn't the answer.

We have 4 QB's on the roster, and this probably just means Potts stays on the team a few weeks longer.

Depth chart:
1- Ben
2- Dixon
3- Potts

Shazzam!!!!

tony hipchest
08-08-2008, 11:36 PM
No one. We sign no one.

Depth chart:
1- Ben
2- Dixon
3- Potts

Batch is back at 2 in 6 weeks.well, atleast ben has already had his appendix removed. i hope his gall bladder holds up until we KNOW batch is fully healed.

i love dixons potential, but not as musch as i loved batch's experience, and proven worth.

didnt batch lead into tonights tackle with his throwing shoulder. (i didnt record the game but i think it was)

OneForTheToe
08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Four words - Hines Ward option quarterback.:thumbsup:

Steely McSmash
08-08-2008, 11:40 PM
Depth chart:
1- Ben
2- Dixon
3- Potts

I think the # 3 job in the long run is Dixon's to lose based on his potential.

I think they'll bring in another QB with game experience to camp to compete and may cut Potts. If Ben goes down the experienced guy would be the starter until Ben or Charlie comes back. Once Charlie comes back the journeyman goes and someone from the practice squad comes up to the roster.

Alternately Potts could hang out on the practice squad until Batch returns.

BlastFurnace
08-08-2008, 11:51 PM
No one. We sign no one.

Depth chart:
1- Ben
2- Dixon
3- Potts

I'm about to get sick after reading this. Dixon as a #2 is downright scarry.

RoethlisBURGHer
08-08-2008, 11:54 PM
This makes me wish we still had Randle El on the team.

Dodt
08-09-2008, 01:07 AM
any chance ryan leaf isn't to busy to fill in or maybe we can get adam sandler he is such a great player both offensively and defensively.

OneForTheToe
08-09-2008, 01:11 AM
No one. We sign no one.

Depth chart:
1- Ben
2- Dixon
3- Potts

But we don't know for sure that Batch will be ready to play in 6 weeks. Plus, even if his body has healed it might take a while to get back in football shape. Look ... I love Charlie (in a manly football way), but he isn't 25 years old nor has he ever been exactly a physical wonder. The Steelers would be wise to sign another QB with some experience just in case Ben goes down and Charlie isn't back.

Leftwich, or maybe even Carr, if he is released (as suggested on the Nightly Sports Call on the CW) would give the Steelers some flexibility. I really don't understand why anyone would be against that.

billybob
08-09-2008, 01:12 AM

omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ricksteelers55
08-09-2008, 01:23 AM
what about Lorenzen? He got released from the Giants last month so he could be a decent backup and once Chuck is back we move him to FB,he's already 280 + pounds he could do a good job ;)

NV STEELERS 723
08-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Terry Bradshaw?

Or Cliff Stoudt? !

Steeldude
08-09-2008, 03:28 AM
well they need to sign someone quick. BR is the only QB on the roster. they will cut potts and most likely retain dixon. i don't want to see a WR playing QB again.

no to culpepper. no need for a cancer who can't play QB without moss catching his lobs.

volek
holcombe

steeltheone
08-09-2008, 04:00 AM

ShutDown - if Maddox hadn't screwed up his elbow and could return to his 2003 form, I'd rather have him as our backup than just about any other backup in the league.

I agree!!!!

steeltheone
08-09-2008, 04:03 AM
Forgot about Holcombe. He would be my pick.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Chad Pennington?
Culpepper?

stillers4me
08-09-2008, 06:47 AM
Anyone who thinks if Ben goes down the season is over anyway is freaking fooling themselves. If it weren't for Charlie Batch, the thumb would still be ringless, folks. He started , was it 3 games?, while Ben had knee surgery in the middle of the season and we squeeked into the playoffs and went on to win a Superbowl as a sixth seed! If we would have lost even one of those games with Charlie at the helm, the Colts would probably own Lombardi #40 and that fatass in Seattle would be whining about something else.

Charlie is way overlooked in that journey to XL.....but he's my hero. Get well soon, Charlie!

GBMelBlount
08-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Byron Leftwich, a former starter for the Jacksonville Jaguars and Atlanta Falcons, is scheduled to arrive in Pittsburgh for a workout today and possibly sign with the Steelers. Atlanta released Leftwich, 28, in February.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08222/903126-66.stm

Batch should be back in six weeks and Dixon, though he will take a while to learn the system and transition, played well imo. Personally I am not overly concerned.

Crushzilla
08-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Steelers.com says between 4-6 weeks. If that's true, then he'll be back... what... week 2?

You don't need to bring a guy in. Dixon is a fine back-up in the meantime.

Leftwich is a decent play-action artist, but has glass ankles. He has repeatedly lost his job to QBs that were supposed to be below his caliber.

With Tim Couch nipping at his heals, Carr MAY BE the front runner for the... ahem... esteemed title of biggest bust. That's for a number of reasons, but I don't really think David Carr is any better or worse than what he have now!

Culpepper was never really that good. He isn't even a career .500 QB.

I WOULDN'T mind seeing Volek, as someone suggested, but he's still signed with the Superchargers, I believe.

Let Dixon ride at #2 for a while, give him plenty of action in these games, and he'll be a fine back-up if, God forbid, Ben goes down.

The Lakelander
08-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Daunte Culpepper would be a solid choice for several reasons:

1. He virtually won the starting job in Oakland last season by virtue of his very solid pre-season success (4 TD's in limited action). The job was given to McClown and C-Pep was totally jobbed by the rook coach Kiffin. I watched this go down personally because I was really pulling for C-Pep.

2. C-Pep plays big. He is big. He has a cannon arm and he can move out of the pocket and even run with it. LB's must account for that aspect of him.

3. C-Pep willingly signed last season with Oakland for the NFL minimum. He knew the odds were slim against him after the team drafted JaMarcus Russell. It is possible C-Pep would be much cheaper than Leftwich, which matters much if Batch can return after the bye week.

4. Our WR's are the best group C-Pep would have to work with since Moss and Carter. The argument is lame that he can't hit the broadside of a barn.

stillers4me
08-09-2008, 08:47 AM
I don't think it's a bad idea to bring someone in even with Dixon. Have you forgotten the "04 season????

Galax Steeler
08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Leftwich wouln't be a bad pickup if we need someone but I expect Batch back around the start of the season.

Crushzilla
08-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Daunte Culpepper would be a solid choice for several reasons:

1. He virtually won the starting job in Oakland last season by virtue of his very solid pre-season success (4 TD's in limited action). The job was given to McClown and C-Pep was totally jobbed by the rook coach Kiffin. I watched this go down personally because I was really pulling for C-Pep.

2. C-Pep plays big. He is big. He has a cannon arm and he can move out of the pocket and even run with it. LB's must account for that aspect of him.

3. C-Pep willingly signed last season with Oakland for the NFL minimum. He knew the odds were slim against him after the team drafted JaMarcus Russell. It is possible C-Pep would be much cheaper than Leftwich, which matters much if Batch can return after the bye week.

4. Our WR's are the best group C-Pep would have to work with since Moss and Carter. The argument is lame that he can't hit the broadside of a barn.

I didn't know that. Generally, many veterans won't settle for veteran minimum.

If we could get a guy cheap, then why the hell not.

revefsreleets
08-09-2008, 10:48 AM
(Ducks) What's Tommy Maddox doing these days:doh:

fansince'76
08-09-2008, 10:50 AM
(Ducks) What's Tommy Maddox doing these days:doh:

http://www.gapsurance.com/images/allstate-logo3_rm7t.gif

SteelersTilIDie
08-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Do you think the Steelers might consider signing Daunte Culpepper for the injured Batch?
:noidea:

rbryan
08-09-2008, 11:46 AM
I kinda lump him in the same category as Leftwich. His best days are behind him and they still think they warrant starters $. Thats the only reason those two are still available. When Pennington is a much better option than those two, that tells you something.

xfl2001fan
08-09-2008, 11:48 AM
I know I'm a Browns fan...but try to listen to the logic.

Batch is only out for 4-6 weeks, which puts you guys at around W2 of the season.

Dixon will get a lot more reps now (both in practice and in preseason) with the #2 guys, allowing him to get more familiar with the playbook and to form a better raport with the #2s.

Batch can still be a QB Coach (like he has been for Ben and Dixon to this point.)

What does signing Culpepper do for your team? He has to take time to learn the terminology, the playbook, the players, etc... He hasn't played particularly well these last few seasons...granted with crappy teams...but still.

The Steelers really don't gain much by bringing him in. He's probably looking for a longer term investment (more than 1 season) and hoping to compete for a starting job.

I just don't see how he could help either Ben, Dixon or the Steelers in general out.

BlastFurnace
08-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I wouldn't mind Cullpepper at all. Since leaving Minnesota, he has played on two awful teams with terrible receivers. When Randy left Minnesota, he was left with Moe, Larry, and Curly as his options.

IMO, he used to be very good and still has enough talent to play in the league. We need someone here to backup Ben because Ben gets hammered so much from the pass rush.

Personally, Cullpepper or Holcomb are my 1 and 1A choices right now.

BlastFurnace
08-09-2008, 11:51 AM
I know I'm a Browns fan...but try to listen to the logic.

Batch is only out for 4-6 weeks, which puts you guys at around W2 of the season.

Dixon will get a lot more reps now (both in practice and in preseason) with the #2 guys, allowing him to get more familiar with the playbook and to form a better raport with the #2s.

Batch can still be a QB Coach (like he has been for Ben and Dixon to this point.)

What does signing Culpepper do for your team? He has to take time to learn the terminology, the playbook, the players, etc... He hasn't played particularly well these last few seasons...granted with crappy teams...but still.

The Steelers really don't gain much by bringing him in. He's probably looking for a longer term investment (more than 1 season) and hoping to compete for a starting job.

I just don't see how he could help either Ben, Dixon or the Steelers in general out.

If I were a Browns fan, I would want Dixon being our backup as well. What we gain from bringing in a veteran is that we have someone with game experience to play the position in case Ben gets hurt in preseason or before Batch comes back. There is no guarantee that Batch will be back in 6 weeks and he might be a little shy about taking hits when he does come back.

Dixon, quite simply, is not a smart option as our #2 QB.

tony hipchest
08-09-2008, 11:56 AM
i dont know, but pep seems a bit aloof and stand-offish. that wouldnt work well in the steelers locker room. leftwich on the other hand seems like a guy all the steelers players would like and accept.

plus we could pump him for a bit of playbook info. im sure he would love to stick it to the jags.

rbryan
08-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Charlie Batch is too old and Dixon is too small. We might need to bring in two QB's IMO. I forgot about Holcomb, I'd much rather see him come in.....and to seal the deal he can bring the Brownies playbook.....lol

BlastFurnace
08-09-2008, 11:58 AM
i dont know, but pep seems a bit aloof and stand-offish. that wouldnt work well in the steelers locker room. leftwich on the other hand seems like a guy all the steelers players would like and accept.

plus we could pump him for a bit of playbook info. im sure he would love to stick it to the jags.

Considering the freakish ways we lose to the Jags, if he can break the Karma with some input, I'm all for it.

xfl2001fan
08-09-2008, 12:01 PM
If I were a Browns fan, I would want Dixon being our backup as well. What we gain from bringing in a veteran is that we have someone with game experience to play the position in case Ben gets hurt in preseason or before Batch comes back. There is no guarantee that Batch will be back in 6 weeks and he might be a little shy about taking hits when he does come back.

Dixon, quite simply, is not a smart option as our #2 QB.

I don't see what good Culpepper does for you. You bring in a guy who's best days are behind him and gain what? Besides a cap hit?

Atlanta Dan
08-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Two words answer the question - Jeff George:sofunny:

xfl2001fan
08-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Charlie Batch is too old and Dixon is too small. We might need to bring in two QB's IMO. I forgot about Holcomb, I'd much rather see him come in.....and to seal the deal he can bring the Brownies playbook.....lol

No he couldn't. I know he wasn't here with our current O-coordinator...but I think he may have been around for Bruce Arians...so he could bring the Steelers playbook.

rbryan
08-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Who was the QB you cut last year after the first game?? I thought it was Holcomb

NJarhead
08-09-2008, 12:07 PM
Just out of curiosity, I wonder what Chad Pennington would cost?

xfl2001fan
08-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Who was the QB you cut last year after the first game?? I thought it was Holcomb
Charlie Frye was traded to the Seattle Seahawks.

xfl2001fan
08-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Just out of curiosity, I wonder what Chad Pennington would cost?Ask the Dolphins, they just signed him.

Edman
08-09-2008, 12:19 PM
I think Pittsburgh will ride out the storm with Dixon and Ben. And hope Ben doesn't get hurt.

redst3
08-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Dixon cant handle #2. I'm not even sure Dixon can handle #3.

NJarhead
08-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Ask the Dolphins, they just signed him.

Hmmm. I didn't realize that had gone through. I would have thought the Chiefs would have made an attempt at signing him too. Well, I don't think we bring in a solid #2 guy if Batch could be available by Week 2.

kochmanski
08-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I'll take Byron Leftwich... Sounds like that's who they're trying to get. Hmmm... Maybe we can pick his brain and fing a few nuggets that'll help us beat Jacksonville. Ha ha.

Stlrs4Life
08-09-2008, 12:52 PM

No way do I want Holcomb or Culpepper. I don't think we really need the Browns playbook, we beat them just as well without it. Leftwich seems to be the one to call. I also can agree here with the Browns Fan.

rbryan
08-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I was confusing Holcomb with Frye.

It's that "Mount Rushmore of dogshit" when it comes to Brownies QB's I've seen on somebody's sig.....lol

PalmerSteel
08-09-2008, 12:59 PM
if its only 4-6 weeks, then dont get aynyone. if its more, we HAVE to sign culpepper or leftwich or a proven qb, even if it means a trade. god forbid something happens to ben, but the season would be completely lost if he goes down and we have to rely on a late draft pick rookie qb.

Stlrs4Life
08-09-2008, 01:10 PM
And no way that I want Charlie Frye either.

Steeldude
08-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Just out of curiosity, I wonder what Chad Pennington would cost?

dolphins signed him for 2 years at $11+ mil

IamTheSteelGod
08-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I reackon we leave it and take a chance! or get Ward to play QB. :-)

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I bet that Arians gets his old guy in Holcombe for a few weeks since he knows that BA offense.

OneForTheToe
08-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I think it would be foolish not to sign someone. I don't want to be a negative Nellie, but just because the standard time missed for a broken collar bone is 4 - 6 weeks doesn't mean Charlie wil be ready to go in 6 weeks. At least with a guy like Leftwich you would have a player who has been there before. If Dixon suddenly starts playing like the second comming Otto Graham then you start him over Leftwich. Otherwise, at least we have a veteren that gives us a chance (slim as it may be without Ben).

Black@Gold Forever32
08-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Anyone who thinks if Ben goes down the season is over anyway is freaking fooling themselves. If it weren't for Charlie Batch, the thumb would still be ringless, folks. He started , was it 3 games?, while Ben had knee surgery in the middle of the season and we squeeked into the playoffs and went on to win a Superbowl as a sixth seed! If we would have lost even one of those games with Charlie at the helm, the Colts would probably own Lombardi #40 and that fatass in Seattle would be whining about something else.

Charlie is way overlooked in that journey to XL.....but he's my hero. Get well soon, Charlie!

Batch started two games in 05....Against the Packers in Green Bay and the Browns in Pittsburgh...Were Maddox lost both of his starts in 05....You're right Batch had a part in the Steelers making the play-offs when Ben went down....Chances are Maddox would have lost one of those games Batch started....But if Ben goes down for a serious amount of time the team is screwed.....Batch can come in spot start for a game or two....But noway this team would make the play-offs with Batch starting most of the games this year if Ben went down with serious injury.....Thats why Charlie is a backup.......Fine for a game or two.....

Really Batch going down isn't a big deal unless Ben gets hurt......I don't want no parts of Daunte Culpepper......Unless we can give him a new knee and trade for Randy Moss...lol I wouldn't mind Byron Leftwich until Batch is back.....But the pass protection is shaky with our OL and Lord Byron isn't the mobile QB......He is a statue actually....But again he would only see action if Ben went down....

The team does have to bring in another arm for the remainder of camp and pre-season....But really Batch going down isn't a big deal...He will be back...................Lets just hope Ben is healthy all year....I'm knocking on wood as I type this...

tony hipchest
08-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I bet that Arians gets his old guy in Holcombe for a few weeks since he knows that BA offense.he retired a few weeks ago. i heard his interview on sirius but didnt really pay attention and listen. my impression was that he was done but maybe thats just cause he had no other options at the time.

for vet minimum.....

steelreserve
08-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I don't think it matters who we sign. We may not need to sign anyone at all. The season doesn't start for another month, so this is quite possibly the best time this could have happened. If Batch isn't ready at the very start of the season, he should be available as the backup for a good 14 games or so. I'm not terribly concerned.

Steeldude
08-09-2008, 02:04 PM
unfortunately, there aren't many options out there. holcomb seems to be the best filler, but will he play? if BR goes down, i really don't want to see a WR(dixon) replacing him.

The Pittsburgh Steelers got a good look at young quarterbacks Dennis Dixon and Mike Potts.

It wasn't pretty.

Potts is easily the more accurate of the two, while Dixon, a fifth-round draft pick, is more athletic.

Of course being more accurate than Dixon isn't really saying much about Potts. Dixon is the Mitch Williams of QBs. He's not Tee Martin bad, but he doesn't throw a lot of balls on the money.

With that said, it was a good day to be a defensive back

tony hipchest
08-09-2008, 03:07 PM
dixon was 6/9, potts 0/2. where does this guy get that potts is more accurate? everything ive read coming out of camp suggests dixon is alot more accurate.

i dont know how 11 pass attempts between 2 qb's is getting a good look at them. the only thing we got a good look at was our qb's handing off the ball, and batch and moore couldnt even accomplish that.

lilyoder6
08-09-2008, 03:23 PM
i saw a couple plays where tony hills screwed up his block and saw that dixon used his legs o escape and throw the ball.. just give dixon 2nd string and 3rd string playing time and he'll get to know the off a lot quicker

Steeldude
08-09-2008, 05:37 PM
dixon was 6/9, potts 0/2. where does this guy get that potts is more accurate? everything ive read coming out of camp suggests dixon is alot more accurate.

i dont know how 11 pass attempts between 2 qb's is getting a good look at them. the only thing we got a good look at was our qb's handing off the ball, and batch and moore couldnt even accomplish that.

he is talking about camp, not the handful of passes thrown in that game. the person who wrote it is a camp writer.

it's not like dixon's accuracy problems were a secret coming out of college. perhaps he will get better.

xfl2001fan
08-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Accuracy Problems? His college career he averaged over 63% Completion percentage.

Last year, he was 67% before being injured. 38 TD vs 21 INT (career) isn't great but not terrible either; his last year he was 20/4 with an 8.41 YPA.

Those numbers say that he's pretty good and has potential.

His college career numbers (using an NFL QB Rating) would have been 91.2. Career, not just his best year.

Last season, his numbers come out to 113.2

Oh yeah...and he could run too. 105 rushes, 583 yards, 5.5 YPA, and 9 rushing TDs (1 in every game he played in last year except the game before his injury)

rbryan
08-09-2008, 10:29 PM

Bump.....lol

I guess the front office wasn't that impressed with Dixon either. Can we send him down to the minors and get him some vitamins??? Maybe if he has a growth spurt we can call him up in a year or two.

Steeldude
08-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Accuracy Problems? His college career he averaged over 63% Completion percentage

running a spread option in college doesn't exactly provide a good measuring stick for a QB's accuracy in the NFL. if i remember correctly, dixon struggled (tossing two touchdowns and nine interceptions in his final six appearances while averaging 117.3 yards per game passing and completing 59 percent of his attempts) in 2006 before oregon changed to the spread option the following season. draft reports and reports from camp say dixon has accuracy problems. will it remain that way? only time will tell. i certainly hope he improves. do i think he will be a good QB in the NFL? no. IMO, this is just another kordell experiment.

let's take a look at some of kordell's stats(college/NFL)

Colorado's most prolific passer of all-time, setting records for completions (456), attempts (785), career completion percentage (58.1 percent), passing yards (6,481), TDs (33), total offensive yards (7,770), average yards per completion (13.8), yards in total offense per game (235.5) and yards per offensive play (6.36)… Tallied a school-record six 300-yard passing games in his career while having only 2.4 percent of his passes intercepted.

Lowest Interception Percentage
Season (minimum 100 att.)—.013 (3 of 237), Kordell Stewart, 1994

colorado - 1994 - 146.8 rating (147-of-237, 2071 yards, 10td 62%)

steelers - 2001 - 60.2% (why did the steelers let that accurate QB go)

i don't remember KS being anywhere near an accurate QB in the NFL. sure he could hit receivers on a 2-yard hitch(sometimes), but other than that it changes drastically.

vince young had a high completion % while running the spread in college. i wouldn't call him accurate. in 2005, his line read: 65.2%, 3,036yds, 26td, 10int. again, i certainly wouldn't call young accurate, especially in the NFL. from the NFL games i have seen he has struggled hitting WRs and reading defenses. he can hit the wide open receivers on dink n' dunk passes, but it changes when he has to hit WRs cutting across the field on intermediate passes and so forth.

but that's just my opinion :smile:

revefsreleets
08-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Kordoza Line.

GeneralRobinson
08-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Column: Moore feels terrible about Batch's injury
By Chris Harlan, Times Sports Staff
Published: Saturday, August 9, 2008 11:43 PM

PITTSBURGH — Mewelde Moore made a mistake.

There were probably dozens of others made by his teammates during Friday night’s preseason game, missteps that usually go unnoticed, but Moore was taking his exceptionally hard.

He felt terrible.

“You just don’t want to …” said Moore, his voice grew quiet as his eyes shifted toward the floor. “It’s one of those deals, man. You know it’s tough. You’re definitely wearing it. I’m wearing it.”

His mistake? He misheard.

The Steelers running back was a late substitute before a second-quarter play, joining the huddle just before it broke. Moore lined up in the backfield believing he’d heard the play correctly. When he went right and quarterback Charlie Batch went left, Moore knew something was wrong.

The broken play led to Batch’s broken collarbone.

The Steelers backup quarterback is expected to be sidelined for several weeks. Batch is well-liked in the Steelers locker room, with teammates calling him “the rock of the offense” for the stability he brings.

Suddenly, it became a big mistake.

“I take a lot of the blame,” said Moore, who signed with the Steelers as a free agent from the Minnesota Vikings. “I should have checked it or called timeout on my end. I didn’t hear the play through like I thought I did.”

Moore might have been the loneliest player in the Steelers locker room after Friday’s game at Heinz Field. A newcomer to the team, Moore has been trying all camp to find his place in a crowded backfield.

This wasn’t what he wanted to hear from his coach after his first game in Pittsburgh: “It was a miscommunication between (Batch) and Mewelde Moore,” Mike Tomlin said, trying to explain how Batch was injured. “The reality is that (Batch) ended up with the football and tried to make the best out of a bad situation.”

Like most of his teammates, Willie Colon was asked about the play: “It was a little mix-up between him and Mewelde.”

This certainly wasn’t the attention Moore had wanted.

“Nobody wants this,” he said.

The play was supposed to be a “sprint-draw” run. Moore, the Steelers third-team running back, never knew until it was too late. The mistake won’t keep the 25-year-old from making the team. He’ll likely be the team’s third-down back and will handle some kick-return duties.

Thoughts of his mistake, though, will probably linger.

“I’m going to wear it and that’s just how it is,” Moore said. “It’s football and nobody’s trying to make mistakes like that. It’s tough.”

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/08/09/sports/steelers/doc489e636ec1535944829234.txt

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 03:23 PM
he is talking about camp, not the handful of passes thrown in that game. the person who wrote it is a camp writer.

it's not like dixon's accuracy problems were a secret coming out of college. perhaps he will get better.i dont have any acces to camp writers other than what vrabinec has posted in the training camp section. having read through his detailed breakdown of dozens of plays from 3-4 days of practice, my impression is that dixon has been far more accurate and better than potts in camp.
:noidea:

ultimately i gotta go with tomlins analysis, which was quite favorable.