PDA

View Full Version : First (preseason) impressions?

Steelman16
08-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Unfortunately I missed the game, so I'll have to rely on my faithful SF bretheren to get me on the up-and-up. (don't have NFL network, and can't watch online due to dialup...)

I read the entire gameday thread, so I did learn a few things. (mostly from our new Professor, XFLfan2001 :sofunny: :flap: )

1, that Willie's 100%. I never had any qualms about him coming back. The man has a chip on his shoulder the size of Pennsylvania, and it's ain't shrinkin'.

2, that Mendenhall looks like a rookie beast, displaying nice power and burst. (which was good to hear!)

3, Batch broke his collarbone so now everyone is clamoring for other broken down quarterbacks like Chad Pennington and Daunte Culpepper. (Chad signed with the Jets)

4, that Dixon has a new nickname. :chuckle:

From what I read, it sounded like the line played well. I see from the box score we only allowed 1 sack, and that one against Dixon.

lol, well maybe I learned more than I thought. :chuckle: But I'd still like to hear some good in-depth Steelers insight on the game.

:thumbsup:

NV STEELERS 723
08-09-2008, 02:28 AM
Bradshaw played well, but Coach Knoll wanted Terry to call more running plays...even on third down....

It was a pretty boring game.!:chuckle:

Edman
08-09-2008, 02:31 AM
-The Offensive Line did pretty good.
-The Pass Rush has gotten better. I wish Lebeau didn't insist on playing Bend-Don't Break. Silverback and Woodley were just ripping through blockers and getting to Mcnabb.
-Timmons is playing to his potential. He was flying all over the field.
-Mendenhall was impressive.
-Willie Parker looked like a man on a mission.
-Ben looked great as usual. Even though he threw two passes.
-Besides Willie and Mendenhall, the running backs were running damn hard. We have a pretty loaded backfield.

MACH1
08-09-2008, 03:36 AM
From what one could tell from one series in the first preseason game the O starters looked good. The D could of done better on their first go though.

Preacher
08-09-2008, 05:02 AM
Hey guys...

Don't worry about the D.

1. They don't watch film for these games.

2. They don't scheme for these games

3. They only give vanilla looks for these games to not give tape to other teams... especially since they play the Eagles in a few weeks.

FourThreeMafia
08-09-2008, 05:44 AM
Good impressions
-The entire starting offensive line looked good against a pretty solid DLine. Marvel Smith looked good after back surgery. Kemo looked like a solid replacement for Faneca. Mahan looked pretty good, surprisingly. Simmons and Colon were solid.
-While Mahan played well, Hartwig looked better. He needs to get some reps with the starting line.
-Willie hasnt lost a step.
-Rashard displayed great vision, power and cutback ability.
-Ben and Holmes are set to have a huge year.
-Spaeth looked good with run blocking.
-Dixon needs work, but he has the tools to be a good backup.
-Sweed looked fantastic.
-Gary Russell runs hard. Id hate to lose him.
-Woodley is a definite upgrade from Haggans as a pass rusher
-Foote looked good, but he is going to have a hard time holding off Timmons. I think them sharing time is a good idea.
-We have some good potential young DLine prospects. McBean needs to get stronger, but he is very athletic. Reffett and Clement looked pretty good too, considering it was their first game.
-Special teams looked better overall. Kick coverage looked tighter for the most part, and I think Drummond or even Mendenhall could be good returners.
-Our starting CBs looked good and covered well.

Bad impressions
-Hoke didnt look good at all. We need Snack back.
-Our pass rush didnt look consistently great. Im not very concerned right now because LeBeau runs a very vanilla offense in the preseason, plus Snack was not in the lineup.
-Dekker should be cut immediately. He looked completely inept out there.
-William Gay. I was hoping for more from him, but he looked somewhat lost.
-Hills looked awful. I had high hopes for him. I cant see him making the team.
-Jeremy Bloom looked out of his element. He should stick to skiing.

Definitely more good to take from this game than bad, but its only one preseason game, so Im not putting much stock into it.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-09-2008, 05:56 AM
I was most impressed with Russel as our running back..... I hope he gets the number 3 position.........plust hes only like 21

redst3
08-09-2008, 06:00 AM
Charlie broke his collarbone? What the...

Well, damn Eagles announcers could have told us that. Of course I was having trouble staying awake in the third Q though the end was exciting.

So, can we get Pennington?

Steeldude
08-09-2008, 06:26 AM
Hoke didnt look good at all. We need Snack back

stastically, the steelers have looked very good with hoke in place of hampton. 12-2 with hoke as the starter. until hampton loses the weight he needs to sit.

Elvis
08-09-2008, 06:40 AM
Steel.. there is no way in haitees that we are a better defense with Hoke in there instead of Hampton. No Way!!!

I am just estatic at the way that Mendenhall looked. This guy is the real deal in my early opinion. I also loved the way that willie parker came back and looked just as fast as ever.
Did anyone notice our O-Line?.. I didnt see anything that was bad on their parts, but they didnt play but `1 series, but they pushed the Eagles DeLine all over the field on that one drive. The Steelers RB's are either extremely fast or that defense that is usually alot faster was pretty slow last night for the Eagles.

Overall, I think we played a good game and it is good to see Timmons on the field, even though I didnt see him make any big plays. But he definitely looks fast and fresh out there..
:tt02:

GBMelBlount
08-09-2008, 08:09 AM
I thought Sweed looked very good. I am excited about this guy.

kochmanski
08-09-2008, 08:59 AM
GARY RUSSELL, baby!

I've been high on him ever since we picked him up. He looked GREAT last night. Good, hard runner. They kept him around last season, he HAS to make the team, this season.

Willie, Rashard and Gary... THAT'S a nice backfield.

Hapa
08-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Yea Gary was killin' people yesterday...

but then again, he was only out against 2nd and 3rd stringers...

He didn't look as good last year against 1st string

Galax Steeler
08-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I was really impressed with Mendenhall he showed he has the speed and vision and also has the cutback ability Sweed and russell also looked pretty good we should have a good team this year.

Havik
08-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Ben looked great in his very limited playing time. The receivers and running backs looked great too, both Mendenhall and Sweed were impressive in their debuts. Max Starks was very dominant at LT, IMO he was better than Marvel Smith. Mahan actually played well but I'm not sold on him yet. Kemo and Simmons played well. Colon and Tony Hills were very mediocre. RT has to be a priority in next years draft.

The defense suffered with the absence of Hampton and Polamalu. I hate seeing Casey on the sideline as he is one of my favorite players. James Farrior once again demonstrated that he is one of the best linebackers in the NFL today. He may be 33 but he played like he was 23. He still has serious game. Foote and Timmons both looked good. Keyaron Fox and Andre Frazier were also impressive. The pass rush was decent, and the secondary could have been better.

The biggest surprise of the night was special teams. These guys showed a vast improvement. I think some new blood on special teams is just what the doctor ordered.

rbryan
08-09-2008, 11:11 AM
I'm glad Tomlin called out Hampton, but the more I see of the rest of the NT's in the league, the more I realize that he doesn't look like he's in that bad of shape...lol

I think Hampton will be ready for the reg season and be playing with something to prove.

I feel bad for CB, but the broken collarbone may be a blessing in disquise. I think he looked slow and very unsure of himself. Very Tommy Maddox like IMO. I'd hate to think he was the answer if Big Ben goes down. I think we've been lulled into a false sense of security with all the talk of what a good backup he is. Dixon???? Don't get me started. Did this guy shred up for the season or what?? Dude must be down to about 175 LBS and just doesn't look like QB material to me. Too small and too skinny. He plays scared (I'd be scared too if I was that small) and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Too bad Pennington got scooped up already by the Dolphins.

MACH1
08-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey guys...

Don't worry about the D.

1. They don't watch film for these games.

2. They don't scheme for these games

3. They only give vanilla looks for these games to not give tape to other teams... especially since they play the Eagles in a few weeks.

You forgot one.....They didn't cheat*

GBMelBlount
08-09-2008, 11:19 AM
rbryan
Dixon???? Don't get me started. Did this guy shred up for the season or what?? Dude must be down to about 175 LBS and just doesn't look like QB material to me. Too small and too skinny. He plays scared (I'd be scared to if I was that small) and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Why wouldn't he be nervous? It was his first NFL appearance. He had 6 completions and I personally was not disappointed.....He is a little skinny though.

rbryan
08-09-2008, 11:24 AM
The QB on my sons HS team dwarfs Dixon.......too small for primetime.

I never liked this pick and I feel even more strongly about it now. It won't take much longer before everyone sees that.

BlastFurnace
08-09-2008, 11:27 AM
Yea Gary was killin' people yesterday...

but then again, he was only out against 2nd and 3rd stringers...

He didn't look as good last year against 1st string

Keep in mind, he had a bunch of 3rd stringers blocking for him as well....and a QB handing off to him that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

BlastFurnace
08-09-2008, 11:29 AM

I never liked this pick and I feel even more strongly about it now. It won't take much longer before everyone sees that.

I completely agree. That was a terrible draft choice. After last night, I feel worse about that pick than I originally did. We better wrap Ben up in a plastic bubble the next 3 preseason games.

GBMelBlount
08-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Isn't Dixon 6'2" or better? It's not like he's Doug Flutie. He is physically gifted and played very well in college. You rarely know this early who will transition but I certainly feel he has the potential and although 20 more lbs. wouldn't hurt, there are are quite lean athletes who are still extremely strong. Again, it was his first outing and he barely knows the offense. I still think this guys upside (for where we picked him) far outweighs the risk. I guess we'll see.

rbryan
08-09-2008, 11:43 AM
If he's listed as 6'2 thats an outright lie. I'd say about 5'11" 180 max.

In the footage I've seen of him in College he didn't look so small.....welcome to the NFL..... The ball boy could whoop his azz.

DACEB
08-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Wow, you've saved me alot of writing, 4-3, pretty much my thoughts exactly!

Good impressions
-The entire starting offensive line looked good against a pretty solid DLine. Marvel Smith looked good after back surgery. Kemo looked like a solid replacement for Faneca. Mahan looked pretty good, surprisingly. Simmons and Colon were solid.
-While Mahan played well, Hartwig looked better. He needs to get some reps with the starting line.

-The starting O-line looked very good, I actually thought Mahan looked better than Hartwig. If this guy has an issue keeping on weight, we need to get him with a nutritionalist or some HGH.
-Stapleton looked good at G & C, IMO.
-Starks did not look that great, IMO, on either side. Essex looked better at G & T.

-Willie hasnt lost a step.
-Rashard displayed great vision, power and cutback ability.

FWP looked absolutely EXPLOSIVE! RushHard looked very good, but seemed to shy away from the hit at the end of the run after that HUGE shot he took early. This kid will be a great compliment to FWP. He's only going to get more comfortable at the pro level and in this offense.

-Ben and Holmes are set to have a huge year.

That might prove to be an understatement. Druckenmiller, if he's such a big fan, should pay for all the starters to go down to Shaw's sports facility in Orlando (he's got the cash!). Holmes looks great, (Farrior too)! Nice hot read by Ben, BTW, on that TD pass.

-Spaeth looked good with run blocking.
-Dixon needs work, but he has the tools to be a good backup.
-Sweed looked fantastic.
-Gary Russell runs hard. Id hate to lose him.

-Dixon looked good. Made some quick decisions and has great mobility, which is a big plus in a young backup.
-Sweed... yea, he looked great. He looked comfortable 'under the lights', made all the catches, including one in heavy traffic.
-Granted the situations and small sample, Russell looked great. Gets thru the line quickly and I love his downhill running style, he looked the best in short yardage. I'd hate to lose him too, he looked much better than Moore, granted they're not doing the same job. I didn't see much from Moore on 3rd down.

-Woodley is a definite upgrade from Haggans as a pass rusher
-Foote looked good, but he is going to have a hard time holding off Timmons. I think them sharing time is a good idea.
-We have some good potential young DLine prospects. McBean needs to get stronger, but he is very athletic. Reffett and Clement looked pretty good too, considering it was their first game.

-Woodley looked good. First obvious pass situation he draws a holding penalty from the offense. He's going to be a menace for teams that want to throw the ball against us.
-Best situation, IMO, is for Foote and Timmons to share time. Keep the guys fresh. Timmons showed great closing speed and power. I'm still not sure how good he looked in traffic.
-Fox looked good in space, wonder what difference if any he's making on ST's.
-A. Harrison and Frazier look to be locks at backup OLB, IMO. Do we keep 9 LB's this year??
-McBean definitely is athletic, quick and showed good hustle.... but Eason also showed great hustle and looked much better in the role of DE. I thought both Reffett and Clement looked good, better than McBean as a 3-4 DE. I've been hearing alot about Clement, I thought Reffett actually looked just as good or better. I'd like to see them some more, and without Prince in the middle. Paxson played well, IMO, I'd like to see him at NT with them. I'd also like to see what Paxson can do at DE, he looks like he's working on a roster spot.

-Special teams looked better overall. Kick coverage looked tighter for the most part, and I think Drummond or even Mendenhall could be good returners.
-Our starting CBs looked good and covered well.

-I was expecting a little more from Gay, but I was really paying attention to the D-line.
-Does anyone have opinions on the backup CB's and S's. Mundy seemed O.K., had some good hits until he went out.
-Anything on (30) Lewis or (31) Williams, seemed like they saw quite a bit of playing time.

Bad impressions
-Hoke didnt look good at all. We need Snack back.
-Our pass rush didnt look consistently great. Im not very concerned right now because LeBeau runs a very vanilla offense in the preseason, plus Snack was not in the lineup.

-Sorry, but Big Snack does nothing for the pass rush. Hoke looked like it was the first game, and his spot is locked....like I said before, Paxson looks determined to make the roster.
-I thought Eason and the young guys, Reffett and Clement got a good push on the pass rush. We need guys to step up and provide a push on passing downs, and at least give the starters a blow.
-Davis (OLB) looked good providing pressure on passing downs, drew a facemask penalty on the offense.

-Dekker should be cut immediately. He looked completely inept out there.

You ain't kidding, and he was given alot of time on the field to prove otherwise! Why were'nt Boyd and Sherrodd given more playing time?

-William Gay. I was hoping for more from him, but he looked somewhat lost.
-Hills looked awful. I had high hopes for him. I cant see him making the team.
-Jeremy Bloom looked out of his element. He should stick to skiing.

-Ditto on Gay, but like I said I was paying more attention to the line. Seemed like the CB's were playing pretty soft anyway, no?
-Hills looked awful. Can't be said enough.

Definitely more good to take from this game than bad, but its only one preseason game, so Im not putting much stock into it.

Can't take much from 1st preseason game?

1st team offense looked sharp, no penalties and the line looked strong with a good push in the run game. Marvel's back looks good so far.

Ben did a great job with the 'hot read' on the TD pass to Holmes, they've been working on that, right.

RushHard and Sweed are going to make the transition to the pros fairly quickly.

We DO have some talent and depth on the O-line. Now we need to sort out the D-line.

There's going to be alot of defensive players on the practice squad this year.

rbryan
08-09-2008, 11:59 AM
How about the new punter??? Did anyone notice him on the kick off he blasted thru the endzone?? Sep who????

verks36
08-09-2008, 12:03 PM
BATCH BROKE HE COLLAR BONE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Didnt have a chance to watch the game but injuries are the last thing we want in a preseason game

NJarhead
08-09-2008, 12:04 PM
-The Offensive Line did pretty good.
-The Pass Rush has gotten better. I wish Lebeau didn't insist on playing Bend-Don't Break. Silverback and Woodley were just ripping through blockers and getting to Mcnabb.
-Timmons is playing to his potential. He was flying all over the field.
-Mendenhall was impressive.
-Willie Parker looked like a man on a mission.
-Ben looked great as usual. Even though he threw two passes.
-Besides Willie and Mendenhall, the running backs were running damn hard. We have a pretty loaded backfield.

You nailed it. That punter was decent as well (he even ripped one on the kick off).
I was only concerned with the tackling ability of our back ups. If those guys are going to make the roster and contribute to special teams they need to do better. Special teams last night was fine, but I'm hoping our starters can be removed from that duty.

On a side note: The game started with a Steelers broadcast. The picture sucked and the video became choppy at times but the commentary was nice. In the 2nd qtr they switched to the Eagles broadcast. The picture was true HD and I loved it. However, I learned why Eagles fans are so stupid. Those commentators coddle the fans. Everything the Eagles did was wonderful. I wish I could have heard all the positives that came out of the first drive of the game. I can only imagine. If the Steelers got a big play, the Eagles commentators spoke about what a wonderful tackle was made at the end of it....stuff like that. I was getting aggravated. Anyone else?

rbryan
08-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Casserly is the biggest gasbag ever. He actually came across as being fairly intelligent when he only had to memorize a 30 second transcript that someone else wrote for him on NFL network. Filling up that much airtime shows what a moron he is. I didn't know CB broke his collarbone till after the game, that might have been some good info to pass along.

I will give the Eagles credit for having a way better production co producing thier preseason games. I'd much rather turn down the volume and watch in HD.

DACEB
08-09-2008, 12:11 PM
You nailed it. That punter was decent as well (he even ripped one on the kick off).
I was only concerned with the tackling ability of our back ups. If those guys are going to make the roster and contribute to special teams they need to do better. Special teams last night was fine, but I'm hoping our starters can be removed from that duty.

Ditto, ST's looked much improved, but your absolutely right about the starters.

NJarhead
08-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Casserly is the biggest gasbag ever. He actually came across as being fairly intelligent when he only had to memorize a 30 second transcript that someone else wrote for him on NFL network. Filling up that much airtime shows what a moron he is. I didn't know CB broke his collarbone till after the game, that might have been some good info to pass along.

I will give the Eagles credit for having a way better production co producing thier preseason games. I'd much rather turn down the volume and watch in HD.

I'd forgetten his name, but yes, that is exactly who I was talking about. Poor, unintelligent Eagles fans....A whole generation of them will now be dumber for having listened to him.

Stlrs4Life
08-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I was impressed with our ST returns. Improvement was made there. Timmons looked good also.

rbryan
08-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Give the people what they want......Iggle fans can't handle the truth. The best was with about 4 minutes left in the game Casserly blurted out how he liked to lose in the preseason to a team you had to play in the regular season. I'm sure his head must have been spinning on that last drive when they looked like they might pull out the win.

NJarhead
08-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Give the people what they want......Iggle fans can't handle the truth. The best was with about 4 minutes left in the game Casserly blurted out how he liked to lose in the preseason to a team you had to play in the regular season. I'm sure his head must have been spinning on that last drive when they looked like they might pull out the win.

LOL. I know.

"Helloooo? You PLAY to WIN the GAME!" lol.

tony hipchest
08-09-2008, 01:06 PM
on bens 1st completion to ward he had him wide open in the middle of the field and another wr deeper who was open too.

instead of thinking wether to take the deep shot, he went with his 1st read and moved the chains.

and the progresson of ben continues.

he seems to extend the ball way too early on handoffs which i would say hes telegraphing, but then again thei works really well when he pulls it back in on play action. perhaps he does this just to set up the defense. it used to bug me, but its not like teams dont know were gonna run the ball {effectively too) anyways.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-09-2008, 01:17 PM
The obvious points were: Parker, Mendenhall, Ben, Ward, Holmes looked fine on offense...Farrior, Timmons, Woodley and the ususal on defense. Fox, Mundy, Sweed were a few newcomers that also looked good....Humpal looked fine, but needs to hit the weight room a bit more. Dixon has good mobility, but I thought his throwing motion was better than that....kind of a wonky delivery.

Now....I keenly watched the O line and here are my thoughts:

The starters looked good in their 2 series. Smith looked like a guy that is in the top 10 LT's in the game. Kemo, Colon, Simmons looked solid, as did Mahan. Again, Mahan is fine when he doesnt have a man over him like in a 4-3 and was helping on double teams in most situations or getting a LB.

Of the 2nd string, Starks looks like a man fighting for a spot and played with some agression in the run game and decent technique in the passing game. Hartwig played well, snapped the ball high a few times, but again playing against a 4-3 wasnt engaged with the big fellas one on one much. Stapleton was powerful and all over the field and Parquet showed some power in the run game, but heavy feet in pass protection. Essex looked good at LG and hopefully his versatility lands him a job.

Of the 3's Tony Hills showed he doesnt have a great initial punch and upper body strength to neutralize pass rushers yet, but drove McDougal backwards in the run game. He's got potential and should make a roster. Doug Legursky was in uniform (I thought he was released) and showed some of his power and aggression. He is PS material if anything at this point.

Smith, Kemo, Hartwig, Simmons, Colon, Mahan, Essex, Hills, Starks .....should be the 9 that make it.....if they keep 10 then Stapleton is there too. (my preference would be to keep Stapleton over Mahan, as he has more upside)

PalmerSteel
08-09-2008, 02:02 PM
one player that stuck out like a sore thumb. tony "i need to run for the" hills. no way this guys makes it. i think big snack could speed rush by this guy and could definately over power him ;)

LVSteelersfan
08-09-2008, 02:17 PM
I was most impressed with Russel as our running back..... I hope he gets the number 3 position.........plust hes only like 21

I don't get it what people see in Russell. I think he is pretty pathetic. If there is no hole, there is no gain. Period. He can't bounce to the outside worth a damn. Moore is twice the player Russell will ever be.

fansince'76
08-09-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't get it what people see in Russell. I think he is pretty pathetic. If there is no hole, there is no gain. Period. He can't bounce to the outside worth a damn. Moore is twice the player Russell will ever be.

Agreed - the only thing Russell has ever shown and showed again last night is an ability to get stuffed.

steel striker
08-09-2008, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=TheWarDen86;421039]You nailed it. That punter was decent as well (he even ripped one on the kick off).

On a side note: The game started with a Steelers broadcast. The picture sucked and the video became choppy at times but the commentary was nice. In the 2nd qtr they switched to the Eagles broadcast. The picture was true HD and I loved it. However, I learned why Eagles fans are so stupid. Those commentators coddle the fans. Everything the Eagles did was wonderful. I wish I could have heard all the positives that came out of the first drive of the game. I can only imagine. If the Steelers got a big play, the Eagles commentators spoke about what a wonderful tackle was made at the end of it....stuff like that. I was getting aggravated. Anyone else?[/QUOT

I agree with you for sure and, I live about two hours away from philly. Those eagle announcers were horrible. Just like you said when the steelers made a good play the only thing they said was what a tackle or Donavan is really having fun on the sideline. The worst was at half time they did not even show Ben's TD pass to Holmes. When Sweed made that nice catch by the sideline nothings was said except how good the eagles looked. I'm like give me a break!!

lilyoder6
08-09-2008, 03:29 PM
yeah but moore was the player who f'ed up the play when batch got hurt.. and it's hard 4 ANY RB to run when there are no holes.. i think humpal did real good on st and fox did good on some open field tackles..i feel bad for mundy b/c he could of had a shit load of playing time last night due to troy and smith not playing and he gets hurt himself..

OneForTheToe
08-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Agreed - the only thing Russell has ever shown and showed again last night is an ability to get stuffed.

I was mistakenly impressed with Russell and Davis in the pre-season last year. Then, when each had a chance in the regular season they looked terrible. I am not falling for that this season. I actually wouldn't mind see the Steelers going with only three backs and Davis at FB. Put some rbís on the P.S. It's not that I like Davis, but he does more things, even if not tat well, than Russell. That would give us an extra roster spot another position like lb'er, o'line or one more player good on special teams.

tony hipchest
08-09-2008, 04:11 PM
some players just take longer to develop into productive players than others.

parker, harrison, and washington are perfect examples.

redst3
08-09-2008, 04:25 PM
I thought that Keyaron Fox (#57) made some good plays in the 2nd half. He led the Steelers in tackles with 3 assists and 3 solos.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/gamelog?playerId=5618

Plus he is a good Georgia boy (even if he played for Tech)

revefsreleets
08-09-2008, 04:52 PM
My buddy was at the game, and he's pretty knowledgeable about football. He said Russell was the most impressive running back of the night. He also said he thinks Kyle Clement is the next FA to make a splash (not this year, though, but he thinks he'll make the practice squad).

Edman
08-09-2008, 04:56 PM

If Russell was so great, the Steelers running game wouldn't have fallen to pieces when Willie got injured. They couldn't run at all against Jacksonville, especially when earlier that year Willie put up 100 on them.

Willie has shown the ability to bounce it outside and it looks like the injury isn't bothering him one bit. Rashard has shown a little glimpse he can go outside and inside. Moore too looked impressive.

Steeldude
08-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Steel.. there is no way in haitees that we are a better defense with Hoke in there instead of Hampton. No Way!!!

what i am saying is, for now the defense is better with hoke rather than a too overweight hampton. until hampton gets his weight down i would rather have hoke in. hampton was very sluggish last year due to the extreme weight gain.

Steeldude
08-09-2008, 06:05 PM
If Russell was so great, the Steelers running game wouldn't have fallen to pieces when Willie got injured. They couldn't run at all against Jacksonville, especially when earlier that year Willie put up 100 on them.

how often did the steelers use russell when parker went down(7 carries in 2007)? can't do anything negative or positive if the coach doesn't put you in. "so far" in camp it is said that russell is the best short yardage RB.

They couldn't run at all against Jacksonville

blame the O-line for that, not the RBs. no holes, means no yards.

Texasteel
08-09-2008, 06:35 PM

I know that he played quite a bit in the 2nd half, but I just didn't think Russell ran hard every play. I remember 3 plays he got hit in the backfield that he looked like he went down pretty easy.
I know its easy for me to say but he just looked strong one play and weak the next last night.

BlastFurnace
08-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Willie has shown the ability to bounce it outside and it looks like the injury isn't bothering him one bit. Rashard has shown a little glimpse he can go outside and inside. Moore too looked impressive.

You're better than that Edman. Russell basically got less than 5 carries because the Steelers had faith that Davenport could carry the load. Davenport had an outstanding game against the Rams and that bought him the starting job for the rest of the season. Russell never got the chance to show what he could do with the starters and last night, he was running behind the 2nd and 3rd string and a QB who was virtually no threat to throw. You need to be a little more fair of Russell with your analysis.

Texasteel
08-09-2008, 06:52 PM
To be honest, he wasn't running aginst the 1st string defence either.

DACEB
08-09-2008, 07:24 PM
About Russell, the man can only play when he's on the field. When given the opportunity in the Jags playoff game he played well (3 plays, I believe, got a 1st down rec.). The level of competition last night was in the Eagles favor, as we substituted earlier at every level.

Whoever denies that Russell was clearly the best short yardage back, is in denial. He was decisive, quick with a burst thru the line and finished with power. I believe he made every short yardage attempt. Time will tell.

fansince'76
08-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Whoever denies that Russell was clearly the best short yardage back, is in denial. He was decisive, quick with a burst thru the line and finished with power. I believe he made every short yardage attempt. Time will tell.

No, actually we had to settle for a FG when he got stood up for no gain on the Eagles' 2-yard line on 3rd-and-goal. He may very well be the best short yardage back we have at the moment, but if anybody thinks he's the 2nd coming of the Bus in those situations, they're kidding themselves as well.

paw-n-maul-u
08-09-2008, 07:39 PM
No, actually we had to settle for a FG when he got stood up for no gain on the Eagles' 2-yard line on 3rd-and-goal. He may very well be the best short yardage back we have at the moment, but if anybody thinks he's the 2nd coming of the Bus in those situations, they're kidding themselves as well.

I agree, I was impressed with how much power he showed on that run, He blew them both back about a foot and even stood them up for a few seconds. The Bus would have knocked them both on their ass into the endzone then do a belly bounce histep touchdown dance in the EZ.

Steeldude
08-10-2008, 11:31 AM
The Bus would have knocked them both on their ass into the endzone then do a belly bounce histep touchdown dance in the EZ

play was designed to go left. the O-line failed to open any hole. russell improvised, changed direction and went right. there wasn't much chance for russell to gain any steam against 3 defenders already moving forward. IMO, bettis would have kept going left for no gain.

my whole outlook on the running game mainly starts with the O-line. if they can't open holes then no RB is going to accomplish much.

Prok
08-10-2008, 01:43 PM

I was kinda hoping they'd given him a shot at WR and KR/PR. He is very athletic. But then again, i didn't think he looked too bad at QB. But i agree with most, he did look kinda small.

HANDSWARD
08-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I was kinda hoping they'd given him a shot at WR and KR/PR. He is very athletic.

I agree with the WR spot. Why not, it has worked for us in the past. Being a QB he has to be alot smarter than your average rookie and with his quickness he could be real handy in a spread formation lined up in the slot. The question is.... can he catch the ball?

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-10-2008, 02:59 PM

I like his game, but being the best short yardage back against the 2nd and 3rd string defense of the Eagles isnt that impressive.

He didnt show much from what I saw.......Dante Brown was WAY more impressive as the #4 RB four seasons ago and where did he end up??

steelergramie
08-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I missed the preseason game. I figured the Olympics only come around once in a while, so I watched the opening ceremonies. I was sooooo impressed with Chinas opening ceremonies. I think they did a bang up job. Hope to get to watch the next game. See Yall later, have a Blessed week.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-10-2008, 03:50 PM
This draft class could be sensational.

The fork I put into Kemo last week fell out. He did manage to pull and road grade downfield and two plays. But then it looked like he needed pure oxygen to get back to the huddle.

Why don't these guys come into camp in shape? What a way to embrace being Faneca's replacement. I'm bracing for Kemo to go down with an injury. That's how they happen. You rush an endurance build up and eventually something gives way.

KDKA tried to put me to sleep.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-10-2008, 04:49 PM
This draft class could be sensational.

The fork I put into Kemo last week fell out. He did manage to pull and road grade downfield and two plays. But then it looked like he needed pure oxygen to get back to the huddle.

Why don't these guys come into camp in shape? .

Sometimes it doesnt take long to lose your wind. I have run a marathon, several half marathons, 10k and the like. I still play 7-man contact flag football on the weekends and get the pasty tongue and winded if I have had to miss a week due to illness or injury.

Kemo will be fine. I just want to see Hampton in pads asap and end the war of wills.

DACEB
08-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Sometimes it doesnt take long to lose your wind. I have run a marathon, several half marathons, 10k and the like. I still play 7-man contact flag football on the weekends and get the pasty tongue and winded if I have had to miss a week due to illness or injury.

Kemo will be fine. I just want to see Hampton in pads asap and end the war of wills.

Many times just being uneasy in a situation and forgetting to breath properly is the cause. I'm sure he was a little nervous and he did just get back in camp. Like Gonzo said, he'll be fine.

DACEB
08-10-2008, 06:14 PM

Good call. I don't think he's the next Bus. I think he's a promising young guy. I don't expect to see much this season of him as it was last season. I just want to see the kid on the roster, he's the future.