PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Pulling The Right Strings

HometownGal
08-09-2008, 05:43 AM
I thought this was a very well written article on Tomlin's pre-season debut in his second season as Steelers HC. :thumbsup:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/steelers/s_581985.html

Savvy Tomlin pulling the right strings

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Steelers scored on their opening drive of the 2008 preseason Friday night against the Philadelphia Eagles at Heinz Field, just as they did to open the 2007 preseason in the Hall of Fame Game against the New Orleans Saints.
Coach Mike Tomlin's first drive in his first NFL game a year ago set the tone for a 4-1 exhibition record and a fast start out of the gate in the regular season.

The Steelers played with a madcap regular-season intensity last preseason. Starters and substitutes all played like the meaningless games really meant something.

For example, cornerback William Gay won a job based on what he did in preseason. It seemed like Gay, a fifth-round draft pick, made a big play in every exhibition game.

Tomlin was just getting his feet wet as a head coach in 2007. A winning record in the exhibition season meant nothing in the standings, but it meant absolutely everything to Tomlin, who didn't blow his only chance to make a good first impression.
The carryover from the preseason led to a 10-6 record and a playoff berth for the Steelers, who played their best football early before fading in the stretch.

To his credit, Tomlin is approaching his second training camp differently -- pulling back more than he did a year ago. He doesn't hesitate resting his veterans, an admission that he may have pushed the team a little too hard the first time around.

Last year, Tomlin was a rookie coach learning about his players, just as they were trying to figure him out. It was important for Tomlin to establish his authority and his coaching style -- almost as important as it was for him to have a successful campaign his first year.

This year, Tomlin is displaying more give-and-take -- more or less.

He understands his players -- what buttons to push, their strengths and weaknesses, how hard to push them and when to pull back.

Tomlin's players, in turn, understand him and his system better. If you don't believe the Steelers don't know how much they can get away with, just ask nose tackle Casey Hampton.

Still on the physically-unable-to-perform list because he reported to camp in poor condition, Hampton was given a reprieve last night from working out on the sideline while his teammates played, as he is expected to do during practices. Tomlin's punishment has become a humbling experience for Hampton, a four-time Pro Bowler.

Other than the Sean Mahan-Justin Hartwig competition at center, Hampton has been the Steelers biggest on-field story.

Hampton's lofty reputation provided Tomlin with all the motivation needed to keep his veterans in line. Regardless of a player's status -- Pro Bowler or scrub -- they know not to rub Tomlin the wrong way.

The Steelers also realize that Tomlin knows his team a lot better now. That's what the regular season is for. There will be plenty of time to prove themselves later, when the games count.

No need for Tomlin to demand the same results from his veterans this preseason. Exhibition games meant a lot more to Tomlin last year than this year.

stillers4me
08-09-2008, 06:57 AM
It's no secret I'm a huge Tomlin fan.......... I love watching him play the head games. If he is the Rooney's last decision for a head coach, they have left their beloved team in good hands for many years to come.

Texasteel
08-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Tomlin looked real comfortable last night, ofcorse the game has going pretty well for us. His rookie year behind him and the rookie mistakes out of his system, he made a few, I think he and a couple of his player will have a brake out year.

GBMelBlount
08-09-2008, 07:40 AM
He understands his players (better) -- what buttons to push, their strengths and weaknesses, how hard to push them and when to pull back.

Let's face it. Even for someone as smart and capable as Tomlin, there is a heckuvalot of learning that takes place in the first year as a head coach. I certainly hope this is his "breakout" year.

scsteeler
08-09-2008, 09:14 AM
Tomlin is and will be a very good Head coach for the Steelers! I know most of the Steel city is ready for that 6th ring. Tomlin needs be given time to grow as head coach in which I am glad that from what I read more than 90% of the fans understand this and see that Tomlin will be a very good coach.

It is crazy to expect that if Tomlin does not take this team to the Super Bowl in year 2 that his coaching style is no good and the Rooney's should look for a new coach. I think those people never liked Tomlin from the start.

Saying all that I think we can make a run this year.

Mosca
08-09-2008, 09:15 AM
He's got the human thing down pat; he is a natural leader of men and a master manipulator, in a good way. What he needs to do now is develop his game sense. Once he is 5 seconds ahead of everyone else, we'll have a great head coach.

Galax Steeler
08-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Tomlin has matured alot as a coach from last year I think he will make better decisions this year he will be a top coach in the nfl.

DACEB
08-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I like Mike!

Edman
08-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Mike Tomlin definately has the savvy and professionalism of a head coach. I don't care what the circumstances are, if you lead a team to a division title and unleash the franchise QB in your first year, you're doing pretty good.

But before I put him on a pedestal. I'd like to see him return to the playoffs and win a game to show he is no fluke.

Texasteel
08-09-2008, 06:48 PM
I would hold off on the Hall of Fame tickets as well. I think this year will tell us a lot about our young coach. If he gets us through this years schedule with 10 wins plus 2 or 3 of playoff wins, a few people will be pushing him as Coach of the Year.

Preacher
08-09-2008, 08:08 PM
I would hold off on the Hall of Fame tickets as well. I think this year will tell us a lot about our young coach. If he gets us through this years schedule with 10 wins plus 2 or 3 of playoff wins, a few people will be pushing him as Coach of the Year.

A 10-6 or better record this year with a win or two in the playoffs will be an excellent year for this team with this schedule.

I expect they will be really physically beat up come play-off time from all the tough games.

We need to win the division.... with a bye week if we want to make noise this year I think.

But heck... let's actually GET to the SEASON first!

Texasteel
08-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Couldn't agree more Preacher.

Is it just me, or did we get the schedule the Patriots should have gotten. After all they are the best team in football and won the................... never mind.

xfl2001fan
08-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Couldn't agree more Preacher.

Is it just me, or did we get the schedule the Patriots should have gotten. After all they are the best team in football and won the................... never mind.

When they switched the divisions around from 6 to 8, they changed up the schedule process with it. It's now a cyclical schedule with only two games each season based on the previous years performance.

stillers4me
08-09-2008, 09:13 PM
When they switched the divisions around from 6 to 8, they changed up the schedule process with it. It's now a cyclical schedule with only two games each season based on the previous years performance.

We know.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/sarcasm2.gif