PDA

View Full Version : Faneca Speaks On Favre's Arrival

stillers4me
08-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Well.....now ain't this interesting......... I have a feeling that moving to NY hasn't changed Big Red's attitude one bit. Interesting indeedy............. :sofunny:

FANECA SPEAKS ON FAVRE’S ARRIVAL
Posted by Mike Florio on August 9, 2008, 7:20 p.m. UTC
On Saturday, Jets Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca addressed publicly for the first time the arrival of quarterback Brett Favre.

Faneca, who joined the team in March, commented among other things on the challenges of blocking for a quarterback who likes to improvise.

“You have to be able to read into the defensive lineman or linebacker or whoever you are blocking at that time,” Faneca said in remarks circulated by the team via e-mail. “You have to be able to read him a little more. When you get a quarterback that is sitting in the pocket it’s pretty easy to guess where he is trying to get to. If you have someone that is moving around back there a little bit, the defender starts to see things a little differently. All of a sudden a guy is trying to get outside of you when the quarterback is normally sitting in the pocket so you have to adjust. You have to be ready to read that.”

And Faneca should know. He spent the past four years blocking for Ben Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh, who regularly makes things happen by getting out of the pocket.

The rest of Faneca’s responses were, for the most part, short and sweet. He said he didn’t know Favre before Favre came to the Jets, and that Faneca and Favre have exchanged basic information about Faneca’s own transition.

The Favre-Faneca relationship is definitely something to watch. Faneca probably thought he’d walk in as the leader of the offensive line, if not the entire offense. Now, it’s Favre’s show. If Faneca doesn’t like Favre and/or resents all the attention Favre is getting, things could get even more interesting in New York. :stirthepot:
Faneca is definitely in a position to influence others on the offensive line. Based on multiple media reports, Faneca’s desire to see Russ Grimm become the head coach of the Steelers in 2007 and Faneca’s apparent resistance to new offensive line coach Larry Zierlein possibly undermined the team’s ability to be as successful as possible in Mike Tomlin’s first year.

But at least Faneca didn’t greet Favre with a comment like this: “Exciting? No, it’s not exciting. Do you want to go work with some [gray haired old man who can never make up his damn mind about whether to keep playing]?”

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/08/09/faneca-speaks-on-favres-arrival/

klick81
08-09-2008, 10:26 PM
I dont see Faneca griping about who's team it is. I think he'll welcome Farve with open arms.

Atlanta Dan
08-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I dont see Faneca griping about who's team it is. I think he'll welcome Farve with open arms.

Agreed - Pennington got replaced, not Grimm

rbryan
08-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Faneca got paid. I could be the QB in NY and he'd be OK with it.

The Duke
08-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Faneca who? We got Kemoeatu :helmet:

Faneca got paid. I could be the QB in NY and he'd be OK with it.

:sofunny:

lol, exactly

But seriously I wish him good luck, now even more that favre's a jet. a reason to cheer for faneca, but I really doubt that team does anything this year

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 12:00 AM
PFFFFTTTTT.

enough said. faneca is saying it will be easier to block for favre than ben. no biggie.

redst3
08-10-2008, 04:08 AM
Am I the only one who found it odd seeing a new #66 out there Friday night?

Galax Steeler
08-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Am I the only one who found it odd seeing a new #66 out there Friday night?

Youre right that was strange i guess we will get used to it.

HometownGal
08-10-2008, 08:03 AM
I think PFT, as usual, is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Alan got the big payday he wanted and he knows he has a job to do. If he B&M's like he did here last season, he'll wish he had never left the Burgh as we all know how brutal NY fans can be. He and Favre will get along just fine - they are both vets of the game and know their roles very well.

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I think PFT, as usual, is trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. Alan got the big payday he wanted and he knows he has a job to do. If he B&M's like he did here last season, he'll wish he had never left the Burgh as we all know how brutal NY fans can be. He and Favre will get along just fine - they are both vets of the game and know their roles very well.

And that's why :stirthepot: was used. Faneca's own history makes the story intriguing.

It will be interesting to watch this relationship unfold.

:stirthepot:

revefsreleets
08-10-2008, 10:37 AM
PFT?

PFT.

Piss on PFT. Worst. Football. Website. Ever.

It's the World Weekly News of football sites.

steelreserve
08-10-2008, 07:56 PM
PFFFFTTTTT.

enough said. faneca is saying it will be easier to block for favre than ben. no biggie.

This whole thing strikes me as a non-story. No matter what Faneca says or does, I can't remember any season in history where the play of an offensive guard was the make-or-break factor for a team.

xfl2001fan
08-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Look at the Seahawks before/after Steve Hutchinson. Their running game went to hell after he left.

HANDSWARD
08-10-2008, 09:18 PM
But seriously I wish him good luck, now even more that favre's a jet. a reason to cheer for faneca, but I really doubt that team does anything this year

Forget cheering for Faneca. That guy mailed it in last year. Countless times i saw him put no effort forth. I cheered his departure. Just cause he knew it was his last year in black and gold doesn't mean you just stop doing your job. Don't get me wrong, he was great for us for many years, but to leave on that note.....unprofessional.

Scalaid6
08-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Forget cheering for Faneca. That guy mailed it in last year. Countless times i saw him put no effort forth. I cheered his departure. Just cause he knew it was his last year in black and gold doesn't mean you just stop doing your job. Don't get me wrong, he was great for us for many years, but to leave on that note.....unprofessional.

I agree wholeheartedly add to that the other O-Lineman confiming that He would nix what the O-Line coach taught and do things on his own. The Line problems started and ended with fanaca. Did you see how fluid the Line was vs the Eagles? There were running lanes, Ben had time, there was cohesiveness. I said it before and I will say it again, Kemo will be our best lineman. When we play the Bills WATCH the guy, his hand game is SPECTACULAR and he is SOOOO physical, good riddance fanaca.

SteelersJW
08-11-2008, 06:44 PM
I heard Faneca was a big reason why Favre wanted to go to the Jets. I hope the two play good together.

PalmerSteel
08-11-2008, 07:13 PM
Look at the Seahawks before/after Steve Hutchinson. Their running game went to hell after he left.

gee, that wouldnt have anything to do with the complete implosion of performance by alexander now would it? after all he is the most sought after free agent right now huh? lol.....not! :chuckle:

xfl2001fan
08-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Alexander ran just as tentative last year as he did two years ago...the big difference, no strong left side to run behind. Even Walter Jones play slipped last year without Hutchinson by his side.

A good guard can make the guys on either side of him much better.

I'd be willing to say that Joe Thomas Pro Bowl year wouldn't have been possible with Steinbach next to him. An average left guard would have significantly reduced his abilities.

revefsreleets
08-11-2008, 10:48 PM
But, by all accounts, Kemo is going to be an upgrade at LG as far as run blocking.

The Duke
08-12-2008, 04:10 PM
But, by all accounts, Kemo is going to be an upgrade at LG as far as run blocking.

run blocking? I'd say overall better than alan's pay last year, and without the bad attitude

better than faneca's career? that remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful....

xfl2001fan
08-12-2008, 04:42 PM

The real issue is going to be whether or not he's better at pass blocking...if the OC really does intend to open up the passing game.

PalmerSteel
08-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Alexander ran just as tentative last year as he did two years ago...the big difference, no strong left side to run behind. Even Walter Jones play slipped last year without Hutchinson by his side.

A good guard can make the guys on either side of him much better.

it is some of the difference but the biggest difference is because alexander got his money 2 years ago and has been week before the ink even dried, and all of a sudden NO ONE in the nfl wants him anymore

xfl2001fan
08-12-2008, 09:03 PM
The fact that they ran him to death before paying him means nothing? I think the magic number is something like 320...any more carries than that in a season...and the back's career is going to go significantly downhill from there.

revefsreleets
08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
So which is it? You were quoting Hutch's departure as killing Seattle's run game, but now it's all about the pass? I don't get it...

PalmerSteel
08-13-2008, 05:43 PM
The fact that they ran him to death before paying him means nothing? I think the magic number is something like 320...any more carries than that in a season...and the back's career is going to go significantly downhill from there.

oh, but i thought it was because hutchinson was gone?

xfl2001fan
08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
oh, but i thought it was because hutchinson was gone?

Yup, with Hutchinson gone, all of Alexander's deficiencies came to light.

xfl2001fan
08-13-2008, 07:01 PM
So which is it? You were quoting Hutch's departure as killing Seattle's run game, but now it's all about the pass? I don't get it...

They had to pass because they couldn't run. Even Coach Holmplegm admitted it last year.

revefsreleets
08-14-2008, 09:30 AM
So that means....(scratching head and trying to connect your dots) the Steelers will need to run more because they won't be able to pass?

I'm sure you are trying to make some statement about how awful for us the departure of Faneca will be, I just, for the life of my, can't figure out what it actually is.

PalmerSteel
08-14-2008, 04:15 PM
So that means....(scratching head and trying to connect your dots) the Steelers will need to run more because they won't be able to pass?

I'm sure you are trying to make some statement about how awful for us the departure of Faneca will be, I just, for the life of my, can't figure out what it actually is.

your not alone. he isnt exactly sure what statement he is trying to make.

xfl2001fan
08-14-2008, 05:57 PM

No, this has nothing to do with the Steelers or Faneca. Some people think "it's only a guard" like a good (or bad) guard can't have a significant impact on the line.

If Alan was as big a disruption on the line last year as has been written about here...then I am really not going to like your offense. If Arians is really implementing portions of a West Coast scheme, then I am really not going to like your offense.

Seattle had to pass more because their running game was absolutely abysmal last season. Because they run a West Coast offense, they use the short passing game as a substitute for the run. It worked for them.

Having success with one portion of the offense generally opens up the other. That wasn't the case with Seattle, they became one-dimensional because they couldn't run whatsoever. The left side of their line took a huge hit when Steve left. He was a great LG who still performs at a pretty high level.

Do you believe that Adrian Peterson's emergence last season would have been possible if a lesser guard was in there? Steve made the LT (already pretty good) and the C much better with his play...allowing a talented running back to have some stellar games. If the QB develops in Minnesota improves, they could be a very dangerous offense.

If Seattle's line doesn't shape up, then Hasselbeck's arm is going to get real tired this season.

steelreserve
08-14-2008, 06:11 PM
No, this has nothing to do with the Steelers or Faneca. Some people think "it's only a guard" like a good (or bad) guard can't have a significant impact on the line.

I'm one of those people -- well, I'm not saying the guards have NO impact. But if one of the tackles or the center sucks, that tends to have a much worse effect on the offense.

You've got to worry about those positions on the line first in order just to be adequate. And then if you can get some good guards to go with them, that's awesome.

Let me put it this way: If a team has an All-Pro guard but a weak tackle, is that going to be a good offensive line? If you don't have a solid tackle and center, that can be a weak link that messes up the whole offense, kind of like how one bad cornerback can mess up the whole defense. Guards just don't strike me the same way.

xfl2001fan
08-14-2008, 06:44 PM
A good or bad lineman (regardless of where on the line) has a significant impact on the guys next to them.

[mini-hijack]I'm a firm believer that Eric S. helped make Joe Thomas (a good LT) and Hank Fraley (a semi-decent center) significantly better, because they had little to worry about what was going on between them. An average guard is going to bring their play value significantly down...because they have much more to focus on. [/mini-hijack]

The Vikings went from a good line to a great line when Steve came over. He significantly helped that McKinney guy become a much better tackle, because he didn't have to worry about the guy to his right and what kind of pressure might be coming through there.

Walter Jones, on the other hand, saw his performance drop last year.

Coincidence? Methinx not!

While I don't know that I've changed your mind regarding this, I would at least like for you to open up to the possibility that I'm discussing.

Now, if it comes down to having an all-pro at tackle and a weak guard, or vice versa (with all things, age, health etc... being equal) I'd take the tackle...as it seems easier to find replacement/average guards. I just think that maybe Steve is semi-underrated to the average football fan. The guys who only know his name if he's voted to a pro-bowl.