PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign both Culpepper and Leftwich

BlastFurnace
08-09-2008, 10:07 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=444019

Interesting

CantStop85
08-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Well then...so much for having to choose just one.

paw-n-maul-u
08-09-2008, 10:15 PM
whaaaaaaa ... oh well, it'll be cool watching them in a couple preseason games, other than that, I don't really care.

The only thing that would bother me is If we have to see them at any point during this season as a starter.

1-ben is hurt for a decent amount of time.

2-charlie batch is not back yet ... which means that it is early in the season.

Ben being injured at the beginning of the season for an extended amount of time ... with this schedule ... there is no way we can compete.

HometownGal
08-09-2008, 10:17 PM
I'd personally prefer Culpepper, but we'll see who wins the backup spot. I like Culpepper's mobility and he's a smart QB. He hasn't played much in recent seasons but I think he'd be a good fit in the Steelers system. :thumbsup:

BlastFurnace
08-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I wonder if they did inquire about Kelly Holcombe. He did retire this offseason, but about $200,000k just to sit on the bench isn't too bad..is it? Might help pay for gas prices.

Atlanta Dan
08-09-2008, 10:24 PM
So hopefully they just pay plane fare to bring both into camp?

If they actually sign one of these guys to a contract where do the Steelers get the $$ under the cap? - does Batch not count against the cap if he goes on IR (which IMO is where this may be heading)

klick81
08-09-2008, 10:30 PM
I never thought I'd be reading that headline. Freakin Twilight Zone up in here.

stillers4me
08-09-2008, 10:40 PM
I never thought I'd be reading that headline. Freakin Twilight Zone up in here.

I know what you mean. It will be really strange seeing either of those names on a Steelers jersey. :doh:

FearTroy43
08-09-2008, 10:42 PM
as cool as i think it will be to see both of them in stillers jerseys, i dont really understand it. What is going to happen when batch comes back? is batch going to stay as the 2, and culpepper or leftwich (the one that makes the team) becomes the 3? what will we do with dixon? he can be a dynamic player for us and i think he deserves a chance on the team. so then do we keep 4 quarterbacks? doubtful, last year we started the season with 2, and st pierre on the practice squad. we wont be able to put dixon on the practice squad, hed get picked up. so what do we do when batch comes back is what i want to know

FEARTROY43

rbryan
08-09-2008, 10:43 PM
I never liked either one of them, this is going to take some getting used to.

Elvis
08-09-2008, 10:46 PM
I dont think that they will put Batch on the IR for sure. Wouldnt that mean that he is out a certain amount of time or the season?
I dont like either of these guys that the Steelers signed myself. Kelly Holcomb could atleast get out of the way if someone was running at him
:noidea:

rbryan
08-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Batch is done.....I know thats hard for some of you to accept, he's too old to begin with and now he's got a broken collarbone......I love CB and wish him well in his retirement, but this has been coming for a while now.

Dixon looked like a JR High kid playing with men. I think somebody threw him in the dryer, it looks like he shrunk since draft day.

tony hipchest
08-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I wonder if they did inquire about Kelly Holcombe. He did retire this offseason, but about $200,000k just to sit on the bench isn't too bad..is it? Might help pay for gas prices.veteran minimum is about $760,000.

batch costs $2 mil. leftwich and culpepper could each be signed for a mil a piece with ULTBE (unlikeley to be earned bonuses) based on playing time. if they earn them, anything extra would cost towards next years camp. it could be a 2 for 1 deal.

not that i think this is what will happen, but batch could easilly be cut and given an injury settlement and we dont have to fir anything under the cap.

either way, this makes us better in preseason considering the limited action ben will be seeing. im looking forward to it.

culpepper hasnt had weapons like sweed, holmes, hines, heath in a long time. (just dont let him and moore rent a boat on the river)

leftwich has never had those types of weapons.

klick81
08-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Batch is done.....

Hard to accept, but I think you may be right. Too bad...I've always felt comfortable having him on the field (as a back-up).

tony hipchest
08-09-2008, 10:57 PM
I dont think that they will put Batch on the IR for sure. Wouldnt that mean that he is out a certain amount of time or the season?
I dont like either of these guys that the Steelers signed myself. Kelly Holcomb could atleast get out of the way if someone was running at him
:noidea:didnt culpepper rush for like 3 td's vs the dolphins last year? :noidea:

holcomb is ancient. when was the last game he played?

CantStop85
08-09-2008, 10:59 PM

The Steelers will probably end up putting Batch on the Physically Unable to Perform list up until week 6 and then make a decision at that point. I'd say if they feel comfortable with Culpepper/Leftwich by then or Batch hasn't fully recovered yet, then they'll just go ahead and put him on the season-ending Injured Reserve list.

BlastFurnace
08-09-2008, 11:12 PM
culpepper hasnt had weapons like sweed, holmes, hines, heath in a long time. (just dont let him and moore rent a boat on the river)

leftwich has never had those types of weapons.

Nice comments about Culpepper. He was left with nothing when Randy was traded.

The boat comment was hilarious. Keep in mind, Tomlin was in Minnesota that season as well, but I bet he wasn't with "The Men" on the boat.

Edman
08-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Wow. Who seen this coming? It's like Madden...

That says a lot about Charlie's injury when BOTH QB's are signed. Maybe Charlie's injuries are worse than we thought. Oh well, maybe one of them or BOTH of them will be gone when the season begins. That also means that Potts or Dixon is going to be cut sometime soon.

BlastFurnace
08-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Wow. Who seen this coming? It's like Madden...

That says a lot about Charlie's injury when BOTH QB's are signed. Maybe Charlie's injuries are worse than we thought. Oh well, maybe one of them or BOTH of them will be gone when the season begins. That also means that Potts or Dixon is going to be cut sometime soon.

I bet they keep one of them and make Dixon #3. Now that he has shown that his knee is ok, I doubt we keep him if he goes to the practice squad.

19ward86
08-09-2008, 11:17 PM
what in the hell, i like them both but we only need 1 guy and i think Cullpepper is a better QB for us.

The Duke
08-09-2008, 11:17 PM
so no favre trade huh. bummer

Don't like either, but maybe they'll learn something from big ben. in that case culpepper could

didnt culpepper rush for like 3 td's vs the dolphins last year? :noidea:

yeah, aganst the dolphins. I bet leftwich could do it :chuckle:

X-Terminator
08-09-2008, 11:24 PM

No actually, he can't. He's about as mobile as the Statue of Liberty. His only decent quality is that he has a quick release...other than that, he doesn't have anything that Culpepper and Leftwich don't (Culpepper is WAY more mobile than Holcomb ever was or will be). Plus, he is an interception machine. Don't let his one decent season in 2002 with the Browns fool you into thinking he's something that he's not.

Edman
08-09-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm placing my bets that Culpepper is the one who blows it and gets cut. Dixon stays the number 3 so his skills are dev. Potts gets cut. I say Culpepper because he's malcontent and his skills diminished drastically since his 2004 all-pro form.

Byron was never anyone special, but then again neither was Charlie when the Steelers brought him in.

The million dollar question is wether these former starters are willing to stave off their egos and be backups to Ben.

steelreserve
08-09-2008, 11:38 PM
I think this signals our true intention: a plan to use them both at the same time along with Ben and Dixon in a new 4-quarterback offense.

Maybe our goal is to sign EVERY quarterback and just go with 11 QBs on the field at a time, gradually making the transition to a rugby team.

xfl2001fan
08-09-2008, 11:40 PM
when did Jon Gruden become your HC?

Elvis
08-10-2008, 12:16 AM
No actually, he can't. He's about as mobile as the Statue of Liberty. His only decent quality is that he has a quick release...other than that, he doesn't have anything that Culpepper and Leftwich don't (Culpepper is WAY more mobile than Holcomb ever was or will be). Plus, he is an interception machine. Don't let his one decent season in 2002 with the Browns fool you into thinking he's something that he's not.
:noidea: OK

I just think that it is a joke that the Steelers would actually sign both players anyway

jjpro11
08-10-2008, 12:22 AM
i have to admit.. it will be pretty cool to see culpepper at camp in person. i enjoyed watching him airing it out with moss back in his vikings days. i know he is past his prime, but he was a great qb at one time.

billybob
08-10-2008, 12:44 AM
Thank the
steeler gods that they will be keeping the benches warm.Batch sat there for a few years.Least when he got the nod he would win.we shall see.

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 01:14 AM
:noidea: OK

I just think that it is a joke that the Steelers would actually sign both players anywayi cant believe so many people dont get it.

the steelers hedged their bets. they get a trial run before making an ultimate decision. both seem so equal. its like being faced the tough decision between p. manning and r. leaf, that ultimately comes down to a "coinflip, and having 3 preseason games to make a decision. dont you think the lions woulda liked to try out steven jackson and k. jones before they had to select?

best case scenario-

pep and leftwich look like worldbeaters in pre-season, somebody trades for chris simms, 2 more 2nd string or higher qbs get injured, and voila! we have potential to trade one for a 6th or 7th round pick for nothing more than giving a tryout.

worst case scenario- they pick the best one with no regrets (proactive enough to not leave it up to a "coinflip) and cut the other.

this is a brilliant move by the steelers. i think the competition amongst eachother without the added pressure of being the starter is going to bring out the best of both these guys ESPECIALLY when they get a tast of the talent and professionalism of the :helmet:Pittsburgh Steelers::helmet:

look at the recent teams they have played for. miami, oakland, and atlanta (and jax w/ no receivers). the 3 worst teams in footbal the last few years if you count their self destructive behavior. The mike vick led falcons? the saban led dolphins? the al davis led raiders? :dang:

2 coaches who up and quit on their team + lane kiffen who was almost pushed out the door? all the millions of dollars pissed into the wind with these people? those teams waste money. the steelers dont.

in fact, if i were omar kahn, and being culpepper is his own agent, i could sit with him for 15 minutes and convince to sign with the steelers for a mil+ incentives, and we'd resurrect his career.

im sure both are studying the heck out of that playbook right now.

ShutDown24
08-10-2008, 01:16 AM
I never liked either one of them, this is going to take some getting used to.

^ I pretty much agree. I wouldn't say I dislike either either of them, but I don't like them in the B&G...

OneForTheToe
08-10-2008, 01:17 AM
as cool as i think it will be to see both of them in stillers jerseys, i dont really understand it. What is going to happen when batch comes back? is batch going to stay as the 2, and culpepper or leftwich (the one that makes the team) becomes the 3? what will we do with dixon? he can be a dynamic player for us and i think he deserves a chance on the team. so then do we keep 4 quarterbacks? doubtful, last year we started the season with 2, and st pierre on the practice squad. we wont be able to put dixon on the practice squad, hed get picked up. so what do we do when batch comes back is what i want to know

FEARTROY43

First, welcome to the board FearTroy43. Second, I believe you are mistaken about the Steelers only having two qb’s on the roster last season. St Pierre was not eligible for the practice squad last season. Instead he was put on the roster as the third QB, but deactivated for games and designated the emergency QB, who can only come in if the #1 and #2 qb's go down. Deactivated players, whether they are the emergency QB or not, do count on the roster.

OneForTheToe
08-10-2008, 01:20 AM
I think this signals our true intention: a plan to use them both at the same time along with Ben and Dixon in a new 4-quarterback offense.

Maybe our goal is to sign EVERY quarterback and just go with 11 QBs on the field at a time, gradually making the transition to a rugby team.

No 5 quarterbacks, 5 TE's and a center.

We will call it the Gruden/Arians clusterf*ck offense

Preacher
08-10-2008, 01:23 AM

Nope.

QB's are too brittle to be Rugby players. :thumbsup:

billybob
08-10-2008, 01:26 AM
If it is for the good of the team as a whole,let it be.

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 01:28 AM
^ I pretty much agree. I wouldn't say I dislike either either of them, but I don't like them in the B&G...i like them alot better in the b&g than with the raiders, falcons, or dolphins. those teams suck.

alot of people say these 2 qb's suck. alot of people also say tom brady would suck with a team such as the 3 above. so which is it? im pretty sure brady wouldnt look nearly as good with them and a hell of alot better with the steelers.

maybe these 2 caught a raw deal. whose to say leftwich wouldnt have done better than gerrard last season?

they need to learn the playbook though.

OneForTheToe
08-10-2008, 01:34 AM
here is the a question: how long will it take for the "rat birds" to scoop up the one of those two we end up cutting?

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 01:52 AM
it depends on which qb theyre willing to cut. but if smith or flaco is hurt they will definitely be wanting one of them. in that case the price goes up to a 5th round pick for them.

these 2 will remain steelers until the final cut. and if healthy i think the ravens are committed to their 3qb's (or else why wouldnt they have made a move yet to get them into camp?)

OneForTheToe
08-10-2008, 01:58 AM
I agree they don't need either one of them. However did they really need "frenchie" after we cut him in 05 or 06? I'm thinking "mind-meld" for the play book.

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 02:24 AM
I agree they don't need either one of them. However did they really need "frenchie" after we cut him in 05 or 06? I'm thinking "mind-meld" for the play book.oh yeah, st. pierre definitely gave up the playbook. the ravens have always went after steelers qb's who knew it. but why would they grab a player who gets cut for not being able to know it after just 3 weeks of familiarity with it?

Steelman16
08-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Interesting move, didn't really see it coming. But then again, the Steelers FO is always one step ahead. Completely agree with Tony's post on the previous page or two.

I liked Culpepper before injuries derailed his career, and then he faded into obvlivion.

Leftwhich, I have a bad impression of, which may not be fair. I guess I'll find out. Isn't Leftwhich a lefty? If so, would that cause and difficulties for the line/etc? Just curious. Not real sure about the switch from right to left.

Either way, both QB's have nothing to lose and everything to prove, which is a good thing IMO. If the line plays like it did on Friday week in and week out, we won't have any reason to see either guy on the field. (unless Bart Scott decides to play push n' shove with Ben again...)

redst3
08-10-2008, 04:52 AM
but if smith or flaco is hurt they will definitely be

From the looks of the other night, Flacco will soon be on his back-o in a sack-o. The Ravens will be looking for sure if they do try to go with him.

About the signings- it could be that the Steelers didn't like what they saw from Potts and Dixon Friday night and are looking to keep one of the two new guys when Charlie does come back, perhaps releasing Dixon or making him a Practice Squad player.

Aussie_steeler
08-10-2008, 05:22 AM
i cant believe so many people dont get it.

the steelers hedged their bets. they get a trial run before making an ultimate decision. both seem so equal. its like being faced the tough decision between p. manning and r. leaf, that ultimately comes down to a "coinflip, and having 3 preseason games to make a decision. dont you think the lions woulda liked to try out steven jackson and k. jones before they had to select?

best case scenario-

pep and leftwich look like worldbeaters in pre-season, somebody trades for chris simms, 2 more 2nd string or higher qbs get injured, and voila! we have potential to trade one for a 6th or 7th round pick for nothing more than giving a tryout.

worst case scenario- they pick the best one with no regrets (proactive enough to not leave it up to a "coinflip) and cut the other.

this is a brilliant move by the steelers. i think the competition amongst eachother without the added pressure of being the starter is going to bring out the best of both these guys ESPECIALLY when they get a tast of the talent and professionalism of the :helmet:Pittsburgh Steelers::helmet:

Bingo Tony. I agree that this is a very smart move. The steelers are now holding all the cards should another team lose a QB in the preseason. The only other QB likely to be a free agent will be the odd man out in Miami.

I think Batch, Culpepper or Leftwich will have some trade value ( very late pick) in the first half of the season if a team loses a QB for the season.

One of Culpepper or Leftwich will be cut from the final 53. Potts is gone and Dixon will remain the 3rd QB.

I have no problems with this at all.

Galax Steeler
08-10-2008, 06:44 AM
I think cullpepper would be a better choice then Leftwich as for Dixon I see him as a number 3 quarterback he has the potential to do better.

Texasteel
08-10-2008, 07:01 AM
I've alway thought more of Culpepper. Just like the name I guess, Donnnntaaa Cuuullpeppppper.

Elvis
08-10-2008, 07:16 AM
I still havent read anywhere where the Steelers have actually signed either one of these guys.. sportingnews is the only one saying anything, but nothing on steelers.com or nfl.com. Kind of makes me wonder

Elvis
08-10-2008, 07:33 AM
According to Ed Bouchette, the Steelers have Not Signed Either Player yet
:coffee:

GBMelBlount
08-10-2008, 07:45 AM
TonyHipchest
I think the competition amongst each other (Culpepper & Leftwich) without the added pressure of being the starter is going to bring out the best of both these guys ESPECIALLY when they get a taste of the talent and professionalism of the Pittsburgh Steelers:

Great way to look at it imo. Culpepper w/ weapons could be a good combination.

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Wow, I was just thinking.......can our off/pre season get any weirder????

First is the unimaginable concept of the Steelers no longer being owned by the Rooney family and now quarterbacks with names like Leftwich and Culpepper in wearing black and gold. If we keep at least one of these guys, and now that they have real weapons and a real coach and a real team around them, they could shine. And that's going to make Ben even better to have that competition around him. You know how Tomlin loves that as a motivating tool! (Not that I feel for a minute that Ben's job is in jeopardy from either of these guys.....but hey, Tomlin loves the head games!)

Hold on to your seats, people! It's just the bizarre kind of beginning that could leave us laughing our butts off when we're watching Tomlin hold up that Lombardi! Who would have ever thought we could do that back when Batch was covering for Ben after his knee surgery? Always keep the faith!

43Hitman
08-10-2008, 08:22 AM
I saw in NFL Network this morning that both Culpepper and Leftwich are in Pittsburgh today for a work-out. (Adam Shefter reported it)

If it was up to me I would hope that Culpepper wins the back-up job. I am sure he is more fleet of foot than Leftwich.

Edman
08-10-2008, 09:07 AM
I may have to warn some of you about Leftwich. For all his toughness, the biggest knock on Byron in Jacksonville is the lack of touch on his passes. His arm is akin to that of a gun. Good for a few blasters, but little accuracy.

We'll see what happens, though.

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 09:07 AM
Today would be a fun day to watch training camp.

BlastFurnace
08-10-2008, 09:26 AM
I still havent read anywhere where the Steelers have actually signed either one of these guys.. sportingnews is the only one saying anything, but nothing on steelers.com or nfl.com. Kind of makes me wonder

Now, that has me wondering as well. The same guy...Mike Florio...who is in charge of profootballtalk.com is also a writer for TSN.

There has got to be some smoke to this fire. I'm sure it will be resolved before today is over.

Let's face it though, when it comes to speedy delivery of roster cuts or moves, the Steelers find it a sport to make their fans wait.

GBMelBlount
08-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said that Batch won't be placed on the injured reserve list, which would end his season.

Given that and the use of a draft pick on Dixon, any veteran the Steelers sign would likely be with the team until Batch's return.

That could make it difficult for the team to work out a contract with a veteran, who may be looking for more long-term security.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/08-10-Steelers-QB-situation

redst3
08-10-2008, 09:49 AM
So the bottom line is neither guy is signed yet (?) and both are in town for a look.

OneForTheToe
08-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I say we sign Ben's sister as his back-up. She seemed liked a good athlete. Of course, I'm not sure how Ben would feel about her being around the guys. How about Darra Torres then? Did you see the arms on that gal? Not wanting to pick on poor Charlie Batch, but I think she could kick his *ss.:coffee:

fordfan485
08-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Guy's this story is complete BS look at the source and they are the only people reporting this. If you think the Rooney's would spend more than they have to right now your crazy.

billybob
08-10-2008, 12:07 PM
I'm sure Bubby Brister is out there some where.LOL

SteelersTilIDie
08-10-2008, 12:20 PM

FEARTROY43

When Batch comes back, if they don't put him on IR, they will probably cut Culpepper/Leftwich, whichever one they kept, or if culpepper/leftwich does good they might cut batch, you never know.

billybob
08-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I have not read or heard anywhere except this site that they have signed either one of these guys.This really is a soap opera site.

fansince'76
08-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I have not read or heard anywhere except this site that they have signed either one of these guys.This really is a soap opera site.

It was actually the Sporting News that reported it. Another sports publication I've now lost a lot of respect for.

Fire Haley
08-10-2008, 12:58 PM
It was actually the Sporting News that reported it. Another sports publication I've now lost a lot of respect for.

It was Mike Florio from PFT writing his own article in the Sporting News.
He does that....and run a rumor-mill at the same time - -quite the gig.

"Mike Florio writes and edits ProFootballTalk.com and writes two columns a week for Sporting News"

billybob
08-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I have been listening to kdka am radio and there is no mention of this what soever.
Seems they have layed off the offensive line a little though.
saw that coming a mile away.

lilyoder6
08-10-2008, 01:25 PM
i think it woul be 2 much of a cluter to have all of those qb's

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 01:26 PM
The Leftwich part is confirmed by the PG.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08223/903202-66.stm

Culpepper is mentioned by the Trib, but not confirmed.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08223/903202-66.stm

As ar as PFT goes, Florio clearly backs most of his stories by links to other articles or sources. If it's simply a rumor or his opinion, that's pretty clear too. If someone takes for verbatum everything on there with out a link to confirm the source, then that's their problem.

fansince'76
08-10-2008, 01:38 PM
As ar as PFT goes, Florio clearly backs most of his stories by links to other articles or sources. If it's simply a rumor or his opinion, that's pretty clear too. If someone takes for verbatum everything on there with out a link to confirm the source, then that's their problem.

I tend to look at EVERYTHING quoted from PFT with a jaundiced and skeptical eye. From here on out, I'm going to question the credibility of things I read quoted from the Sporting News as well. Spreading gossip as fact isn't cool in my book.

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 01:55 PM
I tend to look at EVERYTHING quoted from PFT with a jaundiced and skeptical eye. From here on out, I'm going to question the credibility of things I read quoted from the Sporting News as well. Spreading gossip as fact isn't cool in my book.

I'm not really trying to defend it or anything, but it's very clear to me what's fact and what's a rumor. Facts have links printed boldly in red, and he clearly states that such and such is a rumor coming from a particular camp. If it later becomes fact, you will see a link to support it. I don't find that confusing at all. He seems to have a lot of contacts in growing numbers across the league, because most of the rumors, do indeed turn out to be fact.

fansince'76
08-10-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm not really trying to defend it or anything, but it's very clear to me what's fact and what's a rumor. Facts have links printed boldly in red, and he clearly states that such and such is a rumor coming from a particular camp. If it later becomes fact, you will see a link to support it. I don't find that confusing at all. He seems to have a lot of contacts in growing numbers across the league, because most of the rumors, do indeed turn out to be fact.

Doesn't look like he has acknowledged this as rumor.

With backup quarterback Charlie Batch out of action, the Pittsburgh Steelers have signed free agents Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper.

How is Leftwich "signed?" Looks to me to be about as "done" as the Booger McFarland deal was when a lot of people thought he was "signed." They bought him a plane ticket to come talk to them. That's about it at this point.

Byron Leftwich, until recently among the most promising young starting quarterbacks in the NFL, could join the Steelers today as the replacement for injured backup Charlie Batch.

Before Leftwich boarded a jet in Atlanta last evening for the trip to Pittsburgh, he said he would welcome playing behind Ben Roethlisberger.

"They have an opportunity to win it all," Leftwich said. "To be part of that, if I can help, that's my mind-set. I'm just trying to get back out there."

The Steelers were talking to agent Tom Condon last night about a possible contract. Leftwich said it was his understanding that he would not work out before any possible deal was struck. The Steelers resume practice at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe today.

HANDSWARD
08-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Whatever happens, the need for another QB is crystal clear with Batch going down. I personally lean towards Leftwich, just cause I think he has that toughness that every Steeler must have. I will never forget the Marshall offensive line carrying him down the field against Akron.

FANATIC_11866
08-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I think we've got a good backup QB, Charlie Batch is awesome. Also we drafted one. Does the staff not have any faith in Big Ben or what? And I agree with rbryan...I never really liked either one myself.

FANATIC_11866
08-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Batch is down?? When did this happen? Is this confirmed? (I just saw fansince'76 post)???

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Doesn't look like he has acknowledged this as rumor.

How is Leftwich "signed?" Looks to me to be about as "done" as the Booger McFarland deal was when a lot of people thought he was "signed." They bought him a plane ticket to come talk to them. That's about it at this point.

You read way too much into what is a Blog site. Facts have links. If you take anything else from there without a link then ...hey.......it's a blog. It seems like a whole lot of people go to this site even though they they "don't believe a word of it". Just sayin'.........

fansince'76
08-10-2008, 02:49 PM
You read way too much into what is a Blog site. Facts have links. If you take anything else from there without a link then ...hey.......it's a blog. It seems like a whole lot of people go to this site even though they they "don't believe a word of it". Just sayin'.........

How did I "read too much into it?" He said, without a doubt, that both were signed. I questioned the validity of that statement with a quote from, IMO, a more credible source. I think I made myself pretty clear about how seriously I take blog sites very recently.

Exactly. Gee, if I start a blog, will that make me an expert too? :coffee:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=418126#post418126

BlastFurnace
08-10-2008, 03:01 PM
How did I "read too much into it?" He said, without a doubt, that both were signed. I questioned the validity of that statement with a quote from, IMO, a more credible source. I think I made myself pretty clear about how seriously I take blog sites very recently.

I forgot that Florio writes for TSN as well. I thought TSN was a credible source. Sorry for the post.

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 03:06 PM

Ok...I just went to PFT and the last story on the subjuect was written yesterday and nowhere does it state that anyone has been "signed" but his source to where it's stated that both were being considered is clearly linked. If anyone gets that anyone was signed out of that story ......well , can't help ya.

A league source tells PFT that the Pittsburgh Steelers will add not one but two veteran backup quarterbacks.

Per the source, after Charlie Batch suffered a broken collarbone in the preseason opener, the Steelers are bringing on both Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper.

Pete Prisco of Sportsline (link inserted here) reported today that the Steelers were considering both veterans.

Batch was injured during Friday night’s preseason opener and will apparently be out for an extended period of time. After Ben Roethlisberger, the team had no other veteran quarterbacks on the roster, with only Dennis Dixon and Mike Potts behind Batch on the depth chart.

They are simply referring to a source of information. What's the big deal.. Geez......Some take this is stuff.......way to seriously.

fansince'76
08-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Ok...I just went to PFT and the last story on the subjuect was written yesterday and nowhere does it state that anyone has been "signed" but his source to where it's stated that both were being considered is clearly linked. If anyone gets that anyone was signed out of that story ......well , can't help ya.

From link (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=444019) in OP:

Posted: August 9, 2008
Sporting News staff reports

With backup quarterback Charlie Batch out of action, the Pittsburgh Steelers have signed free agents Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper.

I never said anything about PFT being the source of the quote in this thread, either. Anyone who thinks I did, sorry, can't help ya.

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 03:18 PM
From link (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=444019) in OP:

And I actually quoted straight from PFT. Really, you come across quite hateful about silly things. I apologize if this got off on the wrong track because usually I enjoy your posts.

fansince'76
08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
And I actually quoted straight from PFT. Really, you come across quite hateful about silly things. I apologize if this got off on the wrong track because usually I enjoy your posts.

And you came across as quite patronizing and condescending. I am quite capable of distinguishing fact from rumor, believe it or not.

stillers4me
08-10-2008, 03:28 PM
And you came across as quite patronizing and condescending. I am quite capable of distinguishing fact from rumor, believe it or not.

And so am I.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-10-2008, 03:39 PM
:injured:

The future is here. We and Big Ben got a break when Maddox went down. We and Dennis Dixon got a break when Batch went down.

Charlie's a solid Steeler. Maybe subconsciously he wanted out because self-preservation went to hell by that quest to gain three more yards in a worthless game. Maybe he's pulling for Dixon.

But Culpepper and Leftwich? Are NFL backup QB's trying to make Pittsburgh sport medical clinics wealthier already. With the inability to hold a pocket intact how exactly do 'blue hair' athletes intend to square up downfield? What's the over-under on these two making it onto the stretcher by September?

Clear away the has-beens and give the snaps to Dixon. Get this cat up to speed with the playbook because the God-given ability that he possesses is radioactive.

warddj86
08-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Leftwich is a waste

PisnNapalm
08-10-2008, 04:38 PM
There is a reason neither Leftwich or Culpepper were on teams rosters.... I guess it's better than having Hines Ward in at QB.

slashsteel
08-10-2008, 04:50 PM
The guy from PFT does a few articles for the Sporting News. That should tell you everything you need to know.........

LVSteelersfan
08-10-2008, 06:37 PM
There is a reason neither Leftwich or Culpepper were on teams rosters.... I guess it's better than having Hines Ward in at QB.

I don't like either one of them. Inconsistent and bad decision makers under pressure. I find it interesting that the coach is bringing in these two QBs to look at despite their worthlessness the past couple of years. I don't care how bad the teams were that they were on. They both looked absolutely pathetic for the most part. Might as well bring Kordell back to town because they are all the same flaky, inaccurate passing QBs. Of course we are banking on the fact that Ben will stay healthy all year. Keep the old fingers crossed because there will be no joy in Mudville with Dixon, Culpepper or Leftwitch if something happens.

X-Terminator
08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't like either one of them. Inconsistent and bad decision makers under pressure. I find it interesting that the coach is bringing in these two QBs to look at despite their worthlessness the past couple of years. I don't care how bad the teams were that they were on. They both looked absolutely pathetic for the most part. Might as well bring Kordell back to town because they are all the same flaky, inaccurate passing QBs. Of course we are banking on the fact that Ben will stay healthy all year. Keep the old fingers crossed because there will be no joy in Mudville with Dixon, Culpepper or Leftwitch if something happens.

You think we would have been better off if Ben got hurt and Batch would be behind center? Because if his play in his limited time last season and on Friday night were any indication, the Steelers would still be screwed.

I'll take my chances with Leftwich or Culpepper in that scenario.

fansince'76
08-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Closing - only Leftwich has been signed: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=26443