PDA

View Full Version : LeBeau's take on Spygate

tony hipchest
08-10-2008, 01:31 AM
http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_582051.html

LeBeau, speaking recently from Steelers training camp in Latrobe, says his signals did not change appreciably from one game to the next.

As such, did the Patriots have an advantage in the AFC title game, which they won, 41-27?

"I don't see how it could hurt 'em," LeBeau said. "But that's not for me to decide. We have to play a little bit better in those situations."

LeBeau said the Steelers always have used "safeguards" against signals being stolen. Those have included sending in calls with substitutes. But when teams ran a no-huddle offense, as the Patriots did, hand signals were the only means by which to get the calls in fast enough.

"Basically, we haven't changed the signals that much because you don't want to confuse your own guys," LeBeau said. "And when the other team is not huddling up, the signals were the only way, at that time, you could get your defense to your people."

That will change this season. The NFL has instituted helmet transmitters for the defense, matching the transmitter used to relay offensive calls to quarterbacks. As with the quarterback, the line of communication on defense will be open for 25 seconds and will shut off with 15 seconds remaining on the play clock.

"That levels the playing field quite a bit," LeBeau said.

One player -- in the Steelers' case, linebacker James Farrior -- will hear the defensive calls in his helmet. LeBeau will relay the calls to linebackers coach Keith Butler, who will speak to Farrior.

But not on every play, apparently.

"I think we're still going to have our (hand) signals, because in our defense, we don't get our calls until late sometimes," Farrior said. "I figure we'll just be using a lot of our signals still. I think (the transmitter) will help us out more when they're doing hurry-up or something."

LeBeau didn't want to spend much time rehashing Spygate.

"That's been whipped up pretty good," he said. "I think if you play well, it doesn't even matter if the other team knows what you're in, and if you don't play well, it doesn't help you to confuse 'em. The game usually comes down to how you play.

"I'd rather not the other team know our signals, though."
that about says it all. the teams should be able to go back to using their signals w/o having to worry about the opponents taping them.

no wonder the patriots spent so much time in the no huddle. :coffee:

Steelman16
08-10-2008, 01:45 AM
That sounds like a subtle Shut The Heck Up by LeBeau! :tt02: Can't say I disagree with it either. Nice to know you (should!) be able to use hand signals with ease, but it just repeats what we already know.

The Pats* are cheaters. :coffee:

Steel_Bus_24
08-10-2008, 09:22 AM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/MyNameIsBorat/cheaties.jpg

I hope we kick the living crap out of them this year

revefsreleets
08-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Puck the Fats.

Cheers in advance to all the teams that will be going on "The Revenge Tour". I hope it's this year...worst FO, worst coach, worst hype machine, and easily the worst fanbase in the universe.

SteelersMongol
08-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Nice read. Thanks for the post. Mr. LeBeau handled it well I think. You know with no moaning & whining. But those damn NE Cheaters. Once a cheater always a ... That's the only way they know to get their W.

shevdog
08-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Nice to hear LeBeau's take on this. And yes, defense getting in-helmet calls levels the playing field. And I agree with LeBeau mixing stuff up, cause I can imagine teams like the Patriots with a geek on squad that could listen in. High tech cheating, low tech... there will always be attempts at cheating.

The Duke
08-11-2008, 01:02 AM
LeBeau should kick belichick's ass. on behalf of the whole NFL of course

"I don't see how it could hurt 'em,"

I bet goodell doesn't understand this

Edman
08-11-2008, 01:07 AM
None of this means crap until we beat the Pats. I'm sick of losing to them.

Counselor
08-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Nice to hear LeBeau's take on this. And yes, defense getting in-helmet calls levels the playing field. And I agree with LeBeau mixing stuff up, cause I can imagine teams like the Patriots with a geek on squad that could listen in. High tech cheating, low tech... there will always be attempts at cheating.

Exactly---they'll tap in.

SteelMember
08-12-2008, 11:19 AM

Mabey Kraft will get involved with Motorola somehow so they can start intercepting all communications. Then they'd know both sides.
I see no advantage in that.:banging:
Air belongs to everyone, no matter what it contains.:chuckle:

Godfather
08-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Exactly---they'll tap in.

And when they get caught, Bellycheat* will say he had no idea it was illegal.

xfl2001fan
08-12-2008, 03:50 PM
And when they get caught, Bellycheat* will say he had no idea it was illegal.

Actually, the way around the whole headset thing is to report that yours doesn't work. Then both teams must go without them...and Belicheat can go back to stealing signals.

SteelMember
08-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Actually, the way around the whole headset thing is to report that yours doesn't work. Then both teams must go without them...and Belicheat can go back to stealing signals.

I believe someone from the "Geek Squad" may have to verify that.:chuckle:
Claiming ignorance dosen't get you out of anything.:rolleyes:

xfl2001fan
08-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I believe someone from the "Geek Squad" may have to verify that.:chuckle:
Claiming ignorance dosen't get you out of anything.:rolleyes:

And you think a guy who has circumvented the rules for years wouldn't be able to find a simple way of pulling that off? A little water in the headset...a small jamming device nearby...Cheap and effective.

43Hitman
08-12-2008, 06:22 PM
Heck, with today's technology you could do all sorts of things to eavesdrop on your opponent. And quiet frankly am surprised this hasn't come up sooner in the NFL. I guess we can be thankful that 31 coaches believe in morals and ethics and want to win fair and square instead of at all costs.

xfl2001fan
08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Heck, with today's technology you could do all sorts of things to eavesdrop on your opponent. And quiet frankly am surprised this hasn't come up sooner in the NFL. I guess we can be thankful that 31 coaches believe in morals and ethics and want to win fair and square instead of at all costs.

I doubt all 31 are that ethical. I just think that the rest have managed to not get caught. Belicheat comes across as the most arrogant HC in the NFL...and Metallica said it well in "Holier Than Thou"

Arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

43Hitman
08-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I doubt all 31 are that ethical. I just think that the rest have managed to not get caught. Belicheat comes across as the most arrogant HC in the NFL...and Metallica said it well in "Holier Than Thou"

Arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

Indeed.

beSteelmyheart
08-12-2008, 08:34 PM
I've already heard of problems with opposing teams' radio transmissions at Foxboro...or is this just a rumour? It doesn't sound good to me at all-like other posters have said, just another way to cheat. There will always be somebody who can figure out a way if there is a will to do so.
Thanks for the interesting read & thanks to Steel Bus 24 for the new "Cheaties" box, I was due for an update! lol

SteelMember
08-13-2008, 07:13 AM
And you think a guy who has circumvented the rules for years wouldn't be able to find a simple way of pulling that off? A little water in the headset...a small jamming device nearby...Cheap and effective.

That was my point to begin with.
I may have to use more pictures for ya brownie.:chuckle:=joke you may have missed. Oops. I hope the = dosen't throw you off.:doh: